Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6/904 project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
euro911
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 3 2018, 02:21 PM) *
The price of plasma cutters have come down so much , even JEGS has one that would be perfect for sheet metal for $300 . Sometimes much safer than a cutoff wheel. One exploded wheel and a trip to the ER could pay for the plasma!
Yeah, if you cut yourself real bad and bleed a lot, you just might need some extra plasma poke.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 3 2018, 05:41 PM) *

..Ever since then, it's full face shield, no glasses.

EXACTLY... I had a cut off wheel explode on me while restoring my volvo 1800E... the thing violently blew into chunks at a high rate of speed while running it without the %&*@*^ gaurd. 7 stitches across my chin, temporarily shifted teeth, barf.gif . Never again! I'm still coming to terms with running a cut off wheel at all. Only high quality disks now and never without a full faced helmet and guard installed on the machine. I'm just lucky it didn't hit my flimsy ass safety glasses. Ignore ALL the car shows on TV who never use a guard on their cut-off wheels! Take it as a warning guys, it sucks !
jcd914
Cut off wheels can be dangerous, always wear saftey gear.

I have had a few self destruct but only got minor nicks and cuts from them.

I did slip once and cut open my wrist with a cut off wheel.

Very little blood, the wheel cauterized the wound.

Pretty weird to look inside your wrist and see the tendons and such.

My friend with me was looking pretty green around the edges.

Drove myself to the urgent care clinic and got 10 stiches, no damage other than the skin.

Damn lucky, no gloves and probably no eye protection.

In a hurry late on a Wednesday night prepping a car for the track.

Dumb luck!

Jim
Unobtanium-inc
The shelves are all done, the steel really helped. Happy I found a use for the hot rolled stuff.
euro911
Looking good, Adam shades.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Nothing this week, I went to Wray's shop to work on the 550. I did get to meet Chris AKA tygaboy, that was fun. I always like when you can meet people you know online. That's why I love events like Hershey, actually meeting people, remember that?

I finished the lower panels on the 550 and started on the dash, which was kicking my arse, so luckily I ran out of day because I was running out of patience....

Luckily for me, Wray has his students working on the car too, so I don't have to try and tackle every inch of the car myself. Like that front fender, was done out of one piece of aluminum, stretches your brain a little to think about. Glad I didn't have to tackle that part.
Next week, back on the 904, it's like having two mistresses.
restore2seater
What's the purpose of the orange tape?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Apr 7 2018, 08:35 AM) *

What's the purpose of the orange tape?

So you can see the wire form, it's hard to see without it.
73-914
Looking good Adam
r_towle
Where is that shop?
I want to take a class there.

rich
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 7 2018, 12:37 PM) *

Where is that shop?
I want to take a class there.

rich

Rich,
The commute for you would probably be way better than it is for me. Wray's shop is in Charlton, MA.

www.proshaper.com

Anyone who wants to learn something new should take the class.
914forme
agree.gif
tygaboy
Hi Adam - Good to meet you, too. We just wrapped up the 2nd day of the class and pretty much the parts each of us were making also kicked our asses. It's really challenging, interesting and fun. Absolutely fascinating to work that flat piece of metal into something "automotively beautifully".
Your 550 was getting all sorts of love today, however, I was working on the Maserati 300S. I'll post pics of the adventure under a different thread.
Again, great to meet you and best of luck with both builds!
Chris
Unobtanium-inc
Well, I had planned to work on the 904 this week but other Porsches intervened. First the 993 blew up in my driveway, it actually just backfired, but it was enough to blow all the hoses off, so that sucked up a big part of a day dealing with it. Then today I flipped a coin and decided to drive to Wray's to work on the 550. Now that most of the outer panels are done it's really starting to take shape. I worked on the dash today and yes, every dash panel you see was formed by me, you can check my hairy arms in the pics!

More 904 updates next week, I promise.
Literati914
"914/904 Project Begins" ... but after 41 pages, has it actually begun? confused24.gif
All this other stuff is cool but I keep hoping a 904 will start taking shape in this thread.
porschetub
Yes me too its all about self promotion with lots pics of himself,gets flack on here and Pelican,don't know but appears folks don't like flippers,all those parts and never offers any for sale on here yet there is a market for them.
Recent attempts to weld panels in to the bastard child have resulted in lots of responses none that really say ''great work" Adam,as for rolling alloy panels that's only for very skilled people with decades of experience,appears not to be showing so far in the 914 ?
Don't try to be something you aren't and stop trying to impress folks man ,we are all born equal,even under the worse flaming you seem like a reasonable guy...think about that.
Rant over....get back to the car you started with.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 3 2018, 10:52 PM) *

Yes me too its all about self promotion with lots pics of himself,gets flack on here and Pelican,don't know but appears folks don't like flippers,all those parts and never offers any for sale on here yet there is a market for them.
Recent attempts to weld panels in to the bastard child have resulted in lots of responses none that really say ''great work" Adam,as for rolling alloy panels that's only for very skilled people with decades of experience,appears not to be showing so far in the 914 ?
Don't try to be something you aren't and stop trying to impress folks man ,we are all born equal,even under the worse flaming you seem like a reasonable guy...think about that.
Rant over....get back to the car you started with.

For the record, you are half correct, I don't offer parts for sale on this board, but I have given away two 914 engines on this board for FREE, as well as offered free 914 parts that are surplus to my needs at the Ski Roundtop Swap Meet every year.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...901&hl=free

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...520&hl=free

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...246&hl=free
Steve
Hey.. look a squirrel... how’s the 904 project coming along? Just curious..
Larmo63
He should call it the 9014.
Unobtanium-inc
A couple of points I want to touch on.
1. How much of the car have I personally made? This has been a behind the scenes joke that maybe I'm just paying someone to make me a 550 body, and I watch. Of the panels you see on the car I've made 12 of them. Wray has made some and his students have made some.
2. Why do I jump from project to project? There are forces beyond my control with the 550, I have been at the mercy of Wray's schedule, the work done on the wire frame, and I have to couple all that with my busy schedule, I'm on the road a lot getting cars and it's like being a fisherman, when the fish are biting, you're catching fish.

So in a perfect world I wouldn't have to make a living and I could work on my projects full time, trust me I would love that. But I make time when I can and have to work that around other people's schedules. For example, if my wife has to work late I have to get the kids after school, so obviously that isn't a day I can drive 4 hours to Mass and work on the 550.

So all jokes aside, that is why I'm forced to jump back and forth from project to project and no, I'm not just paying someone to build me a body. Can we move on now?
73-914
Bravo
Steve
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 4 2018, 08:12 AM) *

A couple of points I want to touch on.
1. How much of the car have I personally made? This has been a behind the scenes joke that maybe I'm just paying someone to make me a 550 body, and I watch. Of the panels you see on the car I've made 12 of them. Wray has made some and his students have made some.
2. Why do I jump from project to project? There are forces beyond my control with the 550, I have been at the mercy of Wray's schedule, the work done on the wire frame, and I have to couple all that with my busy schedule, I'm on the road a lot getting cars and it's like being a fisherman, when the fish are biting, you're catching fish.

So in a perfect world I wouldn't have to make a living and I could work on my projects full time, trust me I would love that. But I make time when I can and have to work that around other people's schedules. For example, if my wife has to work late I have to get the kids after school, so obviously that isn't a day I can drive 4 hours to Mass and work on the 550.

So all jokes aside, that is why I'm forced to jump back and forth from project to project and no, I'm not just paying someone to build me a body. Can we move on now?

I was just curious, since this thread is labeled 914-6/904 project begins and it had a bunch of other stuff in it. Maybe you should start another thread with your day job. Both are interesting and No, i am not one of the ones that are harassing you about your 904 build. I find all builds interesting.
wingnut86
Sorry I missed all the fun Adam & folks ( that's "people" for all the non-Southerners beer.gif ).

I too, have no dog in the hunt, as I'm minus 914s & tooling now that I gifted Blackie, jigs & Tools to the local H. School tech program.

Adam - carry on my good man.

When I buy my 1st 3 rotted out sailboats (new hobby), I'll send you images of my fine work! bs.gif

You folks take care & enjoy his craftsmanship for the purity that my millennial son will never have blink.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 4 2018, 10:13 AM) *

Sorry I missed all the fun Adam & folks ( that's "people" for all the non-Southerners beer.gif ).

Huh. My dictionary must be out of date:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Adam.

I call you the "Hot & Sour Adam" Some like you & some don't & your workmanship is excellent pray.gif It's a learning process what can be done with metal. w00t.gif smash.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif Never give up. piratenanner.gif

Tom
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 4 2018, 08:13 AM) *

I too, have no dog in the hunt, as I'm minus 914s & tooling now that I gifted Blackie, jigs & Tools to the local H. School tech program.

Adam - carry on my good man.

When I buy my 1st 3 rotted out sailboats (new hobby), I'll send you images of my fine work! bs.gif

You folks take care & enjoy his craftsmanship for the purity that my millennial son will never have blink.gif

Growing up in Atlanta it's good to hear someone talk southern, we don't hear much South Cakalaka speak in NY. Keep it comin'!
Do they still check your hearing in SC?
"Ya'll come back now, ya hear?"
Literati914
..and another page down with nothing 904 related. Let's keep it going, we may break some kind of record. Maybe there's a shot of an old lawnmower being repaired that can be added or something? anything to disappoint the 904 lovers out there, when they see this thread towards the top of the list biggrin.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Dougster @ May 4 2018, 12:29 PM) *
Let's keep it going, we may break some kind of record.

Not even close ...

If you added 7500 more pages(!)(Yes, pages, each with 20 posts) to this thread it would still be just #2
blink.gif
Tbrown4x4
I'm impressed by the wire forms, let alone a panel shaped to fit correctly.

I always jump in looking for 904 progress and am usually disappointed. sad.gif
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2018, 03:49 PM) *
Not even close ...

If you added 7500 more pages(!)(Yes, pages, each with 20 posts) to this thread it would still be just #2
blink.gif
Who's thread has over 7,500 pages? confused24.gif ... inquiring minds would like to know popcorn[1].gif
altitude411
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 4 2018, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2018, 03:49 PM) *
Not even close ...

blink.gif
Who's thread has over 7,500 pages? confused24.gif ... inquiring minds would like to know popcorn[1].gif

Well, not so much a thread ... more of a collection. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90964
euro911
Ah ha ...
Lucky9146
I check this thread occasionally and after reading the last few pages I see the problem.
Not enough 904 content!
I offer up this picture as an effort in that regard. biggrin.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, since everyone is clamoring for more 904 content, I can share the car I am using as kind of a guide for my build. 904-0031.
I've documented probably about a third of production in pictures but 0031 is my favorite, not a restored queen, more of a dirty track car.
Let me know what you think.
Lucky9146
A wonderful vision to be sure!
Probably the only car I would want to build would be a 904 so I am envious.
Finishing my car kicked my ass for some time to come.
Your build will be no small feat and many here want to cheer you on. Good success with the project and focus. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Unobtanium-inc
This is actually my favorite 904 picture, it was given to me by Gerry McCarthy, a dear friend who died a few years ago. He knew more about Porsches than anyone I've ever known. A graduate of the one and only Porsche Carrera School that was held in the back of Max Hoffman's, Gerry knew his stuff but more importantly was happy to share his knowledge. This is him racing with Herb Wetson back in the day.

His shop was legendary.

RIP Gerry.
Spoke
Cool pics.
porschetub
Never seen an aircleaner setup like that a 904 ,is that a streetable setup,road legal examples I have seen don't use those ,not like theres a lot around to check biggrin.gif .
Anyone picked up on the build a UK guy did on Pelican not too long ago ?,amazing car built off factory drawing for frame and glass panels.
Sorry don't have the link bugger ,cause would like to see it again.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 4 2018, 09:58 PM) *

Cool pics.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 5 2018, 12:18 AM) *

Never seen an aircleaner setup like that a 904 ,is that a streetable setup,road legal examples I have seen don't use those ,not like theres a lot around to check biggrin.gif .
Anyone picked up on the build a UK guy did on Pelican not too long ago ?,amazing car built off factory drawing for frame and glass panels.

I think you're onto something. Looks to be the street version. The only other car I can find is 0025, which I think was Sir Stirling Moss' street 904.
73-914
Awesome pics + the Cookie cutters are gr8 hehehe
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif 914904
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 5 2018, 12:18 AM) *

0031 did do some time on the track though, so who knows. I know they were experimenting throughout the program, trying this and that, so who knows.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, so the 550 is now at a good stopping point, I can jump back on the 904. If only we didn't have to have jobs, think of the things we could all do!!!

Larmo63
I think your project should be called the 9014.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, back at it, now that the Roadster is out of paint, the Mustang is pretty much done and the 550 is at a good stopping point, I will have some time to get back to the 904. I had a good day today, I just need to get the pics done.
Here are some highlights of the other cars.
Unobtanium-inc
Finished Roadster.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, I worked on the driver's side fender well today, forward of the shock tower. It was a tricky piece because it had two curves, which fought each other in the shaping process. I was able to get shape it and get it welded in place.
Look for more updates on the regular now that my other cars are done or able to be back burnered and with the selling season closing fast. Long cold NY winter days are perfect for beating metal!
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, selling season is officially over, so the personal car fun can go full swing. I was able to shape the rest of the inner fender today, it actually went pretty smooth. I plan to work on it again tomorrow, so stay tuned for welding.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, my hands hurt from pounding metal, but I got most of the fender shaped and welded in. It's ugly but I'm going for strength of the shock tower over beauty. All of this will be covered up by the fiberglass body so unless someone is reading this years from now the work I'm doing now will never see the light of day once the body is on.
Hopefully the passenger side will go faster. That's usually the way it works for me, 1st one is slow, 2nd one is faster.

Feels good to be working on the car again. Anyone ever think about how much we could all get done on our cars if we didn't have to have jobs?

Happy holidays everybody!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.