Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru transmission installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Porcharu
IPB Image

That's a Suby AWD trans converted to RWD with 2 parts <!-- emo&:beer2: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Convertor sleeve: AUD$120.00
Blanking plate: AUD$110.00
If bought together, total price AUD$210.00

Looks like a side shift linkage could be tweaked to work.

I just bought a 2005 (EJ25) engine and trans (2000 miles) for the 914 - let the fun begin.

I just sent an e-mail to sakercars to check on parts availability.

Steve. <!-- emo&:beer3: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->
d914
I'm a little a head of you on that one..been talking to them for awhile...about $500 for the kit with some intructions..been waiting availablitity..
banksyinoz
hi guys looks good all info on this would be good as there is a guy over here that would appreciate it he has an 04 sti with six speed but no shift linkages as yet smilie_pokal.gif
guiltless
I hear that the cable shifter system off of some Eclipses may work.
banksyinoz
headbang.gif 051103-stupid4.gif their over here screwy.gif
im on there case mueba.gif
Loser_Cruiser
So were can one got to get these parts? Also how would an eclipses cable shifter work? the transmissions are in the front of those.
lapuwali
Cables don't care if they're going forwards or backwards, so long as they're long enough. Two cables and a bit of linkage and you can operating a tail shifter with no bushing problems. The Scoupe is another car that has a linkage that's apparently quite adaptable. I'm sure several fwd cars have readily adaptable setups. You can also buy push-pull cables from McMaster-Carr and just use linkage bits off other cars. You might even make the Subaru setup work.
fiid
MMMMmmmmm... Six speed.

It's got to be done.

guiltless
When someone actually does it let me know. It is exactly what I am going to mate to my race 2.5t (when I get that built)
Mueller
if the kit costs 500 bucks, what benifit do you achieve here besides a supply of new transmissions?

Seems awefully expensive, but without seeing the parts that's kind of unfair to say that smile.gif

d914
Partly:

- newer cheaper trannys with plenty of expensive options
- eliminate the adapter plate (some $$) stock clutch, stock and aftermarket fly wheels.
- possibly stronger
- Took the note from Brad on the main bearing races being bad. Alittle of looking to the future save the good old boxes, tear up the subyies...
- high performace 6 speed option, also much stronger.. $3+k
- standard shift pattern, looking for a true daily beater, again if I trash one its $500 or less for a replacement in good condition. Possibility of adapting their cv's, haven't gotten that far.
- it sounded like a cool idea!!!! still have a good 901 box and will probably hold on to it in reserve and or flexabilty to future projects...
- track use 3-4 gear shifts, most often used here, stright up and down, alittle safer than the cross shift of the 901..
db9146
Anyone heard of mounting a Suby trans behind a large 6 (3.2 or 3.6)? If the parts are readily available to convert an AWD to a RWD and the stock WRXs are putting out 300hp, this seems like another potential option to a really expensive 915 or a lot of work on an Audi trans.

Thoughts?
d914
Kind of, saker motor sports makes a mid-engine sports racer using subaru engine and trannies. They also subsitude in lexus v-8's and such. For a v-8 or high hp motor i'd look at the sti tranny. 3-4k but little to no modification, 6 speed, and plenty of aftermarket support for the high $$ guys.. billet gears, dog gears , etc...
airsix
since the modifiaction cost is about the same as the cost of adapting the 901 to the Suby motor I'd look at this for the following reasons:

• Is the FWD modified Suby tranny strong enough?
  • Does it shift faster than the 901 (surely it does)
  • What is the weight compared to the 901?
  • Does the shifting feel better than the 901 (surely yes)
  • Are the CV's stronger?

-Ben M.
Matt Monson
Go drive a 6spd Subaru before you commit your $$$ to one of those trannies. For a street driven car, I would never want one. They are super close ratio and you shift all the time around town. I would take a 5spd out of an RS over an STi 6spd anyday. And I really doubt you can adapt a cable clutch to them either. They are push style, and hydraulic. But it really shouldn't be that hard to make the OE Subaru master and slave cylinder work on it if you are resourceful...
Porcharu
Here is everything I know so far,
There was a little confusion with RWD and FWD - they use the term FWD to describe the AWD transmission with the original stuff to drive the rear end removed.

Suby 2 wheel drive conversion parts

G'day Guy,

Yes, we do have the parts to convert the Subaru box to 2wd. The parts for the
conversion consist of a machined locking sleeve and a cast aluminium backing
plate for the extension housing. Please note that these items will only suit a
5 speed Subaru box, not the 6 speed.

Prices for the parts are as follows:

Convertor sleeve: AUD$120.00
Blanking plate: AUD$110.00
If bought together, total price AUD$210.00

All prices are in Australian dollars and shipping will be additional to these
prices.

Please let me know if you would like to go ahead with your order, and don't
hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
Brett Longhurst,
Saker Cars Australia

www.sakercars.com.au

Hi Steve,

The parts we have actually convert the AWD box to front wheel drive for use as a transaxle in a rear mount engine configuration. The extension housing is removed from the rear of the gearbox and a blanking plate fitted to centre diff housing. All the torque is sent to the front diff inside the gearbox.

Converting the box to RWD is a different matter, which we haven't done before.
If you get stuck, we could possibly look into what would be required to do a RWD conversion for you, but I can't make any promises. What application are you using the gearbox in?

Best Regards,
Brett Longhurst,
Saker Cars Australia

www.sakercars.com.au

Porcharu
Some more info for those interested.

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the misunderstanding... Yes we still have parts in stock.

There are three options for shipping:

- Economy air mail, 2-4 weeks delivery, $37AUD
- Air mail, 3-10 business days delivery, $46AUD
- EMS International Courier, priority handling, door to door, $63AUD

Let me know which shipping you would prefer, and I will send you an itemised invoice for payment. Once we recieve payment, we will despatch the goods to your address, which you will also need to provide me. Simple as that!

So just let me know about the shipping and your delivery address, and I'll forward an invoice on to you.

Kind Regards,
Brett Longhurst,
Saker Cars Australia.

www.sakercars.com.au

1 AUD = 0.74 USD today
Parts plus air mail = 189.44 USD

Anyone interesed?
Brett W
The Suby tranny seems like decent option, but why not go with the Audi gearbox. Yes it will require an adapter plate but it is probably a stronger tranny.

As far as the cable shift look at the Honda Accord. You won't be able to use the cables from any FWD car. You will have to get custom length cables. I would really look at spending good cheese on nice cables. Having a good feeling shifter is something that all 914 owners strive for.
Brian Mifsud
Does anyone have any numbers on what the Subaru boxes are rated for in Torque (ft-lbs)?

Having a six speed is nice if you have a peaky high reving engine where it's tough to stay in the torque band.

airsix
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Nov 3 2005, 11:19 AM)
Does anyone have any numbers on what the Subaru boxes are rated for in Torque (ft-lbs)?

More specifically, how much torque can it handle when converted like this so that 100% of the tourque goes to what were previously the front axles.

-Ben M.
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Nov 3 2005, 11:19 AM)

Having a six speed is nice if you have a peaky high reving engine where it's tough to stay in the torque band.

Up until the recent drops in HP and tq on those cars, they used to be delivered with 280/280 from the factory for the late '90's and into MY00. People consistently put upwards of 350 through them. And there are significantly stronger gearsets available if you are going for broke. I have Albins gearsets for them, and PPG, also in Australia makes gears. But they are not cheap. Like $2500 or more a set. Stay away from the modern STi-RA replacments you can find for $1500 or so. They are no longer made by Albins and people are seeing failures right and left...
Porcharu
These parts are only for the 5-speed trans.

The only thing that would see more stress in the AWD to 2 wheel drive is all of the power will be going thru the ring and pinion intsead of some to the rear and some to the front. The actuall transmission portion doesn't know how many diffs it is driving.

The Audi transmissions have the starter in the wrong place and facing the wrong way for a Suby or VW engine.
Porcharu
I'm going to order one set of parts within 24 hours - anybody want to add to the order?
Steve.
banksyinoz
i am also talking to them as to whether or not this will fit the auto box just incase anyone is interested , i am currently running the auto with my ej20t

hey what about the speedo anyone? anyone?
darned if i know ,any ideas anyone?
Porcharu
The FWD automatics should be easy to find, no need to convert an AWD unit.
banksyinoz
cant say ive ever even seen one here and mine is a 94 box but i will investigate wink.gif
guiltless
Just spoke with a suby owner buddy of mine and he is saying that the 5-speed of choice for the high power WRX guys is the STI RA from the Version5 STI. Very strong tranny with 5 gears instead of 6 that are right on top of each other.
db9146
This is some good info but just to clarify for myself, you are all talking about which Suby trans to use behind a Suby engine, correct? Has anyone mated a Suby trans to a Porsche -6?
Porcharu
I just found out that a bank wire transfer costs $50. Does anyone else want to split the wire transfer costs? I am ready to order the parts and have 2 other people that want 3 kits. $190 per kit plus a portion of the wire transfer and shiping to your place.
I am placing the order on Monday.
Steve
BTW - Sager is changing from the cast aluminum plate to a CNC'd billet aluminum plate. They even offered to put the club logo on the part if we have a group buy.
Porcharu
I forgot to add that this kit is only for the 5 speed - NOT the 6 speed.
andys
QUOTE (srbliss @ Nov 10 2005, 06:41 AM)
I just found out that a bank wire transfer costs $50. Does anyone else want to split the wire transfer costs? I am ready to order the parts and have 2 other people that want 3 kits. $190 per kit plus a portion of the wire transfer and shiping to your place.
I am placing the order on Monday.
Steve
BTW - Sager is changing from the cast aluminum plate to a CNC'd billet aluminum plate. They even offered to put the club logo on the part if we have a group buy.

If you're dealing with a reputable vendor, simply use a credit card to avoid wire transfer fees. You'll also nail down the exchange rate, otherwise it may change during the transfer process.

Andys
fiid
You could also just mail him a check. The banks will take some fees and it's exposed to currency fluctuation, but it doesn't cost $50.

banksyinoz
QUOTE (srbliss @ Nov 4 2005, 08:11 AM)
The FWD automatics should be easy to find, no need to convert an AWD unit.

spoke to a guy who is mad on early kombies ex porsche mechanic over here he put me on the right track with the 2wd auto so i might just have to see how much they can hold for $450 a pop, he also told me that they look just like a normal box with out the rear drive and that the rear cover has a mount cast into it it may be useful information confused24.gif
MrKona
Hi guys,

I'm contemplating a suby conversion "one day", and the thought of have a 914 with crisp modern shifting is really enticing. I'm a little ignorant on mechanical things outside of the 914 though...

1. Am I reading correctly that the Subaru transmission uses cables, rather than a shift bar?

2. How would you mate up the rear transmission case to the 914? Fabricate custom mounts for the 914 body mount areas?

3. This plan works with the Subaru automatic as well as the manual?

Thanks - Again, pardon my ignorance...

huh.gif
banksyinoz
1. not 100% but shaft i think but u would probably use cables

2.you can use the original mounting points of the 914
the five & six speeds have a mount under the box straight below the 914 ones, auto awd need to have a mount built to support as its nearer to the rear of the box as well as the 2wd auto as i have been let to believe,
so to say they have to be fabricated although not very technical
good luck biggrin.gif
Porcharu
I am planning on using the original (914) shifter and as much of the linkage as possible.

Yes custom mounts need to be made up.

The auto trans should be easier to swap in, no clutch linkage and a very simple "shifter"

nsyr
what about cv hookup?
MrKona
So let me make sure I've got this right... If you use an automatic transmission, you are (theoretically) using the stock shift linkage (and some cable possibly) to shift from "1" to "2" to "P" and "R", as if you could with a standard automatic transmission? (Minus a torque converter)

You'd lose the need (and the ability) to drive with a clutch?

Also, regarding NSYR's question, have you give thought to the CVs?

Thanks - this topic is pretty interesting... idea.gif
MrKona
On second thought, I guess the torque converter is part of the automatic transmission... very confusing, must go to bed. yellowsleep[1].gif
banksyinoz
found some 2wd trannies over here $1100aud what a joke i can buy an awd wrx with auto front cut for 2000.

914 cvs with suby outputs mated to them it looks factory

suby shifter, looked at longer cable ,up under dash down side of car into boot down through floor to auto, this then is the same as the suby, b&m make longer cables that would be very simmilar

autos have 4.1-1 final drive
manuals have 2 . 3.7-1 , 3.9-1 (as i have been told)

took some pics with the slr this morning will have them developed and post tonight ej20 auto in the car with the extension housing removed including cvs aktion035.gif
jsteele22

I did a little reading about Subaru trannys and I've got a few questions for those who know anything about these beasties.

1) Will any tranny that came from an EJ series engine bolt on to any other EJ series engine (in particular from a EJ22 car to a EJ25) ? I know gear ratios and strength come into play, but I'm just asking about the physical fit.

2) Does the manual tranny (5 speed) have any sort of electronic interface, or is it purely a passive mechanical system ?

3) For the auto tranny, it sounds like there is NOT an available part to convert AWD to FWD, right ? So I guess that means finding a FWD tranny. Anybody know what kind of electronic info is required to control these ? I think I read that some Suby trannys have an input to control the shift points based on RPM and pedal stompage. I wouldn't mind coding this in MegaSquirt, but I have no idea what kind of I/O the tranny expects.

4) srbliss : Have you got your conversion parts ? Any comments ?

FWIW, my long national EBay nightmare is entering week 8. Supposedly I have a fresh EJ25 engine that has progressed from NY to a loading dock somewhere in Michigan, but I've got serious doubts..... WIsh me luck.
Porcharu
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 28 2005, 02:45 PM)
I did a little reading about Subaru trannys and I've got a few questions for those who know anything about these beasties.

1) Will any tranny that came from an EJ series engine bolt on to any other EJ series engine (in particular from a EJ22 car to a EJ25) ? I know gear ratios and strength come into play, but I'm just asking about the physical fit.

2) Does the manual tranny (5 speed) have any sort of electronic interface, or is it purely a passive mechanical system ?

3) For the auto tranny, it sounds like there is NOT an available part to convert AWD to FWD, right ? So I guess that means finding a FWD tranny. Anybody know what kind of electronic info is required to control these ? I think I read that some Suby trannys have an input to control the shift points based on RPM and pedal stompage. I wouldn't mind coding this in MegaSquirt, but I have no idea what kind of I/O the tranny expects.

4) srbliss : Have you got your conversion parts ? Any comments ?

FWIW, my long national EBay nightmare is entering week 8. Supposedly I have a fresh EJ25 engine that has progressed from NY to a loading dock somewhere in Michigan, but I've got serious doubts..... WIsh me luck.

1) I "think" any trans from "any" EJ series engine will bolt to "any" EJ engine, some have 4 bolts and the newer ones have 8.

2) The 5 speed has 2 swithes on it. I would guess one is for the reverse lights and the other is neutral switch. No other wires on the trans.

3) I don't know - I do know that lots of FWD autos were made, even the 6 cyl SVX came in FWD.

4) I have not got the parts - still sorting out payment to Australia, looks like Paypal is the way to go.

CV joints are "supposed" to be a no brainer as the splines on the Subaru shafts are the same as the 914. I don't have my shafts yet so I don't know for sure if this is true.

Steve

Good luck on getting your engine.
Porcharu
Take a look here for Subaru service manuals. Loads of information on the automatic control stuff.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080...u_manual_scans/

jsteele22
QUOTE (srbliss @ Nov 30 2005, 03:25 PM)
Take a look here for Subaru service manuals. Loads of information on the automatic control stuff.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080...u_manual_scans/

Thanks, great link. I learned that I really don't want an automatic !
guiltless
Here's the question I have... How do we shift the damn thing? I know that cable shifting shows much potential...

One thing that concerns me is that I would like to use dog engagement on gears 1-4, whether I get to or not is a different story, and solid linkage is the only thing that really works for that. So... is it possible to fabricate a series of pivots that would allow the use of solid rod linkage?
Porcharu
Like I said earlier - I plan on using the stock style linkage with the Subaru transmission. I don't see why it can't be done.
banksyinoz
confused24.gif
banksyinoz
wacko.gif
banksyinoz
blink.gif
banksyinoz
ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.