Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru transmission installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Porcharu
QUOTE(atsealevel914 @ Mar 20 2008, 06:35 PM) *

Steve, Hello. Any idea when youre gonna ship the flanges out?

As soon as I get them I will send them out. I am waiting for an update from the shop.
Steve
Porcharu
Good news! I was told that I should have the parts sometime this week. As soon as I get them I will send them out to those that purchased.
Steve
racerx9146
Awesome, we will tell you how they hold up after the 25 hours of Thunderhill, assuming we get the car ready smile.gif

John Daron

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 26 2008, 07:35 PM) *

Good news! I was told that I should have the parts sometime this week. As soon as I get them I will send them out to those that purchased.
Steve

spunone
Sorry Steve ,,Charlie's 2 sets and yours heading out today UPS forsure allready boxed and by the door.
charliew
I know this has been a long ordeal for you Steve. I really appreciate the effort. Of course a machinist and good welder could accomplish a similiar feat but it will never look as professional or be as exact as these. Also thanks Paul for the nice dust covers. Now if I could just get started. I'm trying to get other projects done in order so to have room to store the parts I remove to sell or save and reinstall. Also I am trying to get some finished to make enough to get a lift and have the space to dedicate for a lift.
Charliew
Porcharu
Looks like sometime this week was today! I have a big heavy box packed with nice parts drooley.gif . I will get them packed up this weekend and out to those who purchased on Monday! piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif
charliew
Was it Tony the tiger who used to say? GRRRREEEAT !!!!

Charliew
Zaney
You RAWK! Thanks again for taking this on! I am excited about possibility of the kit that you are pursuing too!
Unfortunately for me, these cool parts are going to my build up shelf for now.(House projects getting in the way bs.gif )

Awesome Steve!
spunone
You did get the package from UPS I hope ?
Porcharu
Got it today!
Steve

QUOTE(spunone @ Mar 29 2008, 05:10 PM) *

You did get the package from UPS I hope ?

Porcharu
The flanges are on the way! I sent everyone a PM with the tracking #'s except "William Satchwell" - If you are him PM me and I will send you the tracking #. I will send Charlie his 2 sets on Tuesday along with the nice dust covers.
Steve
Porcharu
My records show that everyone has received the magic flanges.

Any comments on the parts - I think they are pretty nice.

They should as they were made by Rockford (no you can't email them and have them made - I can't and I designed the dang things.)
Rockford link

Steve
TravisNeff
Hey Steve,

If someone would like these in the future, how do we do that?
charliew
I don't think they could be any nicer. I might get them powdercoated though. I don't think the black nitrited finish will hold up as long as powdercoat. I am very happy with them. Glad I got two sets with the nice dust covers. I hope the rest of my car is up to these standards if I ever finish it.
Charliew
racerx9146
perfect fit, better machining than any OEM manufacturer, what more could we ask for 10/10!!

thanks again John Daron
Porcharu
Start begging biggrin.gif Actually just PM me and I will start a new list, I need 10 pairs sold to sell them at the same price.
Steve
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 17 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Hey Steve,

atsealevel914
The flanges are awsome! Thanks Steve, I greatly appreciate your effort.
sotaro
Hi Steve,
How is your build going? Any closer to the engine subframe? You are sticking with the radiator in the N.A. engine compartment? Is weight balance is similar to a 2.0 stock 914? I understand you are busy, and I am just hoping to benefit from your very rational sounding approach.
thanks!
ldscamaross
I have also been wondering how everybody has been doing on there projects. Haven’t heard much since the flanges have come. I am hoping to finish my engine cradle this weekend. It is a little more elaborate than what I was thinking of doing in the first place. I have a shop crane that I am using with a lift so the engine mount has been a breeze. The engine just hangs there and I can measure and weld the system up. Im not sure exactly how far forward the transmission is sitting from where the stock tranny was. My tail shaft on the Subaru is just touching the back bumper piece. How is everybody else mounting theirs? I have also decided to cut into the rear trunk. I am only cutting back to where the strut towers stop. It is allowing me fewer problems and a much easier install. I can use the OEM style down pipe on the turbo and have no trouble with the starter. I will also have no problems with the clutch slave cylinder. The engine will also be sitting a little higher so I won’t have to worry about the oil pan. I am going to put a skid plate under the whole thing for protection and also it may help with aerodynamics. I have decided to go with a front mount radiator and put an air to water intercooler in front of the engine. I haven’t seen very many really good ideas of ways to get air through intercoolers. I am planning on using the vf-39 turbo which is the stock turbo on a sti. It makes around 350 horse and 385 tq and I want to be able to keep the air charge cool. Also going to water cooled won’t be much more expensive than air cooled by the time you consider running pipe and labor. I am gong to mount the air to water in the trunk which will give the least amount of volume for the turbo to fill. It will be a little longer than stock but not much. I also just purchased a Cobb access port and street tuner software for it as well. This way I can do all of my tuning and have access to all the safety of the stock computer. I still don’t understand why everybody is going to an aftermarket stand alone system. I know they work well but what is the big problem with the factory system. if your swapping the engine and trans, and using the whole wiring harness which is what I am going to do why not use the oem computer. Yes I am also using the complete Subaru wiring harness and gutting the 914 harness. I am even planning on making some custom hid projector headlights for it. Well that is a bit for now. Are you guys making a lot of progress on your cars?
Zaney
QUOTE(ldscamaross @ May 3 2008, 12:06 PM) *

I have also been wondering how everybody has been doing on there projects. Haven’t heard much since the flanges have come. I am hoping to finish my engine cradle this weekend. It is a little more elaborate than what I was thinking of doing in the first place. I have a shop crane that I am using with a lift so the engine mount has been a breeze. The engine just hangs there and I can measure and weld the system up. Im not sure exactly how far forward the transmission is sitting from where the stock tranny was. My tail shaft on the Subaru is just touching the back bumper piece. How is everybody else mounting theirs? I have also decided to cut into the rear trunk. I am only cutting back to where the strut towers stop. It is allowing me fewer problems and a much easier install. I can use the OEM style down pipe on the turbo and have no trouble with the starter. I will also have no problems with the clutch slave cylinder. The engine will also be sitting a little higher so I won’t have to worry about the oil pan. I am going to put a skid plate under the whole thing for protection and also it may help with aerodynamics. I have decided to go with a front mount radiator and put an air to water intercooler in front of the engine. I haven’t seen very many really good ideas of ways to get air through intercoolers. I am planning on using the vf-39 turbo which is the stock turbo on a sti. It makes around 350 horse and 385 tq and I want to be able to keep the air charge cool. Also going to water cooled won’t be much more expensive than air cooled by the time you consider running pipe and labor. I am gong to mount the air to water in the trunk which will give the least amount of volume for the turbo to fill. It will be a little longer than stock but not much. I also just purchased a Cobb access port and street tuner software for it as well. This way I can do all of my tuning and have access to all the safety of the stock computer. I still don’t understand why everybody is going to an aftermarket stand alone system. I know they work well but what is the big problem with the factory system. if your swapping the engine and trans, and using the whole wiring harness which is what I am going to do why not use the oem computer. Yes I am also using the complete Subaru wiring harness and gutting the 914 harness. I am even planning on making some custom hid projector headlights for it. Well that is a bit for now. Are you guys making a lot of progress on your cars?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Sorry, inquiring minds want to know!
Sounds like an awesome project! Post some pics when you can!
Thanks!
ldscamaross
i will try to post some tomarrow if i have time. i just aboout have the engine cradle done. it is taking alot longer than i thought. trying to center the engine and tranny and make it level and build mounts takes forever. i have the main structure tac welded and tomarrow morning i am going to finish welding it. the rest of the mount will have to wait for awile because i am going down to southern utah for my summer job.
porubi
What is the current status of the shallow oil pans?

www.projectaerosol.com/porubi/

I know it's a 911 not a 914.
Porcharu
I have a kit I purchased from SharpBuilt in Australia. It's not very impressive for the cost. I hope to start working on getting it welded up pretty soon.
Steve
EMRoadster
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 17 2008, 10:10 PM) *

Start begging biggrin.gif Actually just PM me and I will start a new list, I need 10 pairs sold to sell them at the same price.
Steve

Hey Steve,

Just checking in to see what the statis is and to make sure I'm on the list for a pair out of the next run of flanges.

Thanks,
EMRoadster
QUOTE(EMRoadster @ Jun 30 2008, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 17 2008, 10:10 PM) *

Steve

Hey Steve,

Just checking in to see what the statis is and to make sure I'm on the list for a pair out of the next run of flanges.

Thanks,

Checking in to see if there is any updates on the next batch of flanges?

Thanks,
Porcharu
I just got a new quote for a small run of 5 sets of flanges. Unfortunately the cost has gone up and the smaller run costs more per part. For five sets of flanges I will need to add $50/pair to the original price. More sets ordered will slightly lower the cost. New price will be $545 a pair. Who wants in on this order??
Steve
EMRoadster
Count me in for two pairs. aktion035.gif

With hopes enough other people join it to help bring the price back down. poke.gif

Thanks,

Greg Duncan
gduncan2 at comcast.net
Tucson, AZ

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Nov 18 2008, 11:44 AM) *

I just got a new quote for a small run of 5 sets of flanges. Unfortunately the cost has gone up and the smaller run costs more per part. For five sets of flanges I will need to add $50/pair to the original price. More sets ordered will slightly lower the cost. New price will be $545 a pair. Who wants in on this order??
Steve

Porcharu
Something new to add to this thread!!!! I was pointed toward a vendor with a shifter for our cars. I talked to him and I have ordered one shifter kit that will be at my door mid January - I will modify the kit and sent the parts back to him and we will have an official Suby into 914 cable shift trans kit - off the shelf and ready to go. We will also have a group buy!!!!
Steve
charliew
Sounds good to me!!
Carlitos Way
That's a great idea. I hope it comes through. I've already spent the money to have my rod adjusted/modified... but this might be a GREAT way to go for others... or perhaps something to consider as my project has been delayed.
ldscamaross
i would be intrested, i havnt gotten to that point yet. still working on wiring. but lets see what you have come up with
Zaney
Steve,
I am in! driving.gif

Thanks!
Nate
Porcharu
Here it is sitting in my car, this is about where it will be mounted. It seems just about right. The cables go into the access port and out the old shift rod hole (I will need to add another hole for the second cable.) The whole thing should be easy to hide in a custom console that could be made to look very stock.
Porcharu
Does anyone need a set of flanges? I have 3 people that need them but I have a minimum order of 5 sets.
strawman
Has anyone successfully installed a Suby transmission with these flanges yet? If so, can I get some pics & details on how the install went? Thanks in advance!
Porcharu
look here
Subi
Lots of detail - not sure if it is for my flanges.
Steve
TwinTurbo914
Plz sign me up on that list for the flanges, I am currently getting some money together for them but it sound like it will be a little bit before they are ready to order so please let me know.

I have used that supplier for the cable shift setup, we built a 550 spyder replica with a 3.0 911 engine in it with the 901 trans. Very nice quality and it only took about 2 weeks to get it. He makes the cable shift setup for the subaru transmission'ed dune buggies so its just a simple modification of the length of the cables
charliew
TT914, I desagree on the sandrail or the saker type cable location. It's not just the cable length. That is why porscharu is working on the new setup for the 914. The old version has one of the cables I think it's the rotate motion cable coming down at a 45 degree angle at the top and it would not fit under the floor of the 914. He is re-orienting the tranny mounting position of the cables to fit the suby tranny in the 914. That might mean that the piece that goes on the shift shaft will need to be changed because of the hole that attaches it to the shaft will need to be relocated.
strawman
I really like the idea of this setup, but I still can't find a real-world example of a running 914 using these flanges. Anyone?
charliew
Whats not real world about the flanges and vw bus cvs and axles? Or if the bus axles aren't the right length get swayaway axles. I'm going to use 911 stubs and brakes but the trailing arms need to be redone for the wheels offset that I want to use. There is no question about whether the flanges will work with 100mm cvs on the suby tranny.
Porcharu
The reason you don't see a real world example is that no one has finished and posted their project online. I know for a fact that anyone that uses my flanges with bus axles will work perfectly - I guaranty it.
Steve

QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 28 2009, 03:21 PM) *

I really like the idea of this setup, but I still can't find a real-world example of a running 914 using these flanges. Anyone?

charliew
Steve the bus axles may not be the right length if they don't put the motor in the same position you have yours.
strawman
Kewl, I have no doubt that the magic flanges will work perfectly for those using 100mm CVs, and I look forward to seeing a working example -- particularly someone who's successfully implemented a workable cable-shifting solution.

My cable shifter is all worked out in my head, and I've recorded the throws/degree turns of the Suby transmission shifting input rod in a spreadsheet. I've already procured a Toyota MR2 shifter and a Mitsubishi Eclipse shifter for mock-ups, including the shifter cables from the MR2. The MR2 shifter assembly seemingly makes the most sense, since it was used in a mid-engine car and the cable controls point toward the back of the car. However, its throws are looooong. The Eclipse shifter mechanism has slightly shorter throws and seems more robust than the MR2 unit. I'll post some pics in the coming weeks on my build write-up (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=83031)

Geoff

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 1 2009, 01:02 AM) *

The reason you don't see a real world example is that no one has finished and posted their project online. I know for a fact that anyone that uses my flanges with bus axles will work perfectly - I guaranty it.
Steve

QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 28 2009, 03:21 PM) *

charliew
The shifter throws are only long if you make them that way. It's simply a matter of figuring out the relationship between the shifter and the length of the arm on the tranny shaft. Of course the shorter the tranny shaft arm the more effort it will require to shift. On the forward and back motion you can shorten the shifter stick or add a extension on the bottom of the shifter to improve the ratio. You might also check out a fiero shifter.
Porcharu
Who wants flanges?? I have enough people that have PM'd me to make another order. If you are really ready to write me a check send me a PM. I need to have 5 sets of flanges before I can order another order of parts. I am going to do this order for FREE, I will only charge the actual cost of the parts plus shipping. All of my time is free because I want more people to do the full tilt Suby swap. Once I have 5 confirmed orders I will get an exact quote and get the cost out to you.
Steve
Porcharu
Good news!!!
I will be able to sell the flanges for the original price of $495/pair!!! I just have to invest in 10 sets so I will have 5 sets sitting on my shelf - hopefully they will sell or I will be out a lot of money. My cost for 5 sets was $630/pair because the cost of splining is the same for 10 parts or 20 parts. I will start the ball rolling next week. I will still need prepayment for the parts as I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Steve
DBCooper
QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 16 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Good news!!!
I will be able to sell the flanges for the original price of $495/pair!!! I just have to invest in 10 sets so I will have 5 sets sitting on my shelf - hopefully they will sell or I will be out a lot of money. My cost for 5 sets was $630/pair because the cost of splining is the same for 10 parts or 20 parts. I will start the ball rolling next week. I will still need prepayment for the parts as I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Steve

PM sent.
Porcharu
bump
EMRoadster
QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 16 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Good news!!!
Steve

Steve,
That is GREAT News!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

PM me the details to send payment. beerchug.gif

Thanks,
charliew
Don't forget you can get the seal dust covers from spunone also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.