914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
TwinTurbo914
great let me get my finances in order and ill definatly order a set
DBCooper
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 16 2009, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 16 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Good news!!!
I will be able to sell the flanges for the original price of $495/pair!!! I just have to invest in 10 sets so I will have 5 sets sitting on my shelf - hopefully they will sell or I will be out a lot of money. My cost for 5 sets was $630/pair because the cost of splining is the same for 10 parts or 20 parts. I will start the ball rolling next week. I will still need prepayment for the parts as I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Steve

PM sent.

No PM back with a PayPal address. Did you get my message?
Porcharu
I am getting ready to order the parts and write a big fat check, looks like I have plenty of buyers - 7 sets so far. If we can get over 10 the price for everyone starts dropping (the splining cost is constant due to the low volume.) PM me and I'll send you the payment details. If I can get the cost down I will just put checks in the boxes when they ship out to you.
Steve
jimkelly
steve - how close are you to being able to offer an engine mount and the two versions of trans mounts? - jim
Porcharu
Before I can work on the 914 I need to finish my DD Volvo. I am just getting ready to go out and work on (actually in) the Volvo. I am almost done installing the sound deadening material on the firewall and then a little wiring and I can finally install the heater/AC core and the dash. Once that is done I need to install a full set of urethane suspension bushing and my Koni yellows and it is good to go and I can finally work on the 914.
I have the front of the engine mount done and I have the design for the rear part in my head. The trans mount is going to be easy and I may integrate the shifter mount into that if it looks like a good thing. I dropped the flange off at the shop yesterday so they can have it while the G code is prepared.
Steve
EMRoadster
Well my check is in the mail... at least it will be Friday morning when I go to work. biggrin.gif

I'm allready looking forward for that package on the door step. drooley.gif

Thanks Steve!

QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 18 2009, 03:40 PM) *

I am getting ready to order the parts and write a big fat check, looks like I have plenty of buyers - 7 sets so far. If we can get over 10 the price for everyone starts dropping (the splining cost is constant due to the low volume.) PM me and I'll send you the payment details. If I can get the cost down I will just put checks in the boxes when they ship out to you.
Steve

charliew
You guys might as well get some of Dr. Evil's bolts to go with these flanges.
Porcharu
Get them - and learn how to use them. Both sides of the axles. I don't even want to think of the mess that loose axles would make. Both of mine were loose when I pulled my engine.
Steve
Porcharu
Getting closer!! I have 4 sets paid for, and at least 2 checks in the mail. I will place the order next week. Should be done in under 3 weeks.
Steve
Porcharu
Just a quick post to make sure I have everyone on the list who has sent me a check.
Brandon - 1 pair
Dan - 2 pairs
William - 1 pair
Ronald - 2 pair
Job - 1 pair
Anyone else??
DBCooper
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 18 2009, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 16 2009, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 16 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Good news!!!
I will be able to sell the flanges for the original price of $495/pair!!! I just have to invest in 10 sets so I will have 5 sets sitting on my shelf - hopefully they will sell or I will be out a lot of money. My cost for 5 sets was $630/pair because the cost of splining is the same for 10 parts or 20 parts. I will start the ball rolling next week. I will still need prepayment for the parts as I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Steve

PM sent.

No PM back with a PayPal address. Did you get my message?

ME TOO! Please let me know how much and where/how to send it.
charliew
Guys look at the suby cv's and check out the dust covers on the inside for the tranny seals. Spunone makes some nice aluminum dust covers that press on the magic flanges to shield the tranny seals.
Porcharu
I placed the order and wrote the big check to the shop. ETA is about 5 weeks.
Steve
Porcharu
The flanges are almost ready to head out to have the splines cut. I also am having the locking coupler and cover plate quoted, should know the cost pretty soon. With the dollar in the toilet the Ausi parts are very expensive these days.
Steve
Porcharu
I can't believe it - I sold all 10 pairs of flanges! I guess I will have to start up another list.
Steve
VOX
cool!, i hope some of you guys get a working car soon! using the subaru transmission, hopefully a good write up on it too
jimkelly
guess i will not be selling my 1975 914 after all - looking forward to having a screaming suby powered/suby transmissioned/clean emissioned 914 as a daily driver. zoom zoom zoom : )
Porcharu
I visited the shop today. Parts should return from the broaching place on Friday. Then just a clean up and off to the coater for the black oxide finish and they are DONE. I should be able to ship them sometime next week.
Steve
JJ914GT
Good to hear! One of the last pieces of my puzzle biggrin.gif
atsealevel914
Does anyone need a pair of magic flanges? I dont need mine anymore. 500.00 plus shipping. Includes dust rings from spunone. Email me at obiwankanobi@comcast.net or call me 786 553 0587. thanks.
-Jose

P.S. I also have a nice condition FWD 5MT legacy transmission with starter. Good tall gears if your using a torquey svx motor 150.00 plus shipping. Thanks
Porcharu
Udpate - just got this today.

"Steve,

Two apologies, first your email was shunted to my “spam” folder so I just now am viewing it. Secondly, your parts are not back from broacher because we haven’t finished lot run quantity. We are finishing today. I will be at broacher on Monday. I will coordinate with Butch to time of completion. I have customers I can visit in that area so if broacher can finish the order and be done in the same day I will pick up and bring back same day. The heat treat will be another day and black anodize is two days. If all goes to this plan you will have completed parts by Thu/Friday. I will endeavor to keep you posted by event completion. Our production schedule was pressed behind by a week about 2 weeks ago and we have been scrambling to play catch up. Your parts fell into the cracks. Definitely my fault. Please don’t kick my ass too hard, I really don’t have much of it left. I will stay in touch."

budman5201
Very anxious for you guys to piece this solution together, i love my swap, but my freshly rebuilt 901 still isnt up to par with my modern motor now. Keep me posted. Hey can you guys post more pictures of the subaru tranmission in the rear of the 914 mounted?
Porcharu
Have you seen my blog? Not the best pictures but the transmission is in pretty much the correct location. I will be making the prototype mounts pretty soon - I hope.
Porcharu
QUOTE(VOX @ Jun 18 2009, 01:29 PM) *

cool!, i hope some of you guys get a working car soon! using the subaru transmission, hopefully a good write up on it too

Well you are in luck! The online 914 magazine wants me to do a full writeup so I will be fully documenting the swap. I do this type of thing for a living (writing technical documents) so it should be pretty good - especially with some professional editing.
Steve
budman5201
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Jul 29 2009, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(VOX @ Jun 18 2009, 01:29 PM) *

Well you are in luck! The online 914 magazine wants me to do a full writeup so I will be fully documenting the swap. I do this type of thing for a living (writing technical documents) so it should be pretty good - especially with some professional editing.
Steve

sweet i cant wait! what transmission should i keep my eye out for here in az. Which subaru model has the best?
Porcharu
I wish I knew what stock trans is the 'best' one. I will have more of an idea once I get my car on the road. I imagine that NA and Turbo will be different. We will see soon.
Steve
JJ914GT
Best to get an RA one with a front LSD I guess:
Subaru transmission info link

Front because the front will drive the rears..

( I have an RA one without LSD, anyone know of a good one I can put in? )
BIGKAT_83
Just finishing my 6cyl Subaru EG33 and transaxle conversion. The car is almost ready to go. Things to finish are the wiring (working on that today) and have a appiontment to have the exhaust done Saturday.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bob
budman5201
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 30 2009, 08:11 AM) *

Just finishing my 6cyl Subaru EG33 and transaxle conversion. The car is almost ready to go. Things to finish are the wiring (working on that today) and have a appiontment to have the exhaust done Saturday.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bob

whats the horsepower on your NA setup?
d914
stock is 230hp,,,,no cats and a header maybe up to 240ish
BIGKAT_83
D914 was right.
This engine stock makes 230HP. I really didn't want anything with too much power. I'm building this for my wife to drive. The main thing she wanted was a car that shifted like a real car(Her words). Sitting in the car and shifting without the engine running,this thing shifts just like a new Subaru with the stock linkage.

Bob
d914
the cable shifter works extremely well..we're using both a corolla and an accord shifter..$20 from a junk yard!! Now the top end cables $200!
budman5201
QUOTE(d914 @ Jul 31 2009, 09:44 AM) *

the cable shifter works extremely well..we're using both a corolla and an accord shifter..$20 from a junk yard!! Now the top end cables $200!

Could i use that same corolla or honda shifter for my 901? I already have the cableshift.com linkage, just curious

Oh hey, what year and model toyota or honda?
strawman
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 30 2009, 08:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Bob

Hi Bob --

Congrats on your progress! I, too, am doing a Suby eng/trans into a 914; I am just now finalizing the engine mounting system. I like your trans mount and cable shifter setup.

I am interested in your axle solution. Did you weld up a segment of stock Suby axle shaft (inner portion) to a segment of the stock 914 axle shaft (outer portion), or did you make custom axle shafts that mate up the Suby inner CV with a 914 outer CV?

Geoff
d914
accord shifter 92 area,,corolla I believe late eghties early 90"s,,,Mr2 also,,I have an extra....
The corolla u have to do a little reverse action thing but itallows for more flexabilty on throw lengths that way..
Dr Evil
Believe it or not, Hyundai's have great shifters for adaptation smile.gif Cheap too. I have a bunch as I was/am designing a cable shifter for the 901 based on these. I can take a pic and am willing to sell most of the ones I have for $20 + ship.
tat2dphreak
duplicate post
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Believe it or not, Hyundai's have great shifters for adaptation smile.gif Cheap too. I have a bunch as I was/am designing a cable shifter for the 901 based on these. I can take a pic and am willing to sell most of the ones I have for $20 + ship.

are you making a cable shift 901 kit?! if so, when?! I would do damn near anything for a more accurate shifter at this point.
Dr Evil
I need to farm out the production so I can get it done and tested. I dont promise that it will ever materialize as I draw closer to the end of my freedom and the beginning of my residency.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 11:28 AM) *

Believe it or not, Hyundai's have great shifters for adaptation smile.gif Cheap too. I have a bunch as I was/am designing a cable shifter for the 901 based on these.

Whoa! Hold on Doc, careful with what you say! Did you see those ears perk up everywhere across the land? You may be stumbling into a hornet's nest of pent-up demand that could create way more work than you really want to deal with.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 2 2009, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 01:28 PM) *

are you making a cable shift 901 kit?! if so, when?! I would do damn near anything for a more accurate shifter at this point.

For a stock 901 you can easily have it shifting awesomely. Rebuild the box, change all bushings, check engine and tranny mounts. You would be amazed how well a 901 can shift.
tat2dphreak
change all bushings, check engine and tranny mounts.

check, check, check... done all of these and I still miss 2nd some times... I changed every bushing, mount and cone screw when I put it all back together.
Dr Evil
Notice you didnt quote the part where I said, "Rebuild the box" wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 02:07 PM) *

Notice you didnt quote the part where I said, "Rebuild the box" wink.gif

I know, I need to send you the stack, but damn, I just got it going! headbang.gif
budman5201
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 11:28 AM) *

Yeah can you take a picture of that shifter for me, i might want it to experiment on. Oh also, Dr914, can i see the ones you have too??

ghuff
My experience has been that cable shift cars are much harder to rev match than cars using rods to actuate the shift mechanism.

At least with VW's and the few other things I have driven with cables.

Cables always seem vague and odd no matter how modified.
DBCooper
QUOTE(ghuff @ Aug 3 2009, 06:32 PM) *

My experience has been that cable shift cars are much harder to rev match than cars using rods to actuate the shift mechanism.

It's always a matter of "compared to what", isn't it? Every VW, Porsche or Japanese car with a cable shifter I've driven was goodness and light compared to my side shifter 914, but have you driven a 914/901 tail shifter? Those poor guys are more immediately worried about just getting the right gear than about matching RPM's. I'd even say that most would have an improvement to the modern standard of "vague and odd" pretty high on their wish lists.
Porcharu
QUOTE(ghuff @ Aug 3 2009, 06:32 PM) *

The beauty with using a modern transmission with proper syncros (and the correct clutch/flywheel) is that rev matching is no longer needed - just put it in gear and it goes.
d914
ahhh not so young grasshopper,,,,some of us track guys still need to match revs to gear for a smooth transfer going into a turn!! :::smile.gif) but I agree on the whole modern tranny issue.

I plan on doing a stock restore sometime in the future,,but not on this car!!
Porcharu
I was going to add the downshifting thing but didn't want to start a pissing match on the pros and cons of that issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.