Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
bigkensteele
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 12:38 PM) *

The last one I fixed it was the carb body itself had a few dings from over the years,, made a round flat piece with some 220 and lapped it flat.. and this was after total rebuild rebush re dip..
always use a new al. sealing washer

Curious where you got them re-dipped?
Lucky9146
The engine bay quietly awaits the return of the Weber. Yes, I suppose I could have tried to correct the leak but at this point I wanted to take no chances. If you have been following the thread you will recall the many unexpected challenges that have reared their ugly head along the way. sad.gif

I was close to the first start (hopefully no other issues), in the middle of the carb leak, and on the phone with my carb guy who really wanted to see where the problem was, so I agreed to send the carb back. Slow me down, yup, for sure, but the way things have been going, maybe another surprise awaited me under that leaking cap. Maybe not. He stands behind his work, something that seems rare these days. Should be back mid next week so I'll pick it up from there. driving.gif

Gives me time now to replace that fuel pressure guage I was not totally comfortable with to a higher quality Marshal guage. I said good enough for the short term start up but I want to feel more confident in the desired 3.5 PSI pressure to the carbs.
I appreciate all the comments and support.
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

The seal under the brass covers should be a red fiber material not copper or aluminum.
In my experience new ones will leak when first installed.
If you soak them in gas before install they will swell and seal better.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 24 2018, 08:48 AM) *

The seal under the brass covers should be a red fiber material not copper or aluminum.
In my experience new ones will leak when first installed.
If you soak them in gas before install they will swell and seal better.

My understanding is that it is an aluminum crush seal. Could be wrong.
white914.jpg

I think it is these two shown here:
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
aluminum......
Lucky9146
Today was the big day! I finally fired up my 6 for the first time! piratenanner.gif

Because I had cranked it before it was lubricated, and because I had pressure checked the fuel system, fuel was in the carbs, and the pressure regulator was set.

I tuned the key and it sputtered. smile.gif

Like it wanted to start, so I turned the dizzy just a bit and tried again and it fired right up, it was almost surreal. piratenanner.gif

It started right up to a very nice high idle. After a little over 4 years it runs and sounds fantastic!

I have tried to the best of my ability to post videos but they are just too big, even at only 19 seconds long, and I have tried everything I know to shrink them with no success. mad.gif
Maybe later I can. This was the good news post.........
white914.jpg

Lucky9146
Now for the bad news post, I just can't catch a break. head_hurts_kr.gif headbang.gif

So after a reasonable run in, I decided to back it into the garage.

Put it in reverse and it wants to go forward. Hmmmm... WTF.gif idea.gif confused24.gif

You know whats coming. Right?

Yup, I have one speed forward and 5 speed reverse. barf.gif I knew right away what was wrong but called my buddy to commiserate and confirm my worst thoughts, the ring gear is in backwards. barf.gif again.

Now, understand the trans came with the project from the PO where he had sent it out for the following, and it even had a tag on it from the builder which clearly said:
Install intermediate plate
1 gear
1 needle bearing
Gasket
Machining.

PO had stated the trans had been checked out thoroughly. This was one item I had not been concerned about with my build.

So there won't be any of this driving.gif for a while longer. headbang.gif
white914.jpg

defianty
Unbelievable Jim, truly unbelievable. What a kick in the teeth that must have been. The only positive I can think of is that it's nothing terminal and it can be fixed relatively quickly without too much cost. At this stage you just have to say it could have been a lot worse.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 5 2018, 01:51 AM) *

Unbelievable Jim, truly unbelievable. What a kick in the teeth that must have been. The only positive I can think of is that it's nothing terminal and it can be fixed relatively quickly without too much cost. At this stage you just have to say it could have been a lot worse.

Appreciate your weighing in. Sure didn't see this one coming. blink.gif
I don't know at this point if this is something I can tackle myself or not, first step is to drop the trans. Might be someone local I can take it to as I think special tools may be required. I got a couple leads today for local trans folks to check out.

I have also reached out to Dr Evil and waiting to hear back.

I understand the trans can come out while leaving the engine in, so that is a relief.
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Heard back from Dr Evil and good news I can remove the trans and flip the ring gear myself. smile.gif

Here is what the Dr said:
"If it was a 914 trans to begin with, you simply have to pull the transmission, pull the gear stack, plop the diff in the right way, put the stack back in, and yer good to go as the dimensions for R/P and backlash were likely conserved."
Many thanks to the Dr for his quick reply, info and reassurance.

Confirmed it is in fact a 914 trans.
So, last night I had been in contact with the PO sharing both the joy and down fall of the first start up run and I could tell my trans discovery really bothered him. He searched and sent me similar info to the Dr which I appreciated. The Dr provided a bit more credibility and confidence to the flip. Thanks Rob!
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
I forgot to take any pictures at the Phoenix Club this weekend so I was really glad to see someone got a picture of me! biggrin.gif av-943.gif

Yup that is me behind that cool 6
Photo credit to 914-300Hemi. He was probably saying to himself get out of my picture! Sorry about that.
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Transmission hiccup now behind me. Well, it's back in the car at least.

Had a few other priorities and just took my time to feel my way through the trans “issue” with the extremely patient helpful Dr Evil. He walked me through many questions and details. Suffice it to say there was a bit more to it than “just pull the stack back and flip the ring gear” as it started out. He has done so many that it is all second nature to him I am sure. Many thanks Dr Evil much appreciated. beerchug.gif

Crud, back out the trans came leaving the engine in place. sad.gif smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Some how I managed not to get a picture of the backwards ring gear but here is the differential correctly now!
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
The process

I applied Prussian Blue to 3 areas of the ring gear in 4 tooth sections

Click to view attachment

Difficult to get a good picture of the resultant pattern but contact appeared to be correct and consistent. The hardest part was cleaning off the blue when done.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
The process allowed me to make a few more improvements along the way. Namely better fit of headers, muffler, and muffler bracket, half a day there.

And the home to which it returned. All in all, these are pretty good cars to work on because at first I thought I would have to drop the engine AND trans.
Not too bad really, I was just not in the mood to do it. Schnoor washers and repacking the CV joints and all.
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 12:24 PM) *

The process allowed me to make a few more improvements along the way. Namely better fit of headers, muffler, and muffler bracket, half a day there.

And the home to which it returned. All in all, these are pretty good cars to work on because at first I thought I would have to drop the engine AND trans.
Not too bad really, I was just not in the mood to do it. Schnoor washers and repacking the CV joints and all.
white914.jpg

That's one clean car.
Lucky9146
Finally got the start up video with he help of a buddy of mine.
white914.jpg

This was shot the day of first start up which was Mar 4. I love the sound biggrin.gif

https://youtu.be/0iJWc_0Xwyw
porschetub
Excellent Jim,contantly checking your updates,funny how aircooled engines sound like a rotating tin full of bolts on YouTube must be a sound recording buggered if I know why,seems they all sound like that confused24.gif .
So I'am assuming that if the side cover gaskets are replaced with same the diff go's from one side to the other ? or did you need to recheck diff bearing pre-load ?
Congrats and well done on a very clean tidy conversion,you must be really keen for a test run ,have you run in your cams yet?
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif .
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2018, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 12:24 PM) *

white914.jpg

That's one clean car.

Thanks Mark! Only had about 2 hours of engine run time in the driveway at that point when I figured out the ring gear was in backwards!
Funny now but no so much then. WTF.gif

Great day today! Drove it for the first time today around the neighborhood!
Does the term shit eating grin sound about right here? What a feeling. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Hope to post a video tomorrow. It was a very good day, insurance, DMV at AAA. Everything just clicked for once.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Steve
piratenanner.gif
Great news!!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 23 2018, 11:56 AM) *

Excellent Jim,contantly checking your updates,funny how aircooled engines sound like a rotating tin full of bolts on YouTube must be a sound recording buggered if I know why,seems they all sound like that confused24.gif .
So I'am assuming that if the side cover gaskets are replaced with same the diff go's from one side to the other ? or did you need to recheck diff bearing pre-load ?
Congrats and well done on a very clean tidy conversion,you must be really keen for a test run ,have you run in your cams yet?

Thanks for checking in!!! beerchug.gif
Yeah, I don't know why the sound is not right on You Tube and you are not the first to tell me that. Well it sounds like a beast in person even with the stock muffler. biggrin.gif

Like I mentioned in the last post reply, I drove it for the first time today and looking forward to much more of that! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Did not check bearing pre-load and here is why.
I knew the disassembly was done to replace the mid plate with 914-6 mid plate, and a first gear and bearing. So it was more than likely that the ring gear was accidentally flipped. Doesn't say much for the shop I know but there was a tag on the trans stating what had been done. I figure if he was used to 901 trans for a 911, it was an honest mistake. I had a lot of helpful guidance and assurance from Dr Evil on the trans. beerchug.gif
Now should it not pan out over time, maybe I see a 915 trans in my future. idea.gif

Dc 40 cams seem to be coming along just fine. Hoping to post driving video tomorrow!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Cairo94507
Congratulations. beerchug.gif
defianty
Great news Jim, I'm so pleased for you to finally have the car driving. Enjoy every second of it! Looking forward to the video and more photos of the car in the wild!
bbrock
Fantastic! cheer.gif I'm living vicariously.
moparrob
Excellent!. Perhaps you should rename this thread to “finished a 914-6 conversion”.
914Toy
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 23 2018, 11:56 AM) *

Thanks for checking in!!! beerchug.gif
Yeah, I don't know why the sound is not right on You Tube and you are not the first to tell me that. Well it sounds like a beast in person even with the stock muffler. biggrin.gif

Like I mentioned in the last post reply, I drove it for the first time today and looking forward to much more of that! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Did not check bearing pre-load and here is why.
I knew the disassembly was done to replace the mid plate with 914-6 mid plate, and a first gear and bearing. So it was more than likely that the ring gear was accidentally flipped. Doesn't say much for the shop I know but there was a tag on the trans stating what had been done. I figure if he was used to 901 trans for a 911, it was an honest mistake. I had a lot of helpful guidance and assurance from Dr Evil on the trans. beerchug.gif
Now should it not pan out over time, maybe I see a 915 trans in my future. idea.gif

Dc 40 cams seem to be coming along just fine. Hoping to post driving video tomorrow!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Yes I remember, it does feel good - well done beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 23 2018, 08:30 PM) *

Congratulations. beerchug.gif

Thanks much! Yours will be there too some day! I look at every one of your updates and all the great work being done to your car. Was hoping to meet you in Anaheim but missed you somehow. Thanks for looking in. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2018, 08:21 AM) *

Please do!
Well my friend I would say you are meeting the challenges well on your car. Your car is coming along very nicely. Your welding skills far exceed mine and thankfully I did not have that hurdle. I shall never again complain about it being cold in my garage here in So Cal. after seeing your winter pictures. I see you started in 2017, so, far less time than I have been working on mine and hopefully it will be done in a shorter amount of time. Mine has only been off the road since Clinton was in office. biggrin.gif Different hurdles we faced for sure but in the end you will have the pride of doing it yourself. Congrats on your progress and having the presence of mind to post the picture of fornicating frogs on your thread. Keep up the good work and I shall follow you more closely from now on. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
bbrock
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 26 2018, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2018, 08:21 AM) *

Please do!
Well my friend I would say you are meeting the challenges well on your car. Your car is coming along very nicely. Your welding skills far exceed mine and thankfully I did not have that hurdle. I shall never again complain about it being cold in my garage here in So Cal. after seeing your winter pictures. I see you started in 2017, so, far less time than I have been working on mine and hopefully it will be done in a shorter amount of time. Mine has only been off the road since Clinton was in office. biggrin.gif Different hurdles we faced for sure but in the end you will have the pride of doing it yourself. Congrats on your progress and having the presence of mind to post the picture of fornicating frogs on your thread. Keep up the good work and I shall follow you more closely from now on. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg

LOL lol-2.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 24 2018, 12:35 AM) *

Great news Jim, I'm so pleased for you to finally have the car driving. Enjoy every second of it! Looking forward to the video and more photos of the car in the wild!

Thank you! Finally having a driving 914 is fantastic! driving.gif
Was really hoping to get a driving video this weekend but had trouble lining up a willing participant, buddies were tied up.
Having never driven the car since I purchased it (had no engine installed) it was truly something to drive it for the first time.
Please keep the updates on your car progress coming! I know your goal for paint. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Mar 24 2018, 10:18 AM) *

Excellent!. Perhaps you should rename this thread to “finished a 914-6 conversion”.

Well not a bad idea but it is not finished yet! There is more to come so stay tuned!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Driving Video as in today driving.gif white914.jpg

https://youtu.be/dZnHasrS5Ps
JmuRiz
beerchug.gif
defianty
piratenanner.gif
jkb944t
Oh what a great feeling it is!!! piratenanner.gif
beerchug.gif

Jeff B
bbrock
monkeydance.gifmonkeydance.gifmonkeydance.gifmonkeydance.gifmonkeydance.gif
whitetwinturbo
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
ValcoOscar
rock_band.gif

Terrific Jim...time to party

Oscar
mtn flyr
smilie_pokal.gif
Lucky9146
Sometimes things just get done out of order.

Should I have installed my MaxJax before getting into this car? Probably, but I absolutely knew it would be more involved than just drilling some holes in the floor and making it level. Unfortunately, I was right, as it proved to be even more work than I anticipated, but now it is done. In actuality it is far more useful at this point because the car really pretty much was on jack stands anyway for the better part of 3 years. It wasn’t until near the end of the major work that it needed to go up and down a few times.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

I was not willing to trust the relatively small foot print and 5 anchors on each post with my cars so I tied into the wall and ceiling on one side and to the ceiling on the other side. Now I trust it. Uprights are 2” X 2”, 1/4"angle iron welded back to back together to make a sturdy beam.

Click to view attachment

MaxJax is intended to be a more portable but I am mounting it permanently to eliminate the cart and will mount the control unit to the wall this week.
It is a bit tight I know but the best I can do.
At least I got a lift now! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
That is both nice and SMART......... beer.gif
Lucky9146
A few more pictures.

Ceiling mounting brackets shown here. Yeah, that antique garage door opener is going away soon and a side wider opener will be going in and really clean up that ceiling.

Click to view attachment

And a view from the rear.
I should note those license plates are just temporary and my personal plates are on order. I will unveil them when they arrive in 8 to 12 weeks. sad.gif
Cant Wait. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
moparrob
Is this the new plate for the beast?

Click to view attachment

Actually that was the one I wanted for the turbo but someone has it...
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ Apr 9 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Is this the new plate for the beast?

Actually that was the one I wanted for the turbo but someone has it...

No but cool plate.
Hey when you coming down? beer3.gif
Thought you were coming for first ride?
Still working out a few bugs but the engine runs great!
driving.gif white914.jpg
moparrob
I was going to come down for the first ride but you had five reverse gears at that time, and I don't know your driving skills well enough to determine if that would have been a fun outing or not. biggrin.gif

Things have been a bit hectic the last few weeks, and the next three weekends are pretty much shot.

It looks like Cinco de Mayo is the next open weekend - which would seem to work perfectly for a celebratory cold beverage and drive. I may have to substitute Negro Modelo for the Jackstand Ale though, in honor of our neighbors south of the border. beer3.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 28 2018, 02:46 PM) *

Excellent ,sounded great IMO none better,was that a cop in the layby...looked like it confused24.gif .
About time you told us how well it go's ????,I know it will be quick but how ....
Well done really pleased for you.
beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 9 2018, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 28 2018, 02:46 PM) *

Excellent ,sounded great IMO none better,was that a cop in the layby...looked like it confused24.gif .
About time you told us how well it go's ????,I know it will be quick but how ....
Well done really pleased for you.
beerchug.gif

Thanks! No, there was no cop there. smile.gif
Planning another video for "how well it goes" soon. driving.gif
In the mean time, suffice it to say, it goes!! biggrin.gif
However, in all honesty, it is taking me some time to get used to the 901 with a short shift. Way different from the 915 in my 78 911 SC and my daily driver Scion XB 5 speed. Getting better but its been years since I had a 901.

Short list of bugs to address:

1.) Latest discovery is the front Weltmeister sway bar drop link bushings crumbled. Saw bits on the floor of the garage and knew there was definitely a problem. 20+ years off the road sitting is not good. sad.gif New ones on order due this week. Need to check all the others now. idea.gif
Click to view attachment

2.) Fuel guage is very erratic so got to get into that. Probably the sender. Did some searching here on 914 World and found some good info to work with.

3.) Speedometer works but not odometer, so got to replace that little nylon gear in there.

4.) And an exhaust leak between the right header and the muffler, leaking from the top of the flange. I've tried a few things to fix it already and now I got another plan. But I contacted Marty at MSDS and he suggested a few ideas to fix it and even offered to "repair or replace". Hope it doesn't come to that. But think about it, this is a guy that really stands behind his product! I did not directly buy the headers from him, the PO did and like 7 years ago! What a great guy! Thanks Marty I'll keep you posted! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Steve
It does look like the flange got trashed some how. For now you could double up on the gaskets.
Mueller
Car looks great.... nice lift as well.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 10 2018, 05:16 PM) *

It does look like the flange got trashed some how. For now you could double up on the gaskets.

Flange is not really trashed just a bit thinner on top on this side so will do some filing and maybe try a bit of JB Weld and yes that's a good idea to try extra gasket.
Thanks
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Apr 9 2018, 08:01 PM) *

That is both nice and SMART......... beer.gif

Thanks! beerchug.gif
I have to say the convenience was worth the effort. There are a few short comings with the lift but all in all for the price it was a good choice and it does the job. It was surprising that their tolerances are pretty wide as far as how out of level the two lift sides can be. I am continuing to strive to make them as level as possible, right now I am at about 3/4" difference off side to side and their tolerance is 1.5" which would never be acceptable to me. Instructions could be vastly improved and I made numerous calls to their technical department for clarification. Have to say on the plus side that their technical department is very helpful and will take thew time to work with you in great detail.

Like I said I was not willing to trust my cars to their relatively small foot print and 5 anchors (per side) which by the way are not the most straight forward to install correctly. I felt additional insurance was needed and bracing a must. It had been years since I arc welded so I had a bit of a re-learning curve to make my side beams but rather enjoyed the welding.
driving.gif white914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.