Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
Saturday morning started with taking a picture of the 1st and 2nd gears and slider I received from the guy I bough the 915 box from.
A stand up guy to supply the parts after the fact and much appreciated for sure! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Jun 1 2019, 01:22 AM) *

Very nice Jim, this will be great reference for anyone looking to do the same.

Thanks! There is information out there for sure, but requires digging, with bits and pieces here and there, not to mention Steve who is a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful, plus gracious with his time.

But as far as "in process pics" and pitfalls, not much at least that I could find. So I am doing what I can to show in pictures, at least my experience to hopefully help.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Back at the shop we started with changing the gear dogs. Of course this is not part of the kit install but something that needed to be done on my build. First was the worst!
Again my thanks to the seller of the gear box for stepping up. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And here is second gear

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Next was disassembly of the main shaft to install the one piece bearing clamp.
Granted this was not part of the kit either, but my guy recommended it, so I did as he said and got it from California Motorsports. Not cheap!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A thorough inspection of the pinion gear, yes that is a 356 Carrera 2, 4 cam head behind.

Click to view attachment

Random shot of his cut away case that would come to make a major contribution to the build.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Here comes the bearing clamp and bearing, nut and torque

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So now on to drilling and tapping the hole for the inner support block. That is the template provided by Martin Bott as a means to locate the hole but my guy was not impressed and with the use of his cut away case made a true center punch mark. Not to say this would not work and they were very close to be fair.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I love it.
Beautiful illustration.
Done by a guy who is obviously very experienced.
Just happens to have a pair of 356 Carrera 4 cam heads on the bench too.
Made my day.
Nice GT too.....what color is that again ? wub.gif
Lucky9146
Continuing on with Saturday work which by the way started at 9 am and went to 6 pm.

Switching the shifter fork from the old rod on left to the new on right. By the way this is the rod you have to make a deposit on to a guy in New Jersey for Martin until you return the old rod something I did not know until purchase time.

Click to view attachment

Now with the block installed a trial fit of the side shifter housing to the inner support block with shift rods.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next was a fit of the ring gear assembly which yielded those score marks on the housing, right where the speed pick up used to be.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
I'd like to say it went well machining but we went through. A plug will be fitted to the hole later.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I forget why the bearing had to come off here? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Installing the two shafts now simultaneously because of the new double bearing clamp pictures above in post 904 above, creates this situation, and this was tricky.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Looking good, and a top-shelf technician thumb3d.gif
Lucky9146
With that bearing clamp tightened it is time to fit the inner support block which needed two clearances shown.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Shift rod adjustment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 4 2019, 02:35 PM) *

I love it.
Beautiful illustration.
Done by a guy who is obviously very experienced.
Just happens to have a pair of 356 Carrera 4 cam heads on the bench too.
Made my day.
Nice GT too.....what color is that again ? wub.gif

Thanks! I know you have this kit too. My car color? Light ivory
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 4 2019, 09:34 PM) *

Looking good, and a top-shelf technician thumb3d.gif

Thanks Marty! Yes, I think the planets aligned for me to find him here in my back yard, well about 35 minutes drive, but darn close. Very talented knowledgeable guy.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Old school torque wrenches
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Another trial fit of the side shifter

Click to view attachment

And more adjustment

Click to view attachment

And now for the real case............

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
Well there is just two problems. This rod now has to be installed from the inside in the real case.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

So these are now in the way and must come off!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 5 2019, 01:22 AM) *

Well there is just two problems. This rod now has to be installed from the inside in the real case.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Some of your clearancing was due to installation of the bearing support plate,
some for the later case speedo pickup.
I didn't have to remove the protrusions in the center housing. ????
Older mag case ? sad.gif
Great pics.
You're Lucky to have such an experienced tech.
I was pulling you leg about the color.
My GT is light ivory too.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 5 2019, 04:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 5 2019, 01:22 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

Some of your clearancing was due to installation of the bearing support plate,
some for the later case speedo pickup.
I didn't have to remove the protrusions in the center housing. ????
Older mag case ? sad.gif
Great pics.
You're Lucky to have such an experienced tech.
I was pulling you leg about the color.
My GT is light ivory too.

Agreed on the bearing support plate and was trying to say that the improvement did lead to further clearancing. Don't know what to say about your not having to remove protrusions confused24.gif Maybe like you said older mag case? Just trying to share my experience. Thanks for chiming in. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Keep in mind I am still documenting all that went on last Saturday.

So now with the case nubs machined off we are back at it and this shift rod goes in...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And on the 1st and 2nd gears

Click to view attachment

Trial fit of the aft cone said we still had material to remove

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
With this additional machining complete and some hand work we are finally clear by the shift rod and fork and housing.

Click to view attachment

Here we are with the nose cone on and everything works, we call it quits on a very long Saturday.
Final assembly and button up to take place Monday morning.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Luft 6 happened almost a month ago already and I posted pictures on a tread shortly there after but did not post any of my car on this thread. This is one of my favorites that I took right after arriving.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
I just received an email from Road Scholars with latest issue, that has toward the bottom of the article a picture of my car exiting the event. What a great day and how lucky to get a picture in the magazine. Will try to post link to article. https://roadscholars.com/luftgekuhlt-2019-goes-hollywood?
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
moparrob
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 7 2019, 07:15 AM) *

I just received an email from Road Scholars with latest issue, that has toward the bottom of the article a picture of my car exiting the event. What a great day and how lucky to get a picture in the magazine. Will try to post link to article. https://roadscholars.com/luftgekuhlt-2019-goes-hollywood?
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Wow, just wow. What a beauty.
flat4guy
Love your car
Lucky9146
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jun 7 2019, 08:09 PM) *

Love your car

Thanks! Much appreciated. beerchug.gif
It is a hoot to drive and one of the most fun cars I have ever owned.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
I need to finish up on the transmission that was completed almost a week ago.

Last Monday 9 am sharp I was back to the shop to finish things up.

This is a picture of the inner support block the shift console mates to.

Click to view attachment

The hole for the reverse rod needed to be opened up and my guy came up with this cool approach by taking a shaft and putting a sharp corner on it making it a shaver. If you try to push it into the side of the hole while pushing in and out. Very cool idea and worked well!

Click to view attachment

Ring gear now on the proper side for a 914. smile.gif
Since trans is pictured upside down, that vent tube at the bottom needs to be rotated 180 deg since the trans will now be the opposite direction from a 911.
And this is correctly positioned now, failure to do this will result in oil coming out of the top of the box.

Click to view attachment

I had read that Lock-tite should be applied to the reverse rod screw. Done and hope it works.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif white914.jpg

Lucky9146
No gasket is supplied with the shift console so we used Lock-tite 574

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Nose cone on and home we go
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Step 1 find transmission
Step 2 buy Martin Bott 916 kit
Step 3 find a shop to do the work
Step 4 actually install the kit
Step 5 look at how cool it is!
Step 6 figure it out from here with the help of Steve and others smile.gif
Steve
I hope they used loctite on this screw. It backed out on me and another person mentioned the same thing in another thread.
Pro or con I swapped it out with a 914 shift rod tapered screw.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Drooling over that.... drooley.gif
Lucky9146
OH MY! Last post June 9th, I wish I could say I have my 915 trans installed but life has gotten in the way and unfortunately it is not! sad.gif

A small bit of headway in the form of purchasing a 1972 911 shifer off Pelican is about as far as I've gotten. BTW that selection is thanks to Steve as he had been trying to sort out his shifting problem and came about the 1972 shifter as the answer. Apparently it has a wider neutral needed for this set up and is one year only part. So I will happily follow his lead.

And I should say I owe Steve a huge thank you for his consistent plentiful advice and occasional prodding I need. Thanks @steve beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Much has happened NON 914 since last June but I was able to get the 914 to Werks Reunion Monterey this past August. What a beautiful day and I registered for judged mostly to get the parking on the lawn. Met up with the previous owner there as well. Always great to see him and he has been such a great supporter of what I have done with the car. @moparrob

Click to view attachment

Have made several cars and coffee's locally and am usually the only 914 around which is kinda fun in a way but I would like to see more 914's come out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Really enjoying this car, to say the least and am having a hard time taking it off the street to do the trans but I remain committed.
driving.gif white914.jpg
sixnotfour
Good to see it again with Six Power....like I have said before , last time I saw it was at Eurotech in Washington State.... shades.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif driving.gif
eric9144
How's that transmission coming along poke.gif biggrin.gif
Lucky9146
My my my where has the time gone? I was looking through some of the latest Garage posts this morning and came across @eric9144 PMS built "Big Laguna" thread and realized after reviewing every page I had totally missed this thread.

How does that happen? Well for me it has been quite the year and I don't mean all the Covid stuff but I was pulled in a lot of different directions, mostly good. We have fortunately not had Covid although son in law did (mild case just quarantine).

I am going to post some of the things that happened in the next several posts as I gather up what I can find pictures of.

So to start, in reviewing Eric's thread, it reminded me that we had participated in the Julian drive together October 24, 2020 and met up with the cars that started out well north of us. It was great to see and meet some of the guys like Steve and Oscar and Keith. There was a cruise thread where many of us posted pictures at the time but I had not taken the opportunity to post anything here and wish I would have. So here are my fav's. BTW Eric was tough to keep up with!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
It's not like I totally missed everything but I wasn't checking all the latest postings like I used to. I do know one thing and that this is a great site with a bunch of great people. I saw many very compassionate threads, Oscar's Christmas give away. (I did manage to score one of the prizes, thanks again Oscar), and a lot of hard work and good progress by many.

Continuing on,
I saw in Eric's thread he had tackled his roof, texture and all, and it came out great! That reminded me I had bought a spare roof at one of Bruces swap meets because I wanted a smooth roof like I had seen at Luft 6 that I just could not get out of my mind. I did not want to commit my roof so now I have choices.

So in Mar 2020 I started by filling the rain troughs sanding it down to primer while avoiding getting into the fiberglass.

These are the only pictures I can find so far and I guess I will have to take a picture of the finished product and post tomorrow! All I remember is there was a lot of wet sanding and re-primering.

I know, filling the troughs with Bondo may not be the recommended method but it worked fairly well. More pictures to follow.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
We called this the "Covid Project" which was my wife and I completely rebuilding this deck I had originally built in 1988. It was tired and rotting and of course had a few termites. Worst of all it had "occupants" under it from time to time over the years attracted by my neighbors fruit and nut trees. Lots of clean up of nut shells.

It is 28 ft long. We started in April 2020 and it took 6 months to finish working pretty steady. What you can't see is under that deck is all cement to the tune of about 160 90# bags of Redicrete which we used a mixer to mix and wheel barrow in. I doubled the 2 X 6 and some 4 X6 stringers spaced to every 12 inches and redid all the footings to support 3/4' Exterior Plywood with thin set Hardiboard laid in herringbone pattern and then thin set 6" X 24" tile. Lost count of how many decking screws I put in. Should be there long after I'm gone! I won't bore you with all the in process but suffice it to say it is now designed so no varmints can get under it. I see now that I posted it the last facer board was not installed yet.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Steve
Very nice!! I know our deck is home to many rats and drive our Aussies crazy.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 8 2021, 08:24 AM) *

Very nice!! I know our deck is home to many rats and drive our Aussies crazy.

Hey Steve! Thanks. Yeah I was trying not to say rats biggrin.gif, yup those and raccoons, squirrels, and rabbits too! But no more!

Thanks for not bringing up the 915 transmission, it has just been on the back burner, and especially since I got the 901 shifting so well by addressing some looseness in the linkage plus all the other things that got in the way that I plan to post here. I was hoping to catch up with you on the drive May22nd, but have other commitments. sad.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Pictures shot this morning of the smooth gloss black Targa Top I refinished as a spare. It was way, way, way more work than I anticipated. Many primer coats and wet sand, plus many paint coats and wet sand to achieve this finish. I'm not one to give up!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Reflection of the ceiling of my patio cover!
Click to view attachment

Love the slick top look and it will never see rain, at least that's the plan.

That blemish looking thing in the upper right corner is actually a reflection of a tree out in the yard. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Very nice. Looks like black glass. beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
I am realizing I neglected to post some things that happened before Covid hit so in late Jan 2020 I was able to participate in the Local Dealer Porsche 70th Anniversary Cars & Coffee. Billed at the time as the "Inaugural Annual Dealer Cars & Coffee", sadly the follow on second was not to materialize earlier this year with everything getting pushed out or cancelled.

How about this red carpet treatment. It was a highly attended event and done up right Dealer style. I think there were 2 other 914's there.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
In March 2020 I was extremely fortunate to attend Amelia Island Concours and Werks Reunion and I have to say that this all wasn't cancelled was a miracle!

While on my way up from my daughters to Amelia, the Brumos exhibit had not been open too long and I got a ticket to that. If you get the chance, when things open up more it is truly great. The Brumos 914 was not there at the time as it was at the Concours but the cars there you can walk right up to, no ropes. My God a 550 Spyder and a 917 it was like Porsche heaven at least for me.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
While at Brumos I ran into our own Eric Shea, what are the chances?

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
So many amazing cars there at Brumos and this 959 is actually a prototype.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
I have a friend in Fernandina Beach who I stayed with and he had his best friend in from NJ staying there too with his nice 914-6 3.2.

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
Mike, big guy I do not know how he got in and out with the roll bar?

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Got a ride in Mike's 914 and it was a brute sounding and performing car.

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
And of course Brumos car which I took a lot of good detail pictures of. Good stuff

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
One of the coolest things that happened to me at last years Amelia was meeting Jacky Ickx. Got to listen in on some conversation. I've not met many race car drivers, let alone a famous one who won 6 times at Le Mans!

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Still catching up......
Like I said earlier, I got some really good pics of Brumos #59 914

In this case I noted no Mark Henry Starter Relay

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Here I was surprised it still had heater contorls. confused24.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
I thought the Throttle linkage was too close to the axle.

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.