Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Lucky9146
And I get to look at this view of the passenger seat slider now. Amazingly there still are a few things left to do. Is this car ever finished?
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

bbrock
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 4 2018, 11:01 AM) *

And the after pic. I realize this is a small deal but still, details are important, and I also wanted to point out that I ordered and installed the 914Rubber bushing kit. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Yes, details are important! I totally get it. Those seats will feel even more comfortable now. I love seeing your work. smilie_pokal.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 4 2018, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 4 2018, 11:01 AM) *

And the after pic. I realize this is a small deal but still, details are important, and I also wanted to point out that I ordered and installed the 914Rubber bushing kit. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Yes, details are important! I totally get it. Those seats will feel even more comfortable now. I love seeing your work. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks! WAY more comfortable! lol-2.gif
Now I can sleep at night knowing it looks like this under there! av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
What paint did you use? I was thinking of using cerikote since it has a lot of abrasion resistance but doesn’t have any thickness like powder coat or epoxy.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2018, 01:01 PM) *

What paint did you use? I was thinking of using cerikote since it has a lot of abrasion resistance but doesn’t have any thickness like powder coat or epoxy.

Hey Mark,
After I blasted my frames, I taped off the edges of the runners (red arrows) that end up inside the two side rails as you never see them, except the last 4 inches on the top side were painted because you do see that. This avoids clogging up the rails with paint. Now I wish I'd taken in process pics.

Click to view attachment

I used Krylon MAXX Gray primer #9183 and Krylon MAXX Satin Black #9158
Gave me very good results. Thanks for asking. Hope this helps. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Weather was amazing this morning so I couldn't wait to head over to Cars & Coffee in Rancho Santa Fe. Always a fun drive as I take back roads. Met a guy named Darren with a 944, with what I believe he said, has an LS 5, and who works with Steve. He was texting pictures of the car while there and Steve said he knew my car. Small world. Got me to thinking....

I am for the most part the only 914 that shows up and my car always gets a lot of love. It is a small venue and basically a main drag of a very small town. Wondering if Steve, Oscar, Larmo63, SoCcalandy, 914toy, Siverson, Effutro101, Jim Hoyland, Eric9144, 76-914, Cal44, Mmichalik, 73-914kid, Fatboy007, 9147T3, and others might amble over some Saturday morning? Lots of great cars nice atmosphere and I would say the majority that show up are Porsche. PM with interest.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
Small world!! Darren is sending me pictures of your car and I’m sending him pictures of Cobras at my Cars & Coffee. He is quite the fabricator and has a nice Cobra as well as the 944. I don’t know about the other OC guys, but I would love to check out your Cars & Coffee.
914Toy
Sounds interesting, err, what time do it start?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 11 2018, 07:09 AM) *

Sounds interesting, err, what time do it start?

Hey Keith , guess I left that part out! Usually 8-10 but this last week quite a few were there when I arrived at 7:45. Anybody who decides to come let me know.
driving.gif white914.jpg
914Toy
What is the address?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 14 2018, 01:43 PM) *

What is the address?

The main drag is S8 or Paseo Delicias with the major cross street La Granada in Rancho Santa Fe. I never knew the names so had to look them up. Coming down 5 from the north you would likely take the Encinitas Blvd exit and go east.
driving.gif white914.jpg
914Toy
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 15 2018, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 14 2018, 01:43 PM) *

What is the address?

The main drag is S8 or Paseo Delicias with the major cross street La Granada in Rancho Santa Fe. I never knew the names so had to look them up. Coming down 5 from the north you would likely take the Encinitas Blvd exit and go east.
driving.gif white914.jpg

I found: 5978 Paseo Delicias, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92o67, Saturdays 8 - 11 am. See you there.
Lucky9146
Saturday morning was another beautiful day and 914Toy headed down to join me and check things out in RSF. But I forgot to get any pictures of his car before he left, sorry Keith. We did get a chance to check out each others cars, he has a nicely done car, and I'm kinda liking his Clewett crank fire set up. Hmmmmm wub.gif and his reflector idea. beerchug.gif

My wife is not thrilled to ride in the 914 but after some begging I talked her into coming along. smlove2.gif She helped me in trying to learn and develop my GoPro skills so check out my link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFhRjbQlTo I like the sound and more to come I hope.

There was a videographer present Saturday as well, developing her skills, and she spent quite a bit of time on my car so I hope to get a copy of her work.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Your car looks great. beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 19 2018, 05:40 AM) *

Your car looks great. beerchug.gif

Thanks Michael! I always look forward to seeing the next steps on your car and hope to see it in person one day.
driving.gif white914.jpg
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif ..............I like white! white914.jpg white914.jpg white914.jpg
jmitro
beautiful
Lucky9146
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 19 2018, 09:58 PM) *

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif ..............I like white! white914.jpg white914.jpg white914.jpg

QUOTE(jmitro @ Nov 20 2018, 04:35 AM)

beautiful

whitetwinturbo
Jmitro
Really want to say thanks to you two! You were # 3 and #4 to weigh in on this thread in the very beginning Aug 3, 2015

I thought it interesting you are right here, right after each other again. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Last weekend I met someone video taping my car at Cars & Coffee (pictures above) and since she had given me her contact info I reached out to see how it came out. Unfortunately this was her first outing she said her gimball didn't work well for her and the video did not come out well.

I mentioned all this to my buddy who said he had some video of my car at Renn6.
So now I have this video of my car and other 914's there, but what I really like is the sound of the announcer over the loud speaker in the quiet morning. Turn up your sound it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxyeanCuJMM

driving.gif white914.jpg

defianty
Looks great Jim I can't tire of looking at your car. Knowing that I'm going to have one that looks just as good soon excites me no end! I'm particularly fond of the ride height, it looks spot on.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 24 2018, 07:17 AM) *

Looks great Jim I can't tire of looking at your car. Knowing that I'm going to have one that looks just as good soon excites me no end! I'm particularly fond of the ride height, it looks spot on.

Thanks Stephen but I think yours will be a better example with your new paint and mine being over 20 years old. The engine compartment on mine could have used a re do and I did not realize it at the time.
There is a price to be paid with that ride height, just something to think about.
Keep us posted on your paint job. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
My friend who shot the Renn6 video I posted above is an IT guy and dabbles in a lot of electronic/ pictures/ video stuff, and I mean a lot. One of his new found loves is artfully customizing photographs to where they look like painting's and giving them to people. Today he showed up with a couple pictures he had printed up that he shot at last weeks Cars & Coffee. I asked for the electronic files so I could post here. These are 12"X18" prints!
The third one is the same picture as the second, but now to a whole nother level, almost cartoon-ish, but oh so cool.
I'm going to frame them!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I'm not parking my jalopy anywhere near Jim's nice white car.

Is there an alley I can park in next week? stromberg.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 24 2018, 07:29 PM) *

I'm not parking my jalopy anywhere near Jim's nice white car.

Is there an alley I can park in next week? stromberg.gif

Your car is not a jalopy! Looks good to me! slap.gif Seems I recently saw a perfect front bumper that you were going to sleep next to, if I'm not mistaken laugh.gif
So, you coming next week? piratenanner.gif Cool, looking forward to it. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Coondog
Great looking build, now I know what mine will look like in white.....thanks
Only real changes, I am going with stock mirrors, polished Fuch pedals and I am on the fence concerning the rear spoiler. I am also going to delete the windshield H20 squarters, antenna and rear trunk button.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 24 2018, 09:33 PM) *

Great looking build, now I know what mine will look like in white.....thanks
Only real changes, I am going with stock mirrors, polished Fuch pedals and I am on the fence concerning the rear spoiler. I am also going to delete the windshield H20 squarters, antenna and rear trunk button.

Hey Greg Thanks!

Wait what? Are you going to flare your 3.2 car now, cuz it's already white? Must be a different car? Right?

As for my mirrors I did not make that selection, unfortunately, car was built this way when I got it with the beginnings of the 6 conversion. Paint is Imron from 1995 and I can't match it so I'm not going to try anything like changing the mirrors and the same goes for the spoiler, it was already there too. At first I didn't care for the spoiler but it has grown on my and I love it now. Looke forward to hearing more on yours.
Thanks for weighing in and for all the info on fire extinguishers a while back, I copied you.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
While I figure out next steps (I am not in a big hurry) on my transmission upgrade to a 915 with Martin Bott 916 kit, I find driving my car something I really look forward to. The cars and coffee I attend fairly regularly is a nice all back roads drive and good place to exercise it about 15 miles one way. I want to venture further like Carlsbad or Crystal Cove, the 5 freeway is not my favorite, but we'll see.

Saturday morning my car was nestled nicely between a perfect Ferrari F50 and a very nice Speedster. It doesn't get near the attention of an F50 for sure but it is well appreciated by many. smile.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 20 2018, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 19 2018, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Nov 20 2018, 04:35 AM)

beautiful

whitetwinturbo
Jmitro
Really want to say thanks to you two! You were # 3 and #4 to weigh in on this thread in the very beginning Aug 3, 2015

I thought it interesting you are right here, right after each other again. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

...........love your efforts! popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Lucky9146
Came across this link here to an earlier thread about 915 trans, read it all, and it got me going again.... idea.gif So, thank you all who posted to that thread! beerchug.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=298292

Haven't posted in a while because there is not much to report yet on my 916 trans. project and I have had a rather big iron in the fire taking all my time. The news is, I found someone locally who I think can help me out, has actually worked on a real 916 years ago, and seems to really know 915 boxes. He has done conversions but had never heard of the Martin Bott kit, only Vellios.
Kinda getting a list of few things I want to address while the engine is out too.
Hope to post some progress in a few weeks but until then I just get to look at these cool parts and keep
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Met with the transmission guy yesterday and I learned a lot. He figured out pretty quick where all the bits go on one of many cases he had. But it looks like there could be a problem with this little support circled here. Not sure yet but some investigation yet to do.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
He had this cut away that showed how the little carrier fits to the side shifter.

Click to view attachment

This is a little exaggerated picture below but it looks like the little carrier does not line up to the boss in the case. I know in the first picture above it looks lined up but it isn't. This is not my gearbox only his old case mock up, so time will tell. At least I can see where everything goes now.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm pretty sure Chris Foley said he needed to do some work in the trans to make everything fit.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2019, 08:19 PM) *

I'm pretty sure Chris Foley said he needed to do some work in the trans to make everything fit.

Wish he was not so far away. Going to get another estimate locally as I got another lead late yesterday. Thanks beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Steve
Martin Bott does make specific kits to specific year trans. Check out his thread in the members vendor section. Chris looked like he had the wrong parts and welded up a case to make it work. Your problem looks similar to those pictures.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 31 2019, 08:45 PM) *

Martin Bott does make specific kits to specific year trans. Check out his thread in the members vendor section. Chris looked like he had the wrong parts and welded up a case to make it work. Your problem looks similar to those pictures.

Thanks Steve good point will do. In the pictures the parts are fitted to an early case and mine is a later so that may do the trick.
Thanks for weighing in and the tip. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Baby steps on the 915 to 916 Trans. project
Have decided on a local San Diego shop to do the Martin Bott Kit work. I will continue to show my progress on the "916 box" as I know others are looking for a shop.

It was recommended that I get the one piece bearing retainer from California Motorsports, which I have now received.
Amazing looking piece going into the box not to be seen again, so I just had to share a pic. One of many things I had not planned on and I am sure there will be more to come.

Did a lot of research as Steve suggested and it was well worth the time. Have confirmed I do have the right part I spoke of last time and as Steve mentioned that Chris Foley had the wrong one which in fact did. Have to get into my box and make sure it works as advertised as opposed to the mock up. I know for sure that at least one hole needs to be tapped in my case.
Hoping to get the box into work soon now.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
.................I'd wear that around my neck...beautiful aktion035.gif
rgalla9146
My mag case 915 with the Bott kit has been assembled for years but not
yet installed. My excuse being I needed to build the car to put it in.
Anyway, the shaft support you focused on needed attention in my box too.
I had to locate and tap into an existing boss. Not the end of the world.
As I recall Chris Foley had to create a boss by welding.
The time consuming issue for me was that that support had to be shimmed off its
mounting surface to allow the shift console to fit flush on the case.
I have to see if I have pics of the assembly.
This thing looks filthy.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 2 2019, 05:24 AM) *

My mag case 915 with the Bott kit has been assembled for years but not
yet installed. My excuse being I needed to build the car to put it in.
Anyway, the shaft support you focused on needed attention in my box too.
I had to locate and tap into an existing boss. Not the end of the world.
As I recall Chris Foley had to create a boss by welding.
The time consuming issue for me was that that support had to be shimmed off its
mounting surface to allow the shift console to fit flush on the case.
I have to see if I have pics of the assembly.
This thing looks filthy.

Thanks for weighing in on my thread. I saw you had done the Martin Bott kit and kept meaning to reach out to you about it. beerchug.gif This site is awesome!

I have since my post, been in touch with Martin and he has assured me I have the correct part for my alum trans and that his included template should do the trick. I was concerned about exactly what you were talking about, that even with the template, the shift console fits flush! Couple that concern with Steve having problems with his and I decided to do all I could to ensure success and make things as straight foreword (ie keep the cost down) for my trans guy.

Martin is very responsive by the way. beerchug.gif

I knew I had to have the boss drilled and tapped but the location became a concern. Hopefully this issue will be tackled soon, it's just other things have gotten in my way.
Can't wait to get this into work. Thanks again.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Lucky9146
Ok finally getting to installing the Martin Bott 916 kit on my transmission. It was a good news bad news day, mostly good though! Keep in mind I bought a "rebuilt 915"

Here we go!

Click to view attachment

First thing we find is a double staked lock tab, not the end of the world my trans guy says, but something I would have replaced on a rebuild.

Click to view attachment

Ring and pinion looked great! The speedo plate pretty dirty but it goes away anyway.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Now we see a problem.....
Lucky9146
But before we get to the missing teeth a check of the pinion depth..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And we are good! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
Removal of the bottom plate lowest point of the gearbox was a lot dirtier than I liked but my guy said not that bad. Rebuilt gear box? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Now on to the missing teeth......

Click to view attachment

So I got on the phone with the guy I bought the "rebuilt" trans from and had my trans guy explain it and long story short the offending parts are coming to me overnight!

Sliders and syncros are good

Click to view attachment

Completely disassembled

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
It was on to the little support block we were so concerned about and it turns out that will match up as designed by Martin and so marked to drill that boss should happen today if all goes as planned. My trans guy has this cut away housing that makes everything so much easier to see. So far so good!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
aturboman
Still watching this great progress with baited breath. My mechnical speedo Bott kit is waiting in the wings.
Steve
Nice!! I like the Electric speedo on mine! No more bouncy needle and much better trip odometer. Are you going for originality?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(aturboman @ May 31 2019, 01:49 PM) *

Still watching this great progress with baited breath. My mechnical speedo Bott kit is waiting in the wings.

I have told him there are others out there with the kit, and I was going to ping you soon on progress pics, so thanks for keeping track. Parts arrived later today than expected but we are back at it tomorrow morning and I can't wait! The guy I found and I have hit it off really well and I think he is enjoying my taking pictures and documenting. This guy knows these things like the back of his hand, sees things so quick. He knows I have engine experience but no gearbox experience so he is taking me through it. His shop is old school and I love it, watching him go into drawers and pull out old tools, while saying "I haven't done one of these in a while", cracks me up.
driving.gif white914.jpg
aturboman
Yes I'm looking to keep things as original as possible so I opted for the mechanical speedo. Admittedly they are a far cry from the electronic ones but I have a perfect 1973 Mag 915 donor so very close to the proper 916 box.

I'm in the queue to get mine completed once Jim complete's his.

Good to see some of the old school guys are still around.
moparrob
I'm enjoying this portion of the thread and your 916 follies. What a great chance for you to learn another aspect of these precision vehicles.
defianty
Very nice Jim, this will be great reference for anyone looking to do the same.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 31 2019, 11:21 PM) *

I'm enjoying this portion of the thread and your 916 follies. What a great chance for you to learn another aspect of these precision vehicles.

Cool! and great seeing you at Luft6. For those that may not know, I bought this car from Moparrob and happy to say we have become friends as a result. He stopped by at Luft twice, to show the car "that got away" to his buddies that recalled stores of seeing it on jack stands in his garage for a few years. Moparrob had started the 6 conversion and hence the title of my thread. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.