Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First of the Texas Twins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Puebloswatcop
After cutting out the rusted area and welding in the patch piece, I was feeling pretty good about things until I went to mount the channel repair, I was very aggrivated that when I did the weld of the patch piece, I got way to much heat into the piece while welding it in and it was badly warped....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
mad.gif So I recut the patched area and pulled out the bottom portion to match up where the channel mounts up, and then re-cut the the patch for the lower door frame.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
So, after repeating the entire process, the repair is done, now just to smooth out the weld lines. The channel bend was fairly easy after it was welded in place, however I think I will look at a small bender, to make things easier for the second of the twins.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I decided to wind down by finishing the rear fender flare. So I smoothed out the weld line and finished welding the ends. Instead of cutting all of the bottom edges of the original fenders out I welded the flares to them for added strength and rigidity.
seanpaulmc
Very nice progress. Keep the updates coming. cheer.gif
Puebloswatcop
After the frustrating day with the channel repair, yesterday I decided to take a day off of body work, but made it another parts cleaning day. The project of the day was to dismantle, clean, grease and re-assemble the shifter.

It was filthy and the grease in it was hardened, Not surprising after all of these years.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Dissasembled the entire thing, cleaned and inspected the all the parts and was somewhat surprised that there was very little wear to any of it. I was also surprised that when my wife saw the greasy mess on her breakfast nook table that she didn't throw me out....she is pretty tolerant as long as I don't make a big mess....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Dis-assembly is rather simple, however re-assebly was a bit more touchy. I made and attempted to use a tool that was in the Porsche Manual to put the springs back in...I ended up shooting springs all over the place. Disovered if I used the pin to get one end of the spring in, bend the spring to a horseshoe shape and get the other end on a punch that was slightly smaller than the rod then I could bend the spring pack straight a little at a time intil the pin was all the way through.... sorry I couldn't get a picture of that, because it was like I needed three hands to get the job done.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
After several attempts though, it is all back together. Also the original shift knob is in remarkably good condition. There are a couple of scratches, but really not bad, If anyone has any info on how to rub the scratches out and polish the clear epoxy, Id love to hear them, maybe I can get the scratches out...

Puebloswatcop
This is where I left off before the Thanksgiving break:

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
And upon returning from the holiday, a pleasant surprise....My front jacking donuts arrived. Guess I know where I'll start tomorrow... welder.gif

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Well I didn't get to work on the twin yesterday due to some honey do's that needed attention. So today I decided to do a few things, first was installing the front jacksing donuts. So I drilled the donut flanges and sanded them down to untreated metal in prep for welding.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Figured I would start with the passenger side, where I had to drill through the floor to get the old donut off. Preping the outside under the car was easy, just sand it down to bare metal, the inside though i had to not only sand it, but had to remove some of the seam sealer in order to close up the holes.

Puebloswatcop
I started from the inside of the car and welded each hole starting on the donut and then working the weld into the center until the holes waere all filled in.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I went to the under side of the car and welded through the holes in the donut to insure a very strong bond and then ground everything smooth.

Puebloswatcop
With the hard one finished I moved over and installed the driver's side donut. Much easier since I didnt have to drill through the floor.

Puebloswatcop
So it was on to filling the hole that the PO used in the drivers side engine compartment wall to bolt the trunk hinge to. Replacing the trunk hinge mount would have been so cheap and easy, but no....we have to drill a half inch hole.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
I formed a half inch piece of metal and welded it in to fill the hole (white arrow). The drivers side has previous crash damage as well. but without a way to hammer it any straighter, I decided to fill a large dent that was left behind while I was at it, (red arrow).

Obviously there is allot more to address on this wall, but at least there is no longer a gaping hole. Sorry, but I forgot to take the picture before putting some primer on to hold off the rust.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Nov 28 2021, 03:37 PM) *

So it was on to filling the hole that the PO used in the drivers side engine compartment wall to bolt the trunk hing to. Replacing the trunk hinge mount would have been so cheap and easy, but no....we have to drill a half inch hole.

Click to view attachment

@Puebloswatcop

whats that emission sticker say i can see in your image.
i can't quite make it out with resolution, but i think i can see EC.

if so, is it EC-A or is it EC-B.
is it EPA and caifornia certified or does it say EPA certified.

and whats the vin date on the car.

if you don't mind me asking?

nice work fixing the car up. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
Figured that while I was in the mood to weld stupid stuff, I would fix a hole that was in the drivers side of the windshield frame, I believe this is where the sun visor mounts. The first piture is what the driver's side looked like and the second is the passenger side and what the hole should look like.

Puebloswatcop
It took a few passes of welding and grinding to eliminate any thin spots.

Puebloswatcop
But I think this will do the trick....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
And at the end of the day I got to scratch a couple more tasks off of the white board beer.gif

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 28 2021, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Nov 28 2021, 03:37 PM) *

So it was on to filling the hole that the PO used in the drivers side engine compartment wall to bolt the trunk hing to. Replacing the trunk hinge mount would have been so cheap and easy, but no....we have to drill a half inch hole.

Click to view attachment

@Puebloswatcop

whats that emission sticker say i can see in your image.
i can't quite make it out with resolution, but i think i can see EC.

if so, is it EC-A or is it EC-B.
is it EPA and caifornia certified or does it say EPA certified.

and whats the vin date on the car.

if you don't mind me asking?

nice work fixing the car up. beerchug.gif

Here is a pick of the emissions sticker and the vin plate:

It is a EC-A

Puebloswatcop
Started off the week by re-writing my white board so I could plan for the week. Went to town to get some supplies and my truck decided the ABS system no longer wanted to work. So for half the week, nothing got done on the 914. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
But today I figured I would get on it fist thing this morning. I decided I would start off with the seat mount supports that go on the underside of the car. These are Restoration Design pieces that I got from 9146C (Rob) when I went to pick up the rotisserie. Thanks Rob.

Initially these come with no holes, so I drilled holes so I could rosette weld them in. I wanted to use the spacing of the welds from the factory, but old Hans must have been hung over that day. Some of the welds were 1/2 inch aprt and some were 4 inches...lol...So I decided to space them 1.5 inches apart. I think that will give me plenty of bonding and support.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
Repeated the process for the other side...Thank goodness I have a drill press.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I marked the body of the car so I could sand where the welds would go. I didnt want to sand entire areas because of the protectant that is on the panel.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then welded them in place....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
After welding them in, I went back an ground them flush so it would look more like factory spot welds

Literati914
coming along great, keep it up !!

Puebloswatcop
Then I turned my attention to the floor plugs. The four larger ones up front and the giant on from the trunk had to have all of the undercoating removed befor blasting them clean to bare metal. So for hours I scraped until I got the majority of it off, I swear Porsche paid the guy who applied the seam sealer by the gallon that he applied in a day. But finally got them all blasted and cleaned.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Painted them with self etching primer...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Not wanting to watch paint dry I turned my attention to the 4 small holes that were in the floor, not sure exactly what these were for, but I decided to weld them closed. First I had to remove the metal cover from the inside, remove the seam sealer and hammer the flaps flush, then welded each one and ground the welds flush.

Puebloswatcop
After removing all of the seam sealer from the other plug holes, I re-installed the plugs with new seam slealer applied to the mating surfaces. Will go back after I blast the entire floor and apply the final coats of seam sealer.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
Nice thing is, by the end of the day I got to cross two tasks off the white board. I am hoping that I can cross the rest off by the end of the week.....and now its time for beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
9146C
Your project is coming along nicely Kevin...keep up the good work! Enjoy following your thread!
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(9146C @ Dec 2 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Your project is coming along nicely Kevin...keep up the good work! Enjoy following your thread!

Thanks Rob, If it hadn't been for our meeting I wouldn't be near as far along.
Puebloswatcop
So I finally found someplace in east Texas that sels weld through primer, which I desperately needed before welding the rear jack points back in. The drivers side triangle was already cleaned and primed, but for some reason I couldn't remember what I did with the other one. Found it in my parts boxes this morning, so that was my goal for the day. Took about 2 hours to get it all cleaned up, blasted and primed. Then it was on to the task.

First I had to strip the primer I had sprayed as a rust preventative.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
The good thing about re-installing the same supports is that the alignment is exactly the same as they were installed at the factory....How do I know, because the holes drilled through the triangles line up with the dimples in the long, where I drilled them out....

So I painted both the mating side of the triangles with the weld through primer as well as the portion of the long and the floor where they are welded together.

Puebloswatcop
The weld through primer I used is a zinc based primer, hopefully it will provide some level of protection between the the mating surfaces.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Got the passenger side all welded in. The welds were a bit of a challenge welding with the primer in place, got allot of spattering. So after a bit of reading I discovered that it works buch better if you remove the paint where you are actually welding. Live and learn.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
then I ground the welds flush and primered it with the black primer to keep the rust at bay.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then it was wash, rinse and repeat on the driver's side. Here is a pic of both of them in place. Its starting to look like a complete car again.

MM1
Thank you for sharing!

I especially appreciate the steering column bearing swap tutorial . . .

Your front support donut pics show why (according to some veteran sources here) the donuts were never meant to support the car (and why so many are bent). . .I do believe (as stated by others) they were only used for the body in white on the production line . . .glad I spent the time to make a 4x6' wooden dolly with slots that supports the entire rocker flange.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 3 2021, 06:02 PM) *

Thank you for sharing!

I especially appreciate the steering column bearing swap tutorial . . .

Your front support donut pics show why (according to some veteran sources here) the donuts were never meant to support the car (and why so many are bent). . .I do believe (as stated by others) they were only used for the body in white on the production line . . .glad I spent the time to make a 4x6' wooden dolly with slots that supports the entire rocker flange.

Thanks for your post. Glad the steering column post was helpful to you. Still a long way to go, but now that I'm retired I hope to get er done someday.
wonkipop
@Puebloswatcop

thanks for the emission sticker info.

i worked out the dates on our cars when i had some time this morning.
mine is friday 25 jan 74
yours is monday 28th jan 74.
not quite same day cars but close.
exactly 30 after mine in the vin numbers.

yours copped the kalifornia vaping motor on the smog front.
mine was a 49 state marlboro smoker.

i'll be watching your rebuild thread.
only a weekend between these cars 40 odd years ago.
good luck with the rebuild mate. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 3 2021, 08:52 PM) *

@Puebloswatcop

thanks for the emission sticker info.

i worked out the dates on our cars when i had some time this morning.
mine is friday 25 jan 74
yours is monday 28th jan 74.
not quite same day cars but close.
exactly 30 after mine in the vin numbers.

yours copped the kalifornia vaping motor on the smog front.
mine was a 49 state marlboro smoker.

i'll be watching your rebuild thread.
only a weekend between these cars 40 odd years ago.
good luck with the rebuild mate. beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing that info. Not sure what day is worse in manufacturing, Friday - I cant wait for the weekend so I can party, or Monday, I am hung over from partying all weekend....lol. When mine is done it will be a marlboro smoker as well. the plan at this point is a 2056 motor. Take care and thanks for watching. beerchug.gif drunk.gif
Puebloswatcop
Today I decided to weld in the rear traction bar mounts.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
After checking the placement and fit, it turned out the short tail of the bracket needed a little tweeking to get it to sit flush to the surface...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.