Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First of the Texas Twins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2023, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 22 2023, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2023, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 21 2023, 06:40 PM) *

After trimming the stud, the cover fit nicely. So I installed the wires, the cover and bolted it closed. I am pleased with the way it looks with the gun metal gray cover and pully....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I suggest you check the continuity between the red wire for the alternator and the body of the alternator. 914 alternators are notorious for shorting out the stud on the alternator rear cover. The factory used a very short stud and a thin nut to prevent this.

Thanks for the tip Clay. I will do that. I also found that there is supposed to be a gasket between the cover and the alternator body, but of course itis no longer available, so I am going to get some gaske material and make my own, which will give a bit more space, although very minimal, I'm sure.

There is also supposed to be a rubber boot over the stud. But most of them are long gone. And if the stud it too long it will tear the boot and still short out against the cover.

The new harness did come with the rubber boot on it, so some insurance, but that was my concern that over time if the cover was rubbing on it it would wear through.
Puebloswatcop
Well. the first of my transmission tools arrived today from 914 Werke, waiting on a couple more and then it will be transmission work time.......

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Well, finally after nearly 4 weeks of waiting, I received my flywheel from Jorge at European Auto. Not his fault it took so long, just still having supply issues.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
So I mounted the flywheel and set it up with a dial indicator. Then worked on zeroing the dial. Measured it several times, Making sure I zeroed it each time.

Puebloswatcop
It was a pain converting all the numbers from inches to mm's but I was able to get that done....when I was done the average measurement was .9906 mm, which meant I needed to fill about .8906 mm, with shims. I used a combination until I got it to .0040 inches, which converted to .1016 mm.

In the photo I know it shows .035 inches, but I had the dial guage set up poorly, so re-did the setup. Tomorrow, I will remove the flywheel and put the rear seal, the pilot bearing, etc. before bolting it in for good.

Puebloswatcop
Meanwhile I wanted to get the cooling fan installed so it didn't get damaged sitting around the garage.

The first photo shows how bad it looked prior to disassembling it, blasting it, having the belt ring powder coated. Etc. Before disassembly I indexed the fan in orientation to the ring, with an index dot where the balance weight was installed in the belt ring. Since these came balanced from the factory, I believed this was the only way I could come back with as close to being balanced in the end.

Puebloswatcop
After re-assembling the fan, I used a tooth pick and red paint to highlight the timing marks on the fan.
Puebloswatcop
As yo can see, a bit too much coffee made it difficult to keep the paint in the lines....lol, so I sanded the marks with 300 grit paper to sharpen it up a bit....

Puebloswatcop
Then I installed the spacer, the fan and all new hardware. The two arrows show the location of the weight on the ring and the indentation I used to mark the fan so they could be re-assembled the way it was originally oriented.

bkrantz
Progress!
Puebloswatcop
Well stupid me...I forgot to drill the breather holes into the heads before assembling the engine......so now I have to devise a way to do it without dumping metal shavings into the engine....

First I needed to mark the boss where the hole needed to be drilled. The fittings for the hoses are 1/4"NPT to barbed fittings.....

Puebloswatcop
After getting the alignment of where the fitting needed to go on the boss of the head, I found a punch that fit exactly into the fitting so it made centering the mark quite easy.

Puebloswatcop
Then came the hard part, drilling the hole, without dumping all of the shavings into the heads and valve train. So after removing the valve covers, I stuffed rags down into the pushrod tubes, then covered the valve springs with a rag, kind of like a blanket. I started with a 1/8 drill bit and started my hole.

After getting it drilled into the head, I checked the alignment of the drill bit to the boss with a straight edge.....The 1/8 whole was a little out of alignment, but I was able to square it up with the next sized bit. Then I drilled it 1/16 th of an inch larger with each bit until I reached the required 7/16 inch hole. That way I could double check the alignment and vacuum the shavings and replace my blanket rag after each size up.

Tedious, but worth the time in the end.

Puebloswatcop
Then using lots of machine lube and a 1/4 inch NPT Tap, I tapped out the hole, cleaning the hole, tap and changing out the blanket rag several times during the process. In the end, I have very little cleaning to do, but will remove the rocker assemblies and insure everything is cleaned out. The and result came out very nice.... so one down, one to go.

bkrantz
Hmm, have you read all the pros and cons on venting the heads? After buying mine from Len Hoffman, he explained his position firmly: no vents.
bob164
Maybe an optical illusion but you may need to remove the hose fitting to install the intake manifolds.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 20 2023, 09:23 PM) *

Hmm, have you read all the pros and cons on venting the heads? After buying mine from Len Hoffman, he explained his position firmly: no vents.

So Bob, I guess my question is if you don't vent the heads, how do you vent bypass gasses so they don't build up in the engine case? Did, Len give you any insight? I can always plug the hole(s) since they are threaded. My concern is the pressure building in the engine case would lead to oil leakage...etc.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bob164 @ Feb 21 2023, 02:44 AM) *

Maybe an optical illusion but you may need to remove the hose fitting to install the intake manifolds.

I think its an illusion, however, I will try it out and let you know the outcome.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 21 2023, 07:01 PM) *

So Bob, I guess my question is if you don't vent the heads, how do you vent bypass gasses so they don't build up in the engine case? Did, Len give you any insight? I can always plug the hole(s) since they are threaded. My concern is the pressure building in the engine case would lead to oil leakage...etc.

Any 914 with L-Jet didn't have vents in the heads. The crankcase was vented to the intake hose, and that was on the downstream side of the air flow meter. Any blowby was pulled into the intake and burned.

IIRC... the late 2.0 engines didn't have head vents either.

yeahmag
MIght consider asking around for another fan. That one appears to be missing a fin.

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 12 2023, 03:22 PM) *

Meanwhile I wanted to get the cooling fan installed so it didn't get damaged sitting around the garage.

The first photo shows how bad it looked prior to disassembling it, blasting it, having the belt ring powder coated. Etc. Before disassembly I indexed the fan in orientation to the ring, with an index dot where the balance weight was installed in the belt ring. Since these came balanced from the factory, I believed this was the only way I could come back with as close to being balanced in the end.

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 21 2023, 08:38 PM) *

MIght consider asking around for another fan. That one appears to be missing a fin.

Thanks for pointing that out Aaron. I looked back at my pics and realized I posted the wrong fan in the pre-loaded stage...I did discard that fan for another and it does have all of the fins.

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 12 2023, 03:22 PM) *

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2023, 08:25 PM) *

Any 914 with L-Jet didn't have vents in the heads. The crankcase was vented to the intake hose, and that was on the downstream side of the air flow meter. Any blowby was pulled into the intake and burned.

Clay, thanks for the input. So if I am not using LJet and the engine is carbureted, what is the best way to proceed?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 21 2023, 06:01 PM) *

Here is the page about venting Type 4 motors on Len's website. As I understand, forcing any excess air pressure inside the valve covers to exit into the case via the push rod tubes helps to flush oil back into the case. And the case will vent through the top breather, with or without a PCV. BTW, I omitted the PCV but then routed the vent hose to a catch can.

https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/12/10/typ...tests-analysis/
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 21 2023, 09:46 PM) *

Clay, thanks for the input. So if I am not using LJet and the engine is carbureted, what is the best way to proceed?

I would route both head vents and the pcv valve to a puke box. Something like https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1754.htm

Also, If you want to replace the fan with the broken fin, I have a few laying around.

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2023, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 21 2023, 09:46 PM) *

I would route both head vents and the pcv valve to a puke box. Something like https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1754.htm

Also, If you want to replace the fan with the broken fin, I have a few laying around.

Thanks Clay, that was my plan was to run the lines to a oil can and to the PCV. This is what I do with my regular engines, so I assumed it would work on an air-cooled engine as well.

As for the fan I will be needing a replacement, so let me know how much you would want and we can either arrange shipping or I can pick it up next time I am up your way.. thanks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 22 2023, 07:50 AM) *

As for the fan I will be needing a replacement, so let me know how much you would want and we can either arrange shipping or I can pick it up next time I am up your way.. thanks.

I have plenty of spare fans, so come get some of the mass out of my garage. biggrin.gif

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 21 2023, 09:54 PM) *

Here is the page about venting Type 4 motors on Len's website. As I understand, forcing any excess air pressure inside the valve covers to exit into the case via the push rod tubes helps to flush oil back into the case. And the case will vent through the top breather, with or without a PCV. BTW, I omitted the PCV but then routed the vent hose to a catch can.

Thanks Bob. Very interesting reading. I think I may just plug the vent hole I just did and try it without the venting...If I decide I want to vent the heads, I can always remove the plugs and install the nipples, and reroute any hoses......
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 22 2023, 07:25 PM) *

Thanks Bob. Very interesting reading. I think I may just plug the vent hole I just did and try it without the venting...If I decide I want to vent the heads, I can always remove the plugs and install the nipples, and reroute any hoses......

Len's heads have threaded holes, and shipped with both hose fittings and plugs. Initially I planned to use vent hoses but then Len convinced me to try them plugged. So far, with running on the street and during my session on the dyno I have not noticed any problems.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 22 2023, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 22 2023, 07:25 PM) *

Len's heads have threaded holes, and shipped with both hose fittings and plugs. Initially I planned to use vent hoses but then Len convinced me to try them plugged. So far, with running on the street and during my session on the dyno I have not noticed any problems.

Thanks Bob. I think I will tap the vent into the other head at this point, but plug them and try running them without the hoses....I can always change it to breather hoses later if there is a need.
Puebloswatcop
So after drilling and tapping the heads for threaded fittings to vent the heads, I got allot of feedback. Pros and Cons of venting. Thanks to all who provided input. Thanks Bob for sending the link to Len Hoffmans printed research article. After researching this I have decided to plug the heads and go un-vented for now. The good thing is, if I discover this to be a problem area, I can always uncrew the plugs, screw in the fittings and change things in about 5 minutes....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Finally had some time to work on the engine this weekend. Got all of the new parts needed to install the flywheel. Since the crankshaft had been reworked, the spacer had been removed. Not sure if I did it or the machine shop did, but it was missing, so I grabbed one from one of my spare crankshafts. In the second pic you can see that the spacer is missing.

Puebloswatcop
Spacer installed and then the rear main seal...

Puebloswatcop
Then I needed to install the o-ring and pilot bearing into the flywheel. After installing the O ring, I lubed it with assembly lube. I believe it will hold up better than oil while the engine waits to be run in.

Since I didn't have a press available I improvised with a bolt, nut and two washers. The bearing came un-lubricated, so first I packed it with very high temp grease. Then ligned it up and using the bolt pulled it into place.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Did you check the crankshaft end play? The shims between the flywheel and the case determine the end play.

Puebloswatcop
After lubricating the rear main seal (using assebly lube) it was time to mate the flywheel to the crankshaft. After alligning the flywheel I used the bolts and the old ring to pull it into place. After removing the old mounting ring, I put in the oil soaked wool seal in place and installed the new mounting ring and torqued the flywheel in place.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
After the flywheel was in place I checked the valve adjustment one more time and then installed the engine tin. I decided to go with stainless low profile socket cap screws to attach the tin. While its not original, I believe that it will be easier to remove should the need arise, and I think it looks a bit more modern too.

Puebloswatcop
After installing the engine tin, I went to re-install the distributor. It would not go back in because it interfered with the tin. I realized I had the distributor installed 180 degrees out. So after re-installing the distributor drive and re-orienting the distributor, it all ligned up perfectly.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 5 2023, 07:29 PM) *

After installing the engine tin, I went to re-install the distributor. It would not go back in because it interfered with the tin. I realized I had the distributor installed 180 degrees out. So after re-installing the distributor drive and re-orienting the distributor, it all ligned up perfectly.

That's not a stock distributor. What is it?

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 5 2023, 07:32 PM) *

It's just a mock up distributor. The plan is to install a 123 distributor so I can tune it via blue tooth
ClayPerrine
Did you check the flywheel end play?

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 5 2023, 07:32 PM) *

It's just a mock up distributor. The plan is to install a 123 distributor so I can tune it via blue tooth
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 6 2023, 07:45 AM) *

Did you check the flywheel end play?

I did check it and it measured at .1016 mm.
Puebloswatcop
I know its been awhile, just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day to work and play with the 914. But did get some more parts blasted to be sent to Finish Plating services for plating. Mostly just small misc. parts, but I needed my cooling flap clip (arrow) finished before I could proceed with my engine build.....I know, pretty picky since it will never be seen, but I hate rust.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
Didn't get any work done on the car this weekend....however a new piece of car bling arrived in the mail today.....My new 123 Tune Plus Distributor arrived, it is a work of car art....Many thanks to Gonzo54 and Ed Madak for making this group buy a reality....

I went with the angled Distributor Cap just to give it a try. If I dont like it I'll just buy a standard cap

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Spent a couple of hours with my baby in the garage this evening. The part that I needed to finish the cooling flaps arrived today....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Now to get it into this small space and clipped in place....But after a bit of fumbling with my fat stubby fingers, its in.

Puebloswatcop
Then I prepped the rear half of the fan shroud, I chased all of the threaded holes needed to mate the front half to the rear half. some of them had quite a buildup of hardened powder coat in them.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Next I needed to unwrap the front half of the fan shroud...it hasn't breathed fresh air for months.

Puebloswatcop
After completing the install I decided to call it a night..The install went okay with the excetion of one thing, I ordered the wrong size allen head bolts, so for now I have it back together using the old cheese head screws. Will go back and change them out as soon as I can locate them locally or I will have to wait for an order from Bel-Metric. Felt good to spend some time playing with big boy toys again.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Been absent for a bit. My daughter took me on a vacation to Florida to the Kennedy Space Center and Disney World. Fantastic trip, but I will skip Disney in the future...lol.

Anyway have gotten a few things done on the car, not alot, but inching forward.

Started with getting the thermostat system installed. The parts came back from FPS looking like new. Of course I couldn't wait to put them on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.