Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First of the Texas Twins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Puebloswatcop
After installing and torquing down the heads and setting the valve clearances, I rotated the enginne several times, then removed the heads to check the clay impressions...

In Cylinder #1 you can see the clay was well into the chamber and got just a small nick in it from the intake valve with no impression from the exhaust valve.

In the #2 Cylinder there was a more pronounced impression from the intake valve, but still none from the exhaust valve.

Since my clay was approximately 2.5 mm thick There should be more than adequate clearances for the valves.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

bkrantz
Looks good.
Puebloswatcop
Then I figured it might be time to seal up some of the gaping holes in the engine that would allow unwanted dirt and dust inside. I started with the oil pick up. I did buy the Tuna Can setup from 914 Werke. The product seems very well made. First step was to install the extension onto the pick up tube. Since it needs to be pressed on about 1/2 inch, I coated about 1/4 inch of the pickup with Aviation gasket sealer and then pressed it into place.

Puebloswatcop
I decided to keep the particle screen in the engine so had to drill out the center hole to fit the new bolt with the kit, then installed the 2 gaskets (one above and one below the screen) coating everything with sealer.

Puebloswatcop
Then more sealant and add the tuna can and cover......

Puebloswatcop
Then time to plug up the second larges hole, the taco plate and the oild temp sending unit...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then it was on to the oil galley plugs....

Puebloswatcop
And the oil flow control valves...I made sure to match the valves that came from this engine for re-installation, since I have several engines torn down.

Puebloswatcop
Last but not least was the oil drain plug. When I pulled it out of the bag, Something didn't quite look right. I realized that there was part of the old sealing ring embeded on the plug threads, bet the PO was always wondering why there was a leak there......

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
Then it was time to install the very first piece of the newly powder coated engine tin under the cylinders and the push rod tubes...

Puebloswatcop
So half of the engine has been completed, the front is sealed up as well as #1 & #2 cylinders and the bottom of the engine....One side to go....

Puebloswatcop
Again, this is my first air cooled engine build, so...PLEASE...if anyone sees anything I am missing, could do better or differently, feel free to chime in and share your experience with me, so I can get it right.....Thanks all. drunk.gif
FlacaProductions
Thanks for documenting the tuna can install. I have one ready to go on the next oil change and this is another write-up that's helpful. I went to do it last time but couldn't get the OEM sump cover off - it has since been suggested that a couple of light shots with a rubber mallet will break it free. I'm guessing it has sealant on it and is just really sealed. Sort of a bummer that I"m going to remove it as it's bone dry but I've had the car 3 years and never had that plate off to clean the screen and have a look. Thanks again - great thread.
Puebloswatcop
Belmetric comes through again.... I decided to go with all stainless, shallow head, allen screws for my engine tin. I just think they are easier to deal with and wont strip out as easily during installation and removal....And they have a nice clean look to them as well.

Puebloswatcop
Didn't have allot of time this weekend to work on my pride and joy, but did get the other head put on. Started by installing all of the studs using Loctite 271 (red). After installing the last 2 pistons I also installed the engine tin that fits under the cylinders.

Puebloswatcop
Then installed the pushrod tubes. It is actually starting to look like a real engine. Now I need to go through all those boxes in the background and find the other valve train componenets....

Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
With the holidays, and all the visitors, its been difficult to get much done on the car. But I did get some of the tedious parts cleaned and then installed. Starting with the oil cooler mounting studs. They had the nuts stuck on them and when I originally removed the oil cooler long ago, the studs came out of the engine case. So I soaked them in PB Blaster. I found the nuts still didn't want to come off, but they would screw on further down the stud.....

Puebloswatcop
After screwing them all the way down the threaded portion, I chased the threads with a tap and the nuts came right off. Then I cleaned up the studs and decided not to re-use the nuts, so used new nuts and washers....

Puebloswatcop
After getting all three studs cleaned and the threads chased, I used blue threadlock and replaced them into the engine case. Then I used aircraft sealant on the gasket surfaces and installed the oil cooler.

Puebloswatcop
I also started re-installing more engine tin. I also installed the new engine mounts. I really like the Gun Metal color I decided to finish the engine tin and some of the other parts. I know its not the usual black, but I just wanted to be a bit different and unique.

Cairo94507
Coming together nicely; I like the gun metal too. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 1 2023, 09:25 AM) *

Coming together nicely; I like the gun metal too. beerchug.gif

Thanks Cairo. I just wanted to be a bit different. And the gun metal kind of grabbed my attention.
bkrantz
Looks great. Does the engine still spin easy?
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 1 2023, 08:17 PM) *

Looks great. Does the engine still spin easy?

Yes, so far, so good. I am waiting on a new flywheel so I can set the endplay, but still turning easy with no interference or binding.
Puebloswatcop
Friday I picked up the last of the powder coated items for the engine. So thought I would start assembling the smaller pieces. Starting with the thermostat assembly. While it will not be very visible, I wanted it to match all of the engine tin.

Puebloswatcop
And here it is installed in its ever forgotten space on the engine...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I moved on to the oil filler/breather assembly. The powder coater even got the inside coated as best he could. And I still had the original PCV Valve.

Puebloswatcop
I re-installed the filler neck and the bottom plug, but was a bit disapointed in the way the filler cap looked. I guess I will have to work on it and see if I can get the gray appearance to go back to black or try to find a better cap.

Puebloswatcop
And here it is in its very prominant place on top of the engine...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Today was spent blasting and painting some of the many exhaust/heating pieces. The small pieces were pretty easy and quick..

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Blasting the insides clean was a long and tedious process, but I wanted to get inside and out with the VHT paint in order to try to preserve the metal as long as possible, who knows, maybe another 50 years?

Puebloswatcop
After 3 coats of VHT, inside and out I am pretty pleased. I did end up with a couple of runs while trying to get an inside coat, but not totally disappointed.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Got the re-built alernator all dressed out with the newly powder coated parts as well. Going to have to wait until my alternator wire harness is delivered to finish it out.

bkrantz
Gotta love making parts pretty that nobody will ever see. But that's part of the illness.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 15 2023, 08:54 PM) *

Gotta love making parts pretty that nobody will ever see. But that's part of the illness.

I absolutely agree Bob, and I think I have found the disease that will ultimately be my demise....lol.
Puebloswatcop
So, tonight I went to put my valve covers on the engine and looked high and low for the newly plated bales that hold them in place. When I couldnt find them, I went back through my photos and to my dismay they weren't in the photo's. This can only mean that I failed to send any of them to be plated.... headbang.gif headbang.gif another delay.
Puebloswatcop
Look what arrived in the mail today from 914 Rubber.....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
After a trial fit I discovered that this lug where the red wire has to go is to long to allow the cover to sit flat with the rubber cover for the wire in place...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
So in order to cut it off and not have any issues with the threads, I threaded the die on first, then a washer to protect the die. Then cut the stud to a shorter length. Then I backed the die off so I had a nice clean thread.

Puebloswatcop
After trimming the stud, the cover fit nicely. So I installed the wires, the cover and bolted it closed. I am pleased with the way it looks with the gun metal gray cover and pully....

worn
It is so great. The paint, the cleanness, the powder coating. I suggest that you mostly drive indoors. Or maybe have a high speed street sweeper run ahead for every itinerary. You must be proud!
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 21 2023, 06:50 PM) *

It is so great. The paint, the cleanness, the powder coating. I suggest that you mostly drive indoors. Or maybe have a high speed street sweeper run ahead for every itinerary. You must be proud!

lol-2.gif The plan for now is to drive it only on sunny days. Our little town certainly doesn't have a high speed street sweeper, in fact, I don't think they have a street sweeper at all....so I guess I will stick to our country roads....lol
Puebloswatcop
And in trying to get my garage space more organized (especially with the limited space) I built a new paint rack. Hopefully tomorrow it will be on the wall.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 21 2023, 06:26 PM) *

And in trying to get my garage space more organized (especially with the limited space) I built a new paint rack. Hopefully tomorrow it will be on the wall.

Click to view attachment

Ha! I bet you will need about 10 of those racks before long.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 21 2023, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 21 2023, 06:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ha! I bet you will need about 10 of those racks before long.

Lol, I think you're right Bob. I am pretty much out of room.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 21 2023, 06:40 PM) *

After trimming the stud, the cover fit nicely. So I installed the wires, the cover and bolted it closed. I am pleased with the way it looks with the gun metal gray cover and pully....

I suggest you check the continuity between the red wire for the alternator and the body of the alternator. 914 alternators are notorious for shorting out the stud on the alternator rear cover. The factory used a very short stud and a thin nut to prevent this.

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2023, 10:14 AM) *

I suggest you check the continuity between the red wire for the alternator and the body of the alternator. 914 alternators are notorious for shorting out the stud on the alternator rear cover. The factory used a very short stud and a thin nut to prevent this.

Thanks for the tip Clay. I will do that. I also found that there is supposed to be a gasket between the cover and the alternator body, but of course itis no longer available, so I am going to get some gaske material and make my own, which will give a bit more space, although very minimal, I'm sure.
Puebloswatcop

Thanks for the tip Clay. I will do that. I also found that there is supposed to be a gasket between the cover and the alternator body, but of course itis no longer available, so I am going to get some gaske material and make my own, which will give a bit more space, although very minimal, I'm sure.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 22 2023, 03:26 PM) *

There is also supposed to be a rubber boot over the stud. But most of them are long gone. And if the stud it too long it will tear the boot and still short out against the cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.