Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First of the Texas Twins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Puebloswatcop
After completing the install I used a het gun to insure the system was operating as it should. The operation of the flaps was not as smooth as I hoped for, but with the vibration of the engine with running there should not be any problems. Plus I think the new bushings and new paint on the flap shaft will wear in time and allow for smoother operation.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Now its time to start filling in some of the holes in the engine tin.

Puebloswatcop
I broke out the seals that I bought months ago from 914 Rubber.

Puebloswatcop
And then filled in with the J Tubes. The sealing grove on the seals was not as deep as the original part, so it kept popping out of the tin when trying to push in the J Tubes, however once everything was bolted in place the seal was nice and tight, no air leaks there.

Puebloswatcop
Then its time to add more tin. But first I installed a new alternator belt. Much easier than doing it with all the other tin in place.

Then the front tin went on.

Puebloswatcop
Now its really starting to look like the engine I removed from the car, only alot cleaner....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Next I needed to clear some shelf space in the garage, so I installed the Dual Weber 44's.
I know everyone says 40's are the way to go, but since I have a 2056 with a higher lift cam and larger valves, I went with 44's after consulting several sources. I figure if I don't like the way they perform I will switch them out to 40's.

First the intake runners went on, then using locktite blue, I installed the carb studs.

Puebloswatcop
First carb in place.....then add the top gasket.

Puebloswatcop
Then the linkage adaptor plate, another gasket and the filter base and air horns.....

Puebloswatcop
Both carbs installed and the airfilters in place...

Puebloswatcop
Somehow I lost all my pictures of the linkage installation, but here are the pictures after it was completed. I will say this, The installation instructions from Redline leave allot to be desired. Thank goodness for all the 914ers on here that are more than willing to help and answer seemingly dumb questions.....

Puebloswatcop
And the last picture of the day, carbs and linkage installed. Final adjustments, etc.. will be saved for another day.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
Looking good, Kevin. That linkage looks sexier than the twin cable kit I got from Tangerine--I hope it stays in sync. piratenanner.gif
Literati914
Yea Kevin, that engine looks great! So freakin’ clean - wow! first.gif

Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 11 2023, 06:53 PM) *

Looking good, Kevin. That linkage looks sexier than the twin cable kit I got from Tangerine--I hope it stays in sync. piratenanner.gif

I was considering the twin cable setup as well, but decided to go with the linkage that came in the kit for now. If I find myself having sync issues I will look at alternative setups......but for now I am trying to save up for some sexy looking SSI heat exchangers and a new muffler system.....OUCH!
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 11 2023, 06:53 PM) *

I was considering the twin cable setup as well, but decided to go with the linkage that came in the kit for now. If I find myself having sync issues I will look at alternative setups......but for now I am trying to save up for some sexy looking SSI heat exchangers and a new muffler system.....OUCH!
Puebloswatcop
Had a little spare time today and while I was moving things around in the garage, saw my center console and 3rd seat tray. Just for fun I set them in the car, remembering what they used to look like...

Puebloswatcop
The console has a couple of small tears in it and the tray has 2 holes where the screws broke through. The 3rd seat pad is pretty much shot. So I plan to have the console recovered in real black leather. But then I started thinking how I didn't reaal want to put the 3rd seat back in there. But not wanting to waste the space I decided to make a new center console to fill that space.

Puebloswatcop
I decided to build something that was substantially stronger than the flimsy plastic that was originally there, but didn't want to over-fill the space either, that being said I thought I would try a simple 1 X 4 frame.

Of course the 1 X 4 had to be cut to fit over the center frame support that goes across the middle of the car. So I marked out where the cut needed to be. I didnt want to have any square, sharp edges, so I cut the front of the notch using a forstner bit to give it a rounded shape where it goes over the frame.

Puebloswatcop
It worked out pretty well. I continued building the frame, insuring that it's size matched that of the flimsy plastic tray, thus insuring that it will fit once the back pad, etc. are all installed.

Since I have very specific storage ideas for it use I then divided it into 2 compartments. After I finish sanding, etc, I plan to have it covered in black leather as well so it will match the center console.

Puebloswatcop
Okay, So today felt like a toys for tots christmas, except for old guys.....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
The gift even comes in its own wrapping bags....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
These are definately works of art.......Can't wait to install them. Unfortunately, will have to wait since I leave for Colorado day after tomorrow....

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
New parts, especially sexy parts, are always inspiring. aktion035.gif
Puebloswatcop
So its been awhile since I have posted anything, because life has been crazy and its been hard to find time to work on the cars. But I am now working on getting a better work space and a place where the cars can live in comfort. The new shop will be 30' X 40' complete with 2 lifts, an office and a bathroom. Should make a nice man cave.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Sweet smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
Nice!
Puebloswatcop
Unfortunately, I am still not getting a lot done on the car, but the new shop is coming along. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't get to cold in Texas.....Was welding in 28 degree weather this morning.....

Puebloswatcop
Got all the roof beams in and will be putting roof perlons on this week. Hopefully the skin will start going on in a couple more weeks.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
By June it will average out.

Looking good!
Puebloswatcop
Got an unexpected gift from my oldest son and his wife. She has her own business and is very creative and talented. They made me this laser engraved Birch plaque for my wall in my office (when the shop is done).

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
So, the shop is coming along, all of the walls and doors are framed in, Just the roof perlons to install, then it's time for metal. What I did realize is that over the past several months I haven't done anything with the car in a long time. So I vowed to accompish at least one task each week on or for the car.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Since it is pouring rain today, I had to find something to do inside, I looked around and found my center console wiring harness and decided to work on it. After inspecting it I found several issues...

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
The first problem I found was at the end where the console harness plugs into the Main Chasis harness. You can see that there are several knicks and cuts on the ground wire that runs to the defrost light.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Next was the #1 lead group that runs to the temperature guage. As you can see, the plug end is missing and one spade connector is missing.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
On lead 2 that runs to the Volt Meter. It wasn't bad except that the PO had added a wire to the red wire. Not sure where it went.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Last was the 3rd lead which runs to the clock....It had an extra wire added to the ground wire, and a splice in the power wire....

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
I guess I could have just repaired the deficiencies on the harness I had, but I decided instead to build a new harness. I had parts and wire I ordered previously, so decided to make my own, that way, I didn't have to worry about the wires in the sleeves that I couldn't see. So I gathered up my wire strippers, my crimping tool, with the double crimp dies in it and a heat shrink heat gun.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I gathered up the wire I would need to build the harness. One thing I found is that when you order brown wire, it is a darker brown than the original wire, not a big deal except its almost as dark as one black wire in the harness.

Puebloswatcop
Then I gathered the wire. The good thing is all of the wire that runs to the guages is 0.5 mm (20 guage). Although I could not source wire that was marked the same as the original horizontal striped wire that Porsche used in the car, I was able to get the correct color coded wire. (Green/Black Stripe) (Red/White Stripe) (Blue/Black Stripe), etc.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I gathered up the PVC sleeve material that make up the protective sleeve for the harness. This required 4 sizes. 5,6,8 and 12 mm. I found out that these sizes are pretty impotant when you go to assemble the whole harness. if they are not the correct size, you cant insert all of the wires together.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then assembly began. I discovered it is very hard to gt all of the wires in place if you start in the main sleve, where the harness connects with the chasis harness. So I started with lead #1. it requires 2 blue/black, 2 red/white, 2 brown and one green/black wires.
These are fed through until about 3 inches of wire come out. Then I just tape the wires together to give me a reference to how much wire should be protruding and so it doesn't pull out of the sleeve.

Puebloswatcop
Next I did the lead two, Volt Meter branch of the harness. This is where things start to get a bit tricky. First I took one of the red/white, 1 blue/black and 1 brown, wires from the firstlead and feed them through the 6 mm sleeve. Then added 1 more black/blue and 1 brown wires, for a total of 5 wires in the branch. Again I fed them till there was about 3 inches protruding from the end, then taped that bundle.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then in the 5 mm sleeve (lead 3) I fed 1 blue/black and 1 brown from sleeve #2, and added a black wire. again they should protrude about 3 inches.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then I inserted the long ends of all of the wires into the 12 mm sleeve, that leads back to the main chasis harness. Now comes the frustrating part...stuffing all three of the "hub" ends of 1,2 and three sheaths into the Main harness sheath. They needed to be stuffed in about 1 inch. Takes a bit of persuation, but I got them in.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Then it was time to start adding the female spade connectors. One thing to note is that the red/white, green/black and brown connectors do not get shrink wrapped over the actual connectors. The blue black wires do get wrapped. I did shrink wrap the all of the wires up to the crimp though to give them a bit more strength. It is important for all of the wires except the blue/black wires have connectors with the retention tab on them.
Then the wires get inserted into the 3 way plug connector as they are labeled.

Puebloswatcop
At the end of the harness where it connects to the main harness, the connectors do not get shrink wrapped, because they will be inserted into the harness connectors, if the are shrink wrapped they wont fit inside the plugs. They do get the same shrink wrap on the crimp to provide added strength.

Click to view attachment

Puebloswatcop
The last thing I did was to insert a small amount of PVC glue into the end of the main wire sheath where the other 3 are inserted and then used shrink wrap to help secure the joint, I did this because I noticed in many of the harnesses, this was a point of separation after 50 years of service.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
In the end I was very happy with the way my new Harness turned out. I need two, one for each of my cars. But I bought extra wires, plugs and other parts in the event of some kind of problem (in case I destroyed any parts). So I ended up with 4 harnesses.....So if anyone is interested, I have posted the other 2 in the FS/WTB section of the world.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Nicely done - and probably very satisfying. You'll be happy with that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.