Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2012, 01:29 PM) *

Cool shots. Did you figure out how the orange got there?

Maybe the factory knew that orange 914s are the fastest... happy11.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2012, 09:29 AM) *

Yeah the rear has definitely been clipped. I will have some reworking to do back there. the job was good, but not great. In addition, 3 of the 4 quarters were also replaced. Both fronts and the left rear. Only the right rear was original. By the looks of things I'm fairly certain this was done a long time ago using factory panels except for the trunk, which interestingly enough was actually a trunk from another 6 ohmy.gif
billh1963
No wonder you haven't posted any updates on my car....you've been too tired to work on mine after scraping off undercoating for a week! poke.gif biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2012, 09:45 AM) *

No wonder you haven't posted any updates on my car....you've been too tired to work on mine after scraping off undercoating for a week! poke.gif biggrin.gif

I had a collision job week before last which set me behind. Yours is up next week welder.gif
SUNAB914
Scotty, wish I was closer to help you.
Bill, your avitar is killing me! haha
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 9 2012, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2012, 09:45 AM) *

I had a collision job week before last which set me behind. Yours is up next week welder.gif

No problem....I have Chris's car to drive! poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 9 2012, 01:39 PM) *

Yeah the rear has definitely been clipped. I will have some reworking to do back there. the job was good, but not great. In addition, 3 of the 4 quarters were also replaced. Both fronts and the left rear. Only the right rear was original. By the looks of things I'm fairly certain this was done a long time ago using factory panels except for the trunk, which interestingly enough was actually a trunk from another 6 ohmy.gif

Back then cutting up a 6 was probably no big deal. Nice that it matches.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2012, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 9 2012, 01:39 PM) *

Back then cutting up a 6 was probably no big deal. Nice that it matches.

agree.gif It'd be interesting to know if that other 6 is still out there somewhere idea.gif
Cairo94507
I am very pleased with what you have uncovered thus far. I believe a thread like this, laying it all bare for all to see, is a great way to show the differences in build btwn. a 4 and a 6, or a mild restoration and full blown one so people have an idea what to look for and expect.

As far as any panels that were not correctly installed and up to Scott's standards....guess what? Off they come and they will be reinstalled correctly. I have absolute confidence in Scotty B!

Thanks again Scott for the great work and keeping this thread moving with terrific pictures. Michael
scotty b
A quick update since I am here. I have been cleaning up the last fender well today ( right rear) and have uncoverd orange paint on it, so it would apear this 1/4 panel came from the same car the trunk did. Pics later shades.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2012, 12:45 PM) *

He didn't think you'd notice. He thought you were still drunk and grieving not getting the Alaskan Blue car. confused24.gif poke.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 9 2012, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 9 2012, 12:45 PM) *

He didn't think you'd notice. He thought you were still drunk and grieving not getting the Alaskan Blue car. confused24.gif poke.gif

It will be mine... happy11.gif
hot_shoe914
Well, you will be glad to know Scotty talked me out of putting welder.gif flares on it.
billh1963
Scotty is doing a great job! I'm looking forward to seeing this six back on the road!!!!
Cairo94507
Me too!
scotty b
Last wheel well and rockers are done smile.gif I'm going to box up the undercoating and weigh it just for S & giggles rolleyes.gif Jack triangles will be replaced I will probably also cut off the jack point on the pass side as it is prettt crusty and I'd like to make certain the long behind it is o.k. I find it interestign how the rustiest areas on the car so far are where they got soaked with oil from the coolant lines confused24.gif
mepstein
If the lines were always weaping oil, maybe the PO was always hitting that section with detergent and water to try to keep clean?
Cairo94507
25 pounds??????
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 10 2012, 10:43 AM) *

25 pounds??????

12?
seanery
hmm, I have an idea...Oh Scotty, check yer PMs! smile.gif
mepstein
Are you going to cut the holes in the replacement front panel?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2012, 02:10 PM) *

Am I Michael ? confused24.gif IMHO It's unnecssary and it just one more spot ( the edges ) for rust to start sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 11 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Am I Michael ? confused24.gif IMHO It's unnecssary and it just one more spot ( the edges ) for rust to start sad.gif

Authenticity?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2012, 02:14 PM) *

Authenticity?

It's a factory replacement panel, That's pretty authentic isn't it poke.gif av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 11 2012, 06:16 PM) *

Authenticity?

It's a factory replacement panel, That's pretty authentic isn't it poke.gif av-943.gif

If that let's you sleep at night...
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2012, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 11 2012, 06:16 PM) *

Authenticity?

If that let's you sleep at night...

You wanna take this outside buddy ? mad.gif
sixnotfour
The front is part of its history, none of the fenders are OG to the car. Or find a 70-71? and change it. I bought one in 1980 and it was the one you have ..I returned it and spent hours fixing my OG one.

Its all gut..
Cairo94507
No we will not be cutting the holes in that factory panel. I agree with Scotty re just additional spots for leaks, rust, etc. If this were a matching number C&W car then I would consider that. I believe that the right rear fender is original to the car; just saying.......
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2012, 03:53 PM) *

No we will not be cutting the holes in that factory panel. I agree with Scotty re just additional spots for leaks, rust, etc. If this were a matching number C&W car then I would consider that. I believe that the right rear fender is original to the car; just saying.......

I thought he found Orange not Gold.. av-943.gif Olympic reference
Cairo94507
To me, this car is gold KMA.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2012, 06:53 PM) *

OK, then how bout flares?

happy11.gif
Cairo94507
Thank goodness I sold the flares to keep me from being tempted. Straight bodied she will remain.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 12 2012, 09:56 AM) *

Thank goodness I sold the flares to keep me from being tempted. Straight bodied she will remain.

I guess the suby conversion is nixed? confused24.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2012, 06:23 AM) *

replaced fenders and quarters ? the right front is clearly a replacement with the Porsche ruddy prime..... the others ? I see no evidence in the photos.
The front latch panel ? obviously replaced.
trunk floor ? from another 6 ? what's the difference ? maybe by the body number in the rear but it sure looks original to me. in the front ? same as a four.
no dig to Scotty and I'm certainly not there but please show how this is known.
I'm always ready to learn.
scotty b
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 12 2012, 10:28 AM) *

replaced fenders and quarters ? the right front is clearly a replacement with the Porsche ruddy prime..... the others ? I see no evidence in the photos.
trunk floor ? from another 6 ? what's the difference ? maybe by the body number in the rear but it sure looks original to me. in the front ? same as a four.

Did you not notice that the trunk panel is ORANGE ?? Or that I pointed out where it was LAP WELDED IN then brushed seam sealer all over the welds ??? Or the ORANGE paint on the right rear 1/4 panel that I pointed out and took pics of, or the seam welds on BOTH front 1/4's along with the factory primer on BOTH Or the lack of undercoating on 3 out of 4 quarter panels, those being the same panels with NO signs of gold paint ???;:confused: Would you like me to make a post of these specific areas only.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 12 2012, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 12 2012, 10:28 AM) *

Did you not notice that the trunk panel is ORANGE ?? Or that I pointed out where it was LAP WELDED IN then brushed seam sealer all over the welds ??? Or the
ORANGE paint on the right rear 1/4 panel that I pointed out and took pics of, or the seam welds on BOTH front 1/4's along with the factory primer on BOTH Or the lack of undercoating on 3 out of 4 quarter panels, those being the same
panels with NO signs of gold paint ???;:confused: Would you like me to make a
post of these specific areas only.

Doh !!! OK OK already . I saw the factory ruddy prime on the right front fender and the front latch panel. By trunk panel I thought you meant the floor, thus my questions about floors. Now I see the left front fender and the rear quarter. I admit I failed to see those things and as I said I didn't mean it as a dig. I apologize, I spoke without taking enough time to look and ended up half wrong.
Rory

scotty b
huh.gif
scotty b
biggrin.gif

all snuggled down with her sister for a long winters nap smile.gif
billh1963
Slip one of those in my green car!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
mepstein
I think Scotty wants to build an 12 cylinder boxter motor.

scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2012, 05:08 PM) *

I think Scotty wants to build an 12 cylinder boxter motor.

hide.gif
Eric_Shea
For the house-van?
JmuRiz
Cool motors, I wish I could swap my 2.7 for one smile.gif

Pooh, and I just noticed one already has a 914/6 oil cooler, nice!
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 31 2012, 10:04 PM) *

Cool motors, I wish I could swap my 2.7 for one smile.gif

Pooh, and I just noticed one already has a 914/6 oil cooler, nice!

The cooler might be for sale. I'm thinking of using a bypass on the engine from aircooled racing and just using one cooler in the front of the car.
Socalandy
So if the rear section was from another -6 and several other panels were replaced exactly how many -6 cars do you have here biggrin.gif

your off to a great start and I'm enjoying the thread!!! Keep posting drooley.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice to see the engine made it safely to VA and is now in close proximity to my car smile.gif It is an '89 3.2.

The next thing I have to do is call Web Cams and see what the specs are for the cams it has in it. It came with the stock cams too in case I want to switch back. The ones in the engine are supposed to be similar to 964 cams. The engine also came with a Steve Wong chip as well as the stock chip.

It has approximately 40K miles on it, I have the paperwork from the original owner whose car it came out of as well as the guy I just bought it from. The motor sat in a garage for over 10 years until the seller I purchased it from installed it in his car a couple of years ago and drove it; I know it needs a complete valve job and guides at the minimum. Then whatever else Scotty thinks it needs it will get.

PS - It also came with a set of headers (911) which I would like to sell, extra fan, shroud, and assorted other parts. I heard and saw it run before I bought it via Face Time - which was cool.
scotty b
dibs on the headers smile.gif I'll talk to you about the extra parts as well. Might want to hold onto the alt until yours is in and known good.

the 3.2 heater boxes are in excellent shape if anyone needs them

also send me all the inf you have on the engine when you get it all so i know what I am dealing with internally and externaly. It looks like an Autothority MAF unit, but the sticker is old and can't be read. Model number would be handy. If that is what it is I'll contact Autothority and see if I can get a new sticker for it if that is what you choose to run
mepstein
Hold onto the extra fan shroud. They crack and oem are unobtanium.
gollygwagen
As a side note, the local guy I've started getting parts from has about a dozen or more 914's and a warehouse full of parts but the jewel is a gold 914-6 that is sitting up high on a stand with the wheels off and you can see all the parts have been powder coated and everything. Pretty sweet car. Guy has just about every part you can imagine, it's crazy.
mepstein
all snuggled down with her sister for a long winters nap...

Is my engine a girl? Is she sexy?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.