Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JmuRiz
All pre-galvanized Porsches (or any car really) has some rust. It's just if it's been fixed already by the PO or you will need to do the fixin.

My car was/is a nice one and it had rust in the usual places along with some "WTF were they thinking when they fixed that" repairs.

PPI saved me probably $10-15k on my 356 purchase...by passing on one car and getting a known good one.
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 20 2016, 10:08 AM) *

I have a 911 in right now that was owned by a Porsche tech, and then another Porsche fan. None of us were aware of the shit that was under the car. We knew the front pan had issues, but had no idea until he undercoating was stripped off that the whole front end was shot. Wrecked, pulled back out, rusted, patched, bondo'd, painted and undercoated.

I think I know that car.... rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
Word to the Scotty-man. aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Oh, just opened the mail....the State of California, Bay Area Air Quality Management District, is offering me $1000.00 for my Six if I have it scrapped. Uhhh, I think I'll pass, as generous as their offer is.
scotty b
Some goodies have shown up from Bruce Stone and Palo Alto smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Damn that's sexy!
scotty b
I also started making the center console last week. I'll probably get it finished this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm making it as I feel the factory would have so we can completely cover the interior with the same leather the seats and door panels will get, assemble it with screws or rivets ( not decided which yet, but leaning towards riv-nuts and screws ) , then cover the exterior with the proper edge bound Perlon like the carpet will be. FWIW I have a couple complete cars here I am fitting the console to, since Michael's car is completely gutted

I met with the upholsterer a couple weeks ago, and am waiting on him to finish a Chebby he has in,and then I can take Michael's interior down. Dash, windshield header and rollbar pad will be going out to JUST DASHES later this week. The lock set is finally done after a LONG ordeal with the chrome shop, as soon as it is all back from Tweet I'll post pics. Safe to say, I have found a new chrome shop halfway across the country. Some day when I have time to sit down I'll do a little write up on our experience with the chroming, and some things you can do to avoid the issues we ran into dry.gif

JmuRiz
Good to know about the chrome shop!

That setup is the best for a stock panel...a full set of gauges in a 3-gauge setup!

Very cool deposit box setup. I have always wondered about the flimsy stock pieces.
Cairo94507
Thanks for posting those Scotty. I always forget that posting pictures is a pain in the butt and takes times. I am sure at the end of the day Scotty, like everyone else here, just wants to relax and put their tootsies up and enjoy a cold one.

It is nice to see some of the work we outsourced returning to Scotty after some delays. But when you are good at what you do, and people know it, people want their stuff done too. That is just the way it goes. The gauges speak for themselves - they look absolutely beautiful. Not inexpensive but well worth it. Bruce's work is also just artwork too. Thanks to Bruce and Palo Alto Speedometer (Palo Alto, CA) for great work.

I am looking forward to seeing the chassis moving forward. Scotty should be done at this point with the actual metal fabrication and rust issues. I am hoping the next steps will be body work and then primer and color. Once my chassis is in color then it will start coming together. I am hoping to see a lot of pictures coming soon.
Cairo94507
OK.... so my thread has been dormant for so long that only one person (thank you JmuRiz) wants to comment????? shades.gif
mepstein
Is it done yet
Cairo94507
Not quite.....we are getting closer to color though. I am hoping Scotty is shooting color by June 2016.
sixnotfour
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
we will keep it on the first page as a reminder.. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 6 2016, 02:47 PM) *

Not quite.....we are getting closer to color though. I am hoping Scotty is shooting color by June 2016.

You know this is going to start a "what color?" poke.gif fest right biggrin.gif ? Gonna be a great car.
Cairo94507
I'm having Scotty clear over bare steel to avoid the color fiasco.... lol-2.gif BTW, that original deposit box was a shambles. I am glad Scotty is doing a new one out of metal.
JmuRiz
Gold gold gold biggrin.gif
Jake94526
gold color =poopoo for this car. devil.gif
Cairo94507
As I believe in full disclosure.....Jake94526 is my identical twin brother.
JmuRiz
I've never met you, but I still like messin' with you (since I'm friends with Scotty, although he may deny it)

BTW with all the work and details done/planned on this car, you could paint it Sepia brown and it'll look amazing.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2016, 04:34 PM) *

She sounds hideous.
Cairo94507
Hey my first 914 was actually Sepia Brown and I liked it a lot. But it's OK, I have thick skin. So feel free to mess away. beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Hey my first 914 was actually Sepia Brown and I liked it a lot. But it's OK, I have thick skin. So feel free to mess away. beerchug.gif

Sorry. I thought that everyone would get the reference to Jake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cAxRX3aDg
yerpants
I have been reading through this thread for a while now and finally caught up.

This car is going to be beautiful.

I vote gold.
colingreene
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 13 2016, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2016, 04:34 PM) *

She sounds hideous.

Well she's a guy so....
Cairo94507
BigKenSteele - Sorry, I totally missed the Jake reference. That is one funny commercial though.
sixnotfour
So What color is it going to be ....I forgot???
Cairo94507
We won't know for sure until Scotty shoots it. I have considered Gold, Green, Blue and White. As time has passed all of those have been a possibility.
jor
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 14 2016, 08:22 AM) *

We won't know for sure until Scotty shoots it. I have considered Gold, Green, Blue and White. As time has passed all of those have been a possibility.

I vote for gold; I've never seen a gold 6 before! biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
As it's the real deal, why not the as built color on the door jam tag?
Cairo94507
Yeah it would certainly be the right thing to do if I was going to just sell it. wacko.gif It left the factory gold and within 2 years was painted black - for a good reason, IMHO. My wife and I both do not care for gold on any car. Sorry, no offense to gold car lovers. deadhorse.gif

Additionally, were we not doing a complete bare metal restoration, one where we say left the trunks, etc., gold, that would have been the smart thing to do. However, as you likely all know at this point, the car came completely apart, stripped to absolutely nothing, and completely media blasted inside and out. So, the only thing remaining that says this car was gold is the COA.

I do not plan to sell this car. But if I ever had to sell it, I do not believe the "hit" for the color change would be significant as the color change is done like the factory would paint the car from scratch - knowing Scotty and his work, probably way better than the factory would or could do. So you won't be seeing gold under paint chips or scratches 20 years from now.

Also, I am not restoring this car for concours competition. It no longer has its original engine, (since about 1980) though I do have an original '71 Six engine case which is 20-something numbers off my original case. An '87 3.2 with Motronic injection is going in the car. We also converted the Six transaxle to a side-shifter to make the car more enjoyable to drive. The last significant change was the addition of the GT style oil cooler system to keep the car nice and cool. Any other changes we made were really of no significance.

So, it is safe to say, this Six will not return to gold. It is also fairly safe to say white is no longer in the running. So that leaves blue or green.......

Stay tuned Six fans and hopefully in the near future, the color will be revealed.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has followed my thread and made suggestions or comments along the way. Please keep them coming as the car still has a long ways to go and we will need the help. I will tip my hat to Pat Garvey pat.gif who really talked me off the edge of doing GT flares and such when I first started down this path. It was after much reflection regarding Pat's comments that I decided to keep the body essentially stock.
mepstein
Flares are so yesterday.

biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Mark - I love the GT flares but came to realize that so few '71 Sixes exist that I would likely be banished to Hell if I added flares to my car.

If I do another 914, it will be a 4 cylinder and have flares. Of course that would be once the wife divorces me when I float that balloon......if I have anything left. blink.gif
rhodyguy
...float that ballon. Funny. I'll remember that one. Never heard it before.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 14 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Hi Mark - I love the GT flares but came to realize that so few '71 Sixes exist that I would likely be banished to Hell if I added flares to my car.

If I do another 914, it will be a 4 cylinder and have flares. Of course that would be once the wife divorces me when I float that balloon......if I have anything left. blink.gif

My neighbor asked my wife what was in my workshop. She said she had no idea. I told her there were 3 -914's in there. She didn't even look surprised.
Cairo94507
lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Mike Bellis
I wish you would just hand Scotty your wallet so he could finish this project. WCR is only a month away...
Cairo94507
Hi Mike - Me too, but I have a few different irons in the fire all of which require cash.

Finances have not really been the problem thus far. Scotty is a well known expert when it comes to our cars and others. Therefore he stays busy and everyone wants their car done. That being said, based upon what Scotty has told me, I believe my car has finally arrived at the front of the line, so to speak, and we should be making some good progress quickly.

Though the car was initially going to be done and in my garage by last August 1st, I would love to think it might be there by this August 1st. driving.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 14 2016, 04:03 PM) *

I wish you would just hand Scotty your wallet so he could finish this project. WCR is only a month away...

I think the issue is someone needs to find Scotty 1-2 good body/paint guys to work with him in his shop. If you know one, please send them his way! A one man show takes a lot of time with all of the projects he has in progress there.
Cairo94507
Yeah, but in the past hiring people has been problematic. It is very tough to find skilled craftsmen who take the pride Scotty takes in his work. I can't believe I am going to say this....I would rather wait a tiny bit longer and know it is being done correctly than get it home (across the country) and find out there is a problem.
siverson
Are you considering non-914 colors?

Or how about other Porsche colors?

I loved my Oslo Blue 356...

-Steve
Cairo94507
Hi Steve- I would love to consider non '71 Six colors but I think that will cause the seas to part and all Hell to break loose. I like gray and I also like the early 356 blue/gray color. The 356 color would be my first choice actually as I have always loved it. But blasphemy right?
JmuRiz
If you're changing colors anyway, do whatever color you like! 356 grey colors are very nice.
rhodyguy
Well. If that's the case, Irish Green.
Cairo94507
Irish Green is an original '71 Six color.
Jake94526
Ok enough Jake bashing, LOL, I don't wear Khakis! Jake was my boy cat that passed away in 2004. He would have agreed with the no gold color too. He had excellent taste.

I too have a 2010 997.2 4S in Meteor Grey (my first Porsche) thanks to my twin brother for locating it in Los Angeles.
Cairo94507
blink.gif OK, might as well get this out of the way....we are identical twins and we each have a '10 C4S coupe in Meteor Gray/black. The only difference is mine is a 6 speed and his is a PDK.

Apparently twins have the same (excellent) taste in cars. driving.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 20 2016, 12:11 AM) *

blink.gif OK, might as well get this out of the way....we are identical twins and we each have a '10 C4S coupe in Meteor Gray/black. The only difference is mine is a 6 speed and his is a PDK.

Apparently twins have the same (excellent) taste in cars. driving.gif

Does Jake have a 914.
Cairo94507
Nope. But he likes my Six. beerchug.gif
siverson
> If you're changing colors anyway, do whatever color you like! 356 grey colors are very nice.

I agree!

-Steve
Cairo94507
Hi Steve - I do not believe I could paint it other than a '71 factory Six color. I am already outside of the box by not painting it gold - I think I at least must stay on the field.

If I do another 914 it will be that 356 color though.... in my next lifetime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.