Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
veekry9
OMG!
Scotty B!
You're a hero.
I have just read the entire post to date and am in awe of the meticulous and painstaking methods of restoration of this Six.
I am now more cognizant of the scope of the repairs I must do to my -4(8).
As I feared,the rust free 914 is mostly so but with a borescope was able to discover the wormholes at the front fender/A pillar joint,mere pinpricks,diameter of a pencil.
Nonetheless the fenders must be cut to facilitate repairs or removed entirely.
So,on with this mission to build the perfect 914.
mepstein
agree.gif there's restored and scotty b restored.
worn
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Oct 25 2014, 05:56 AM) *

OMG!
Scotty B!
You're a hero.
I have just read the entire post to date and am in awe of the meticulous and painstaking methods of restoration of this Six.
I am now more cognizant of the scope of the repairs I must do to my -4(8).
As I feared,the rust free 914 is mostly so but with a borescope was able to discover the wormholes at the front fender/A pillar joint,mere pinpricks,diameter of a pencil.
Nonetheless the fenders must be cut to facilitate repairs or removed entirely.
So,on with this mission to build the perfect 914.

If all the cars have that rust under the foam (mine did) how can we rule out the possibility that the rust was factory installed? If so the perfect concours 914 would be inspected for their presence.
76-914
Very nice work, Scoot. I especially like how you faired the bumper at the cut out. Functional and beautifully done. And Epstein, I wouldn't count on that thin metal fairing to give any crash protection unless you hit a stiff marshmallow.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 25 2014, 12:02 PM) *

Very nice work, Scoot. I especially like how you faired the bumper at the cut out. Functional and beautifully done. And Epstein, I wouldn't count on that thin metal fairing to give any crash protection unless you hit a stiff marshmallow.

It all add up. Even the spare tire is part of the system.
The fiberglass parts can take a lot of work to fit. I know of one 916 front bumper at Scottys shop that's too valuable to mount on a car.
Cairo94507
My car is not going to have a front plate. The holes in the front bumper will disappear before it gets chromed. If I pick up a ticket I will figure something out to get it taken care of.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2014, 02:31 PM) *

My car is not going to have a front plate. The holes in the front bumper will disappear before it gets chromed. If I pick up a ticket I will figure something out to get it taken care of.

No front plates needed around here
scotty b
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 25 2014, 03:52 AM) *

Why not use a GT fiberglass bumper and valance?

A : hard to chrome fiberglass

B : Because this car deserves better slap.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2014, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2014, 06:44 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Valance next week shades.gif

Exactly what I want for mine.

I had already planned on that whether you wanted it or not smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2014, 11:31 AM) *

Just keep the front plate behind your seat and when you get pulled over you can pull it out and say, "oops, I keep forgetting to put this on".
veekry9
These days,anything can be "chromed"with the latest processes.
The shiny stuff is what blows her skirt up and turns her head so I'm all for it.
The toughest part of chroming grp is the print-through,even on a heavy gelcoat.
I've found the use of polyester is most prone to develop the effect.
A v-bagged s-glass layup in epoxy is less likely to show the dimples.
scotty b
Worked on the front valance a bit. Trying something new-ish. shades.gif More later if I'm happy with the way it turns out
altitude411
m hummmm.... shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
is that my lower gt valennce?
JmuRiz
I like-a biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I like what you are doing there. That resembles the opening on Mark's GT valance- right? Sweet!
eric9144
pray.gif
Lovin it! first.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 4 2014, 05:07 AM) *

I like what you are doing there. That resembles the opening on Mark's GT valance- right? Sweet!

Yes What I am trying is to achieve a similar yet smoother ( better transitional ) piece. My attempt is to gradually blend the opening with the rest of the valance rather than have the hard lines on the fiberglass GT where the flared opening meets the sides. ( the black lines on the glass one )
altitude411
That is gonna to be super sweet Scotty.... & nice pocket pool playin avatar. lol-2.gif
MDG
Bravo, sir, bravo!

clap56.gif
Cairo94507
I think it is gong to look very nice. You know I do not want it to be obvious, and I think the direction you are headed is perfect. I can't wait to see it with a little primer on it and mounted on the car.

Then we have to think about some kind of screening or grill, possibly like the fog light grills to make it blend and protect the oil cooler from rocks and debris.
Cairo94507
So I am taking a ride to drop my deep sixes off at Harvey Weidman's this morning to have them restored. I hope they are all nice and true with no issues so he has good wheels to begin with.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Here is another look at the wheels -closer-

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 4 2014, 04:50 PM) *

I think it is gong to look very nice. You know I do not want it to be obvious, and I think the direction you are headed is perfect. I can't wait to see it with a little primer on it and mounted on the car.

Then we have to think about some kind of screening or grill, possibly like the fog light grills to make it blend and protect the oil cooler from rocks and debris.

I'm using the grill from an engine lid. But my bumpers and lower valence will be satin black.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 8 2014, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 4 2014, 04:50 PM) *

I'm using the grill from an engine lid. But my bumpers and lower valence will be satin black.

This is probably what we will end up with on Michaels car as well. We talked about a lot of ideas for venting, cooling etc, and want to keep things looking as O.E. ( although modified ) as possible, so using the engine lid grill is a natural tie in. shades.gif
Rod
Great thread, just read all 22 pages whilst watching England Beating NZ in the rugby aktion035.gif What a talented guy Scotty is. I'm sure this will be a wonderful car. I'm no jealous (much!!!) pray.gif
Mike Bellis
What's wrong with purple Fuchs? confused24.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 8 2014, 09:21 AM) *

Yeah, they'd look fantastic w/your gold paint scheme.... first.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 8 2014, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 8 2014, 09:21 AM) *

Yeah, they'd look fantastic w/your gold paint scheme.... first.gif

I'm digging the Purple drooley.gif , let's start a vote thread
Cairo94507
I dropped the wheels off with Harvey today. Got a tour of the shop and he explained the entire restoration process. I am having all 5 wheels widened 1" so I can fit a little bit wider tire on them to keep the rear hooking up a little bit better with the 3.2. I want all 5 to match. I also gave him 4 new center caps along with my 4 original center caps so I can have a couple spares and they will match the wheels as closely as possible.

Harvey is a terrific guy who enjoys what he does and it certainly shows in his finished product. I can't wait to see these wheels when they are finished.
scotty b
I blasted the oil tank and checked it over, cleaned up a previous repair, then sent it out to Pacific oil cooler for a thorough cleaning, pressure testing and refinish
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 14 2014, 10:12 AM) *

I blasted the oil tank and checked it over, cleaned up a previous repair, then sent it out to Pacific oil cooler for a thorough cleaning, pressure testing and refinish

So glass bead blasting wont remove the copper plate?
Cairo94507
Looks nice. Glad to see it is done. - will you be sealing it up so nothing gets inside of it in the interim?

scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 14 2014, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 14 2014, 10:12 AM) *

So glass bead blasting wont remove the copper plate?

a heavier blasting or harsher media would. I've got a fine glass bead in the cabinet so all it would do without more time was remove any that was already loosening.

will you be sealing it up so nothing gets inside of it in the interim?

already done
Cairo94507
I knew that but wanted to remind everyone not to let these sit unsealed. Thanks for the terrific work Scotty. smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
3.5 struts arrived and I was feeling a bit destructive soooooo. the broken nuts seem to be a regular issue I run across. Both of the new struts were broken, as was one of his originals. I have a box full of them so I'll grab one more good one, and repair these later

Fab work on the valance is done save for some clean up. some dents, warpage from welding, and I want to spend a little more time on some of the lines to sharpen them up.
JeffBowlsby
:gasp: I see front license plate mounting holes in that bumper... new_shocked.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 25 2015, 06:37 PM) *

:gasp: I see front license plate mounting holes in that bumper... :zoikes:

dry.gif There's also bondo and paint all over it too slap.gif
Cairo94507
No worries Jeff - all that will be gone. Scotty will strip that bumper and then it gets re-chromed to look like new - No holes of course.

That oil cooler opening looks very sweet Scotty.

I am so looking forward to seeing some of the parts for my car plated, powder coated and ready to be installed.

Thanks for the update pictures.
Socalandy
FYI, These are available new with fresh rubber from Porsche
Cairo94507
Hi Andy- Do you happen to have the part number handy? Thanks, Michael
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 26 2015, 12:41 PM) *

Hi Andy- Do you happen to have the part number handy? Thanks, Michael

agree.gif I never even thought to see if they were still available blink.gif
type47
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 26 2015, 12:41 PM) *

... the part number handy? ...

914 PET 402-00 #7 911.341.018.00

verify part here:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf
elmonte
hours of fun in that PET

here it is at Stoddard

http://www.stoddard.com/911-1965-75/suspen...341-018-00.html

Cheers Chris
Socalandy
124.75 ea at Pelican 911-341-018-00-OEM

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...K_pg1.htm#item2
Cairo94507
Thanks Andy, Chris & Type47; I appreciate the info. Michael
CptTripps
I think I only paid $250 for a pair of billet ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-914-93...153&vxp=mtr

Not stock....but awesome.
scotty b
alittle something that has been in the works on and off for a few weeks now. My bead roller isn't deep enough to get to where I needed the beads so I've been trying to coordinate with a good friend in northern Va to come up and use his roller. Between the weather and each of us getting sick at different times it's taken a while, but today was the day. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I only had the cell to take pics with.

I still have some final fitting to do, and finish bending the flanges, when I am back at the car and I'll get better pics then. But for now here's some teasers. Gotta practice my Al welding before I go much further too. Been about 8 years since I've done any Al unsure.gif
Socalandy
Awesome work as usual aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Way cool!!! smilie_pokal.gif I have been looking forward to seeing progress on this oil cooler project. Now as soon as we get the GT hard lines, courtesy of Eric at PMB Performance, we can mock-up the whole oil cooler system fitment and then move into some final prep for painting the tub w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.