Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
scotty b
front trunk and one of the headlight buckets. Crappy weld never even got a good grip before it broke loose dry.gif But that's o.k. A gob of seam sealer will hold it together slap.gif

I also stripped most of the seam sealer out of the pass compartment, but fortunately found nothing under it to post. IMHO most of the rust issues here are a result of a 75% repair some time ago. the fit was good looking from the outside, but underneath the seam sealer we see there was a lack of REAL attention put into making things the way they were originally. Couple that with a lack of proper primer, and some half ass seam sealer, and you get uglies dry.gif
scotty b
That is all. I'm going to try and get some etch primer on it tomorrow night or saturday morning so it doesn't start flash rusting on me. Then on to the cutting sawzall-smiley.gif
Cairo94507
Scotty: I noticed in a lot of the pictures the metal looks like it was sand blasted. I know you did not use sand so is it just the pictures? Is the metal smooth or is it pitted all over and porous?

Some of those pictures were pretty hard to look at. unsure.gif I am hoping it is like when you see yourself on TV as we all know the camera adds 10 pounds to you. In some cases there may be 5 or 6 cameras on someone.....

However I am real pleased with what the car is from a starting point. I look forward to seeing lots of cutting, welding and grinding as the rusty metal is replaced with nice fresh metal.

Thanks for the pictures Scotty. I hope everyone is enjoying the detailed progress shots as it moves along towards its re-birth.

I see some threads where people mention they stripped their car to bare metal but amazingly you see the car old and rusty and then the next photos are all in primer - leaving out a crucial piece of the process as far as documentation goes. I am glad to see Scotty is documenting this build so well.

OK and on to the sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
balljoint
Looks like a good start.

I can't wait to see the car finished and painted.

In its original gold.

smile.gif
scotty b
It's just the close up making it look rough Michael. It's no where near as bad as it looks. All in all it is a really solid car, just some previous repair work that needs to be redone. I'm not saying it was crap work, but it was most likely late 70's / early 80's collision shop work. ALMOST right but not quite there.

Call me tomorrow around noon to discuss smile.gif

Cairo94507
I decided the car will be Gold
Cairo94507
OK changed my mind. That was a moment of pure insanity screwy.gif screwy.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:59 PM) *

huh.gif

You know, with the car down to the metal like that Scotty could gold leaf the whole thing.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 14 2013, 04:59 PM) *

Just have it gold plated, then paint it white.

We will call you GOLD FINGER... biggrin.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:59 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

It will be beautiful.
Ferg
Sell it to me now I will make it Gold! biggrin.gif poke.gif w00t.gif
sixnotfour
Don't forget the interior;
914Sixer
Clean car by current standards. I noticed the late nose replacement does not have the holes cut out.
bigkensteele
(Over Gold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2xjCH9cTI
sixnotfour
OG = over gold OG= original german
screwy.gif headbang.gif chair.gif happy11.gif hissyfit.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif

Michael, great thread, The front panel, while Scotty's cutting and welding, Are you going to either replace the late panel or cut and weld in the section to make it look like the OG panel. Get rid of the late bumper shock section ?
scotty b
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 15 2013, 01:27 AM) *

screwy.gif headbang.gif chair.gif happy11.gif hissyfit.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif

Michael, great thread, The front panel, while Scotty's cutting and welding, Are you going to either replace the late panel or cut and weld in the section to make it look like the OG panel. Get rid of the late bumper shock section ?

the holes will not be cut out. This was discussed a while back. They serve no purpose at this point other than providing another place for water to infiltrate
Zimms
Scotty,

Did you rent that blaster and were you using soda?
scotty b
QUOTE(Zimms @ Feb 15 2013, 04:42 AM) *

Scotty,

Did you rent that blaster and were you using soda?

I bought it. It uses a mix of sand and water. The water keeps everything cool so it wil not warp the panels. Believe me it won't, I have tried. shades.gif There is an addtive in the mix that prevents flash rusting for several days
OU8AVW
I agree, the documentation is value added all around. Value for the sheer value of the car, value for the owner (and the rest of us) who get to watch it all happen and value for Scotty as he can not only show his excellent work to future clients but justify the expense at the end of the job. biggrin.gif

Cairo94507
This was manifest destiny (for me) as far as I am concerned.
Cairo94507
OK, so after consulting with Scotty, it looks like he will be replacing the rear trunk pan due to the poorly patched together job done in the past. He will also be removing the front fenders and front panel to correct the repairs that appear to have been done a few decades ago. I want to make sure this chassis is 100% solid to begin with. Stay tuned....
JmuRiz
smart move...might as well while you're in there right?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 15 2013, 04:42 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 15 2013, 01:27 AM) *

the holes will not be cut out. This was discussed a while back. They serve no purpose at this point other than providing another place for water to infiltrate

No problem with the holes, It is this area that makes it a 70-72, as long as Scotty's cutting and welding...Trust me when you open the hood and see those giant protusions in the trunk , You will ask yourself "Why didn't we correct that ?"
green arrow common point, 3rd is the reverse boob
Cairo94507
Sixnotfour - I see what you mean now. I am looking into this - thanks. Michael
scotty b
Etched primed where it counts. smile.gif
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Thanks for the new pictures. Chassis stiffening kit coming next!
scotty b
We need a new 70-71 front panel. If anyone has one, please PM Michael or I smile.gif
scotty b
unsure.gif
billh1963
Amazing progress. It's also amazing just how much rust hides on these cars....glad you are derusting it now!
sixnotfour
Looks like the right {passenger) side headlight bucket maybe a later one.
shorter in depth.. Great Progress
mepstein
Surprised or expected?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 17 2013, 11:04 AM) *

Surprised or expected?

Expected. dry.gif The half assed collision repair ( new fenders and front panel ) were a good sign there was more to come. The original flange that was left in there is now gone so I can get it back to 2 layers at the pinch weld as it should be. The bitch is, the seam welds they put on the top edge had to be ground down to get everything loose, so now I am going to have to make up new edges to get everything proper again, otherwise the channel for the seal will be very short and won't give the seal anything solid to support it.
Cairo94507
I am quite pleased with the progress and work Scotty is doing. This is going to be one clean, rust-free Six. I am real excited to see stuff going onto the chassis (stiffening kit) and bad work being removed to be repaired correctly.

I am really looking forward to seeing the front end installed correctly as well as the rear trunk floor.

I know I am screwy.gif but I love this little car.
Cairo94507
Garold Schaffer suggested I contact Brad Mayeur at 914 Limited in Illinois and it turns out he may have a clean front panel with very minor damage to the outboard driver's side off one of his cars. I am hoping to have pictures of it early this week so we will know if it will work or if we need to continue the hunt.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 17 2013, 04:08 PM) *

I know I am screwy.gif but I love this little car.

We all have the sickness blink.gif Amazing work and it's gonna be Awesome!!!
Cairo94507
Socalandy: Scotty is definitely doing a great job. My hope is it ends up as nice as your car will definitely be.

I appreciate all of the advise and suggestions from other screwy.gif people who love these cars too. I definitely do not want to have something done and then come to regret it later. A great example was the front panel. As soon as I found out from sixnotfour the old panel had the intrusions into the trunk and was therefore not model year correct, it had to go.

Had we carried on using the old panel and 6 months down the road learned the difference that would have been costly and disappointing.
scotty b
There's no more junk in Michaels trunk biggrin.gif Still have a bit of finishing work to do ( including stamping the correct numbers ) but all the big worlk is done
JmuRiz
Looking good!
Practice for the crappy collision repair you noticed on my car.
Cairo94507
YAY!!!! Nice to see that new panel in place. Please note that Scotty reinstalled the access holes as came stock. smile.gif Nice work Scotty!
sixnotfour
I have the front halves of the L@R inner outer rockers if you need them.
nos repo ??
Cairo94507
Yup. I need those and I think Scotty is talking with you.
Thanks very much for offering 'em up. Michael
Cairo94507
Chasing down a very nice set of front fenders......keep your fingers crossed.
Socalandy
did you find a front nose section or will this work. From a 70 -4 dead and parted out
Socalandy
yes it was sawzall-smiley.gif up but it's solid
sixnotfour
Its a replacement panel like what was on his -6..
Cairo94507
I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me but I found a panel at 914 LTD and Brad shipped it out this morning to Scotty.

Now I really need a pair of NOS front fenders......
Cairo94507
Looking for opinions.... idea.gif Scott and I were talking today and he asked me if I had plans for an oil cooler for my car. I told him I really did not want to have an in-trunk cooler like the GT cars have. I am leaning towards a 911 style trombone cooler in one of the front fenders with the GT (PMB) oil line kits (they look so very nice) to get the oil up there.

But to be honest, I really do not know if that would do the job or not. Please recall I have an '89 stock 3.2 going in the car and the car will not be tracked/auto crossed. It will be street driven.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay to be more specific, and in the summer, 100 degrees is not uncommon. So if you have an (knowledgable confused24.gif) opinion, please chime in so I hopefully make the correct choice.

I really do not want to cut the body up to accommodate a cooler. Especially after we sourced a correct front panel for the car - thank you Brad at 9-1-4 LTD smile.gif
Cairo94507
OK so who is the A-hole that messed with the site somehow so that when we type 9-1-4 it changes it to X19?
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2013, 03:42 PM) *

Looking for opinions.... idea.gif Scott and I were talking today and he asked me if I had plans for an oil cooler for my car. I told him I really did not want to have an in-trunk cooler like the GT cars have. I am leaning towards a 911 style trombone cooler in one of the front fenders with the GT (PMB) oil line kits (they look so very nice) to get the oil up there.

But to be honest, I really do not know if that would do the job or not. Please recall I have an '89 stock 3.2 going in the car and the car will not be tracked/auto crossed. It will be street driven.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay to be more specific, and in the summer, 100 degrees is not uncommon. So if you have an (knowledgable confused24.gif) opinion, please chime in so I hopefully make the correct choice.

I really do not want to cut the body up to accommodate a cooler. Especially after we sourced a correct front panel for the car - thank you Brad at 9-1-4 LTD smile.gif

Joe at Series 9 did some under body coolers on madswedes car. He lives in AZ so I imagine its a pretty good setup.
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark - I will shoot him an email. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.