Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 3 2015, 04:13 AM) *

So I was able to source a beautiful Blaupunkt Frankfurt (thanks very much T.C.) and an NOS dash plate (thanks again Jeff) for my car. Had the radio restored at German Car Radio Repair in North Hollywood, CA (thank you Herman) and also bought the cable to stream from my iPhone, should I feel the need. This is exactly the radio I wanted in my car and I am very pleased to have it.
Click to view attachment

What aux cable did you use? I need one for my old radio too.

BTW the radio and gauges are clues to how nice this car will be when complete.
Cairo94507
Hi Jeff- The other 914 gauges I have show it "oil" so that is what I went with. Now if we were in Germany.......and it was the 5th Wednesday of the month......
Cairo94507
Nathan - Thanks for the compliment. Here is the link to the radio repair shop that did the work. I think the cord to stream from my iPhone was about $70 or so. The radio went straight to Scotty so I can't even go look at it and tell you who made the cord. https://plus.google.com/1093800453918053714...gl=us&hl=en
stevegm
What was the final decision on the color (not to restart that debate)? I thought about this thread today. I finally got a chance to get under a '71 I bought a while back (pretty rough; almost a parts car). I thought it was Bahia red, but it was a repaint. It appears to actually have been gold metallic originally. Very cool color.
mepstein
I'll tell you for a $100. LOL
Cairo94507
dead horse.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 17 2015, 07:43 PM) *

dead horse.gif

Sorry. I just couldn't find what you decided in the thread. You should paint it whatever color you like. It has been a long road and it is a great build. Enjoy it.
Cairo94507
So here is my steering wheel via Dallas Customs. Great service and quick turn-around time. Double wrapped the rim and single=wrapped the spokes. Thankfully, Mark (mepstein) reminded me about not double wrapping the spokes - thanks for looking out for me bud.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Dang.... that's a nice wheel. How much to get that done?
mepstein
horn pad or hockey puck?
Cairo94507
Hey Rob - it was a bit steep, $449. But in my defense, your hands are on it overtime you get in the car and I really like their work smilie_pokal.gif .

Mark - horn pad unless I hit the lottery and can afford a puck sometime in the future. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 22 2015, 09:23 AM) *

Hey Rob - it was a bit steep, $449. But in my defense, your hands are on it overtime you get in the car and I really like their work smilie_pokal.gif .

Mark - horn pad unless I hit the lottery and can afford a puck sometime in the future. confused24.gif

Its not that much if you've ever picked up a needle and thread and tried to do it yourself. Well, actually 2 needles and thread at the same time. Dallas does great work and like cairo said, you look at and touch the wheel 99% of the time while your in the car.
Cairo94507
Scotty is going to be getting back on this project next week and we should see some serious progress. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
Quick update - Tweet (Dan) got my locks all disassembled, cleaned up and ready to go off to the chromer for some triple chroming. biggrin.gif bye1.gif
scotty b
easing back into Michaels car as things start to smooth out. I have a 911 and BMW just about ready for paint and once they are done, Michael and Marks 914's are the main focus for me smile.gif

The only real damage was the minor butt dent in the rear trunk, and a small spot on the underside of the hood
stevegm
Looks great. That car is going to be amazing.
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 21 2015, 06:15 PM) *

easing back into Michaels car as things start to smooth out. I have a 911 and BMW just about ready for paint and once they are done, Michael and Marks 914's are the main focus for me smile.gif

My 911 or someone else's? confused24.gif
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Great pictures.

Nice to get some good body news for a change. We went through a bit of rust and damaged panel issues on my car. Glad that appears to be all behind us now.

I look forward to seeing my chassis all in primer. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting up the new pictures Scotty. aktion035.gif
LeftCoastErik
Looking good!! Its really coming along
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 21 2015, 03:24 PM) *

73 S

Check Pel E can poke.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 21 2015, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 21 2015, 03:24 PM) *

73 S

Check Pel E can poke.gif

Glad that one is moving along!
Cairo94507
Scotty - Please post up the link on the Pelican car. I could not find it. Then again, I am terrible at searches - go figure.....

I really enjoy seeing these cars getting their color. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2015, 09:32 AM) *

Scotty - Please post up the link on the Pelican car. I could not find it. Then again, I am terrible at searches - go figure.....

I really enjoy seeing these cars getting their color. biggrin.gif

Just search under member name Scotty b - posts in the last month, in the advanced search field

you can do the same in earlysreg to see his other builds
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark. I found the 3 page thread that concludes with the welding of a lot of nice new metal. But the car is no where near paint. Is there another thread I am missing? I was expecting to see it all primed, blocked and ready for color. confused24.gif
billh1963
Scott was referring to my car ('72 T) in that thread.

The 911 he is ready to paint is a rare '73 911S. Don't know where those pictures are...maybe early S registry?
Cairo94507
OK I will give the S Registry a peak. Thanks Bill
JmuRiz
Great work, as always Scotty.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2015, 04:15 PM) *

OK I will give the S Registry a peak. Thanks Bill

the thread on the S hasn't been updated in a while. It has been a long process of blocking re-priming etc so not much picture wise. I'm down to fitting panels with gaskets installed, getting gaps right, fitting lights with gaskets, bumpers, sand and paint dash, touch up the trunk where some sand blew out of a crevice when it got painted, in preparation to do a final wet sanding and paint in the next 2 weeks ( hopefully ) Basically a LOT of monotonous crap going on with it right now
altitude411
w00t.gif Is it turning gold yet? popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
I believe we could be getting close.....
gtgroupe4
New to the Forum (at least posting on 914W).

Still taking solicitations on the color choice, by chance?

I'd like to offer a compromise on the Gold Metallica, which BTW would look great with matching BBS E50's.

Maybe a nice 1970 Green Metallic (L97P). Since you noted Irish Green, adding a bit of metal flake wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Cairo94507
Welcome and the metallic green is a terrific color. And would be one of the top color choices for sure. I love Adriatic Blue and had my Six come that color there would be no questions about color.
gtgroupe4
When I find a way to end my originality fetish.

My next ride will be Lilac.
scotty b
I'm still dealing with the backlog, and some issues my former employee left so it's been an hour here and there on Michaels until these other issues are sorted. Engine tin is all repaired and modded and waiting on the powder coater, heater boxes were a PITA. The metal used for the shell was thin to begin with, and being rusted on the inside, it kept blowing through as I was welding. headbang.gif
scotty b
smile.gif
scotty b
smile.gif
scotty b
We got some chrome back smile.gif
JmuRiz
Impressive!
scotty b
I'm missing a few pics, they may be on my shop camera. Nothing major, just the finished work on the engine tin and the underside of the trunk finished up. If I find them I'll add them.
rick 918-S
Nice work on those H.E.'s! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif first.gif
Cairo94507
Terrific job on the heat exchangers - they look great! smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks for posting some pictures it keeps me going.
Mike Bellis
Why save those rusty headers? confused24.gif

Isn't there a better option?
scotty b
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 18 2016, 07:49 PM) *

Not really. It's this, or stock sized tubing ones for 3000.00 + until someone makes O.E. style with oversized tubing for larger engines. We're just saving these to use until that happens
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2016, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 18 2016, 07:49 PM) *

Not really. It's this, or stock sized tubing ones for 3000.00 + until someone makes O.E. style with oversized tubing for larger engines. We're just saving these to use until that happens

I saw them in person and I sure wouldn't mind owning them once Scotty got done with them. All the rust repair on these cars sort of looks like crap until it doesn't. Then it looks nice again.
Cairo94507
Hi Mike- If I could order a set of new heat exchangers with bigger tubes for the 3.2 I would. Until tat is an option I saw no reason to drop $3K+ on the exact same thing I already have, albeit brand new. Scotty will make these look great, no leaks and then they get ceramic coated -hopefully.

tygaboy
What an awesome build! Cairo, I'm in Petaluma and gotta meet you at some point.
Scotty - u da man, man! aktion035.gif
Biggles
Hi,

I just asked Per at Stoddards this only yesterday and he advised that 'We are considering the larger ones, but need to sell through the smaller ones first.' Make of that what you will. I live in the UK so have no option but to have heat exchangers ! Might buy a OEM set and convert with 1 5/8" pipes which seems the way to go for a 3.2 engine.

good luck with the build !

Chris.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Hi Mike- If I could order a set of new heat exchangers with bigger tubes for the 3.2 I would. Until tat is an option I saw no reason to drop $3K+ on the exact same thing I already have, albeit brand new. Scotty will make these look great, no leaks and then they get ceramic coated -hopefully.

Cairo94507
Yeah, I spoke with Stoddards too when they first announced the NOS heat exchangers and they told me the same thing. What I took from that was in a couple years they might make some bigger tube heat exchangers.

It is my hope that my car will have long since been in my garage with me going for weekly drives. driving.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Tygaboy - Thanks so much. It is my sincere hope that Scotty documenting this build to this level will allow others to fully appreciate the issues these cars can present when you start to work on them.

Keep in mind, aside from a dragging brake caliper in the r/f, I drove this car when I bough it and it looked pretty decent.

It seems we get a few of these projects which stall and are abandoned when the real depth of the work required rears its ugly head. I just want people to go into these cars/projects with their eyes wide open so their expectations are realistic.

I love my Six and will keep it until I can no longer drive. Then, if my son is a responsible car person, he can have it. If he is not interested, I would make sure it went to a true Six lover so others can appreciate these beauties for decades to come.
scotty b
I can't begin to count how many times I have had people tell me

" you'll love doing this car, it doesn't have any rust"

I have YET to get into one of them and not find any issues. The 356-C coupe I did a couple years ago was the biggest surprise as it truly did not have ANY rust. Other than that, I have taken in cars that were running driving mid west cars with no signs of rust, garage kept east coast cars, 2 California cars only to start stripping them and find holes filled with bondo, fiberglass, or in the case of Michaels car, severe accident damage. One 911 we did a couple years ago had all of this,and the chassis was twisted, and this guy was the 3rd owner....his brother was the second. He was one of the ones that told me the car was a gem, just needed a little work on one rear 1/4 that had been hit previously. I have had several that had been wrecked early on in life and repaired at the standards of that day. ( Michales and Marks cars both were ) Now, multiply that one cars issues by 5-6 cars and you end up with one hell of a headache to deal with.

I make sure I post some of the worst stuff I run across just for the very reason Cairo mentioned. I know people get into this kind of restoration with big eyes and big hearts until the reality hits, because they rarely see the true ugliness that CAN lie beneath the paint. It's near impossible to tell a lot of the time exactly what condition a car is in until it has been stripped. I have been fooled by several customers cars, and have also made 2 bad purchases of my own based on buying on emotion, and not digging deep before handing over the $$$. There are at least 3 members here that have shown up with what they thought were solid cars, and right in front of them I tore out fiberglass that was covering holes, bondo'd and painted. Roofing tar over shitty longs with paint on top of it. The '1987 911 that had a piece of spring steel welded between the 2 A arms to keep the front end " in place " that when I unbolted it, it literally fell out of the car, leaving one of the mounts dangling by a chunk of RTV ( I have pics of that, and the piece of RTV covered floor pan hanging on the wall in the shop.) That guy had been told by another shop he just needed a front end alignment !

If I had taken pics of everyone of the "patches" I've run across, it would make a pretty intertaining book.

I have a 911 in right now that was owned by a Porsche tech, and then another Porsche fan. None of us were aware of the shit that was under the car. We knew the front pan had issues, but had no idea until he undercoating was stripped off that the whole front end was shot. Wrecked, pulled back out, rusted, patched, bondo'd, painted and undercoated.

I even had a 4 year old Toyota pickup come in several years ago from a dealer we did work for that had the frame almost rusted in two. It had gone through an auction house in Pa. The buyer put the car on his lift to change oil and a chunk of bondo came of the frame. Turned out I scraped the under coating off, popped the bondo off, pulled the duct tape off and found the frame so rusted it was flexing I told the dealer to send a rollback, I was NOT going to drive it back

I hope my posts don't discourage anyone from taking a big job, but what I do hope, is that they make people take a better look at their potential project. ALWAYS remember a 300.00 PPI by someone with the knowledge can save you 10's of thousands down the road

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.