Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JmuRiz
Very nice!!! Much better than an f'glass reproduction!

If my under the rear trunk cooler with fans does not suffice on my engine, I'll go front trunk and want one of these also!
Sweeeeeet...love it!
rgalla9146

Now that you'e done one the second will be easy.
When can I pick it up ?
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 4 2015, 12:21 PM) *

Now that you'e done one the second will be easy.
When can I pick it up ?

Wait in line buddy smile.gif we all.know cairo's car is just practice for mine. biggrin.gif
76-914
I wub.gif this kind of stromberg.gif . I would like to see the equipment in action. Does the metal shrink/pull proportionally with the depth of the channel? popcorn[1].gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 3 2015, 09:06 PM) *

alittle something that has been in the works on and off for a few weeks now. My bead roller isn't deep enough to get to where I needed the beads so I've been trying to coordinate with a good friend in northern Va to come up and use his roller. Between the weather and each of us getting sick at different times it's taken a while, but today was the day. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I only had the cell to take pics with.

I still have some final fitting to do, and finish bending the flanges, when I am back at the car and I'll get better pics then. But for now here's some teasers. Gotta practice my Al welding before I go much further too. Been about 8 years since I've done any Al unsure.gif

Well aren't you a fancy pants.
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Nice work, suh, very nice work.
Cairo94507
It's is not going to get painted- it will end up with a brushed aluminum finish I want to be able to see the welds and have the contrast when you open the hood of the aluminum vs. the gold...errr final color stirthepot.gif .
altitude411
Click to view attachment
balljoint
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 4 2015, 06:55 PM) *

It's is not going to get painted- it will end up with a brushed aluminum finish I want to be able to see the welds and have the contrast when you open the hood of the aluminum vs. the gold...errr final color stirthepot.gif .

thumb3d.gif
mepstein
Mine will be red - of course. Maybe.
rgalla9146

What oil cooler is going under that duct ?
mepstein
I'm doing something like this with fans. I'm not sure Cairo will need as much oil cooling as me since he is using an on engine oil cooler. Mine will only be cooled from the front and a block off plate used on the engine.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 05:31 PM) *

Mine will be red - of course. Maybe.

black wink.gif

Does the metal shrink/pull proportionally with the depth of the channel?

the bead roller more or less pinches the sheet and stretches it into shape. Thus thinning it ever so slightly. The external dimensions change little if at all. It is best to cut everything a bit over size, then trim to fit once the beads and bends are done
Socalandy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 06:28 PM) *

I'm doing something like this with fans. I'm not sure Cairo will need as much oil cooling as me since he is using an on engine oil cooler. Mine will only be cooled from the front and a block off plate used on the engine.

Same cooler I went with and its perfect!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 4 2015, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Same cooler I went with and its perfect!!!

Can you squeeze a fan(s) in the shroud?
Socalandy
I'm sure you can but I've driving in 100+ temps and the needle is rock solid at 180
mepstein
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 5 2015, 12:04 AM) *

I'm sure you can but I've driving in 100+ temps and the needle is rock solid at 180

I don't have an on engine cooler so i have to make sure the front cooler will cool. It's not the driving that concerns me, its the stop and go/traffic jams that are my concern.
Socalandy
Here's a picture for you. I think you have room in front or in back of the cooler with the right size fan
mepstein
Thanks
rgalla9146
I'm going with a copy of an original cooler. All metric plumbing front to back with a 911 thermostat under the engine shelf on the drivers side.
I also want to copy the metal cooler shroud like Scotty is doing.
Anyone willing to loan a fiberglass cover that I can use as a guide ?
Sorry for the hijack.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 5 2015, 07:46 AM) *

I'm going with a copy of an original cooler. All metric plumbing front to back with a 911 thermostat under the engine shelf on the drivers side.
I also want to copy the metal cooler shroud like Scotty is doing.
Anyone willing to loan a fiberglass cover that I can use as a guide ?
Sorry for the hijack.

I'm pretty sure scotty is using my fiberglass shroud as a template. If so, your welcome to use it when he's finished. Hershey? Or maybe he will make a larger run of them if demand is there and a price could be worked out?
scotty b
went to a friends shop last week before I headed south and punched some louvers. One for Michael, one for Mark smile.gif
MDG
Cool!. Thanks, Scott! Jeez, I didn't even ask for this. Can you paint mine in off-Irish Green?
thumb3d.gif
Thanks again,
Michael.

Cairo94507
Loving that! Can't wait to see that panel welded in and the cooler system completely mocked up. Thanks for the picture.
scotty b
Bent some brackets, cut some holes, laid some pipe blink.gif and cut a really big hole unsure.gif
scotty b
Tore down the engine and delivered to the builder
bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 1 2015, 02:58 PM) *

Tore down the engine and delivered to the builder

Scotty, who is the builder, and are those wheels in the second photo 911 spare rims? If so, what width? Look like they could be "7s, which I didn't know they made.
scotty b
The wheels are Mercedes.

I'm not sure if the builder wants his info out there. He's an older guy that is retired now and still does occasional side work
Cairo94507
Wow! That is a big freakin' hole you cut in my trunk. lol-2.gif

Anyway, what has got to be has got to be. Can't wait to see the new panel welded in the floor and the reminder of the oil cooler fab-work done. I know for sure where the oil lines turn into the trunk Scotty will make a nice piece to cover and protect them. (BTW, thank you Jeff for the beautiful lines)

The engine is coming along nicely. I expect that to be back with Scotty by the end of the month. Doing a complete rebuild, all new bearings, rings, replacing the pistons and cylinders (staying 3.2) using the 964 cams and the heads are getting new guides, valves, etc. I expect the engine will be perfect. I really like the guy doing the work - he has over 30 years building Porsche engines and definitely knows his stuff (Thanks Scotty for the hook-up).
Mike Bellis
This car is going to be so nice, Michael will never drive it...
Cairo94507
No no no! I am seriously planning to drive this as my around town car. I want to enjoy it and cruise it around.
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2015, 07:57 PM) *

The engine is coming along nicely. I expect that to be back with Scotty by the end of the month. Doing a complete rebuild, all new bearings, rings, replacing the pistons and cylinders (staying 3.2) using the 964 cams and the heads are getting new guides, valves, etc. I expect the engine will be perfect. I really like the guy doing the work - he has over 30 years building Porsche engines and definitely knows his stuff (Thanks Scotty for the hook-up).

You really think the engine will get done in a month? I would think that getting the machine work done would take that long. It will be awesome of it happens that fast! piratenanner.gif
bulitt
Are you/do you need to use rubber isolators on the cooler mounts?

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 16 2015, 02:48 PM) *

went to a friends shop last week before I headed south and punched some louvers. One for Michael, one for Mark smile.gif

I like it. 33% more louvers than the pms parts.
Cairo94507
Yes. I am sure Scotty plans to use rubber isolators on the mounts. Thanks for mentioning that though.
Cairo94507
Bill- the engine parts are already at the machine shop. My understanding is we will have them back fairly soon. bye1.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2015, 09:12 AM) *

Bill- the engine parts are already at the machine shop. My understanding is we will have them back fairly soon. bye1.gif

Excellent! That is fast. I just assumed (from reading other people's engine rebuild experiences) that it would take a month to get the parts back from the machine shop. A 3.2L in that car should be awesome!
Cairo94507
You know I was expecting the engine to take a few months too. However this builder has a machine shop he uses regularly and they apparently jump on his work ASAP. As soon as the heads arrived they jumped on them. I can't wait to get the report re the crank and rods, etc. The builder said they looked perfect but were still going to get inspected, polished, etc. I really am looking forward to seeing the engine assembled and ready to install.
I think this build is going to really come together now.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2015, 10:34 AM) *

You know I was expecting the engine to take a few months too. However this builder has a machine shop he uses regularly and they apparently jump on his work ASAP. As soon as the heads arrived they jumped on them. I can't wait to get the report re the crank and rods, etc. The builder said they looked perfect but were still going to get inspected, polished, etc. I really am looking forward to seeing the engine assembled and ready to install.
I think this build is going to really come together now.

Engine builder, mr. x, often drives up here to test his engines on his friends engine stand so maybe I'll see it run before you. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I'm totally fine with that. I would love for them to bench run it before it goes into he car.
bigkensteele
Can anyone at least reveal where mr. x has his machine work done? I am not looking for a builder, just a competent east coast machine shop.
Cairo94507
Once I get the invoice I will let you know who did the machine work. Remind me if I forget....
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2015, 04:09 PM) *

Once I get the invoice I will let you know who did the machine work. Remind me if I forget....

Thanks!
Cairo94507
Just a few engine pics - nothing to see here really. Oh, these 911 headers might be available if someone is interested.....

Engine
Click to view attachment

Crank
Click to view attachment

Heads as they begin work
Click to view attachment
scotty b
umm we already made a deal on those headers poke.gif
Cairo94507
OOOPPPS. Forget it guys, the headers belong to Scotty. My bad! wacko.gif At what point is it fair to claim old age?
balljoint
Scotty can claim old age.

He is really really old.

Kinda sad how old he is.

Are you sure he's 'memberin' right?
balljoint
Oh, and Eric says he is fat.
balljoint
To be clear, Eric Shea said that scotty b is fat.
Cairo94507
All of the machine work is completed - the heads are all assembled. All of the parts have arrived and this weekend the engine assembly will begin:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.