Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 6 2014, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 6 2014, 05:24 PM) *

Whoops, forgot my 2-cents on the color...I love Irish green on a 914. Scotty's last Irish green car won an award this past weekend too.

agree.gif TOTALLY needs to go Irish now Michael.

Oh and Nathan. Ahem.... 2 awards thank you rolleyes.gif

first in class (356 ) and first overall ( Porsche ) biggrin.gif

at least half of that win was the owners work though smile.gif

bulitt
That's an awesome color!!! Oh yeah, I'm Irish... shades.gif clover.gif clover.gif clover.gif clover.gif clover.gif

I keep sending Scooty stuff to paint green and it comes back Orange? confused24.gif

hide.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone. The oil coolers were VW small oil coolers and one was mounted behind each fog light grill. All stainless steel hoses and AN connections. Turbo thermostat mounted on passenger side firewall. Kept the car nice and cool- never overheated. That system may have not been in at the time of these pictures as I can see the actual fog lights still installed in the car.

The 3.0 with CIS ran perfect and never skipped a beat. We had to shave the ribs on the air-boot down a bit and we removed the engine lid cross brace and stiffened it up and moved the latch. It worked perfectly and still utilized the stock cable and latch.

Irish Green is a beautiful color- no doubt.
balljoint
Gold is also beautiful. thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
beer.gif
scotty b
looking like a car again smile.gif
scotty b
It doesn't show well in the pics, but the pass rear 1/4 is the last major metal obstacle. It's pretty mangled up from it's prior damage, and has some lousy repairs around the taillight opening. Most likely I'll be replacing the whole panel with another from a parts car. Unless someone has a NOS one laying around getting in the way poke.gif That will be dealt with in a couple weeks smile.gif
mepstein
Happy to see the front panel is correct for the car.
Cairo94507
Well it is 2:00 AM and I am getting ready to leave to catch a flight to Virginia to meet Scotty and see my car after 2 years. I am looking forward to meeting and talking with Scotty and seeing all he has done. We will also be talking about the next hurdle, after the rear quarter, which will be the oil cooler system and how it is going to look. I am sure there will be some pictures.
mepstein
Have a great trip.
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark. Looking forward to checking out your car too. Scotty picked me up at the airport and we got a chance to talk over some chowtime.gif Arby's....one of my favorite fast-food places which happened to next door to Marriott. He will stop and grab me on his way to the shop in the AM so we can grab coffee and then I can go see my Six. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Larmo63
The good news: Your car is all done!

The bad news: Scotty painted it Gold!
carr914
Arby's Horsey Sauce puts serious Orange Peel into Paint - just sayin...
scotty b
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 31 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Arby's Horsey Sauce puts serious Orange Peel into Paint - just sayin...

It's all good. I Prefer Arby's sauce. Sweet, spicy and smoooooth shades.gif
Cairo94507
So here ya go, after 2 years I get to see my car again and check out all of the work Scotty has done. Car is looking real nice. One last hurdle, the passenger side rear quarter needs to go. So we need to find a NOS quarter....anyone have one hanging on a wall collecting dust?

Scotty and I sat down and went over the entire build, front to rear and know what direction we are heading. I hope to have the car back in my garage in August of 2015.

Oh, as you all know Scotty has an aversion to being photographed (duh) and apparently a fondness for monkeys. I still don't get the monkey thing, something about just like little humans or something.Click to view attachment
mepstein
So what about the early car Rick is using for his 6. He's pulling the front fenders, how is the rear. Obviously isn't nos but that will be a real long shot. And rick will be able to remove it properly. Just a thought.
Mike Bellis
JRust has both right & left NOS quarters. I bet he will sell.
balljoint
Check with peteyd. He had a NOS quarter for sale some time ago. Not sure which one but it's a one in four shot.
Cairo94507
Well I posted a WTB and sent a few PM's - thanks for the tips guys. smile.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 31 2014, 09:04 PM) *

The good news: Your car is all done!

The bad news: Scotty painted it Gold!

thumb3d.gif I saw it in Scotty's booth last week. Not sure who's car that is on the dolly in the pic above confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Wow! That looks surprisingly nice. Gold hhhhmm idea.gif
Cairo94507
OH - and for anyone getting any ideas, Scotty has a most excellent watch doggie, Kudzu who prefers to go by "Zu". This dog is on the job, protecting my car 24/7.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
So far we are striking out on the NOS pass. rear quarter. There are at least 2 NOS driver's quarters available but nothing for the passenger side so far. The search continues.....
peteyd
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2014, 05:03 AM) *

So far we are striking out on the NOS pass. rear quarter. There are at least 2 NOS driver's quarters available but nothing for the passenger side so far. The search continues.....

Its hard to tell theres any damage on that pass quarter from your picture. I trust you and scotty when you say there is, but its just hard to see. Is it dented all over or is it real thin in some spots?

Pete
scotty b
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 4 2014, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2014, 05:03 AM) *

Its hard to tell theres any damage on that pass quarter from your picture. I trust you and scotty when you say there is, but its just hard to see. Is it dented all over or is it real thin in some spots?

Pete

It's hard to get it in picture, but that 1/4 has been beat all over, and there is some major hack work that has been done around the taillight opening. If it were only the external damage I would repair it, but in order to do a proper fix on the light opening the back half would need to come off anyway, so with the that, the front being out of whack, and all of the bangs it makes the most sense to replace.

Cairo94507
Absolutely. Believe me the tail light opening is really not pretty. No point in trying to cut and patch that quarter when it is an all around better solution to replace the entire quarter. Now we just need a reply nice clean quarter and Scotty will sawzall-smiley.gif the old one off and welder.gif the new one and we will be aktion035.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 3 2014, 08:33 AM) *

OH - and for anyone getting any ideas, Scotty has a most excellent watch doggie, Kudzu who prefers to go by "Zu". This dog is on the job, protecting my car 24/7.

Sweet dog....all bark and no bite smile.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 4 2014, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 3 2014, 08:33 AM) *

Sweet dog....all bark and no bite smile.gif

Oh sure... tell that to the poor "Metal Recycling Technician" that (used to) come(s) around the complex there. dry.gif

He is now missing a leg and he foams at the mouth! ohmy.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2014, 07:15 PM) *

Oh sure... tell that to the poor "Metal Recycling Technician" that (used to) come(s) around the complex there. dry.gif

He is now missing a leg and he foams at the mouth! ohmy.gif

agree.gif

That's why Scotty has to wear one of those Hannibal Lecter masks in public now. Court order.

unsure.gif
Cairo94507
Eagerly awaiting an update to the progress of my car.......
scotty b
after not being able to source a NOS panel we ended up deciding to just use a solid, rust free used one. I still have a little metal bumping to do, then I'll slice Michael's original panel to get the door gap correct
boogie_man
Great work Scotty !!! beer.gif
scotty b
last for now
Cairo94507
SWEET!!!! I am so happy to see that panel corrected. What a mess that was. Now all that remains is the door gap and that should .... end the major body repairs. I think the oil cooler system will be next. Thanks for the pictures Scotty beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
mepstein
Scott - can the foam be removed without pealing back the fender. I would like all the cancer causing foam out of my car.
billh1963
What a hunk of junk. Cairo needs to sell me that car for cheap! happy11.gif
CptTripps
Great work. What an awesome restoration.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2014, 04:14 AM) *

Scott - can the foam be removed without pealing back the fender. I would like all the cancer causing foam out of my car.

Yes. It takes a lot of chunking with a long screwdriver, but it can be removed that way. I think I may have done that already but if not, I certainly will smile.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 21 2014, 05:15 PM) *

IPB Image
last for now

Oooo, I spy a sweet little Mercedes biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 22 2014, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2014, 04:14 AM) *

Yes. It takes a lot of chunking with a long screwdriver, but it can be removed that way. I think I may have done that already but if not, I certainly will smile.gif

I don't mind doing it if it's still there. Sounds like a project equal to my abilities.
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Valance next week shades.gif
altitude411
(wolf whistle) Nice work Scotty! beerchug.gif Soon the gold paint will flow... popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2014, 06:44 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Valance next week shades.gif

Nice work on the bumper. Exactly what I want for mine. So I guess we decided to do the front cooler?
Cairo94507
That is exactly what I wanted for the front bumper. Terrific work Scotty. Oh, yeah, gonna have a GT front cooler to keep the 3.2 happy in the summer. After looking at the tons of different cooler designs out there I finally decided the GT cover was the best solution for me. Gotta get some of Shea's GT oil lines now...... drooley.gif drooley.gif
type47
Why not use a GT fiberglass bumper and valance?
Cairo94507
Terrific question really. I am not a fan of fiberglass as it tends to develop cracks and just does not fit quite right. Additionally, weight is not an issue for this car as it is not going to be tracked at all.

If I were building a GT bodied car, and had plans to race it, maybe then I would consider glass for some of the parts.

mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2014, 09:21 AM) *

Terrific question really. I am not a fan of fiberglass as it tends to develop cracks and just does not fit quite right. Additionally, weight is not an issue for this car as it is not going to be tracked at all.

If I were building a GT bodied car, and had plans to race it, maybe then I would consider glass for some of the parts.

agree.gif steel for crash protection, fit, durability, ect.
Cairo94507
I was afraid to say the C word......
EdwardBlume
Dumb question, but are you planning on having a front license plate?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.