Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
billh1963
Saw your car when I dropped in Wednesday to check on my 911. It looks like it won't be long know and you'll be driving...the car looks great! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks Bill I appreciate that. Yeah Scotty tells me it will be back in my garage by August 1st 2015. Yeah that is only about 3 1/2 months away.......
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 10 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Thanks Bill I appreciate that. Yeah Scotty tells me it will be back in my garage by August 1st 2015. Yeah that is only about 3 1/2 months away.......

Looks like we need to schedule a Bay Area breakfast in August? We all want to see your gold 914... biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Me too! I am excited to start to see it all come together. I have been sending Scotty parts all along to make sure he will have what he needs to get it assembled. Still need some stuff, but the big ticket items are all with Scotty now.

I know I need:

send bumpers out for chroming
new electric radio antenna
dash plate for the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio
full carpet kit
early metal fog light grills I can chrome
fog lights ( I want to see if anyone makes an LED light that fits the stock grills)
space saver tire that will mount on my 15x7 Fuchs spare rim to mount vertically against bulkhead like Eric's
new windshield
new rubber trim
new Karman body tag to rivet onto the door post
a pair of nice loud horns

Off the top of my head, that is what I still need.

Cairo94507
A few more engine pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Starting to look like an engine....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Hurry up! WCR is two weeks away... poke.gif
billh1963
I love pictures of disassembled engines!!!!
Cairo94507
Me too! Especially when it is my engine biggrin.gif

This is a major milestone for my car. Once the engine makes it back to Scotty he will be free to assemble the engine and transaxle. I think he has all of the engine tin being powder coated and he has already (I think) painted the engine shroud. A pretty significant chunk of cash for that to be fresh and ready to install.

sixnotfour
youre gonna need the extra pulley removed ..
Cairo94507
That is right. I will let them know.
Socalandy
you may want to get some coated head studs or heat paint those for corrosion protection

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg6.htm#item18

my 2 Cents
Cairo94507
Engine is essentially assembled. Of course Scotty needs to blast the valve covers back to original appearance and add all of the rest of the bits and pieces to make it go Vroommmm.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
My engine is back in Scotty's capable hands smile.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Wow! Fast!!!
Cairo94507
I think the usual holdup is all of the machine shop work. In this case the builder knew the engine was coming and he had already put it in line at the machine shop so it all worked out perfectly. Now Scotty will get all of the rest of the parts squared away. I need to send the injectors out to get rebuilt, who should send those to?
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2015, 09:59 PM) *

I think the usual holdup is all of the machine shop work. In this case the builder knew the engine was coming and he had already put it in line at the machine shop so it all worked out perfectly. Now Scotty will get all of the rest of the parts squared away. I need to send the injectors out to get rebuilt, who should send those to?

I was very happy with mr injector. Great customer service. Injectors came out looking like new. Includes a before and after flow sheet. All new seals and screen and priced less than $20/injector. I think the total turn around time was about 1 week.
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark biggrin.gif I will get the completed form to Scotty so he can get them sent out.
Cairo94507
I got the injectors back- 2 were stuck when they arrived. They are all now perfect and ready to install. Great customer service.
Cairo94507
I found a picture of a 3.2 in stock form and like the way it looks. I asked Scotty to use this picture as the model for my engine finishes. Although mine will have the guards red engine shroud.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Very nice. I removed some very colorful powder coat on mine and tried to get it pretty clean. I'd like my fan strap to be gold again, Remember that our engines are turned 180 and sunk down in the engine bay, so unlike the 911's, not that much of the engine shows once it's in the car. But I can appreciate you wanting it to look right.

A gallon of guards red should be enought to paint the shroud. I know what to do with the extra....
Cairo94507
Hi Mark: Yeah, I still want it to look nice even though the fan is against the firewall. Scotty did tell me that a gallon should cover the shroud, I thought that was a little excessive, but I see what is going on now. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Scotty had a chance to get the lower valve covers machined down. Came out nice.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Here is what the engine is starting to look like. Scotty just set the injection, etc., on it to get an idea of how it will look. All that stuff will be bead blasted so it looks nice and fresh.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I am glad we went with the guards red for the engine shroud.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 18 2015, 12:39 PM) *

I am glad we went with the guards red for the engine shroud.

I have to take mine off to bock off the oil cooler ... idea.gif
type47
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 17 2015, 05:11 AM) *

... the lower valve covers machined down.
Click to view attachment

Timely post. I got a pair of turbo VC's yesterday. So, are the ribs machined down even with the height of the top of the holes for the mounting studs?
scotty b
QUOTE(type47 @ May 18 2015, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 17 2015, 05:11 AM) *

... the lower valve covers machined down.
Click to view attachment

Timely post. I got a pair of turbo VC's yesterday. So, are the ribs machined down even with the height of the top of the holes for the mounting studs?

Yes that is how I do them. Some people only machine the area that interferes with the suspension. I feel it looks better ( more stock ) to take the whole thing down to the same height. I did Mark's the same way.

I've gotten quite a bit more than this done lately I just haven't been on line much lately to post pics. I should have more up by mid week. Look for updates on Mark's car as well shades.gif
Cairo94507
Great! Looking forward to the pics biggrin.gif
scotty b
strip, paint, weld, repeat
scotty b
few more
bigkensteele
I guess that I am not smart enough to figure out what the loop modification on the rear of the trailing arms is for. Or what the bottom picture is for that matter confused24.gif

However, beautiful work as usual! welder.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 21 2015, 03:25 PM) *

I guess that I am not smart enough to figure out what the loop modification on the rear of the trailing arms is for. Or what the bottom picture is for that matter confused24.gif

Michael wanted some substantial tow "eyes"/tie downs in the event the car ever needs to be pulled out of a canyon huh.gif unsure.gif The bottom pic is the front of the car confused24.gif

OHhhhhh, I guess you mean the piece I welded ? That was the air diverter on the backside of the alternator. THey have a habit of breaking
Cairo94507
Scotty - Thanks for posting up some pictures. piratenanner.gif

Yup - Just some "D" rings in the event the car is towed somewhere..... unsure.gif hopefully not. But I figured since we are stripping and refinishing the trailing arms, why not add the "D" rings. I think Scotty did a great job of making them fit the contours of the trailing arm.

I could also use them to mount some neon lights under the car so they glow while cruising down the street barf.gif ....well, no.
bigkensteele
Excellent idea!!! Any similar plans for tow points on the front? I don't like the idea of them chaining to the triangular of the control arms. I have had to have my car towed a few times. The first couple, I didn't pay much attention and they mangled my rear triangles where the donuts are.

Carry on... smilie_pokal.gif
Cairo94507
Yes, we will be adding something similar to the front to hook to in the unlikely event we need to tow/tie down the car.
r_towle
D rings, very cool idea
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 21 2015, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 21 2015, 03:25 PM) *

Michael wanted some substantial tow "eyes"/tie downs in the event the car ever needs to be pulled out of a canyon huh.gif unsure.gif The bottom pic is the front of the car confused24.gif

OHhhhhh, I guess you mean the piece I welded ? That was the air diverter on the backside of the alternator. THey have a habit of breaking

You welded up mine as well.
db9146
Not to highjack but since the subject has come up.....quick question on the 930 valve covers.....do the ribs need to be machined to fit on a stock -6? Are the genuine Porsche VCs the only ones to go with?
Cairo94507
My recollection is the turbo valve covers will not go on and off w/o machining them as the ribs add to much size/thickness to them to remove w/o lowering the engine down.

I have no experience with non-OEM valve covers.

The other way to do this, as Scotty kind of commented on, is to just machine down the part of the valve cover which would hit during removal. I have seen them both ways and either works as long as the valve covers are media blasted and look nice.

Cairo94507
So I was able to source a beautiful Blaupunkt Frankfurt (thanks very much T.C.) and an NOS dash plate (thanks again Jeff) for my car. Had the radio restored at German Car Radio Repair in North Hollywood, CA (thank you Herman) and also bought the cable to stream from my iPhone, should I feel the need. This is exactly the radio I wanted in my car and I am very pleased to have it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Things have slowed a bit as I try to finish up a 911 that is nearing the end but I have been trying to spend a little time in the evenings on Michael's car. Sandblasted the doors last week with some other stuff I had to get done and they both turned out a little surprising. Fixed the passengers door, but the drivers ended up being bad enough I'm going to pull another one I have, and see how it is. Steering wheel is ready to go out to Dallas Custom as soon as the paint sets up good
Cairo94507
Nice to see some new shots. Let me know when the wheel ships and I will call them. Thanks Scotty.
Cairo94507
OK so I got some photos from Palo Alto Speedometer. I have asked them for all new sending units matched to the gauges used so everything works as it should. The only unresolved issue, and we may have it resolved but have not tested it yet, is I switched to a later electronic speedometer to add the 6th digit in the odometer since my car has about 89K original documented miles on it and I do not want it to roll over to 0 in 11K miles. I want to keep the actual real mileage recorded. Hartmut told me that VDO makes a converter to go from mechanical to electric pulses to drive the speedo. Apparently I would leave the stock speedo cable going from the transaxle to the gauge area in the dash and then connect the converter so it resides near the actual gauge for a good signal and to keep it out of the elements. If that works, and I really hope it does, we are good with the gauges. Sorry, I can't find the picture of the speedometer right now. When I do, I will post it. All of these will have the "silver dots" in the center like stock. Hartmut is great to work with and I think these are going to be perfect for my car:
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Here is the triple gauge rendering. It has gone out for the actual gauge face to be made.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
OK- Here is the speedo face, nothing to see here really. The tachometer pictured is an earlier version and the redline needed to be corrected to reflect the actual 3,2 redline. That has been corrected as you can see above.

Click to view attachment
db9146
I like the gauges a lot. Is the size of the font on the final tach face smaller? It looks much better to my eyes than the first before the redline correction.
Cairo94507
Thanks - I think it may just be the lighting or the angle of the photo. Otherwise it should be the same.
JeffBowlsby
Should it not be spelled "OEL"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.