Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
balljoint
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 1 2012, 10:04 AM) *

all snuggled down with her sister for a long winters nap...

Is my engine a girl? Is she sexy?

Yes, yes, and you've been a very naughty boy... blink.gif
gms
QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Nov 1 2012, 09:04 AM) *

As a side note, the local guy I've started getting parts from has about a dozen or more 914's and a warehouse full of parts but the jewel is a gold 914-6 that is sitting up high on a stand with the wheels off and you can see all the parts have been powder coated and everything. Pretty sweet car. Guy has just about every part you can imagine, it's crazy.

Is that guy Steve?
gollygwagen
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 1 2012, 08:50 AM) *

Is that guy Steve?

Ha! Yes, yes it was. I got some 5-bolt stuff from him and was just awed by the vast quantity of parts he had. I could get lost in there for days with enough beer and pizza. ;-)
Cairo94507
Scotty - We can work something out on the headers......what could it be.....maybe some work on that Six sitting in your shop smile.gif

As for the heat exchangers from the 3.2, they are available if anyone needs them for a very fair price.

I don't know what to do re the Autothority MAF unit, but go ahead and see if you can get a new sticker, that would be nice. We will have a talk about that and the cams once I get the specs from Web. Essentially, if these items, cams and MAF unit, do not create issues as to reliability, driveability and maintenance, and broaden the torque curve or add a little HP...I say let's go with them. But that is just my knee-jerk reaction w/o and research or discussion with those in the know.

Scotty you are right about the alternator and Mark is right about the fan shroud. We will hold on to both of those items until we know if the ones on the engine are good, or as good as the spares.

I am so happy that the engine arrived crated as if it were going to circumnavigate the globe! My thanks to Ben Merriman over at the bird site.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 1 2012, 06:04 AM) *

all snuggled down with her sister for a long winters nap...

Is my engine a girl? Is she sexy?

The cars are kinda like sisters. you just got the one with the " child birthing hips " laugh.gif
scotty b
getting the final prep work done prior to blasting. Shooting for next week smile.gif Note the creepy smilie face stamp on the t.c. cover of the old engine blink.gif
Cairo94507
Terrific! I am pleased to see the metal work being started on the chassis.

We will have to see what the heat exchangers look like when blasted. May need to replace them with some of the soon-to-be manufactured SS heat exchangers.

Thanks for the pictures Scotty.
billh1963
I thought California cars were rust free? poke.gif

Looking good! smile.gif
eyesright
Wow, good pictures, informative narrative of doint it right. Everybody wishes we could have a new, 40 year old car. I wish I had the time, money, tools, facilities, ....and talent to do this.

And I agree on the light ivory. That would make it a good candidate for a Creamesicle!!! Wowww, a -6 Creamsickle!

Hello?......

Did I say something wrong? smile.gif
Cairo94507
I appreciate the thoughts as my car moves along in Scotty's shop. I am still leaning towards Light Ivory with the backup color being Irish Green. This car will not be a creamsicle Six though laugh.gif .
Cairo94507
Hey Bill - I am fairly happy with what Scotty has uncovered thus far. Compared to others, this chassis is pretty clean.

I think the fact that this Six was pretty much parked outside for quite some time by the 2nd owner, though covered, who lived near the ocean may have contributed to the small amount of rust this car has. Had it been an Arizona car it would likely be completely clean. But I am not complaining as I knew this was going to be a rotisserie restoration and would need metal work regardless. I am just fortunate that it is in the expert hands of Scotty B.
scotty b
Started blasting yesterday. I've never stripped a whole car before and grossly under-estimated how long it would take. The sections of body panels I hit went quickly, but all the nooks and crannies seemed to take forever, as the media would build up and I had to clean the stuff out to see what I had and hadn't gotten clean. All the little spots of remaining undercoat and seam sealer were a bitch too. Anyway, the whole underside is nude, as is the front and rear panels and part of the engine bay. Forcast for rain tomorrow so hopefuly Tuesday I can get the trunks, pass compartment, remaining engine bay and outer body done. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
(gold)

Looking good gents! smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2013, 10:05 AM) *

(gold)

Looking good gents! smilie_pokal.gif

(white)

Thanks Erc beerchug.gif

I should add that I didn't uncover anything surprising. A few small holes popped up, and some of the spots we already knew were bad, got little worse. The only thing that may be an issue was how the front panel was replaced. I'll need to dig into it alittle more once it is all clean, but it appears the old piece was not completely removed, as there look to be 3 layers of metal around the edges, like the original flange is still there. The panel may need to be removed cleaned up and properly replaced. More on that later
Valy
What a waste of gold paint barf.gif

If you need more encouragement, I can send you as many pictures as you want of my white 914 smile.gif
scotty b
Michaels inspiration smile.gif
Eric_Shea
(rare factory gold original 6)
preach
Looks like it is coming along nicely!

Scotty is there a thread on making your rotisserie or do you have dimensions handy?
scotty b
QUOTE(preach @ Feb 10 2013, 11:13 AM) *

Looks like it is coming along nicely!

Scotty is there a thread on making your rotisserie or do you have dimensions handy?

No I never did a thread on it. This is actualy the second one I built and is much more basic. The other is a lot heavier duty for putting Am cars on and has a bit more adjustments to it. Yuo can see that one in Mark Epstiens thread. I can get measurements this week, but the only ones that are really critical is the length ( height ) of the uprights, and IIRC I have those set at 48", cross leg is 36" and the front leg is 48" Again, these figures are off the top of my head, so I may be remembering wrong unsure.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2013, 12:29 PM) *

Started blasting yesterday. I've never stripped a whole car before and grossly under-estimated how long it would take. The sections of body panels I hit went quickly, but all the nooks and crannies seemed to take forever, as the media would build up and I had to clean the stuff out to see what I had and hadn't gotten clean. All the little spots of remaining undercoat and seam sealer were a bitch too. Anyway, the whole underside is nude, as is the front and rear panels and part of the engine bay. Forcast for rain tomorrow so hopefuly Tuesday I can get the trunks, pass compartment, remaining engine bay and outer body done. smile.gif

Thought you had purchased a blaster that left no residue or media?

One day I'm gonna get frustrated and load my pos up and three hour's later be on your doorstep....
scotty b
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 10 2013, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2013, 12:29 PM) *

Thought you had purchased a blaster that left no residue or media?

One day I'm gonna get frustrated and load my pos up and three hour's later be on your doorstep....

Nope A media blast system that left no residue would be an amazing product. Dry ice may not confused24.gif The one I got doesn't create a lot of overspray to the surrounding area, and won't warp the metal. That is the big plus to this setup
Cairo94507
Well color me one happy guy. I love to see my car moving forward in the process and not seeing a ton of damage or rust to have to address. Very exciting indeed. I look forward to seeing the remainder of the car stripped. Not worried about that front panel - if Scotty needs to remove that and reinstall it to make it correct, that is the way it goes.

Oh and it looks like gold '71 Sixes just got a little more rare as this one will soon have no remnants of gold on it at all - for the rest of my life at least. biggrin.gif
Socalandy
looks great and solid popcorn[1].gif
PanelBilly
Be careful blasting the back sides of the hood and trunk. Keep in mi d you're "hammering" the metal and you can't reach the sheet metal behind the stringers. Aggressive blasting from the back can leave an imprint of the stringers on the top surface.
OU8AVW
Might as well buy some extra white paint. My car should get back to you about the time this one's going into the booth.....
gms
(gold)
please fix these holes biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
scotty b
there are several holes that will be filled in welder.gif
MDG
Excellent work, Scotty.
Cairo94507
Those are some pretty big holes; what the heck were they for?
JmuRiz
They almost look like they could be used to evacuate oil cooler heat...
SUNAB914
Scotty, why is there a tie down loop behind the master cylinder but not on the front trunk bottom? is that a -6 thing? interesting
Kraftwerk
Paint it Gold!Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
The more I look at that gold the more I think.......wait for it...............
that I am never going to paint it gold.

Disclaimer: To those with gold cars, I have nothing against them. I just do not, and have never liked, gold. Look at the bright side, one less gold car makes your gold car that much more desirable bs.gif
sixnotfour
Not that gold , This GOLD Homie aktion035.gif

White will be Fine popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
Playaa!
scotty b
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 12 2013, 01:46 PM) *

Scotty, why is there a tie down loop behind the master cylinder but not on the front trunk bottom? is that a -6 thing? interesting

I cut the one on the trunk botton off. That whole area has taken a betaing fomr jacks over the years, and the tow eye needs some attention that couldn't be done on the car. It also allowed me to blast under it. The hole you see at the master cylinder, is actually the pedal support braket. I have no idea why they made that lop on the front side. It serves no purpose that I know of, other than creating yet another area to trap water dry.gif

I would have to agree with Narthn about the holes up fonrt. They are clearly something done aftermarket, and would appear to be evac holes.

The car is finished blating. I'm too damn tired right now to download and ost pics. Maybe tomorrow. Found some rust holes in the trunk channels, tops of the fenders where they meet the windshield frame, some less than steler reair work in the rear trunk, which we were already talking about removing and fixing anyway. Nothing MAJOR to speak of smile.gif
Cairo94507
drunk.gif piratenanner.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif smash.gif welder.gif bye1.gif
scotty b
A few teasers my dad took while I was working. I'll get some more up, including the bad spots in the next day or two.
bulitt
Very Nice! Get em done before the dog days of summer.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif wub.gif wub.gif
Cairo94507
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:35 AM) *

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

You're about to regret that bump sad.gif

First a few overall pics.
scotty b
Right rear corner sad.gif
scotty b
rear trunk dry.gif
MDG
dry.gif the right rear pics is right where they injected that foam crap . . .
scotty b
Battery tray, jack posts, rockers, pass compartment icon8.gif
scotty b
I'll be back in a few. Michael, if you see this stuff. Go get your self a stiff drink, a soft chair, and some Mel Torme before I get back unsure.gif
scotty b
Front door jambs / fender mounts. barf.gif Notice there are 3 layers of metal here. There should only be 2. you'll be seeing this again on the front panel dry.gif
scotty b
couple more of the fenders. then the front panel and trunk channelmo
Cairo94507
Hey Scotty:

Well we now know what we have to deal with. I still believe, based upon all the others I have seen, that is a pretty clean chassis. I know that you will surgically excise the bad and replace it with nice new metal.

Nice to see it finally sans Gold ( barf.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.