Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Cairo94507
Yeah, I agree re the seat belt receiver; I tried it on another six I had and fortunately did not break or damage anything. As soon as I saw it stuck in the receiver I said, well that was poorly designed and never tired it again.

As for gold.....man I catch a lot of grief over my plan to change the original color but I just can't have a gold car - especially that gold. I still plan on going light ivory but irish green is a strong 2nd.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 26 2012, 08:46 PM) *

I vote to make it gold again ! aktion035.gif

agree.gif
scotty b
give it up guys. dry.gif The car will not be gold, I am fully backing Michael in this decision
Gustl
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 27 2012, 04:55 AM) *

I dig the gold. I have never seen that color on another car, and if this is going to be a high quality resto, I think that the value it will add would be big. Can somebody do a PhotoShop?!?!?

would some photos be o.k. rolleyes.gif

front valance and black rear wall are not correct, but it should give you a good idea of a gold metallic car
Cairo94507
I had that series of pictures as my desktop for quite a while.....still didn't work. Sorry, but I appreciate you trying.

Thanks Scott for the support beerchug.gif
OU8AVW
I don't think you understand, the community has voted and you will be painting your car gold.
Scotty only agrees with you because he has paint left over from my car poke.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 27 2012, 10:36 AM) *

I don't think you understand, the community has voted and you will be painting your car gold.

on second thought.......those pics of a gold six look pretty cool.
also..... not too many early 914s' were metallic colors..... and original means never having to say you're sorry
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 27 2012, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 27 2012, 04:55 AM) *

I dig the gold. I have never seen that color on another car, and if this is going to be a high quality resto, I think that the value it will add would be big. Can somebody do a PhotoShop?!?!?

would some photos be o.k. rolleyes.gif

front valance and black rear wall are not correct, but it should give you a good idea of a gold metallic car

That looks nice! Interesting fog light covers confused24.gif

Cairo, as we learned today, democracy doesn't necessarily mean that the majority gets their way, and it certainly doesn't mean that the people paying for things get their way. screwy.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 28 2012, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 27 2012, 10:36 AM) *

on second thought.......those pics of a gold six look pretty cool.
also..... not too many early 914s' were metallic colors..... and original means never having to say you're sorry

Get over it
bigkensteele
I am certain that it will look just as great as all of the other nicely restored light ivory cars we have all seen poke.gif

I am just being a trouble-maker with an opinion. I am definitely a member of the "It's your car, do whatever you want" crowd, and I will never part ways.

Irish green is great as well. I remember a VW/Porsche or European Car article several years ago about an Irish green six that was restored from a basket case by some guy whose uncle was the original owner. Beautiful car. I am sure that T.C. has the article.
moparrob
Light Ivory is nice (I'm biased) but to get the full effect you need to insert jack stands....

IPB Image
TheReverend
this is Awesome... the new night time reading..!!!
TheReverend
The Air was thick with Cat calls.. no pun intended..
EdwardBlume
Paint it any color you want.... its your car and it will still be worth a fair amount of change... aktion035.gif
dlestep
where are the cowling supports ?
scotty b
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jun 30 2012, 07:19 PM) *

where are the cowling supports ?

the car is being completely stripped so I took them out confused24.gif
sixnotfour
Ivory with Gold lol-2.gif
Mr.242
Ah I remember the stripping days...felt so good to get it down to naked to view where the repairs and needs are for the car.

I can't wait to see this build and the car put into better shape. I endorse the "do it your way" and Ivory White will be a nice look to a SIX.

What is the estimated time of completion?
Cairo94507
I would like it done within 18 months or sooner if I can manage it. The only limiting factor is my wallet. I pay for this work out of extra cash every month. I won't go into any savings, investments, etc. so I hope to keep it going in a forward direction every single month.
Cairo94507
Status update: car due to be on rotisserie within next 2 weeks and media blasted inside & out with a coat of primer by end of August. I am looking forward too seeing those pictures......
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 8 2012, 03:22 PM) *

Status update: car due to be on rotisserie within next 2 weeks and media blasted inside & out with a coat of primer by end of August. I am looking forward too seeing those pictures......

Scotty got some new shop toys. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
scotty b
Freaking oil lines took almost 3 hours to remove. I had to cut the lines every 6 or so inches, let that section of oil drain out, then cut the rest of the way through. I've never felt like I was so well lubricated in my life blink.gif Getting the top line was fun too.

In other news, the car has had the drivers rear quarter replaced, and I am almost certain both front fenders have been replaced unless the stitch welded seam is a 6 only assembly procedure. there is no gold paint under the black on the fronts either.

I have a feeling the car was wrecked early on and was repaired with factory panels by a very competent shop. It would be interesting to know the whole story though confused24.gif

Anyway, the car is completely dismantled now except for the suspension. Hopefully I will get it on the rotiserrie tomorrow and drop the suspension, then commence with scraping the undercoating and seam seaer prior to blasting it smile.gif
seanery
looking good! How effective was the home made trombone cooler? was there any evidence of chaffing or wear through at the chassis support of the copper?
billh1963
Looks like it will take a few months to put that back together. Can't wait to see it finished!
balljoint
In even better news I have sourced another original Gold 914 that has been painted white. So Cairo can return his Six to Gold and still have a Gold 914-4 painted white.

smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 22 2012, 02:47 PM) *

looking good! How effective was the home made trombone cooler? was there any evidence of chaffing or wear through at the chassis support of the copper?

Michael nor I ran this engine much but the cooler should have been very effective. The 2 downsides is the removal of it should be needed, and the two holes that were cut in the front section of the longs is clearly what allowed them to rot out. No signs of chaffing aywhere. Whoever did this setup had a couple spots with some copper braces to keep everything stable.
seanery
thanks for the info beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice to see this moving along. I am not really concerned that some panels have been replaced. I know that Scott will make sure that everything is perfectly fitted and welded.

In a car that is 41 years old it has to be the exception to find one with all original panels. I am just concerned that all of the rust and damage is corrected properly and that is why my car is in Scott's capable hands.

I am glad to see that oil cooler system come out; on an informative note, the prior owner, #2, said he has driven the car like that since the 3,0 was installed and never had a cooling problem and that included driving through the Santa Cruz mountains in the summer. So for those wondering, that's the best I can tell you.

Thanks Scott for working on my car and posting the pictures.
Michael
scotty b
First flip smile.gif the weld flange on the front panel is a bit crusty but I only found one bad spot in the floor first.gif
Socalandy
like peeling an orange and the floors look great!! popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
When are you getting the new blasting system? That would make quick work of the floors!
scotty b
I already got the blaster, unfortunately blasting won't do much with the rubberized undercoating like this. It just tends to bounce off of it. IT sucks but manual peeling is the best way I have found for this coating. Keep in mind that the 6's were assembled in the same plant as the 911's, so they recieved the " deluxe " Shutzing rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
w00t.gif I am so glad to see that. I am really happy with the condition of this car so far. Please get some door braces on that baby soon slap.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2012, 08:38 PM) *

w00t.gif I am so glad to see that. I am really happy with the condition of this car so far. Please get some door braces on that baby soon slap.gif

A solid car won't bend just hanging on a rotisserie.
Cairo94507
Hi Mark:
I'm more the glass is half full kind of guy. With my luck Scotty would come in in the morning and my car would look like a U. I would rather be safe than wide awake at night wondering if it is sagging. But I want to say thanks for your vote of confidence in my car.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2012, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2012, 08:38 PM) *

A solid car won't bend just hanging on a rotisserie.

I have heard that cars that are going to be painted gold are much less prone to sagging poke.gif

Sorry, Cairo - couldn't resist!
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2012, 09:14 PM) *

Hi Mark:
I'm more the glass is half full kind of guy. With my luck Scotty would come in in the morning and my car would look like a U. I would rather be safe than wide awake at night wondering if it is sagging. But I want to say thanks for your vote of confidence in my car.

Think about the torque on the longs when the car is fully built 2200+lbs with driver and passenger vs empty shell 500lbs. Granted the suspension is more centered than the bumper but the rott is static and force is not being multiplied by bumps in the road. Cutting and welding are a different story.
Cairo94507
The other night I woke up from a horrid dream....the covered transport arrived at my house and they opened the back and rolled out a metallic gold Six....thank God I woke up before I had a heart attack in my sleep. It was frightening..... I am still shaking from it.

Couldn't resist either. I am still 90% light ivory and 10% irish green. If I were a gambler, I would put my money on light ivory.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2012, 06:17 PM) *

The other night I woke up from a horrid dream....the covered transport arrived at my house and they opened the back and rolled out a metallic gold Six....thank God I woke up before I had a heart attack in my sleep. It was frightening..... I am still shaking from it.

Couldn't resist either. I am still 90% light ivory and 10% irish green. If I were a gambler, I would put my money on light ivory.

You could paint the thing pink and I would still wish it were mine. Scotty is going to make that car dazzle, whatever color you pick.
smj
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 26 2012, 07:11 PM) *

You could paint the thing pink ...
Pink Pig?

Click to view attachment

Ha ha, but seriously paint it whatever color you want. You pay the bills, you get to call the shots.
EdwardBlume
In your dream, was there door braces on the transporter? poke.gif
elmonte
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2012, 07:17 PM) *

It could have been worse!! You could have looked over and saw your wife like this!

Click to view attachment

cheers

Cairo94507
If anything, it would have been me that was dead and painted gold! She is full blooded Portuguese. I am really afraid of her.....
Mike Bellis
Michael, please give Scotty a big pile of money so we can see more pics poke.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

av-943.gif
Cairo94507
Hey Mike- I am doing the best I can. I love seeing the pictures too as the Scotty and the car make progress.
Valy
Spoiler:
This is how it will look like.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Is that really light ivory? It looks whiter in that picture than I remember it. But yeah, generally that is what it will look like.
Valy
That's the color but pictures and light conditions will impact the look on your screen.
I like the color a lot, mostly because it doesn't show the dust wink.gif
scotty b
Between my dad and I there is almost a full week just in scraping off the undercoating, and I still have one wheel well to go blink.gif Only found a few more SMALL rust spots to fix. One in the floor, one on the engine shelf under the battery tray and the spot on the long where the oil ines had been run. Media blasting will get the remainder of the undercoating bits off smile.gif Also note the rust that was underneath the foam in the rear corners. It's always a good idea to remove that stuff
mepstein
Cool shots. Did you figure out how the orange got there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.