Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JmuRiz
Rich Johnson has a contact for under rear trunk coolers too. He's from Texas and hasn't had issues on his hot 3.0.

I'm going this route unless someone comes up with another good idea...engine lid mount is an option too, but might not be enough on it's own.
Cairo94507
Engine lid would be a no-go with the Motronic injection. Also, and this might sound dumb, but I really like the way the underside of our cars look and I do not want to add stuff to detract from the stock-ish look. That's why I keep thinking the trombone or a small oil cooler in the front fender well is the best option so far.
Socalandy
did your dash assembly have the number you were looking for on it?

914 confused24.gif

no X19
scotty b
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 1 2013, 06:58 PM) *

did your dash assembly have the number you were looking for on it?

914 confused24.gif

no X19

I've got the dash stored up high on a shelf and haven't pulled it out to check yet, but I'm pretty sure I recall the numbers being on it
Cairo94507
I know....the suspense is killing me!
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Engine lid would be a no-go with the Motronic injection. Also, and this might sound dumb, but I really like the way the underside of our cars look and I do not want to add stuff to detract from the stock-ish look. That's why I keep thinking the trombone or a small oil cooler in the front fender well is the best option so far.

Our 914's don't lend themselves to oil coolers in the front fender like 911's. And even if you made it work, you would be making a bunch of extra holes and running lines up the front. You will see that a lot more than coolers mounted under the car. Plus under the car mounting could be made easily reversible in the future. Maybe a pair of small coolers behind the fog light grills but it's still a lot of time, money and bodywork for a non optimal solution.

My choice (for your car) would be a pair of small coolers mounted to either side of the trans with auxillary fans mounted on them to move air when additional cooling is needed.
Eric_Shea
That's why I keep thinking the trombone or a small oil cooler in the front fender well is the best option so far

I wouldn't. There's nothing like a cooler at the very front of the car.

My choice (for your car) would be a pair of small coolers mounted to either side of the trans with auxillary fans mounted on them to move air when additional cooling is needed.

Not mine. Two coolers under the car with the heat of the exhaust, sitting in one of those famous I-5 traffic jams. sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2013, 12:58 PM) *

That's why I keep thinking the trombone or a small oil cooler in the front fender well is the best option so far

I wouldn't. There's nothing like a cooler at the very front of the car.

Not mine. Two coolers under the car with the heat of the exhaust, sitting in one of those famous I-5 traffic jams. sad.gif

Is there the same amount of heat in that area when heat exchangers are run?
Eric_Shea
More than there would be in the front where it belongs. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2013, 09:55 PM) *

I have no doubt the front is best. It's what I'm doing with mine. But Michael wants a stock look so get off your high horse unicorn and figure out a way to make it work.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2013, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2013, 09:55 PM) *

I have no doubt the front is best. It's what I'm doing with mine. But Michael wants a stock look so get off your high horse unicorn and figure out a way to make it work.

ohmy.gif popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
Put it in front. Looks like a stock 914-6(/GT) tongue.gif

Cut, notch and rechrome the front bumper. Purchase a narrow GT lower valance.

-or-

Put a 2.0T motor in it. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
damn dog, your right ,but this right side kit is what I would run on this particular SIX;
http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhandling/...plumbingkit.htm

Or No, Do what SoCalAndy is doing...GT oil lines, Setrab Cooler and Mocal Thermo.
Eric_Shea
We can drop ship... biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Hi everyone and thanks for your input and suggestions. I value all opinions as I am by no means an expert at any of this stuff. So, If I were building a GT replica I would of course go with the GT cooler up front as it is a terrific looking solution which functions better than it looks and that says a lot. Believe me there was a moment when I was thinking about building this car that I actually made the decision to make it a GT replica with flares and all- but idea.gif with a rear valance installed (no offense to the GT's who run w/o).

Then I actually thought more about the car's history and I do feel as since there are fewer '71's than '70's, that I had an obligation to do the best I could to keep it stock looking as much as possible. That resulted in my changing course and the decision to keep it a stock-bodied Six. And I have not wavered from that decision ever since.

I mean the little changes we are making, chassis stiffening kit, early S calipers with vented rotors, GT rear calipers with vented drilled rotors, deep six wheels finished to factory standards, factory '71 color of Light Ivory (even though the car used to be gold), side-shift conversion to my Six transaxle and the addition of a Renn Shifter and linkage, a stock '89 3.2 with Motronic, exhaust with heat exchangers that appear as similar to stock as possible and yet allow the 3.2 to run correctly, F&R stock 914 sway bars and bushings, double wrapped stock steering wheel, keeping the frog warts (lights) on the fenders, keeping the stock antenna, adding LED tail lights and 3rd brake light as cleanly as is possible. All that is being done to make the car safer to operate today while still staying true to the car.

However, and I will say this again, politely, I DON'T want to cut up my trunk - really. Now if there is no other viable option, then of course I would have to do it to keep the engine cool and the car running w/o problems. I like the look of the notched bumper/valance and that is not my objection as it really is a low-profile modification. But as soon as you open the trunk.....all you see is the cooler shroud and the hoses.

So we have about 2 months to figure this out before the 3.2 gets bolted in to trial fit and mock-up everything so we have no surprises later.

Come on all you brainiacs put your thinking caps on and tell me why the front fender cooler with the GT lines and a Porsche thermostat would not be sufficient for my specific build/use.

My bias is based on two former Sixes I had. My first, a '70 with a 2.7 had no cooler at all and I was maybe in my mid-20's and drove the car pretty hard pretty regularly and it never over-heated or had a problem.

My next Six was also a '70 but I put a 3.0 with injection in it. Now that car had heating issues almost immediately. We added a Porsche thermostat and braided flex steel line up the driver's side to the front of the car and installed 2 small VW 411 (?) coolers, one behind each fog light grill. Of course I lost my fog lights but the two small coolers and the hardware connected to it ran flawlessly with no leaks and absolutely no overheating.

Those experiences are what cause me to believe that the thermostat controlled GT lines up the side of the car connected to a small by comparison to the GT cooler, cooler would likely suffice for me.

Please keep me on track and send me your ideas and thoughts. It takes a whole community to build a nice car. shades.gif You see what I did there? lol-2.gif Thanks a lot for your support and advise. I love these little cars.
Michael
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2013, 07:49 PM) *

My bias is based on two former Sixes I had. My first, a '70 with a 2.7 had no cooler at all and I was maybe in my mid-20's and drove the car pretty hard pretty regularly and it never over-heated or had a problem.

My next Six was also a '70 but I put a 3.0 with injection in it. Now that car had heating issues almost immediately. We added a Porsche thermostat and braided flex steel line up the driver's side to the front of the car and installed 2 small VW 411 (?) coolers, one behind each fog light grill. Of course I lost my fog lights but the two small coolers and the hardware connected to it ran flawlessly with no leaks and absolutely no overheating.

That's cool...I kind of like that idea you used on the 3.0. Anyway, I sent you pictures of the setup I was talking about.
I'm with you as well, I kind of like having a nice front trunk w/o a cooler if possible.
scotty b
confused24.gif This looks like it would work and you could keep the bumper stock
Cairo94507
dry.gif HMMMMM....that looks vaguely familiar. Well we know that worked because that was what apparently worked for years on my car. But it interferes with the fog lights and required cutting big holes in the front panel. But, it is essentially a big trombone cooler in the front. confused24.gif

I am still leaning towards something in the front fender......I know, I am stubborn.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 3 2013, 03:49 PM) *

dry.gif HMMMMM....that looks vaguely familiar. Well we know that worked because that was what apparently worked for years on my car. But it interferes with the fog lights and required cutting big holes in the front panel. But, it is essentially a big trombone cooler in the front. confused24.gif

I am still leaning towards something in the front fender......I know, I am stubborn.

front fender has no airflow through the cooler.
Cairo94507
Yeah...small detail to work out....
sixnotfour
A 911 does not either
sixnotfour
Did Scotty get the parts ?? beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
You know I was kind of thinking the same thing. I didn't think the 911 had a flow through venting for the front fender cooler but I have not owned an early 911 for quite some time.

I believe he received the parts but am not sure....I am awaiting new pictures to be posted. Hopefully they will show your parts and the front clip I got from Brad.

Still need a darn set of NOS front fenders.........................................

I see one posted in the classified for $1K but that just seems a little expensive to me. Thoughts?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 3 2013, 01:32 PM) *

remove turn signal....mucho airflow.....problem solved, have nice day. beerchug.gif

Yes the rockers showed up smile.gif
scotty b
no the 911's didn't have much for airflow up there either, but by the time they went to the 3.2 engines, they put a small radiator and fan up there, presumably because the 3.2 was running too hot with a trombone confused24.gif

I have one of those systems and was going to see if it could be manipulated to fit in the same area on a 914, but I kind of doubt it unsure.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 3 2013, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 3 2013, 01:32 PM) *

remove turn signal....mucho airflow.....problem solved, have nice day. beerchug.gif

Yes the rockers showed up smile.gif

That trombone looks a bit rusty too.

mellow.gif
Valy
Have you tried under the steering rack? Just remove the cover and you should be set.

Or you can use a fiberglass front bumper top and cut a notch in the middle just above the bumper so it's only visible when looking from under the bumper. This way you can tunnel the air behind the bumper and have a cooler there.
Cairo94507
I like the cooler/fan set-up from the later 911's. I bet Scotty can make it work biggrin.gif
scotty b
Got some smaller stuff done. filled in all of the holes form the previous oil cooling system, hammerd the front trunk back into place, mad ea patch for the engine shelf down in the hell hole, cut the rear center section out of the floor to repair and weld back in. While it is out I will also be repairing and reinforcing the clutch tube spot on the firewall.

Oh, and some goodies have arrived biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Ooooo, nice front clip.
Cairo94507
Wow that is a great looking front clip from Brad at 914 LTD. Looks way better in Scott's pictures and came with a lot of stuff too. Can't wait until Scott gets the front panel separated so we know it is as good as it looks. Of course it needs to be media blasted too.

Nice to see the new parts and the holes being filled. The front trunk pan looks terrific now.

Just need the darn NOS front fenders now.
mepstein
Good practice before you work on my car. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
biggrin.gif agree.gif
mepstein
What about a self contained box that holds a big oil cooler and 2 fans that would custom fit in the space usually taken by the spare tire. Leave the front body plugs off as well as the 2 sheet metal plugs at the bottom of the trunk. Use a GT lower valance but keep the metal bumper stock. The enclosure would be similar to a traditional front mounted cooler but the entire unit would be a drop in custom fit without actually mounting to the trunk(or cutting big holes). Just holes for the oil lines and nothing else. Thick rubber trim on the sides of the box to make it air tight. Soundproof and carpet the top. --- Just a thought.

If it works, Scotty could surely sell more.
Cairo94507
Hi Mark-
Well my first option for the oil cooler would be the Carrera cooler with the thermostat fan in the front fender. If Scotty tell me that he can make one of those fit- it is a done deal.

If that does not fit, I may have to look at a smaller front mounted cooler in the trunk with a shroud on it. I probably do not need a cooler of the size the GT's run since my car is not going to be tracked.

I appreciate the brain-trust we have going on here. Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone.
JmuRiz
Have Scott talk with his friend Stephen D, we were talking about ideas for a front cooler between the bumper and body (I know, it's really tight space). He's an outside the box thinker and probably figured out a way to do it already. I planned on talking to him once my car got further along...
Cairo94507
Thanks for the tip. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Could this be your old 914-6 ??
Cairo94507
Hard to say. Mine was Irish Green and no flares. My other was Signal Orange with a 2.7.
worn
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 9 2013, 01:56 PM) *

Have Scott talk with his friend Stephen D, we were talking about ideas for a front cooler between the bumper and body (I know, it's really tight space). He's an outside the box thinker and probably figured out a way to do it already. I planned on talking to him once my car got further along...

I wonder if you could attach copper or aluminum tubing to the inside of the bumper in such a way as to make it into a big heat exchanger. Probably would work poorly in stop and go, but it is pretty big, and generally hollow in the back.
Cairo94507
OK looks like NOS front fenders is a dream.

It appears I have a very nice set of replacement fenders coming which are in excellent shape. Scotty will be seeing them at Hershey and will advise me if they are as nice as we suspect. If that is the case I will be done looking for body parts (I hope) as we will have everything.

Once I know, I will post pictures and disclose the source of these very nice fenders. popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif welder.gif biggrin.gif Rust be gone......
That channel on the replacement front end looks a bit tore-up......hopefully that is the worst of it.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 15 2013, 05:20 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif welder.gif biggrin.gif Rust be gone......
That channel on the replacement front end looks a bit tore-up......hopefully that is the worst of it.

Goodluck, I said that same thing a few more times than I wanted. Looks great!!!
Cairo94507
Scotty is working on the car and I am looking forward to some new pictures soon.

Hopefully very soon we will see the front panel and fenders blasted. Then going on the car welder.gif
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif
sixnotfour
Scotty ..I am pretty sure the one headlight bucket is a later one...shorter in depth..

The right or passenger side..
scotty b
Thanks, it too will be taken care of
Cairo94507
Excellent! So glad to see the front end getting put back together. Looking forward to seeing it straight and all welded up welder.gif . Scotty is doing a great job and the documentation on this build will I hope assist others in the future with their cars.

Sixnotfour - Thanks for the information. Scott and I spoke about that issue before and it will be taken care of.
moparrob
I went with a Mazda RX-7 cooler and added dual Spal fans with a thermo switch.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next I opened up the front holes, plus added more.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then I welded in an exhaust panel with a custom sheet metal shroud.

IPB Image

No big deal...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.