Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 11 2021, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 11 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Oscar that's what I'm looking for. But I need the silver part to be open. I would use the sticker to spray the silver portion onto the car then pull the sticker off. How tall is the sticker? I need to know so that I don't cut the 1/4 panel to tall. By the way what is Chucky's. I google it and all I get is the chucky doll. screwy.gif

I will get you height later today, Chucky is my latest 914, LSV8 powered.

But next to your car I may have to rename it Barney headbang.gif

O

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif OK....by the way...that Chucky is one bad looking ride. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 11 2021, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 11 2021, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 11 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Oscar that's what I'm looking for. But I need the silver part to be open. I would use the sticker to spray the silver portion onto the car then pull the sticker off. How tall is the sticker? I need to know so that I don't cut the 1/4 panel to tall. By the way what is Chucky's. I google it and all I get is the chucky doll. screwy.gif

I will get you height later today, Chucky is my latest 914, LSV8 powered.

But next to your car I may have to rename it Barney headbang.gif

O

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif OK....by the way...that Chucky is one bad looking ride. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thx

I have these coming in dark silver as a back up.

Not sure if I'll swap out idea.gif

O

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Hey Rudy

My side decals measure 3.00 tall

@curbandgutter

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 12 2021, 07:33 AM) *

Hey Rudy

My side decals measure 3.00 tall

@curbandgutter

Thanks bud. I gave myself 4" so I'm free and clear to cut in.
Curbandgutter
LEFT REAR PRETTY COMPLETE
Click to view attachment

INSERT SUIT CASE HERE Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
you should jack the wheel to stance position... :trophy:
Andyrew
That's looking really awesome!!! Keep at it!!!

Are you making a wood buck or two for the pass side?
76-914
I dropped by Rudy's yesterday and checked out his build. It's on another level entirely. His shop is a fabricators dream and what impresses me is he knows how to use all of that equipment. I watched him program a pattern on his computer with a CAD program then transfer it to the computer on his plasma cutting machine. I'm pretty sure it would take me about 11 years just to master what he did in under an hour. headbang.gif I think his decision to go back with the Audi drivetrain is a smart move even though the LS is a popular power plant. This build with the combination of the Audi drivetrain and super wide trac and huge tires should be a rocket off the line and insane through the turns. beerchug.gif
erwan914
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 11 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Fitment check.......they finally arrived!

hello

what is the brand of your rims?

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(erwan914 @ Feb 22 2021, 12:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 11 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Fitment check.......they finally arrived!

hello

what is the brand of your rims?

FORGESTAR
Curbandgutter
REAR FENDERS ARE PRETTY COMPLETE NOW. RUBBER COMING IN TOMORROW. JOPING TO START FRONT FENDERS THIS WEEKEND
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Hey does anyone have front portions of the front fenders available? I need the portion where the turn signal bucket goes in. I want to widen the front turn signal bucket about 1" so that I can stick some LED's in there. Since I will be working the front fenders this weekend.......timing will be just right.
Rand
Totally awesome build. Huge props.
I have to ask... is that driver's side cage tube gonna be a head knocker? Seems low and right in line with a helmet. Sorry, don't mean to be negative at all, pic just begged the question.
Outstanding metalwork. beerchug.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 23 2021, 02:49 PM) *

Hey does anyone have front portions of the front fenders available? I need the portion where the turn signal bucket goes in. I want to widen the front turn signal bucket about 1" so that I can stick some LED's in there. Since I will be working the front fenders this weekend.......timing will be just right.

Why not just slit the fenders right down the crown from the middle of the turn signal bucket? A lot easier to work with the original shape intact and one cut on the top.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 23 2021, 07:48 PM) *

I have to ask... is that driver's side cage tube gonna be a head knocker? Seems low and right in line with a helmet. Sorry, don't mean to be negative at all, pic just begged the question.

Rudy mentioned on facebook that he's going to remove the A to B pillar bars after he's done with chassis work, they were there just to keep the chassis straight during fab.

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 24 2021, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 23 2021, 02:49 PM) *

Why not just slit the fenders right down the crown from the middle of the turn signal bucket? A lot easier to work with the original shape intact and one cut on the top.

Jeff yes I see what you mean. That would work fine if I were going to split the entire top front to back. But, I'm only widening the front half of the fender on the outside edge.
I think it will be a three step process. 1) add 916 flare 2) widen 916 flare 3) add widened outside edge.

Basically I will spilt the top but I need the original front outside skin to stay in place until I build the widened outside skin and then cut the inside "now" inside skin out.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 24 2021, 06:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 23 2021, 07:48 PM) *

Rudy mentioned on facebook that he's going to remove the A to B pillar bars after he's done with chassis work, they were there just to keep the chassis straight during fab.

agree.gif
mbseto
Wow. This makes the rockin' world go round.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(mbseto @ Feb 24 2021, 10:47 AM) *

Wow. This makes the rockin' world go round.

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Curbandgutter
[CARNE.........IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dan10101
So Sexy!!

drooley.gif drooley.gif
mgp4591
That's a spicy meatball! aktion035.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Feb 25 2021, 08:44 PM) *

So Sexy!!

drooley.gif drooley.gif

agree.gif

Baby got back, then some

beerchug.gif

O
sixnotfour
Tirerrific !!!
tygaboy
WIDE you pick those tires? av-943.gif

Your traction makes me envious... Can't wait to see the fronts go on!
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 26 2021, 07:26 AM) *

WIDE you pick those tires? av-943.gif

Your traction makes me envious... Can't wait to see the fronts go on!

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif Don't know wide I choose them! I'm working on the fronts this weekend. I have to have the tire though since I can't have any rubbing issues. They're supposed to come in today but we shall see. I'm so stoked with the way it's coming out. You know you build it in your head and you think it's going to look a certain way........and then, after all that work it looks just like you imagined it......man that is an awesome feeling. I'm sure you know all about that! Once I have the fronts done then I will tackle installing the 7 radiators, then it's building a set of headers and down pipes for the turbos. I would like to get the car at least with the radiators installed and have a true roller by this summer......we shall see. But these fenders and rims have really put a lot of air in my sails. All of the work to this point has been hard and not as satisfying as seeing it come together with those fenders.
Curbandgutter
Moved on to the front. Had to compress the front wheel and turn both directions to make sure that the wheel would not rub. Also, the shot of the rear is still with 1" of uptravel before it bottoms out. I would like the at rest position to be 1" lower. I want 2" of uptravel.

1" uptravel left Click to view attachment

Compress and check for rubbing Click to view attachment

Cut out front half of fender outside face to widen the turn signal for LED projectors to fit in. Did what @JEff_Hail said to do since I couldn't get an outside skin in time, and his idea turned out to be better.Click to view attachment

widened 1" and insert LED Projectors in here. This also makes it so that the 3" extension on the front fenders (total of 5") doesn't look weird. Yes a jig for fronts as well. Click to view attachment

I think that I will have the drivers side front fender complete this weekend. The passenger side will be done in half the time. I spend a lot of time figuring and measuring but that's already known so it will be quick for fronts (4 hours or so).
76-914
Damn, your moving right along Rudy. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Rudy's 914 Got the meats like Arby's & the deep dish like a Chicago pie biggrin.gif
pete000
You win the widest 914 award hands down, I love it !
Krieger
DAMN! Can you just clear coat your car and call her the Stiched Bitch!?

Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 3 2021, 07:08 PM) *

You win the widest 914 award hands down, I love it !
Starting with the 996 suspension did the trick. aktion035.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 3 2021, 06:58 PM) *

Rudy's 914 Got the meats like Arby's & the deep dish like a Chicago pie biggrin.gif

Hey Marty, maybe I should call it Gino's East??
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 3 2021, 03:30 PM) *

Damn, your moving right along Rudy. beerchug.gif

It's amazing what you can do when you're not building a shop or collecting tools for a build. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Or building a chassis table, or chassis jig, or rotiserrie, or welding table, or plumbing a couple hundred feet of copper for air, or........you get the drift. I can actually spend my time building the car. I'm loving it!!

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 4 2021, 09:27 PM) *

Deep Dish be like ...now in Studio City on Riverside biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 4 2021, 10:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Glad slitting the fender on the crown worked out. I would have gone all the way back to the windshield post and just went RSR vented style at the rear. In any case keeping the original silhouette will look right and follow the original shape. Glad you went with it. Get a 3 inch long piece of pipe about 1-1/2 inches in diameter, debur and round the edges, use it for a dolly on the underside of the fender crown. It will look nice when you are done.

Marty stop that deep dish stuff. I was by the parlor on Monday and knew I should have stopped in for a take home pie. I have heard good things about Ginos. That picture did me in.
Curbandgutter
@maltese_falcon are you serious.......I had the best deep dish pizza ever at Gino's East in Chicago.....never had another like it, especially their sausage it's like no other. I'll be in Calabassas visiting family this weekend and will definitely stop by on the way. Thanks for the heads up.......even though it's not 914 related confused24.gif confused24.gif

@Jeff_Hail I have a crown in the fender but it's along where it ties into the face of the 916 flare. I wheeled it along the edge then put it in a die to really turn the edge See photos. Are you saying to lift the middle of the flare? By the way, it's funny that you mention the louvers since I've been mulling that around for the front fenders. That will release air from the radiators. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 5 2021, 09:54 AM) *

@maltese_falcon are you serious.......I had the best deep dish pizza ever at Gino's East in Chicago.....never had another like it, especially their sausage it's like no other. I'll be in Calabassas visiting family this weekend and will definitely stop by on the way. Thanks for the heads up.......even though it's not 914 related confused24.gif confused24.gif

@Jeff_Hail I have a crown in the fender but it's along where it ties into the face of the 916 flare. I wheeled it along the edge then put it in a die to really turn the edge See photos. Are you saying to lift the middle of the flare? By the way, it's funny that you mention the louvers since I've been mulling that around for the front fenders. That will release air from the radiators. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The second photo lets me see whats going on behind the wheel opening. I like what you are doing. The crown would be the top of the fender from the lamp opening to the cowl where you slit the fender and added material.

I was thinking hang the flare first then slit the top crown of the fender to widen the entire fender even more. It would bring the entire fender outward from the lamp to the door. Referring to rsr style would run along these lines and vent the rear of the fender at the door.

racerbvd
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 4 2021, 11:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ah man, now I want a pizza .
ValcoOscar
This build reminds me of this other mega-wide 914 beerchug.gif

O

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 5 2021, 10:46 PM) *

This build reminds me of this other mega-wide 914 beerchug.gif

O

Click to view attachment

The owner has it up for sale on InstaG
Chevy SB power
sixnotfour
REDRUM
Rand
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 6 2021, 08:52 AM) *

REDRUM

butta six

It's not butta face

Oh, itza

?) cool.gif
Curbandgutter
@SIXNOTFOUR OK I see what you did there. It's what Jeff Hail was talking about...the RSR look. Looks good but it's not the directions I'm going in.
Curbandgutter
So this is what the fronts are looking like. I decided to print up a louver system for the rear of the front fender and cover it in carbon fiber. It will be very recessed into the fender and will accentuate a curve coming out of the fender to mirror the 1/4 panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I await your vision ,, I just saw an opportunity to show REDRUM , built in SoCal early 80's...sitting in Utah..
914forme
Okay ah, I get the design placement but this would rule me out of sitting in either side.

Click to view attachment

I sold a 1994 M edition Miata jut because my head would hit the top bow, I just did not fit. Knowing that in my 914 with the seat cushion in place, my head could hit the rear hoop. in my old race car. The tie in bars while going into the tie ins for the angles and rear bars, that would be very close to my head.

I'm a bit bummed by this for two reasons, one I want you to keep your head on your shoulders with out adding a plate to cover the crushed area, and if you do fit with plenty of clearance, I will never be able to ride in this sweet build because I would have to remove my head and place it in my lap. Thus removing my enthusiasm for the ride, and creating quite a biological cleanup for you.

Please just check your fit before you become a crash test dummy.
rudedude
Is there enough room in the front fender to turn the wheel?
Andyrew
QUOTE(rudedude @ Mar 10 2021, 06:37 AM) *

Is there enough room in the front fender to turn the wheel?

Looks like about an inch from the wheel to the fender, Should be enough. He's got enough lip there to trim to make it fit perfectly if he needs to. Typically the 914's with wide fronts rub the inner fender.
Andyrew
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 10 2021, 05:29 AM) *

Okay ah, I get the design placement but this would rule me out of sitting in either side.

Click to view attachment

Its only there for chassis mock up to keep the car from twisting while he's doing all this work. He's mentioned a couple times he's going to remove the A to B bars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.