Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Curbandgutter
@914forme "I will never be able to ride in this sweet build because I would have to remove my head and place it in my lap. Thus removing my enthusiasm for the ride, and creating quite a biological cleanup for you".......... lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif you're crazy man! Yes, those bars will be gone. If you look closely they are only tacked on.

@rudedude if you look closely the lip is tacked on and I will adjust as needed when I put back on the ground and compress with about 600# of weights. Don't worry at the end of the day it will not rub cause I can sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

Jeff Hail
Looks good.
2mAn
So badass...
Curbandgutter
Thanks guys.

I semi completed all the fenders. I need to finish the rocker panels before I finish welding the fenders. I tried different bends to get to the final depth that I wanted. The final rocker will have a rubber strip and fastened like Marv's 6 project. Here are some update pictures.

This is how the the front wide-body is lookingClick to view attachment

bend cut try again Click to view attachment

getting closer Click to view attachment

this one ( 1.5" radius and offset along lower lip or Click to view attachment

this one ( 2" radius and no offset along lower lip) I think the previous one was starting to
look like crown molding Click to view attachment
watsonrx13
Well done Rudy. What gauge are you using for the rocker panels? Also, can you describe/show what you're using to shape/bend the metal?
siverson
Awesome - keep the updates coming!

-Steve
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 19 2021, 05:53 AM) *

Well done Rudy. What gauge are you using for the rocker panels? Also, can you describe/show what you're using to shape/bend the metal?

Im using 22 gauge on the rocker panels. I use a sheet metal magnetic brake to bend everything. I used a 2" pipe as a backer to get the brake to brake a radius as opposed to a sharp corner.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 19 2021, 08:22 AM) *

Awesome - keep the updates coming!

-Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm really pushing hard right now.
Curbandgutter
More update on the rocker panels. I just need to finish the ends.....that's easy. The hard part was getting these things to mount sturdily on the car and make them removable and allow conduits to pass through. I designed to give me flexibility to run whatever conduits I want in the rockers or the longs. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
76-914
You're having entirely too much fun Rudy. You may not want to go back to work after this. I was going to come by but I spent the last "2" days re-entering every invoice, deposit and pay check for the last 6 weeks. Friggin computers. headbang.gif We're leaving for TX to see the grandkids I won't get by for a couple of more weeks now. Hopefully I'll be back in time for the first drive! lol-2.gif BTW, it's looking really good Rudy. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Art and talent. Well done! You inspire all of us. Thanks for sharing!
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Mar 21 2021, 05:39 AM) *

Thanks bud. I am thinking on cutting down on the amount of pictures I post since it takes a long time to prep and it just seems that people care more of the finished money shot rather than the back of the house stuff. So next post will more than likely be the finished rockers, then the finished duck tail and then the finished hood. It will be easier for me that way. Later!
jd74914
I love the progress shots Rudy!

For me the slowest part is always resizing images. If that's your issue, I highly recommend installing ImageRisizer (now part of MS PowerToys). Then it's just a right click to resize and you're good to load. smile.gif

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

watsonrx13
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 23 2021, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Mar 21 2021, 05:39 AM) *

Thanks bud. I am thinking on cutting down on the amount of pictures I post since it takes a long time to prep and it just seems that people care more of the finished money shot rather than the back of the house stuff. So next post will more than likely be the finished rockers, then the finished duck tail and then the finished hood. It will be easier for me that way. Later!

I know it's time consuming to post these pic and the associated wording, but there are a lot of us that really enjoy the steps taken to get to the results. BTW, thanks for responding to my post regarding your sheet metal brake.
Curbandgutter
Side skirt metal work is done. Took 15 Riv nuts to install each side. Next is finish welding the fenders then on to the rear hood and metal duck spoiler. Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Strength test
Click to view attachment
Shivers
Very cool
barefoot
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 20 2021, 08:32 PM) *

More update on the rocker panels. I just need to finish the ends.....that's easy. The hard part was getting these things to mount sturdily on the car and make them removable and allow conduits to pass through. I designed to give me flexibility to run whatever conduits I want in the rockers or the longs.

Click to view attachment

I don't think those tyres are wide enough blink.gif
strawman
I, too, really enjoy seeing how you're planning, fabricating and executing. Please keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!!!
Curbandgutter
It's good to hear from the peeps that are interested. It seems that the nature of this beast is such that it has so much non-914 content that it automatically excludes an entire segment that would otherwise engage if it were something more of things that they would want to do on their car. At this point I'm adding pictures more for record keeping. Next step is to finish welding the flares. Hopefully I will start building the all metal duck tail (different from what is out there right now), cut up the rear hood to increase heat extraction, simultaneously lighten and stiffen the rear hood and build a trick mechanism to tilt the whole thing back.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 12 2021, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 20 2021, 08:32 PM) *

More update on the rocker panels. I just need to finish the ends.....that's easy. The hard part was getting these things to mount sturdily on the car and make them removable and allow conduits to pass through. I designed to give me flexibility to run whatever conduits I want in the rockers or the longs.

Click to view attachment

I don't think those tyres are wide enough blink.gif

You're right! beerchug.gif
strawman
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Apr 12 2021, 03:26 PM) *

... At this point I'm adding pictures more for record keeping.

I hear you! I've been building my Suby-powered 914 since 2008, and I have to go back and search what I posted to remember what weird parts I've robbed from other cars/motorcycles/etc. to make my car work. Don't worry about offending anyone in the 914 community with your creativity... these cars have been hot-rodded since the 1970s, and they're still a great canvas to modify, drive and enjoy.
Curbandgutter
@STRAWMAN thanks man!
pete000
You are very savvy with the metal !
Blue6
QUOTE(strawman @ Apr 12 2021, 02:48 PM) *

I, too, really enjoy seeing how you're planning, fabricating and executing. Please keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!!!

agree.gif cheer.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(strawman @ Apr 12 2021, 03:34 PM) *

I hear you! I've been building my Suby-powered 914 since 2008, and I have to go back and search what I posted to remember what weird parts I've robbed from other cars/motorcycles/etc. to make my car work. Don't worry about offending anyone in the 914 community with your creativity... these cars have been hot-rodded since the 1970s, and they're still a great canvas to modify, drive and enjoy.

I've started to update my first post in my thread with as much detailed info on parts as possible. Makes a huge difference. I'm constantly forgetting the little details.
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 13 2021, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Apr 12 2021, 03:34 PM) *

I've started to update my first post in my thread with as much detailed info on parts as possible. Makes a huge difference. I'm constantly forgetting the little details.

If your forgetting details at your age Andrew, I don't feel so badly. lol-2.gif Just like Geoff, I had to go back through my receipts and build thread several times during this 2nd conversion. In fact, I need to backtrack once again to find where I purchased the shifter knob. beerchug.gif
FL000
I am enjoying the seeing the build and your impressive skills. Can’t wait to see this beast in person someday! I am guessing documenting it helps with the motivation also so keep it up smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
strawman
I just chatted with Rudy about his plans for this car. Incredible stuff, to say the least. I'm hoping to stop by his shop in July when I'm down in his area to help my daughter and her husband move from Oceanside back to SLO County. Keep up the great work Rudy!
Curbandgutter
Thanks Geoff @strawman I finished welding the fenders and am now buttoning up some minor issues before I prime and add "minor" amounts of, dare I say it.............BONDO. stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif

I am moving on to the rear hood and duck tail, then suspension and front hood. At that point I will have a roller.......again!

As a side-note-flirtation-with-another-bastard idea, I heard and rode in Kent's car @76-914 and I got the bug to install a Twin Turbo Subaru Flat 6 G33 motor. That was summarily shot down once I discovered that no one makes an adapter anymore. The last time it was made, it was by Precision Chassis and for $2,200 + Clutch.......ouch! I understand that the process to mate the G33 to Cayman S is not easy. Someone suggested, cough cough Kent, then go with Subaru STI 6 speed. Then it will be a match made in heaven. wub.gif wub.gif However, I did a lil bit of homework and realized that those transaxles will not support big power as a front drive only. The ring and pinion is something like 2" less than the Cayman S........so I'M STICKING WITH 2.7 AUDI AND CAYMAN S. KENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BRING ANYMORE JEZZEBELS IN MY SHOP. I NEED TO FINISH THIS THING!!!!

THE CAR SHALL HENCETOFORTH BE NAMED 914RS4
76-914
Oh sure, blame it on me. You just got caught up in my exhaust's sound. drunk.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 5 2021, 08:34 PM) *

Oh sure, blame it on me. You just got caught up in my exhaust's sound. drunk.gif

But yours is so quiet Kent! It sounds almost like...a Subaru...for some reason. lol-2.gif
Andyrew
Ahh You stole the name I've been tossing around in my head for a couple years smile.gif

It suits your car better though smile.gif

Glad to see your still on the Audi kick! If you were local I'd give you a ride..

Remind me at WCR!!
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 6 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Ahh You stole the name I've been tossing around in my head for a couple years smile.gif

It suits your car better though smile.gif

Glad to see your still on the Audi kick! If you were local I'd give you a ride..

Remind me at WCR!!

Heck yeah, that will be fun. I do plan on going whether or not my car is finished. The name does fit and its easy to get the RS4 badge and place it next the 914 badge!
Curbandgutter
This will be the badge
Click to view attachment
FourBlades
This is one of my favorite builds. I love builds that involve a lot of fabrication and creative engine, transmission and suspension swaps.

I think I learned the most from these kind of builds. I enjoy the regular stock restoration and six conversions too.

John
RiqueMar
@curbandgutter - Nice meeting you at the Fallbrook / Mountain View run today. Didn’t know you are only in Marietta! I’m in Oceanside, let me know if you need any extra help! welder.gif
Curbandgutter
RADIATOR EXHAUSTClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SET UP TO WELD ATTACHMENT POINTS FOR CARBON FIBER EXHAUST AND INLETS Click to view attachment
WELD Click to view attachment
GRIND Click to view attachment
ROUGH BONDO WORK DONE ON FENDERS. WILL BE INSTALLING AN LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT IN THE TURN SIGNAL BUCKET Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Shivers
Very cool, can't wait for the next installment.
DRPHIL914
kind of has a 959ish look to it with the thresholds out over the rockers from fender to fender like that , very cool!
76-914
Looking good Rudy. I haven’t seen it for awhile. Looks like I need to get my butt by there soon and check it out. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Rudy -
That.
Looks.
EPIC!!!!

Wow. And having done a bit of fabrication, I can appreciate the time and effort you have in your build. And not just the actual fab work. I'd bet you have at least 2-3 times that in head-scratching and what-if'ing ahead of putting hands to metal. Not to mention the inevitable "Oh boy, I wonder if this will even work?!?"

Absolutely LOVE your ambition and execution. I can't wait to see your creation in person.
Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif wub.gif pray.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 19 2021, 06:04 AM) *

kind of has a 959ish look to it with the thresholds out over the rockers from fender to fender like that , very cool!

Yeah now that you mention that, I looked up a 959 image and sure enough, you’re right. Thank you
djway
SWEEEEEEEEET
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 19 2021, 08:46 AM) *

Rudy -
That.
Looks.
EPIC!!!!

Wow. And having done a bit of fabrication, I can appreciate the time and effort you have in your build. And not just the actual fab work. I'd bet you have at least 2-3 times that in head-scratching and what-if'ing ahead of putting hands to metal. Not to mention the inevitable "Oh boy, I wonder if this will even work?!?"

Absolutely LOVE your ambition and execution. I can't wait to see your creation in person.
Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif wub.gif pray.gif

@tygaboy Chris man you ain't kidding. The amount of work involved to get to this point is exhausting.......BUT WE LOVE IT DON'T WE??!! Thank you for the compliments. I'm working on the cantilevered suspension right now because I want to have a rolling chassis (AGAIN) by the end of August. After that it will be the metal duck tail and modified rear hood. Then front radiator and frunk, final twist test and then installing motor and start connecting the wiring and all plumbing.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 19 2021, 07:59 AM) *

Looking good Rudy. I haven’t seen it for awhile. Looks like I need to get my butt by there soon and check it out. beerchug.gif

@76-914 Come on over. If I get my primer delivered in time I will be epoxy primering the fenders and floor. Will then hit it with high build primer and move on to the suspension. Then rear duck tail and hood.
Curbandgutter
Headlights came in
djway
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jul 28 2021, 05:46 PM) *

Headlights came in

This should be interesting popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.