Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic 2016 *Official Thread*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
SLITS
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 11 2016, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 11 2016, 08:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 10 2016, 11:21 PM) *

How good is the tow truck coverage along the route?

Excellent ..... Juan Valdez & his donkey are readily available.

So they deliver coffee on the road too? Nice to know when you break down... just no more radical turnarounds offroad okay Ron?

Yep, just as long as the passenger doesn't drop the phone out the window while trying to take a picture .... poke.gif .... dry.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 11 2016, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 11 2016, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 11 2016, 08:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 10 2016, 11:21 PM) *

How good is the tow truck coverage along the route?

Excellent ..... Juan Valdez & his donkey are readily available.

So they deliver coffee on the road too? Nice to know when you break down... just no more radical turnarounds offroad okay Ron?

Yep, just as long as the passenger doesn't drop the phone out the window while trying to take a picture .... poke.gif .... dry.gif

OUCH - Someone just got "Toasted"... shades.gif
Cuda911
I forgot, who stood up on the table at the Palm Springs run last year and raised their phone into a spinning ceiling fan, thusly flinging it across the room?
euro911
That would be Elliot Cannon - the retired pilot ... who knows all there is to know about propeller thingies hitfan[1].gif

lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
Hey don't tease Elliot. I think he was dizzy from standing up so high. Oh wait that's right, he is still flying. Eeeek!
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 12 2016, 04:24 AM) *

Hey don't tease Elliot. I think he was dizzy from standing up so high. Oh wait that's right, he is still flying. Eeeek!

icon_bump.gif That's right. Don't tease Elyut. So he has a little nip or two before takeoff; what's the big deal? He claims it settles the anxiety attacks brought on by his acrophobia! blink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 11 2016, 10:57 PM) *

I forgot, who stood up on the table at the Palm Springs run last year and raised their phone into a spinning ceiling fan, thusly flinging it across the room?

He fell for the ol' "Hold your camera up high and get a better pic" trick. Oldest trick in the book! hide.gif
forrestkhaag
one / good for all event / rooms are booked

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
Is anyone interested in meeting at Lytle Cree Road on the 15 at Mikey-D's or the AM/PM lot (gas too) for a group drive across the desert from there?

Quite a few on the list will pass by this spot / maybe at generally the same time.

just a thought... beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 13 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Is anyone interested in meeting at Lytle Cree Road on the 15 at Mikey-D's or the AM/PM lot (gas too) for a group drive across the desert from there?

Quite a few on the list will pass by this spot / maybe at generally the same time.

Which route are you taking to AZ ? Seems like we have a group meeting upstCabazon... confused24.gif
StratPlayer
The list gets longer..... piratenanner.gif
76-914
Just secured a baby sitter for our dogs. Friend of my wife biggrin.gif She lives in OR. sad.gif Oh well, this trip is worth it.
SLITS
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 13 2016, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 13 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Which route are you taking to AZ ? Seems like we have a group meeting upstCabazon... confused24.gif

Well Jim, There are a couple of ways ....

1.) I10 to I15 to Barstow and pick up I-40

2.) I10 to 62 to Parker, AZ, then up 95 to I40 in Needles.

3.) Have no further ideas as they take you to far out of the way.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 13 2016, 07:59 PM) *

Just secured a baby sitter for our dogs. Friend of my wife biggrin.gif She lives in OR. sad.gif Oh well, this trip is worth it.

You're shipping your dogs to Oregon? poke.gif av-943.gif
forrestkhaag
Hey Jim / others: I am planning on taking off from Laguna and heading up 133/405/55/91/15 then pull in to Lytle Creek exit for a fuel up and meet up with anyone who wants to cross the desert in a relative grouping of cars that could exhibit similar roadside issues..... I am planning an early 5am departure putting me at the stop by 6ish.. your thoughts?

beerchug.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 14 2016, 12:01 PM) *

Hey Jim / others: I am planning on taking off from Laguna and heading up 133/405/55/91/15 then pull in to Lytle Creek exit for a fuel up and meet up with anyone who wants to cross the desert in a relative grouping of cars that could exhibit similar roadside issues..... I am planning an early 5am departure putting me at the stop by 6ish.. your thoughts?

beerchug.gif

You essentially have two I15s coming down from Cajon Pass as it splits below State 138.

I used to meet others at the 138 exit as there is a MickeyD's, and a few other things.
76-914
I'm sticking with my original stop in Cabazon. That is unless no one wants to meet up for breakfast, in which case I will run solo. poke.gif I can run solo as I don't have the 40 yo engine reliability issues that most have. Hey Elyut, bring an extra valve. happy11.gif And yes, it is way cheaper to fly 2 dogs than one human. shades.gif
euro911
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 14 2016, 11:01 AM) *

IPB Image
beerchug.gif
Butterflies are free, right? cool_shades.gif
forrestkhaag
gOOD sPOT...... your eyes are better than mine. I couldn't get past the rib cage as the butterfly is sitting on my Blau gas cap. Good news: The fin is parallel with the length of the car. av-943.gif
Cuda911
Definitely want to do a convoy. Keep the thread posted with an revisions from the original plan, OK?

I'll be headed up the 15 from San Diego.
forrestkhaag
So my suggested meeting point on the 15 is well along the way from several west coast departers... what time are you planning on leaving SD?

beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Looks like I'll be going as far as Laughlin on Wednesday. I'll be staying at the Aquarius. I am, after all a child of the sixties. What? Age of aquarius? The sixties? OK, never mind. I just hope I get up in time to be in Kingman in time for lunch. If I can stay away from the blackjack tables, I might be OK. See you all on the 21st.
Cuda911
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 15 2016, 04:07 PM) *

So my suggested meeting point on the 15 is well along the way from several west coast departers... what time are you planning on leaving SD?

beerchug.gif

I'm open to leaving San Diego at whatever time works for most. I'd like to hook up with the rest of the group at the Cabazon spot mentioned above.
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 15 2016, 09:34 PM) *
Looks like I'll be going as far as Laughlin on Wednesday. I'll be staying at the Aquarius. I am, after all a child of the sixties. What? Age of aquarius? The sixties? OK, never mind. I just hope I get up in time to be in Kingman in time for lunch. If I can stay away from the blackjack tables, I might be OK. See you all on the 21st.
I had the hots for Marilyn McCoo back then

IPB Image

76-914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 15 2016, 10:52 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I'm open to leaving San Diego at whatever time works for most. I'd like to hook up with the rest of the group at the Cabazon spot mentioned above.

I think Forest is wanting to start another staging area or he hasn't read thru. Nothing has changed as far as the Cabazon meet up, Mike. beerchug.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2016, 06:41 AM) *

beerchug.gif

I think Forest is wanting to start another staging area or he hasn't read thru. Nothing has changed as far as the Cabazon meet up, Mike. beerchug.gif

Cabazon is well out of the way for SD. He would probably be coming up the 215 and would have to make a right turn on 60 and go about 30 miles.
forrestkhaag
Have fun what ever route you choose. Added benefit to the Cabazon route is that gas is relatively cheaper in Cabazon. (The Indians told the EPA to blow in the wind)

I am simply suggesting that for those of us going north up the 15 toward the 40, means (for coastal folks) negotiating Riverside, Moreno Valley, Beaumont, and Banning before open desert driving if taking the 10E - then the 101 around Phoenix to the 17 North / and as a property owner on the Scottsdale/Glendale line I have driven that boring route dozens of times. And, if you hit the 101 at the wrong time trying to get to the 17N (other than at 1am) you can be in for a real thrill at 15 MPH to crawl up to the 17/ Been there - done that.

Have fun however you get there / I am out.

beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 16 2016, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2016, 06:41 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Cabazon is well out of the way for SD. He would probably be coming up the 215 and would have to make a right turn on 60 and go about 30 miles.

Up or down the 15? Up the 15 from SD one would exit 79 north to the 10 @ Beaumont then another 10 miles down the 10 to Cabazon. I thought Cabazon would be best because we can go the more traveled Hi Way for those harboring reliability issues or cut out the back way thru the desert as we did for Rt66 2014. BTW Ron, when are you heading out and which route do you favor? Any of you guy's need any travel parts e.g. clutch or throttle cable, critical DJet or LJet parts, points, spare CV bolts, etc. I've got most of this DJet 2.0 stuff sans LJet parts if any of ya'll need them as back up. Might want to bring a gallon jug of water if we cut thru the desert back roads.
SLITS
When I have gone to Flagstaff before, I go 215 to 15 to 40 and out 40 to Flag unless I have a passenger out of Las Vegas. If you are coming in from Cabazon, I would jump the 210 in Redlands to 215 in San Bernardino.

When we went to the River with the boat, I would wait at the 138 exit off 15 for the others to pass by and then jump on the 15. Like I said, there is a MickeyD's there and I don't remember the other ptomaine palace.

I gas up before I go and then again in Kingman (cheap). It's 4.5 hours from Riverside to Kingman.

Don't bother trying to run US66 out of Barstow for the thrill .... the asphalt has come apart from Newberry Springs to ? and it's hell on the 914 suspension (and your teeth).
mgp4591
The Californians....hmmm... popcorn[1].gif
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+ca...9&FORM=VIRE
Sorry. Had to do it... shades.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 16 2016, 01:24 PM) *

I would be insulted, but since you are from the land of women in shoe top dresses and combat boots ..... you get a pass, but Erc doesn't.

I should have posted about the Mountain Meadows Massacre.
StratPlayer
Glad I'm meeting up with my caravan in Vegas... aktion035.gif
SLITS
mnb jyfydiy';poi' p
worn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 18 2016, 11:59 AM) *

mnb jyfydiy';poi' p

This must make some sort of sense to y'all. Me I will be arriving from some sort of traffic less couple thousand miles. If I get close enough to the coast to rendezvous, it's gonna be listening to the surf instead of driving the classic. Don't tempt me.
mgp4591
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 16 2016, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 16 2016, 01:24 PM) *

I would be insulted, but since you are from the land of women in shoe top dresses and combat boots ..... you get a pass, but Erc doesn't.

I should have posted about the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

No insults intended... it's just all this talk about your roads in and out! We've only got 2 main interstates so maybe I've got road envy... driving.gif shades.gif
And if you know where to go, the Utah shit ain't harsh at all! smoke.gif
Cuda911
You guyses is bufuddling me on what route we are taking.
76-914
It doesn't matter to me but I think it best if we all go en mass. We get a lot of looks and there is safety in numbers. But seriously Mickey D's? What a shit hole. barf.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 18 2016, 06:33 PM) *

It doesn't matter to me but I think it best if we all go en mass. We get a lot of looks and there is safety in numbers. But seriously Mickey D's? What a shit hole. barf.gif

I never said, "Eat there".

It is merely a point on 15 that those who don't go to Cabazon could wait for those that did. Ya'll have to come by there if you do the LA Basin ..... Barstow ..... Kingman .... Flagstaff route.
Cuda911
Here's the route I was planning on:

StratPlayer
I was just in the Joshua tree nat park. Had a great time there, then we headed off for the valley of fire 40 miles east of vegas....
SLITS
Ok, for those of us that are coming from the Southern Left Coast, we have two routes we can take:

1.) 15 to Barstow to 40 to Flag. (433 miles)

2.) 10 to 62 thru Morongo Valley / Johusa Tree / 29 Palms to Parker, up 95 thru Lake Havasu City to 40 (21 miles outside of Needles) to Flag. (445 miles)

** distances are from Riverside, CA.

We can make a decision which route to take later as a group.

#1 has the ability to have AAA out of Barstow /Ludlow/Needles if needed and cell service along I-40

#2 has nothing, and I mean NOTHING between 29 Palms and Parker, AZ. Two lane road all the way. I don't even remember if there is cell service out there.

Just thought I would throw this out a month early.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 20 2016, 10:55 AM) *

Ok, for those of us that are coming from the Southern Left Coast, we have two routes we can take:

2.) 10 to 62 thru Morongo Valley / Johusa Tree / 29 Palms to Parker, up 95 thru Lake Havasu City to 40 (21 miles outside of Needles) to Flag. (445 miles)

#1 has the ability to have AAA out of Barstow /Ludlow/Needles if needed and cell service along I-40

#2 has nothing, and I mean NOTHING between 29 Palms and Parker, AZ. Two lane road all the way. I don't even remember if there is cell service out there.

Sounds like you're attending this year? Bringing lots of oil? poke.gif av-943.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2016, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 20 2016, 10:55 AM) *

Sounds like you're attending this year? Bringing lots of oil? poke.gif av-943.gif

Yep .... a case .... 12 quarts should get me there and back. bootyshake.gif
rick 918-S
Just moved the Alien out of storage here's "The List"

Click to view attachment

Forgot I have to install that nifty new 914rubber.com dash pad. May as well install my "S" cams while I'm in there messing around. assimilate.gif

Just like Gone in 60 Seconds, That's a Big list.... unsure.gif

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2016, 04:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Forgot I have to install that nifty new 914rubber.com dash pad. May as well install my "S" cams while I'm in there messing around. assimilate.gif

So, what? About a day and a half? biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2016, 06:07 PM) *

So, what? About a day and a half? biggrin.gif

That would be about right for Rick - it would take me 2 full days... smile.gif
forrestkhaag
SLITS figured it out..............
rick 918-S
Windshield is out, front lid is off. screwy.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2016, 08:20 PM) *

Windshield is out, front lid is off. screwy.gif

Are you talking about SLIT'S front lid? av-943.gif (Not really sure what that means). lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2016, 04:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I feel your pain Rick. I just sat down and put together my list as well....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.