Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic 2016 *Official Thread*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Kansas 914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 2 2016, 12:41 PM) *

Oh good. Now we have another person to watch when around our Jack plugs. happy11.gif

biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
There is one (1) remaining event Shirt available. Size Large (L). Price is twenty (20) dollars, shipping included.
First one to post here gets it.

P.S. - If you pre-ordered a shirt and did not pick it up at the event - I sold it.
914 Ranch
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 2 2016, 07:01 PM) *

There is one (1) remaining event Shirt available. Size Large (L). Price is twenty (20) dollars, shipping included.

P.S. - If you pre-ordered a shirt and did not pick it up at the event - I sold it.

The first one to post now?
SKL1
Looks like fun- great to see that many 914's in one place! Gonna have to pencil that in...

BTW, what was that white stuff??? Think my 914's are allergic to that!! I drove through too much of that crap when I first got my '71 in winter of 70/71 as it was my only car at the time!! No more snow for either one of them now.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 2 2016, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 2 2016, 07:01 PM) *

The first one to post now?

Sold. smash.gif
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 2 2016, 10:40 AM) *

I got home safe this morning. It went well except for the clogged idle jet I picked up in Barstow. Got home OK though. I think I parked too close to Kents subie conversion because I think some of the "Subie curse" rubbed off on my usually "fine watch" running type IV. av-943.gif It's good to be home from a great event. I hope everyone made it home safe. Thanks again to John Peterson "vegas racer" for another outstanding Rt66. How about someplace just a little warmer next year? biggrin.gif

agree.gif
Thanks John. Following you from Jerome was a peak experience for me, made even better by positive comments from Leamon.
I am in Denver. Morning started well as I realized I could bypass the interstate for awhile and head through the canyon of the Colorado river in northern Utah. Gorgeous and also sublime. In college I volunteered in the backcountry of Olympic natl park. Ten days alone at 19 far from anyone. No one really knew where I was. When it rained there would be several days I might not see anyone. Eight miles from the road. Well, I miss that. This morning I got to sit in the desert and just listen to nothing at all. Thanks folks. Very much.
Colorado on the other hand has been a curse. I realized I was leaking oil at an alarming rate. Uphill of Vail. Snow all around and I just had to pull over. Rain from the day before or perhaps pulling the wrong switch on my part had made the blinkers and flashers not blink. If I thought I could find a new relay I might fix it. Pulled over and sure enough I had been worned. Copper line to a pressure gauge and oil sender was spraying oil all over. Actually, Leamon mentioned that it seemed like a lotta oil when we were at Jerome. Shoulda listened. Well I had heard that a cracked line was possible, so I had packed the grease gun hose that most people use with the dual sender. But not the wrench needed to put it in. That would be a crows foot. So I used vise grips like everyone else would, but it wasn't really tight enough. I have a photo of the car at the road side that I hope to add. I probably was hyperventilating but I realized it was also about 10,000'. Added oil and made it to Denver.
Coloradoweenians have been kinder than kindest to me this week, but the delay brought me through on the I70 at five pm and I stayed in roughly the same location for about an hour and a half stuck between boy racers with $700 subarus with pop off valves in my ears and cowboy wanna bees still driving like it was Boston. Forgive me. A bit lost and fearing a stall with my funky starter and I was in no mood. Now it is either Sears or harbor for some Teflon tape and a crow foot wrench. Or a propane torch and I will bend what I have. Could go old survival school and start a fire in the parking lot with the cigar lighter, heat a wrench to red, and bend it, but I lost my hammer. Think I drove away with it lying there.
Donnas plane comes in soon, so I will probably be happier with someone who knows how to call the tow truck and arrange u haul. She is awesome, and I am sorry she didn't get to meet you. Well, not that she would have been... biggrin.gif
I am starting to think I might pull this off. Hope that don't jinx it. G'night.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ May 2 2016, 07:51 PM) *

agree.gif
Thanks John. Following you from Jerome was a peak experience for me, made even better by positive comments from Leamon.
I am in Denver. Morning started well as I realized I could bypass the interstate for awhile and head through the canyon of the Colorado river in northern Utah. Gorgeous and also sublime. In college I volunteered in the backcountry of Olympic natl park. Ten days alone at 19 far from anyone. No one really knew where I was. When it rained there would be several days I might not see anyone. Eight miles from the road. Well, I miss that. This morning I got to sit in the desert and just listen to nothing at all. Thanks folks. Very much.
Colorado on the other hand has been a curse. I realized I was leaking oil at an alarming rate. Uphill of Vail. Snow all around and I just had to pull over. Rain from the day before or perhaps pulling the wrong switch on my part had made the blinkers and flashers not blink. If I thought I could find a new relay I might fix it. Pulled over and sure enough I had been worned. Copper line to a pressure gauge and oil sender was spraying oil all over. Actually, Leamon mentioned that it seemed like a lotta oil when we were at Jerome. Shoulda listened. Well I had heard that a cracked line was possible, so I had packed the grease gun hose that most people use with the dual sender. But not the wrench needed to put it in. That would be a crows foot. So I used vise grips like everyone else would, but it wasn't really tight enough. I have a photo of the car at the road side that I hope to add. I probably was hyperventilating but I realized it was also about 10,000'. Added oil and made it to Denver.
Coloradoweenians have been kinder than kindest to me this week, but the delay brought me through on the I70 at five pm and I stayed in roughly the same location for about an hour and a half stuck between boy racers with $700 subarus with pop off valves in my ears and cowboy wanna bees still driving like it was Boston. Forgive me. A bit lost and fearing a stall with my funky starter and I was in no mood. Now it is either Sears or harbor for some Teflon tape and a crow foot wrench. Or a propane torch and I will bend what I have. Could go old survival school and start a fire in the parking lot with the cigar lighter, heat a wrench to red, and bend it, but I lost my hammer. Think I drove away with it lying there.
Donnas plane comes in soon, so I will probably be happier with someone who knows how to call the tow truck and arrange u haul. She is awesome, and I am sorry she didn't get to meet you. Well, not that she would have been... biggrin.gif
I am starting to think I might pull this off. Hope that don't jinx it. G'night.

The story just keeps getting better and better.

Safe travels the rest of the way and keep us updated until you get home!

Great to meet you - cheers!
Cuda911
Worn, thanks again for all your help in Flagstaff!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you here!!!

76-914
I'll add some pics this weekend as I'm swamped the remainder of the week. As others said, Hell of a Fine Rt66. Thanks, once again, John. This was the best meet yet, IMHO. It was freaky that mother nature had her way yet co-operated with our plans throughout the event. Talk about synced. If it rained it was when we were inside or on parts of the drive. If it was raining when we stopped at one of our destinations it would stop raining. confused24.gif Damn weird it was but worked for me. The flow of the event was great, as well. John really did a great job. No tense times; great food n drink'; no hotel or restaurant snafus. It was good seeing old friends as well as putting some faces with known members. It's really the members who make these events great or not so great so here is a big thanks to all that showed up. Weather brought out the die hards and ya'll helped make it happen. It's an honor knowing you guys. BTW, The Subaru Jinx never appeared either. Unless the Jinx jumped on Elyut's car when he parked next to me. Has anyone heard from Elyut? Did he make it home? beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 2 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Looks like fun- great to see that many 914's in one place! Gonna have to pencil that in...

BTW, what was that white stuff??? Think my 914's are allergic to that!! I drove through too much of that crap when I first got my '71 in winter of 70/71 as it was my only car at the time!! No more snow for either one of them now.

Beats me about the white stuff. Saw itin New Mexico Arizona, and Utah.exceptwhen we got to locations and it went away. No worries,no salt. Donna got here fine and the two of us will crawl across the heartland next two days. Those who don't know these guys are missing out.
forrestkhaag
Got in yesterday and had a no-event (or no Bad-event) drive from AZ to the coast via the 10 from Phoenix. The 914 performed very well in rain, snow, sleet, hail and sunshine - save a power loss at high altitude.

Thanks to all who made the drive and event possible.

Sidebar: Not too sure if some of these are repeat posts on photos but oh well....

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
And for those who didn't think Mark was a straight shooter......
76-914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 3 2016, 08:21 AM) *

You didn't happen to get a pic of Larmo's face, during the close call when he shit himself, did you? happy11.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 1 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Great seeing everyone again and meeting some new people as well! Thanks to John for organizing, Jason for rounding up raffle prizes and all of the vendors that donated! 914 Rubber and PMB in particular!!

Good times! Hope to see everyone in September at Red Rocks! driving.gif

Agreed!!! cheer.gif

And thank you Wills for procuring awards. They were pretty cool. first.gif beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SharonG @ May 3 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Great seeing everyone again and meeting some new people as well! Thanks to John for organizing, Jason for rounding up raffle prizes and all of the vendors that donated! 914 Rubber and PMB in particular!!

Agreed!!! cheer.gif

And thank you Wills for procuring awards. They were pretty cool. first.gif beerchug.gif

Is it too early to talk about RRC? Did I miss a posting?
sixnotfour

trying to keep attendance on the down Lowe
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 3 2016, 01:14 PM) *

trying to keep attendance on the down Lowe

Ah- I see what you did there (LOWE)......... smile.gif
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 3 2016, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 3 2016, 08:21 AM) *

You didn't happen to get a pic of Larmo's face, during the close call when he shit himself, did you? happy11.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

76-914:
No I didn't get a picture but his fully terrified visage is still burned into my memory.

After initial mashing of the brake pedal as we approached the oncoming vehicle, my iPhone took flight in an attempt to leave the scene and the lens had recently applied crap on it!! Mine and his!!

I would note however, that the average 914 steers a lot more accurately when one releases the 25 foot long four-wheel locked up skidding tires to apply a violent left half-turn of the wheel to narrowly miss the tailgate of the truck crossing its path.... this, followed by an equal and opposite cut right to return to the correct driving lane ... Some things are better left undocumented photographically.....
euro911
yikes.gif I didn't hear about that incident, Forrest. Is that why Lawrence left to go home early confused24.gif

poke.gif
brant
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 3 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Agreed!!! cheer.gif

ridgeway, Colorado
76-914
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 3 2016, 12:59 PM) *

yikes.gif I didn't hear about that incident, Forrest. Is that why Lawrence left to go home early confused24.gif

poke.gif

Well it was either that or he needed a 2 day head start just to maneuver Hi way 89 in his F-914. happy11.gif Check out Forest' passenger seat next time you see him. Looks like a little piece of the seat cushion is missing. lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(brant @ May 3 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 3 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Agreed!!! cheer.gif

ridgeway, Colorado

Cool! We ate at the True Grit when we were in Oray right?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 3 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Yep - "I can see Ridgway from my house". biggrin.gif

PS: Hurry up and finish your Raspberry car and bring it to Red Rocks. The guys at Route 66 kept calling my car pink! mad.gif

biggrin.gif

worn
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 3 2016, 05:13 PM) *

PS: Hurry up and finish your Raspberry car and bring it to Red Rocks. The guys at Route 66 kept calling my car pink! mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Not pink at all. A very pleasant red. Better perhaps than many Porsche vow reds, like the Bahia one I am working on where a paint spill looks like I took the easy way out sad.gif

Made it to grand island Nebraska. Wasn't informed about the Nebraska archipelagos before. Fixed the oil leak. I was loosing a quart in maybe a hundred miles. Engine compartment and passenger rear are besmirched. Stopped at a lumber store in Nebraska. Sorry about my Colorado tirade: it had been a long day. I will say that the stock fi and however high that pass is we're well matched. Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet biggrin.gif .
Matty900
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ May 2 2016, 09:58 AM) *

So glad I made the drive for the RT66 event. I had a great time and no matter the weather conditions it was an adventures, & the 914 handled it very well.
John thanks again for all you have done year after year for this event. I won the Dash from 914rubber.com to say I was shocked and humbled is a understatement What a great way to end the night. Thanks 914 Rubber..Will send pix after install..

Don, Mike D & I toke Hwy-A89 south home at 620am WOW that is a great road.
My two friends and I met over the 914 starting about 25 years ago. And we are still traveling together to events like Rt66. I am so lucky to have Don Cameron & Mike D as friends for life, who share the same passion as I for this little car.
Thanks guys for a great trip.

smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations on the dash, Hopefully you will have on the car for West Coast Rally in a few weeks and we can see it in person. Should be and easy trip for you now that your all warmed up from Route 66 driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(worn @ May 3 2016, 09:28 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Not pink at all. A very pleasant red. Better perhaps than many Porsche vow reds, like the Bahia one I am working on where a paint spill looks like I took the easy way out sad.gif

Made it to grand island Nebraska. Wasn't informed about the Nebraska archipelagos before. Fixed the oil leak. I was loosing a quart in maybe a hundred miles. Engine compartment and passenger rear are besmirched. Stopped at a lumber store in Nebraska. Sorry about my Colorado tirade: it had been a long day. I will say that the stock fi and however high that pass is we're well matched. Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet biggrin.gif .

Logged lots of miles on that highway in the Alien. Had my share of breakdowns too. It's how we have to roll from these parts to get to a place in the country where the straight lines on the two lane black top get wavy.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 3 2016, 07:13 PM) *

biggrin.gif

poke.gif lol-2.gif
It's because you're such a good sport Mike!
mgp4591
QUOTE(worn @ May 2 2016, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 2 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Beats me about the white stuff. Saw itin New Mexico Arizona, and Utah.exceptwhen we got to locations and it went away. No worries,no salt. Donna got here fine and the two of us will crawl across the heartland next two days. Those who don't know these guys are missing out.

It was great to meet you Worn - what a major cruise you took on driving out here! Happy I could share some of the history surrounding the canyon and all with you and good to see your progress heading home. Choose your brick size carefully- I hear it can affect your insurance rates.... shades.gif
RARE 6

biggrin.gif

You must have a mighty tall periscope to see Ridgway from Durango. But I can see the San Juans above Ridgway from my front door.
True Grit is good. Our favorite in the Adobe Inn for Mexican food.
Dates for this event? For Red Rocks?
mgp4591
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ May 3 2016, 09:14 PM) *

biggrin.gif

You must have a mighty tall periscope to see Ridgway from Durango. But I can see the San Juans above Ridgway from my front door.
True Grit is good. Our favorite in the Adobe Inn for Mexican food.
Dates for this event? For Red Rocks?

Uh... have you ever met Mike? If he stands up and says he can see something, I believe him! shades.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ May 3 2016, 08:28 PM) *

Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet biggrin.gif .

Warren,

Glad to hear your travels are progressing nicely now. I ma sure your wife is too - cheers!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 3 2016, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 3 2016, 07:13 PM) *

biggrin.gif

poke.gif lol-2.gif
It's because you're such a good sport Mike!

It is easy to be a good sport around good people! It was good to see you again - cheers!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 3 2016, 11:21 PM) *

Uh... have you ever met Mike? If he stands up and says he can see something, I believe him! shades.gif

av-943.gif
worn
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 4 2016, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ May 3 2016, 08:28 PM) *

Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet biggrin.gif .

Warren,

Glad to hear your travels are progressing nicely now. I ma sure your wife is too - cheers!

I think it is a wrap. I made it home last night. I had a great time. Roughly 4000 miles added to the odometer. I would imagine I am the last one home. 10 days in the 914 seat.

The last leg was more oil bleeding. Sorry environment. The last 100 miles I was just adding oil to get home. Sprayed all over the rear of the car and gave me the smoked tail light look. May have to dip the car to clean it.

Am thinking of pulling the motor. It has about 10k miles but they have been pretty hard miles. If anyone can tell me where a leak is that sprays from the upper right part of the motor would be I would appreciate it. First suspect is still the oil sender, but could a main seal failure do this? Gets a lot worse when it is hot and I have a cast iron
selling oil pump without the o-ring.

Thanks folks.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Glad to hear you finally made it home, Warren aktion035.gif

Possible 'prone to leakage' components in that area of the motor you can check on:

1. Oil pressure sender - sometimes they leak around the crimped portion (replace sender) ... or from the threads (use teflon tape).

2. Oil cooler seals (replace seals) I smear them with a little wheel bearing grease to help them stave off oil seepage ... I do the same with valve cover gaskets) idea.gif

3. Oil filter console (replace gasket).

4. Oil pump cover plate (replace gasket).
worn
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 5 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Possible 'prone to leakage' components in that area of the motor you can check on:

1. Oil pressure sender - sometimes they leak around the crimped portion (replace sender) ... or from the threads (use teflon tape).

2. Oil cooler seals (replace seals) I smear them with a little wheel bearing grease to help them stave off oil seepage ... I do the same with valve cover gaskets) idea.gif

Thanks. I am not sure I want to even play with it for a week or so, but autocross season is coming up... wish the 911 wasn't engineless on the lift.
76-914
Hah! I know that feeling. Looked at mine yesterday and thought sheeplove.gif it. It will be a week before I can bring myself to wash it. Temporary 914 overload. blink.gif
brant
I did a valve adjustment tonight. Put all of the now dry carpets back in

Really clean/dry underneath and haven't found anything bad yet in the inspection
palmer_md
I've not been working on the 914 recently and not been reading much here either. My family took a vacation to the Grand Canyon for the last week of April, and as we were leaving on Friday driving the RV back out to HWY 40 what did I see? A long line of 914's heading in the other direction. I got very excited about it, but the wife was not impressed. It was great to see all the awesome cars (even if only for a few seconds). You guys picked a better day to head to the canyon on Friday rather than Thursday. Thursday was whiteout conditions and you could not see anything. Tuesday and Wednesday were very nice although a bit cool, but not cold.

Ok, not I've got to get back out to the garage and finish my car so that I can join everyone on one of these adventures.
76-914
Yep, just another case of divine intervention. shades.gif
76-914
A quick update on the Rt 66 decals. Just received this PM from Jamie (oldschool) with whom the order was placed.:

""Hey buddy I'm so pissed about my guy not getting the stickers on time,We lost our reg. vendor (will not print low quantity) so we used a new guy believe it or not I still haven't
received the order.
Here is what I want to do, when we get them I will ship to each person free. and you don't have to pay for the stickers.
BTW we get enough stickers request that we just ordered and sticker printer/Cutter
so we will never have to wait again.I'll keep you posted.""

If you ATTENDED Rt66 you might want to forward your address to Jamie if you want one. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(worn @ May 6 2016, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 5 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Thanks. I am not sure I want to even play with it for a week or so, but autocross season is coming up... wish the 911 wasn't engineless on the lift.

At long last I found the oil leak. Nothing major, just a 13 mm hole in the engine leaking oil. I bought a new set of 2.0 heads to build a 2056 with from the 1.7 that came out of my 3.2 car. Well, the heads were vented, but the 2.0 heads in the '76 are not. So, I plugged both vents with aluminum plugs turned to fit tight. Hmmm - the vent tube simply either blew or fell out, plug and all. On the left side I found both plug and tube had loosened such that the tube pulled out with no force. I have gone back to the lathe and made up new plugs that I plan to JB weld into the heads.

My reasoning is A) they stopped venting the heads, B) the push rod tubes provide passage into the case, C) the case is vented to the air cleaner. So what could possibly go wrong, other than what happened to me and resulted in about two gallons of oil spread out over America's highways and nature? I mean, where does the pressure come from? Oil filling up the pushrod tubes and blow by through the valve guides?

Resurrecting an old thread, but to me this will truly finish the trip since I hope to drive the car more easily without bleeding oil. Odd - oil is so clean!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 15 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Resurrecting an old thread, but to me this will truly finish the trip since I hope to drive the car more easily without bleeding oil. Odd - oil is so clean!

It is always nice to solve a problem on these cars!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.