Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic 2016 *Official Thread*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
914_teener
So we're no meeting at McDonald's. We're eating at a jail now? blink.gif unsure.gif
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 17 2016, 03:37 PM) *

OK, spoke with Ron today and, as he is quite familiar with that area and a few local jails, he is going to select a restaurant on the 15 and north of the 10 that the SoCal group can congregate. Watch for his post later this week! beerchug.gif

Works for me or we could meet at the In&Out in Barstow.
rick 918-S

Have to toss in the towel on this one. I couldn't get into the doc for another round of shots. I'm canceling our reservations tomorrow. Anyone on the fence or didn't get the discounted rate and want our rooms send me a PM before tomorrow.
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2016, 06:19 AM) *

Have to toss in the towel on this one. I couldn't get into the doc for another round of shots. I'm canceling our reservations tomorrow. Anyone on the fence or didn't get the discounted rate and want our rooms send me a PM before tomorrow.

Bummer. Hopefully your alright! sad.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2016, 07:19 AM) *

Sorry to hear this of course.

I hope you get in to see your doc and get to felling better - cheers!
mgp4591
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2016, 07:19 AM) *

I was looking forward to seeing some more of your good work, but health reasons are not to be ignored- get what you need, get better, and we'll see you next round!
914_teener
Hey Rick....PM me ..I dont have a room yet.

Sorry you can.t go.
brant
going to miss seeing you Rick!
brant
cross post, I want to order asap

does anyone know which of the cheap ebay hi-torque starters is the correct one that doesn't eat the flywheel?

started the car in the garage last night for 20 minutes... starter did the occasional hot start issue, I'm going to try and replace it before the trip

need to get something asap though

Kansas 914
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 18 2016, 03:29 PM) *

does anyone know which of the cheap ebay hi-torque starters is the correct one that doesn't eat the flywheel?

started the car in the garage last night for 20 minutes... starter did the occasional hot start issue, I'm going to try and replace it before the trip

Remember Rick Ollah solved his issue by replacing the cable from the battery to the starter. If your is really old or original resistance can build up within the cable itself. I would have never though it could happen but Rick says it can so "I'm A Believer".
Cuda911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 17 2016, 02:37 PM) *

OK, spoke with Ron today and, as he is quite familiar with that area and a few local jails, he is going to select a restaurant on the 15 and north of the 10 where the SoCal group can congregate. Watch for his post later this week! beerchug.gif

Perfecto, will keep me eyeballs peeled.
76-914
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 18 2016, 02:29 PM) *

Hell Brapmh, don't sweat it. Just show up and we'll push start it. What 914 event doesn't have a few push starts? confused24.gif beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Since I blew my motor Saturday, I started getting my "other" 914 ready for the trip.

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 18 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Since I blew my motor Saturday, I started getting my other "914" ready for the trip.

Looks legit to me!
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 18 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Since I blew my motor Saturday, I started getting my other "914" ready for the trip.

Click to view attachment

Didn't that burn your lips? confused24.gif stirthepot.gif There will be empty seats so don't sweat it. beerchug.gif
euro911
I've driven more Toy914otas to events than real 914s wink.gif
Larmo63
Like the Tour de France, I'll be a "chase vehicle."
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 18 2016, 07:32 PM) *

Like the Tour de France, I'll be a "chase vehicle."

You can borrow my Mustang and be the lead car...... smile.gif
Click to view attachment
brant
Crappy car night with more problems

I said I would test drive by 4/1 so I could of solved these problems before now

I need to pull the alternator now

Going to bed
Steve
I have a noisy fuel pump and decided to replace it. It turned into a two week ordeal with gas all over the garage and multiple orders to Pelican and Pegasus for parts. I should be able to start it up today and check the lines. I thought it was a stock 3.2 pump, but OTTO's installed a racing GT pump.
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 18 2016, 09:21 AM) *

Hey Rick....PM me ..I dont have a room yet.

Sorry you can.t go.

Rob has a room as soon as we make the swap.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 19 2016, 06:21 AM) *

I have a noisy fuel pump and decided to replace it. It turned into a two week ordeal with gas all over the garage and multiple orders to Pelican and Pegasus for parts. I should be able to start it up today and check the lines. I thought it was a stock 3.2 pump, but OTTO's installed a racing GT pump.
Click to view attachment

Does your car have carbs? That looks like a low pressure pump to me. Am I wrong? Get rid of that cheap-ass plastic fuel filter. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 18 2016, 11:38 PM) *

Crappy car night with more problems

I said I would test drive by 4/1 so I could of solved these problems before now

I need to pull the alternator now

Going to bed

Brant, Do the Ed test first. Take a jumper cable and clamp it from the neg terminal to the starter and try to start the car. I had a positive cable that looked NOS on the outside but was dropping enough voltage to cause the car to fail to start intermittently. Caused the volt meter to show a no change condition on and off. I did everything you are describing.

Changed the starter with new ones including a bosch reman 3 times, Changed the voltage regulator, changed the alternator, lastly installed a new battery, then called Ed. I would never have believed this was the problem. Infact I would have lost a serious amount of money betting if I would have been challenged on it.

Clamped the cable on with Ed on the phone and the engine cranked like new when just prior It would grunt, groan and then fail to start.

Lesson learned. Check the cables first.
Steve
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 19 2016, 10:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Does your car have carbs? That looks like a low pressure pump to me. Am I wrong? Get rid of that cheap-ass plastic fuel filter. biggrin.gif

It's a high pressure GT3/993 Fuel pump. I am running stock DME fuel injection. I was worried that foam from the fuel cell was getting into the pump, so I added a cheap fuel filter on the inlet side.
SLITS
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 15 2016, 06:34 PM) *

Flashback photo from the 1st Route 66 Classic in 2005.

If we run old 66 thru Ashfork, we can take an updated photo. The last time I went through, the building was still there.

Cool photo ... Breakfast there was a FEAST!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 19 2016, 10:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks like a nicer version of the Walbro pump all the import tuners use. I qualify as an import happy11.gif
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2016, 12:56 PM) *

If we run old 66 thru Ashfork, we can take an updated photo. The last time I went through, the building was still there.

So have you picked the spot, yet? hide.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 20 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Yes, but no restaurant of your liking! Will post later.
914_teener
Ok...took Rick's reservations...but apparently there are some rooms available still.

Taking the 911 with the Nissan motor it it. I can be sweeper if need be. The teener still has no shocks...so is looking very doubtful.
StratPlayer
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 20 2016, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 20 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Yes, but no restaurant of your liking! Will post later.

Ron make sure you find a place that serve's fried toenails, Kent's favorite.. lol-2.gif

worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2016, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 13 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Agreed here as well.

This event, unlike many others in the Porsche genre, is for drivers, riders, and lookers - not polishers and car storage facilities.

Being there (as *Chance would have it) is the whole thing with the 914 Rt 66.

Being There
* Chance the Gardener: Yes! There will be a Route 66 drive in the spring!

Benjamin Rand: Hmm! (Thinking If only I were younger"....)

Chance the Gardener: Hmm! ( Thinking.. "if only I knew how to drive a car"... )

President "Bobby": Hm. Well....., Mr. Gardner,..... I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.

[Benjamin Rand applauds] (As he now realizes that he is only as young as he chooses to live - and with the Rand fortune , he could buy Jerry Seinfeld's 914-6 GT and two or three of his homes in the bargain just for lagniappe - and then make the Rt 66 run in style..)

President "Bobby": I admire your good, solid sense. That's precisely what we lack on I-40 and all other roads NOT leading to Flagstaff.

Let's do the Rt 66!.

beerchug.gif

poke.gif I want two of whatever your taking, Forest. Shirley was HOT in the "bedroom scene".

You know when that movie came out I got a lot of , well I was kidded for having the same name as "Warren". He likes to watch".

worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2016, 05:19 AM) *

Oh, Rick! I was counting on you and your beautiful co-pilot. Well, my son is down here from up north today and I bought him a truck. Can I send you something heavy? Man I am gonna miss having someone else with a fish belly tan.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 20 2016, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2016, 05:19 AM) *

Oh, Rick! I was counting on you and your beautiful co-pilot. Well, my son is down here from up north today and I bought him a truck. Can I send you something heavy? Man I am gonna miss having someone else with a fish belly tan.

Planning to leave Monday. Car not currently running. Situation normal.
Coondog
Still a little early but weather forecast is PM showers on Thursday and Friday..
SLITS
Ok, God willin' and if the creek don't rise here is my plan .....

From Riverside, Flagstaff is 433 miles or about 7 hours driving the av-943.gif "speed limit". Arizona is cool because it goes to 75 as you cross the border.

Anyway, For those leaving the "LA Basin", the best route is I15/215 to 40 (Barstow) and then on and on out I40.

I propose we meet at the State Route 138 exit off of I-15 at the bottom of Cajon Pass. I'm not big on breakfast when I'm in travel mode. A Sausage McMuffin with egg and coffee (lots of coffee) and I'm good to go.

The 138 exit is where Pearblossom Highway meets I-15 so we can buddy up with the Lancaster/Palmdale group (as I remember someone mentioning at the G&R).

Further, John (Vegasracer) expressed the desire for the Vegas convoy to meet up with the SoCal convoy in Kingman at 12:00 for lunch at the hamburger stand. Then he is thinking about running old 66 out of Kingman to Seligman where you rejoin I-40.
This will give me a chance to see if the ladies on the roof in Seligman are wearing panties again.

Anyway, since the drive to Kingman is 287 miles (5 hrs) we would be well advised to meet at the 138 exit and leave there no later than 7:30 AM. That would put us into Kingman at about 12:30 PM hopefully.

Comments are welcome about this or any other meeting point.
Chris914n6
"Start nite" became "no gas in the rear nite" sad.gif

Guess what I'm pulling out again headbang.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 20 2016, 09:39 PM) *

Ok, God willin' and if the creek don't rise here is my plan .....

From Riverside, Flagstaff is 433 miles or about 7 hours driving the av-943.gif "speed limit". Arizona is cool because it goes to 75 as you cross the border.

Anyway, For those leaving the "LA Basin", the best route is I15/215 to 40 (Barstow) and then on and on out I40.

I propose we meet at the State Route 138 exit off of I-15 at the bottom of Cajon Pass. I'm not big on breakfast when I'm in travel mode. A Sausage McMuffin with egg and coffee (lots of coffee) and I'm good to go.

The 138 exit is where Pearblossom Highway meets I-15 so we can buddy up with the Lancaster/Palmdale group (as I remember someone mentioning at the G&R).

Further, John (Vegasracer) expressed the desire for the Vegas convoy to meet up with the SoCal convoy in Kingman at 12:00 for lunch at the hamburger stand. Then he is thinking about running old 66 out of Kingman to Seligman where you rejoin I-40.
This will give me a chance to see if the ladies on the roof in Seligman are wearing panties again.

Anyway, since the drive to Kingman is 287 miles (5 hrs) we would be well advised to meet at the 138 exit and leave there no later than 7:30 AM. That would put us into Kingman at about 12:30 PM hopefully.

Comments are welcome about this or any other meeting point.

Ok...I'll be there in the red Z. Busy at work...just not gonna get the NARP together.
mgp4591
It sounds like I won't be alone without a car... maybe all of us can form the NECTARP contingency, bringing up the rear and picking up the pieces that may fall off. Not Even Close To A Real Porsche... shades.gif
jim_hoyland
Whats the latest I could leave Huntington Beach to meet up with you- taking into consideration the traffic of course.... smile.gif
Steve
I show an hour and 20 minutes from Laguna Niguel, so I am shooting for a 5 am "ouch" departure time. This should give me time enough for traffic and time to eat an evil egg mcmiffin.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 21 2016, 06:00 AM) *

I show an hour and 20 minutes from Laguna Niguel, so I am shooting for a 5 am "ouch" departure time. This should give me time enough for traffic and time to eat an evil egg mcmiffin.

What route are you taking out of OC ? I'm thinking 22 to 55 to 91 >
76-914
Alrighty then, McNure's it is! I'm pretty sure they do serve an occasional toenail. biggrin.gif How are those lungs, Jim. Ready for a work out? happy11.gif
SLITS
As you exit I-15, the McD's is on the right ... takes two right turns. Also, there is a dirt area (no CWs allowed) on the onramp to I-15. I'll park the Exon Valdez there for reference. Those wanting a stomach ache can go to McDs or the other ptomaine palace (which I don't remember what it is).

Anyway the plan is in place. Hopefully the Vegas crowd will wait for us!

Anybody bringing a tow rope? biggrin.gif sad.gif dry.gif
76-914
Might want to plan on cooler temps as well. Currently the 10 day forecast for Thrs/Fri local is 59/26, Sat 67/38. beerchug.gif
MoveQik
We'll get there around lunch time on Friday. Any clue as to where the tour might be at that time?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 21 2016, 08:43 AM) *

We'll get there around lunch time on Friday. Any clue as to where the tour might be at that time?

We will be arriving from Durango about the same time (lunchtime Friday). popcorn[1].gif
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 21 2016, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 21 2016, 06:00 AM) *

What route are you taking out of OC ? I'm thinking 22 to 55 to 91 >

I-5 north to 55 north ,91 east, 15 north
AZ914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 21 2016, 07:36 AM) *

Might want to plan on cooler temps as well. Currently the 10 day forecast for Thrs/Fri local is 59/26, Sat 67/38. beerchug.gif

I wouldn't worry about the 'forecast' yet... They are usually off by a few days. Hopefully we will at least have some sunshine.
AZ914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 21 2016, 07:43 AM) *

I imagine the tour will be up at the canyon around lunch, maybe getting back early-mid afternoon? That is just a guess but I imagine folks want to be around when the Friday people roll in.
AZ914
Anyone from the PHX area heading up on Thursday afternoon?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.