Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
mb911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2017, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 5 2017, 05:32 AM) *

The other thing I have found is a wheel for a grinder brand name is Norton rapid strip wheel. About 8 bucks online. I removed everything to bare metal on my front wheel well and gender in 15 minutes on a standard 4.5 inch grinder.

If that Norton Rapid strip wheel one that looks like a Sponge on Steroids then agree.gif . Those things are vicious and they leave the metal alone while producing very little heat. They last forever, too! beerchug.gif

Yup that's the one..
euro911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2017, 12:35 PM) *
If that Norton Rapid strip wheel one that looks like a Sponge on Steroids then agree.gif . Those things are vicious and they leave the metal alone while producing very little heat. They last forever, too! beerchug.gif
agree.gif they do the trick ... but they definitely don't last forever. I keep a couple spares in the tool chest.
Larmo63
I'm now whittling down my list of more hard purchases I need to make. Did I mention that this is an expensive little project? Keeping my eye on the prize.

Click to view attachment
mb911
What did you use for tensioners? Old school with safetys?

And yes expensive just sent my case out today ugh
Larmo63
Carrera set coming soon. You can see the right hand chain box nuts are off. It has new 930 tensioners with safety collars, but....

I'll be selling them.
mb911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 6 2017, 03:31 PM) *

Carrera set coming soon. You can see the right hand chain box nuts are off. It has new 930 tensioners with safety collars, but....

I'll be selling them.

Safety collars are the way to go. Carrera tensioners are waaay to expensive and don't offer and advantage over collars. My engine is all apart right now for crank, rods, case, pistons etc and I won't use carrera again.
euro911
I agree ... I like the safety collars too.
Larmo63
Well, there are two schools of thought here. I'd rather not shell out the $$$ for them, but some swear by the oilers. I see tons of engines without them. This is what I have:

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 6 2017, 03:31 PM) *

I'll be selling them.

Are those banks marked L&R? That is definitely the right bank when sitting in a 911. I wonder if the 2 liter 914 OEM 6cyl is the same? Or opposite because of how it sits in the 914? blink.gif
Larmo63
I know, Kent. I had to think if that is the left, or the right.

I'm drinking wine now and I don't really care.

beer3.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 6 2017, 06:09 PM) *

Well, there are two schools of thought here. I'd rather not shell out the $$$ for them, but some swear by the oilers. I see tons of engines without them. This is what I have:

Click to view attachment

Use them..

I have had 4 911s over the years and the carrera tensioners are fine but not worth the money if you have collars.
Larmo63
I have two transmissions and I need to make a decision as to which one I'm going to use. The clean one was out of a car that was a 914 racer. I don't know anything about it, but it could have an LSD in it for all I know. It could be completely rebuilt (it looks nice) and have bitchin gears in it. I know nothing about 901 trannies.

I guess I'm about to learn.

The dirtier one is my original that seemed to work well that was in the car when I bought it. Greasy mess.

Will you guys walk me through the scary part of pulling the gear set out to look at it?
IronHillRestorations
Unbolt the flange on the side with the cover, and take the cover off and see what kind of diff it's got.
Steve
Easy to tell if it's got an LSD. Turn the flange and see if the other side spins at the same time. An LSD comes in handy for a high HP narrow bodied car. Helps eliminate throttle induced over steer.
euro911
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 8 2017, 10:31 PM) *
Easy to tell if it's got an LSD. Turn the flange and see if the other side spins at the same time ...
in the same direction
76-914
Lowrance, buy Dr. Evils video. All of your questions will be answered. I have all of the 901 tools you'll need.
mlindner
+1 Dr. Evils videos, just great. Watch it about three times then dig in. Just got done with mine, flipped 3rd and 5th and new 4th, new first gear slider and all new syhros and dog teeth. Out side all cleaned up ready for a light coat of paint. Lots of fun...... Best, Mark
Dave_Darling
Checking the diff is done with the input shaft held stationary [EDIT--] AND WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR. If you have an old clutch disk hanging around, you can slide it on the input shaft splines and stick a clamp or a vise-grip on it to keep it from rotating. If you don't have an old clutch disk, you can probably rig up something else to hold the input shaft still. Doesn't have to hold up to a lot of torque.

Grab one output flange, and turn it one direction. If the other flange turns the opposite direction, you have an open diff. If it turns the same direction, you have a limited-slip of some kind. If it doesn't turn at all, check that the input shaft is being kept from spinning.

--DD
forrestkhaag
Larmo / I think I have Dr, Evil's set from an earlier purchase along the way.. You can borrow
euro911
A set? ... I only have a single DVD - is there more than one disc confused24.gif ?
mlindner
Yes two, first take it apart, second disc put back together. Both side shift and tale...little on 911 901. Mark
euro911
I just got mine back ... I loaned it to another member here a couple of years ago.

EDIT: I checked and indeed, there are two discs in the case confused24.gif
Larmo63
I finished up painting the engine compartment, it's not great, but I'm not building a show car. This car will be driven. I installed the excellent Tangerine Racing firewall shift rod bushing, struts from firewall to consoles, complete oil tank is in, and a few other odds & ends.

I wish my photos wouldn't auto rotate. If I could get them straight. I'd post pictures.

Don't tell me to rotate them, I tried everything. Maybe tell me HOW to rotate them?
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
One more thing; how do you thread the SS fuel line in through the tunnel?

I had to quit, because I was getting too frustrated. It seems impossible.

I know it can be done.
euro911
Really? ... one is easier than two, but I had someone help with the installation of the TWO we installed in the 'BB'

Get Forrest Hump to give you a hand with it
Larmo63
Click to view attachment

Will the taller PMO manifolds be an issue in fitment?
colingreene
Wont really know till you actually stick it in there will you....
porschetub
Did he mention what aircleaners to be used in his has build??? not sure.
Larmo63
These carbs were in a 911, so I assumed they were going to fit in my 914. I'll wait until the engine is in to decide which air cleaners will fit.

Or, some one with a /6 conversion can let me know how close their filters are.

I think they will work, only an inch or too difference on these manifolds.
'73-914kid
Stock 911 airbox won't fit. (Crashes into engine lid) Hell, the stock airbox is close with the factory length intake manifolds on my car, and I've gone back and lowered the front of the engine by 1/4 inch... If you run the PMO K&N watershield combination, you will probably have to trim the passenger side rain hat away from the aft engine bay bulkhead. That extra 1.5 inches or so makes a pretty big difference.

In all likelihood, standard K&N filters without rain shields will probably fit not problem.

Are those the PMO "tall" manifolds?
Larmo63
They are taller than stock. 100mm is what they look like they measure out to.

I started on cleaning up the extra trans I have, It looks rebuilt, the fluid is perfectly clean, so I'm going with that one, keeping the original one for the car as a back up.

So far, so good....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I installed the engine tin seals, on the rear one, which side goes up? The wider skirt, or the narrow?

I forgot.
Larmo63
I bought a set of engine tin from Bruce, it's off to be powder coated and picked up the RSR deep sixes today.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Though they're not ideal, the K&N air filters with the Weathershield air cleaner housings are a reasonable way to solve the clearance issues.
Steve
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 16 2017, 06:58 PM) *

Though they're not ideal, the K&N air filters with the Weathershield air cleaner housings are a reasonable way to solve the clearance issues.

That's what I ran, never had any issues with them.
t collins
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 1 2017, 08:18 AM) *

These carbs were in a 911, so I assumed they were going to fit in my 914. I'll wait until the engine is in to decide which air cleaners will fit.

Or, some one with a /6 conversion can let me know how close their filters are.

I think they will work, only an inch or too difference on these manifolds.

As best as I can measure in the car , my PMO intakes are 85mm tall and with the K&N filters and rain hats they just barely clear the rear bulkhead.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
My K&Ns fitted without weathershields just the top cast alloy piece on ,I very much doubt the weathershields would clear in my situation,I didn't have a lot off space from the bulkhead ,you need to allow for a small amount of engine movement also.
With the stock manifolds I have room to fit the original plastic air filter and the lid will close but I had to cut off and reposition one of the spring clips so I could latch it up.
I have noticed the stock air cleaner is a fair amount quieter than the K&Ns but takes up a lot more room biggrin.gif .
There isn't a lot wrong with the original not when you compare aftermarket ones ,they all seem to have drawbacks of some kind or another dry.gif .
Larmo63
I finally took the plunge and cut an access hole in the firewall. I'm actually surprised at how easy it was. I had a spare firewall piece, and I made a great hatch for it. It fits tight, and appears to be completely fireproof.

confused24.gif
Krieger
You will be so happy you did that. A friend of mine convinced me to do it.
Larmo63
I'm pretty frustrated now. Things going slow.
TravisNeff
Have a completion party and invite some folks over to help get it done. It looks like you are down to just installing the engine and a couple little things? You are almost there.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 06:32 PM) *

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to list the whole project for sale. I'm over it. Too much disappointment and frustration.

I don't think I can finish this thing, maybe someone else wants to take a shot? I'll probably part this mess out.

This is the moment you most need to carry on. Been there, done that. Felt the same way.

If you sell it now, someone reaps all the reward with only a sliver of the input. It will be worth it...if you doubt that, come by for a lunchtime drive.
euro911
Oh gimme a break, will ya? :violin:

On second thought - How Much? laugh.gif

poke.gif
wndsnd
Lawrence, stick with it. When you drive it all your hardships will turn into big smiles of satisfaction.

I'm still fussing over details, and have to stop myself to just go out and drive.

Keep the faith dude.
76-914
I can't remember the number of times I issued that edict during my Subaru conversion. Considering the number of folks that had done Suby 6's support was marginal at best. If I hit a brick wall, I moved onto something that I could do. By moving back n forth thru tasks it eventually happened. You just need a beer or 3. beerchug.gif Kent
SO.O.C914er
Are you serious Lawrence I can't see you throwing in the towel at this point. Take a break and enjoy a good drink beer3.gif
Larmo63
<----just so fucking frustrated
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 08:09 PM) *

<----just so fucking frustrated

Been there, done that with this type of conversion. Let me know if you want a hand over the weekends getting over the "hump"

One drive in a 914-6, and all the stress will become worth it.

Pm me for my cell number if you want it.. happy to help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.