Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Larmo63
MFI prices are downright scary. People are usually selling parts and pieces of various year systems separately. It seems like a monkey puzzle to go back and try to put a whole system together unless you luck into it. Plus, the whole pulley and belt on the back of the cam business....
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *

MFI prices are downright scary. People are usually selling parts and pieces of various year systems separately. It seems like a monkey puzzle to go back and try to put a whole system together unless you luck into it. Plus, the whole pulley and belt on the back of the cam business....

Looked like MFI was gonna cost me what I had in the whole conversion, or at least a good chunk of the way there. And, as you note, there's the hassle of piecing a system together. Unless I luck into one somehow, I think I'll be running Webers for some time to come—or convert to Motec, Link, Rasant, etc.

Curious: Is your now-carbureted 914 super smelly compared to its old fuel-injected four-cylinder self? Mine is. My better half doesn't like it when the car stays in the home garage overnight, and I have to admit it is indeed smelly when I go out into the garage. Reminds me of my childhood garage, with two carbureted, air-cooled VWs in the garage. The world has come a long way since then in terms of auto emissions...
mb911
Pete that is what my experience is with it. I kept my mfi heads so I can go fuel injection at some Point as there are folks who make injector adapters for the mfi ports.. I have thought about just using my carbs as throttle body's then..
Larmo63
My car does smell a bit, a cross between oil & gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I'm not so sure what it holds more of; gasoline, or oil.....!
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 26 2017, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *

Looked like MFI was gonna cost me what I had in the whole conversion, or at least a good chunk of the way there. And, as you note, there's the hassle of piecing a system together. Unless I luck into one somehow, I think I'll be running Webers for some time to come—or convert to Motec, Link, Rasant, etc.

Curious: Is your now-carbureted 914 super smelly compared to its old fuel-injected four-cylinder self? Mine is. My better half doesn't like it when the car stays in the home garage overnight, and I have to admit it is indeed smelly when I go out into the garage. Reminds me of my childhood garage, with two carbureted, air-cooled VWs in the garage. The world has come a long way since then in terms of auto emissions...

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to look at a 2.7 with MFI throttle bodies and air cleaner, but with modern FI and coil on plug ignition. I'll take lots of pics
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 27 2017, 09:48 AM) *

My car smells of gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I noticed a reduction in smell when I went back to the stock aircleaner from the K&N's,seems the fumes don't get out as much.maybe they just hang over the top of the carbs confused24.gif .
Lawrence you can tell us the results when you get your aircleaner ?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 26 2017, 01:48 PM) *

My car does smell a bit, a cross between oil & gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I'm not so sure what it holds more of; gasoline, or oil.....!

Yep. PRECISELY what I've experienced. So I guess it's part of old carbureted cars, which really were dirty in more ways than one, and one more reason I like fuel injection. Then again, carbs sure sound gud. smile.gif
horizontally-opposed

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 26 2017, 01:51 PM) *

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to look at a 2.7 with MFI throttle bodies and air cleaner, but with modern FI and coil on plug ignition. I'll take lots of pics

Please do! beerchug.gif

Curious about a potential induction change down the road. I like the 2.2 a LOT, and it makes great power with—to my complete surprise—really nice torque low down. So the engine is pretty efficient. But the carbs are smelly, and my sense is they are to blame for pretty awful fuel economy. A teener shouldn't be in the teens when it comes to MPG.
GeorgeRud
With today's fuels, I think carb's lives are coming to an end. Even the venerable Quadrajets are being replaced with simple bolt-on, self tuning, electronic fuel injection systems.

However, fewer things sound as good as Weber sucking down air right behind your head in a 914-6!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2017, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 27 2017, 09:48 AM) *

My car smells of gasoline, although not really in the interior. I don't have issues when driving either, but it smells like a race shop in my garage and I have a tidy garage.

I'm getting used to it.

I noticed a reduction in smell when I went back to the stock aircleaner from the K&N's,seems the fumes don't get out as much.maybe they just hang over the top of the carbs confused24.gif .
Lawrence you can tell us the results when you get your aircleaner ?

Makes sense with the K&N as I believe the carb float bowl is vented to atmosphere.
flyer86d
I really never noticed the gas smell from my 3.2 short stroke 911sc track car except when it running because it was rich on the bottom to smoothly get thru the transition to the mains.

I bought a couple of 2.4 MFI systems when all of my friends were ripping off the MFI to replace it with Webers back in the 1980s. How far we have come. I used the the 2.4E system on our 73 911T when I upgraded the original engine to E spec. I always loved the way that engine ran. Great power but very driveable. I still have a complete 2.4S system that I was planning to use but I would rather trade it for a complete running 3.0 SC engine or a complete 3.2 engine.

Charlie
Larmo63
I ordered these new from Partsklassik and in the meantime the stock airbox popped up in the classifieds here. I can now give Ethan's K & Ns back to him (and get him to put a little tune on my carbs?) soon.

I know that the different air cleaners/airboxes have differing effects on the torque curve on these engines. I can't wait to try the big stock box on my engine.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I'm driving the car regularly, and I can now say it was all worth it. The pissing, moaning, head scratching, and complaining.

It's already a pretty good little driver, all in all.

I may do a little body work next, but I'm enjoying it immensely, it's a bit surreal that it really works.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2017, 09:12 AM) *

I'm driving the car regularly, and I can now say it was all worth it. The pissing, moaning, head scratching, and complaining.

It's already a pretty good little driver, all in all.

I may do a little body work next, but I'm enjoying it immensely, it's a bit surreal that it really works.

Click to view attachment

It's got to be a real sense of accomplishment first.gif I was fortunate to see the car in person it came out great! Jealous of the seats!
white914.jpg
ndfrigi
Good to hear ur enjoying the conversion after that long patience! Last Temecula Fun day I thought ur just moving the car but I noticed you, Keith and Forrest living the place. Didn’t get the chance to drive ur car!!! hehehe
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2017, 08:08 AM) *

I ordered these new from Partsklassik and in the meantime the stock airbox popped up in the classifieds here. I can now give Ethan's K & Ns back to him (and get him to put a little tune on my carbs?) soon.

I know that the different air cleaners/airboxes have differing effects on the torque curve on these engines. I can't wait to try the big stock box on my engine.

Click to view attachment

I found that the rain hats were only about 3/4 inches above the velocity stacks with the "stock" standoffs....suspect they were shrouding the airflow & so went to ITG's. Can you get dyno runs with these and then the big stock airbox? Would sure be nice to see....
IronHillRestorations
ITG's are good, as long as your car will never sit parked in the rain. 914-6 have been known to hydro-lock.

The stock air filter housing flows amazingly well. Of course it was designed by Porsche after all.
Coondog
Glad it all worked out. Hopefully we can meet up and cruise PCH together.
boogie_man
Congrats dude as you have to be beyond happy about now smile.gif Can't wait to hear it in person piratenanner.gif
Larmo63
I'm doing euro front lenses with a switch to turn these on independently. The warts will be getting removed.

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Well, you know I have been following your build off and on, and not regularly enough, and now I see you are driving. CONGRATULATIONS!

These are wonderful cars with the six as you suspected, and now you will realize just how wonderful they are and you will be paid in spaids for all your hard work.

Hats off to you my friend. I wish you were closer so we could enjoy a beer but now you Get even more enjoyment as you tweak performance and break her in. First time you hit 7000 rpm you will be unnerved, but realize these engines are ready for it so let her scream.

Have fun!

John
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 5 2017, 07:39 PM) *

I'm doing euro front lenses with a switch to turn these on independently. The warts will be getting removed.

Click to view attachment

Did you consider Spokes LED board. There Ace's but more importantly since you've dropped a stromberg.gif load of money into that car they increase your presence, greatly!
Larmo63
Will it fit under the crossbar on a stock '73 engine lid? I'm pretty sure the snorkel won't clear the firewall....

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Depends on your manifolds Lawrence,mine is tight in there,but more about the rear bulkhead than height as I have stock 71 manifolds.
I notice the crossbar support could be an issue if you have taller manifolds that's the high point of the aircleaner as far as I can see or near enough.
This is the area where the snorkel fits on to the main housing,the snorkel can be cut but as it is a steel one it has a lot of value with the early 911 folks,get the plastic one and cut away as you need like the MFI ones...all good.
Larmo63
I think it will fit, but it runs into my fuel pressure gauge set up. I'm not sure if I want to re-engineer it all.

Hmmmm..... confused24.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 14 2017, 01:29 PM) *

I think it will fit, but it runs into my fuel pressure gauge set up. I'm not sure if I want to re-engineer it all.

I found the same ,ok with the K&N's,luckily I was able to tweak the pressure regulator mounting bracket towards the rear bulkhead, this give me clearance (just) and I was able to read my pressure gauge better.
Good luck.
gereed75
I have two plastic boxes. I like the look but am running K&N’s with rain hats. With all of the spitting that my car does through the carbs I am concerned about melting the plastic.

Anyone have recent experience ??
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 13 2017, 04:29 PM) *

Please PM me if you decide to sell it or the K&N setup. I just need filtration at this point in my conversion parts accumulation.
porschetub
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 14 2017, 02:52 PM) *

I have two plastic boxes. I like the look but am running K&N’s with rain hats. With all of the spitting that my car does through the carbs I am concerned about melting the plastic.

Anyone have recent experience ??

My engine had really screwed up carbs to start with ,2 blocked enrichment noozles,broken air bleed screw ,spitback melted the RH of the stock plastic air cleaner,careful work with a heatgun sorted it,so far my indications are you will have spitback when the engine is cold that's normal common sense dictates you warm it up (hand throttle ) ,if jetting/balance/timing and other factors are right you won't melt anything once up to temp if all is correct.
These air cleaners are very well designed as Perry suggested,I went back remembering what the late great Bruce Anderson said,no gain on the K&N's ,they dyno tested and the K&N's and lost 1hp,he then went on to say he was worried about filtration and recommended the paper filter ,I'am using one.
IronHillRestorations
Nice airbox. If you can find a spare snorkle, there's a vintage mod where you cut off some of the snorkle.

The 914-6 snorkle points the opposite way of a 911
mb911
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Oct 14 2017, 04:55 AM) *

Nice airbox. If you can find a spare snorkle, there's a vintage mod where you cut off some of the snorkle.

Do you know why it pointed opposite direction? Does it interrupt with anything in particular?? I bought a steel one and everything is already powdercoated..
Keith914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 14 2017, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Oct 14 2017, 04:55 AM) *

Do you know why it pointed opposite direction? Does it interrupt with anything in particular?? I bought a steel one and everything is already powdercoated..

The snorkel base is not perpendicular to the long axis of the car, you will see when you mount it the snorkel fits pointing to the passenger side .
Larmo63
It's really crazy how close that 911 engine really is.....It looks like a little monster hiding in there....

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 19 2017, 08:26 PM) *

It's really crazy how close that 911 engine really is.....It looks like a little monster hiding in there....

Click to view attachment

agree.gif and it looks great!
Larmo63
I'm going to attempt to re-seal my rear window and re-do my sail panel trims. My question is this: Do I apply the butyl to the window, or the frame?

I think it is the frame the way Ruffino does my windshields.

Just checking........??
76-914
The frame but before you do that be sure that little clip is in place. It helps support the glass. Then tilt the top of the glass back towards you as you offer it up to the opening. Once the bottom of the glass is where you want it push the tilted glass to mate with the upper portion. Do you save that piece you cut out for the fan. I need to do some patching on Red. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I think it went into the circular file....

Wait, what clip?
Coondog
What happen to Forrest, I miss his post ??
SO.O.C914er
Run Forrest run av-943.gif booyaa
Larmo63
Forrest bailed out to Arizona.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 20 2017, 08:57 PM) *

Wait, what clip?

My 76 has a small screw and clip dead center on the frame. It's not big enough to provide sealing pressure; only vertical support. Maybe it was only on later models? confused24.gif I haven't done the 73 or 70 so I don't know about those models. Forrest quit Photo Bombing once he finished his project. av-943.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 20 2017, 07:57 PM) *

Wait, what clip?

Not sure about a clip, but there should be two rectangular rubber pads that rest under the bottom of the window to keep it from moving down vertically.

Shea did a thread that is now in the classics. Read up!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15821
Larmo63
I'm going to let Ruffino install the back glass. I attempted it, but in a black chassis it's hard to see what you're doing. I'd rather pay him the $45 to do it. Getting the Targa bar pad off of these cars is always an adventure, finding those elusive screws and not stripping them. Also, the DAPO had all kinds of shit jammed up between the window and the pad to get it to not rattle. It was time to suck it up, and take it all apart. I doubt that the rear glass has ever been out of this car in 45 years. It was basically hanging in the car by a thread.

In the meantime, I re-did the roll bar & sails with the excellent 914 Rubber German vinyl. (cheap plug)

It's bit tricky, but it came out nice.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I had an idea to do 911 style headliner material on the underside of my targa top. Today I bought some ivory/off white pin point vinyl and did the deed. for my first attempt at this, it turned out pretty good. I know what I would do differently next time; maybe line it with black hard cell foam(?)

Here is the stuff:

Larmo63
Finished product:

Click to view attachment
drem914
Nice work... beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 1 2017, 02:05 PM) *

Finished product:

Click to view attachment

Dang! That looks good. I like it. beerchug.gif Did you put it over the perlon?
white914.jpg
Larmo63
No, the Perlon is long gone. I don't think it would work at all over Perlon. It does brighten up the interior.
horizontally-opposed
Cool mod, and I always liked this stuff.

And, you say, it brightens up the interior. smilie_pokal.gif
flyer86d
It looks great! Did you just glue it to the top?

Charlie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.