Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
porschetub
Check with Clewitt about the crankfire pulley,hopefully it isn't different,I used the 10 x 710 and no issues for a short time till it started making noise,not slipping just a PITA noise turned out I had worn pulley faces,ordered a new outer and hope that fixes it otherwise I will get my fan hub machined.
Be careful to set the belt tension right as the bearings in these altenators are fairly small and you don't want to strain the magnesium outer housing as I did and the fan blades rubbed.
Getting close Lawrence aktion035.gif .
SixerJ
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2017, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 14 2017, 09:41 PM) *

9.5x710 or 10x710 should be correct. Did you move any shims between the pulley halves yet?

agree.gif

Great progress! Fairly sure my 2.4 engine has or rather had 3 or 4 shims (have to admit I haven't done the last 2 services / alternator had to be replaced in that time frame)

I do clearly remember the 1st time I did the belt, and it's amazing how much of a difference even adding or removing a single shim makes. I had to go out and buy some more the 1st time I did this job and also keep some in a packet tucked into the tool kit
McMark
Just run a tape measure around the pulleys. 710 is 710mm is 28". The PET specifies 725 for 76-79 911. That might be your target. But I'd just measure it and round down since the belt sits down in the upper pulley, you're measurement would be the MAX size, not the ideal size.
Larmo63
Or, I look for a 82mm pulley half.....?
mepstein
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Aug 16 2017, 01:58 AM) *

9.5x710 or 10x710 should be correct. Did you move any shims between the pulley halves yet?

agree.gif

Great progress! Fairly sure my 2.4 engine has or rather had 3 or 4 shims (have to admit I haven't done the last 2 services / alternator had to be replaced in that time frame)

I do clearly remember the 1st time I did the belt, and it's amazing how much of a difference even adding or removing a single shim makes. I had to go out and buy some more the 1st time I did this job and also keep some in a packet tucked into the tool kit

The pulley should have 6 shims. Adjustment is just moving the shims in front or between the pulley halves but never removing them completely.
Larmo63
Yes, all shims are present and accounted for.
McMark
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 16 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Or, I look for a 82mm pulley half.....?

Sure... but you can head down to your FLAPS and get a belt today.

There is something about pulley sizes, ratios, and rotational speed. But I don't feel like looking all that up. tongue.gif
Larmo63
I believe that a larger pulley turns slower.....?
euro911
Which did you change (go larger with)? ... Crank pulley or alternator pulley?
Larmo63
10 x 725 belt fits perfect......

Click to view attachment

euro911
thumb3d.gif ... then you'll have it up and running this w/e? driving.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2017, 05:23 AM) *

agree.gif

The pulley should have 6 shims. Adjustment is just moving the shims in front or between the pulley halves but never removing them completely.

Six shims,not for the early motors 2 to 3 as far as I know but this a later motor so that may explain it?
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 17 2017, 01:30 PM) *

10 x 725 belt fits perfect......

Click to view attachment

Not sure, looks very low in the top pulley,perhaps a few less shims,the belt should be level with the top of the pulley halves or there abouts,try that.
It needs to sit as your crank pulley or a little under.allowing for initial belt stretch.
When its right you will have a really small deflection,around 10-12mm cause its a short belt,otherwise you may need something slightly longer if it appears too tight.
McMark
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 16 2017, 10:40 PM) *
Not sure, looks very low in the top pulley,perhaps a few less shims,the belt should be level with the top of the pulley halves,try that.
It needs to sit like your crank pulley.

If it's tensioned correctly, why would you care how low it sits in the upper pulley?

The whole shim-based tensioning scheme pretty much guarantees the belt won't sit like the bottom pulley. If they wanted it to sit at the top every time the shim setup is a bad choice and a std pulley with tensioner would more effectively accomplish that.

And... the higher the belt sits in the fan pulley, the longer the belt is. The belt sitting at the very top means that's the longest belt possible. And that means that if the belt stretches a bit over time, you have no more room for adjustment.

I think the right, or better, answer to 'Where should be belt ride?' is... Anywhere, as long as:
1. The belt is tensioned correctly.
2. The belt sides are fully contacting the pulley walls.
porschetub
Way I was taught,have edited my reply ok Mark.
Larmo63
The belt deflection is close to 10mm in this set up.

I'm happy with it.

Engine goes in tomorrow.
Larmo63
The belt has room to break in and stretch + the shims can come out.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
By the way, when we had the heads off, we measured the pistons and they are 84mm. That means this engine is really a 2.4. We think the cams will give us milder "S" type performance numbers, along with the porting work we just did.

Oh, and also by the way, I was told the engine was built to a 2.7 spec and I bought it as such................ Oh well.

I think it will be a fun car, nonetheless.
Krieger
piratenanner.gif Dude, your almost there!
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2017, 04:28 PM) *

By the way, when we had the heads off, we measured the pistons and they are 84mm. That means this engine is really a 2.4. We think the cams will give us milder "S" type performance numbers, along with the porting work we just did.

Oh, and also by the way, I was told the engine was built to a 2.7 spec and I bought it as such................ Oh well.

What the hell ,it will still go really well with that combo,nothing wrong with what you have,you should make 160-180hp easy aktion035.gif aktion035.gif .
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 16 2017, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2017, 05:23 AM) *

agree.gif

Six shims,not for the early motors 2 to 3 as far as I know but this a later motor so that may explain it?

Even 3.2's use 6 shims.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 17 2017, 09:12 PM) *

Engine goes in tomorrow.

Your halfway there. happy11.gif
Larmo63
Get ready for it.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
And we have a winner!

B I N G O

Click to view attachment
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
Larmo63
Still a few things to order and a lot to hook up and check, double check, & triple check.
drem914
Looks great. Like the engine color. Glad you kept going.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2017, 02:24 PM) *

And we have a winner!

Click to view attachment

Outrageous!!!

clap.gif
Coondog

And we have a winner!

Click to view attachment

Crap yours is going to be done before mine......
ndfrigi

And we have a winner!

Click to view attachment

Congratulations sir Lawrence! now ur car will be at the Temecula Fun Day!
Steve
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
All right! The first 90% is done!

Now on to the second 90%, and after that you'll only have 90% to go...

--DD
914dave
Congratulations! Now get that thing sorted.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 17 2017, 08:28 PM) *

Are your carbs setup for a 2.4 or 2.7? Looks like your main jets might need to be changed out.

https://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs/Web...et_Settings.htm
Larmo63
Yes, set up for 2.4 S spec.....!
Larmo63
I remembered that the day the /4 blew up, we did a nice corner balance/stance on the car and I drove it home in a somewhat "spirited" way.

I can't believe how low it is now, it's been a long time since I've seen it with a motor in it (it's been on jack stands).
The stance is pretty solid.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2017, 05:34 PM) *

I remembered that the day the /4 blew up, we did the corner balance and stance on the car. I can't believe how low it is, it's been a long time since I've seen it with a motor in it (or that it's been on jack stands).

Click to view attachment

If it is any consolation I have never seen mine with a motor in it. Bought it that way. sad.gif
Yours is looking really good with motor in place and your making great progress. smilie_pokal.gif Hope to catch up!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2017, 04:34 PM) *

I remembered that the day the /4 blew up, we did the corner balance and stance on the car. I can't believe how low it is, it's been a long time since I've seen it with a motor in it (or that it's been on jack stands).

Click to view attachment

That does look bad-ass...
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2017, 05:34 PM) *

I remembered that the day the /4 blew up, we did a nice corner balance/stance on the car and drove it home in a "spirited" way.

I can't believe how low it is, it's been a long time since I've seen it with a motor in it (or that it's been on jack stands).

Click to view attachment

poke.gif Anyone with Tool Box's that large should have finished 9 mo's ago. happy11.gif
euro911
Those are just gardening tools poke.gif

Looking good 'Goob'
Larmo63
Funny, those are Trudy's "tools." She has all of her art shtuff, colored pencils, paint pens, stencil crap.

Why is it that my "stuff" is my stuff, and her "shit" is her shit?

My tools are over by my workbench.
euro911
Oh, OK. I thought I saw the bailing wire, plumber's tape, duct tape, a hammer and a crowbar in there laugh.gif
Larmo63
Just to let those who wondered about the Patrick Motorsports engine mount; we found it very easy to install and align the engine. Probably took us about 45 minutes to bolt the engine/trans lump, all in.

Putting on the aftermarket engine tin actually proved to be more of a challenge!
Larmo63
I spent the day installing stuff. Clutch cable, accelerator cable set up, and speedo cable.
Tightening up all oil lines, check, double check. It's easy to miss something. I am familiarizing myself with this ignition system, Clewett wires need to be shortened and finished on the coil(s) end.

Still lots to do and, a few things to order.
horizontally-opposed
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Way to go! Car looks GREAT, and is gunna drive even better.
forrestkhaag
Tortoise and Hare? Jesus Christ Almighty. I grind out a solution to a problem every half hour on this conversion thing and when it hits the boards it's hand wringing time on your beautiful ride -not riding........... .

As my lovely wife said so many year ago,..... Git a Job Sir. ( Big Laboskie ((SP)) )

Your car needs to sprout legs and preamble.

You are surrounded by guys ready to assist. Time is up. Over.

Sidebar: With friends like me,........... WTF.gif ........ sheeplove.gif ...?

Hope to see your ride at Temecula.............. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 19 2017, 05:56 PM) *

Tortoise and Hare? Jesus Christ Almighty. I grind out a solution to a problem every half hour on this conversion thing and when it hits the boards it's hand wringing time on your beautiful ride -not riding........... .

As my lovely wife said so many year ago,..... Git a Job Sir. ( Big Laboskie ((SP)) )

Your car needs to sprout legs and preamble.

You are surrounded by guys ready to assist. Time is up. Over.

Sidebar: With friends like me,........... WTF.gif ........ sheeplove.gif ...?

Hope to see your ride at Temecula.............. beerchug.gif

Dang Forrest, you didn't post a bunch of your car's pic's his thread! Are you mad at Lawrence? lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif sheeplove.gif bye1.gif
Larmo63
More instruction reading, hooking up stuff, and wiring going on.....

Click to view attachment
Matty900
Car is looking awesome!!! first.gif keep up the good work.
porschetub
stop pissing around get the bugger going OK lol-2.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.