Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Maltese Falcon
Letters of Transit ...#40 originally made its way to the USA via Air Freight , small treasure found in the glove box.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
flag.gif
davehg
My restorer may have an extra set of 908 calipers, NOS, but not cheap. He’s got one of the Stoddard GT cars. Holler if interested and I’ll hook you up.

I co- exec - produced the 2015 documentary of Le Mans, Steve MCQUEEN: The Man and Le Mans. During filming, our directors were able to find the missing 1M feet of footage shot for the film. Somewhere in my various hard drives I recall footage of the #40 car and other 914s during a number of the original setup shots with the drivers, if I can remember correctly. I did remember being pleasantly surprised to see these videos, which had no sound. When I can get into my storage locker I will see what I can find and share.

Magnificent car, and happy it stayed in the US. I would love to see it in person one of these days.
Maltese Falcon
The King of Cool on the LeMans set with his Solar Productions Co., straight outta' Hollywood.
#40 making a cameo appearance on pit row, to the left smile.gif
Ferrari driver maybe Masten Gregory ¿
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 2 2020, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2020, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 26 2020, 01:24 PM) *

Clay,
The story that I got from the prior ownership is that; in the event of windshield breakage/ windshield blowout on the high speed section of the track...pit stop replacement was hastened by the use of high-speed German duct tape ! There were a few extra red rolls that came along with our car purchase, cool spares.
And yes Betty can get up close and personal with #40 anytime we bring it out to events!
Marty

So they duct taped in the windshield instead of using butyl? Duct Tape can do ANYTHING!

Clay...#40 even came stocked with spare rolls of red duct tape biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 2 2020, 10:30 PM) *

Letters of Transit ...#40 originally made its way to the USA via Air Freight , small treasure found in the glove box.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(davehg @ Mar 2 2020, 10:28 PM) *

My restorer may have an extra set of 908 calipers, NOS, but not cheap. He’s got one of the Stoddard GT cars. Holler if interested and I’ll hook you up.

I co- exec - produced the 2015 documentary of Le Mans, Steve MCQUEEN: The Man and Le Mans. During filming, our directors were able to find the missing 1M feet of footage shot for the film. Somewhere in my various hard drives I recall footage of the #40 car and other 914s during a number of the original setup shots with the drivers, if I can remember correctly. I did remember being pleasantly surprised to see these videos, which had no sound. When I can get into my storage locker I will see what I can find and share.

Magnificent car, and happy it stayed in the US. I would love to see it in person one of these days.

When this board really is too cool…
pete000
Now that's my kind of carry on !
gms
another TDF photo

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A couple pics from today, another view of the 908 front brake
Click to view attachment

Some 914 tail end swag
Maltese Falcon
Cookie cutters (purchased from the great Slits), temp shop rollers while the LM 24hr Fuchs wheels are cleaned up,
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I removed the black plastic plug and noticed that the factory has welded a U-shaped steel reinforcement on the outer sides of the jack point. Smart thinking !
From all the years of using my jack points on my black six...they are almost deformed at the top edges.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Simple race car interior...Love this wheel and tach ¡
Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Congrats!!!! A great car going to a very deserving owner.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Mar 20 2020, 06:37 PM) *

Congrats!!!! A great car going to a very deserving owner.

Thank you Sir ¡!
pete000
Check the ash tray, I heard the drivers during Le Mans would light up and smoke during the long laps, Putting the cigarettes out just for the pit lane drive by hiding them from the fire marshals...
horizontally-opposed
I love that this car hasn't been "erased." So cool to see some of its details. Thanks for these, Marty! beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 20 2020, 10:03 PM) *

Check the ash tray, I heard the drivers during Le Mans would light up and smoke during the long laps, Putting the cigarettes out just for the pit lane drive by hiding them from the fire marshals...

NO sightings of these 2 brands and the scent in the cabin is 914 extraordinaire ¡ Even blindfolded, any longtime 914 owner can tell when you're inside a 914. This one no different: old patina' carpet, oil/fuel, and a bit of vinyl scent . Then again I have a very sensitive sniffer...
Click to view attachment
preach
This is probably my favorite thread on this forum.

I love the pics and the stories.

#40 is why I own a 914. And a Cayman since this is the car that introduced me to mid-engined.

Congrats!
johnhora
Very interesting on the little things like the reinforced jack point...

Thanks for continuing to post all the pictures and info!
oldschool
aktion035.gif Hats off to you and the crew Marty! piratenanner.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 23 2020, 11:34 AM) *

aktion035.gif Hats off to you and the crew Marty! piratenanner.gif

Thx Jaime ¡!
RolinkHaus
Wunderbar!!! Love the pics, history, wish I could have seen the race. smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
From L.A. Literature week ...good peeps and good times !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Eric brought his PMB staff over to pick up some brake calipers, his crew didn't know that they would meet the Sonauto car...butClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Glenn Stazak showed up and was like the Wikipedia of all things 9146gt, cool to meet up with you !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Eric found this today floating around the internet somewhere biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
KSCarrera
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 25 2020, 04:56 AM) *

Eric found this today floating around the internet somewhere biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

If you have an iPhone, you can download an app called 'Automoji' - its has 100 or more front-on images of Porsches, from the Type 64 Berlin-Rome car through 356s, 911s, 914s, 917s, all the Martini race cars, right on up to the Taycan. All the 914s have headlamps that pop up and down, too! Just add them to any text message you send. Very cool...
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I just wanted to thank you Matry, as my house in HB is about to go on the market. My life plan was at the closing of escrow to seek out number 40 and see if she was available. Now you have found her for me and by the time you are ready to deliver here she will be race ready....

Really I can not think of a more deserving person. Must be nice but I'd still like to see some progress on another car of yours.
hattrick
Congrats Marty!!!!! Not a better caretaker out there.

AND, You couldn't have brought it to a better shop and guys to work on #40...

- Wade
oldschool
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 24 2020, 08:31 PM) *

From L.A. Literature week ...good peeps and good times !
Click to view attachment

The Crew..... cheer.gif Now with Girl power.
ClayPerrine
IPB Image

There otta be a law, I tell ya. Couple a dirty old men skeeving on that nice young girl......
URY914
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Congrats Marty! Jealous for sure.
Lucky9146
Marty, I don't know how I could have missed this thread other than I am not on World as much as I used to be. Just went through every post.

So very happy for you to have acquired the holy grail of 914-6's and yes I have the framed poster in my garage.

Congrats and thank you for all the posts, pictures and Info. This car could not have gone to better folks. Wow just Wow! Hope to see in person one day!
driving.gif white914.jpg
Gulf91474
Thanks Marty for letting us check out this amazing car. Made my Weekend. driving.gif
Robarabian
WOW. I have had fun reading many, many posts here on 914 World. But this little car is amazing. So proud to see it with its new owners. I'm close to Mulholland... let me know when we can come see this gem!!!

The photos of it's history are just the coolest. Congratulations!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 21 2020, 12:09 PM) *
Gauloises

Gauloises without filters was all the rage when i was a teenager ...
shades.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 26 2020, 02:50 PM) *

^ So is the car on 15x7 R wheels all around in this pic? It's also a great shot to see the tire widths, which looks pretty generous and possibly "square," a setup that other flared 914 racers came to like over the years.

Also amazing how little "structure" there is in the greenhouse. An acquaintance saw #40 and was questioning its lack of a roll cage, saying there was no way it ran at Le Mans that way. Uh… bye1.gif
Andyrew
Dont know how I missed this,

Huge Congrats Marty!!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 26 2020, 11:00 PM) *

Dont know how I missed this,

Huge Congrats Marty!!

Andrew...probably because like everyone else on this 914World (self included) we are all busy + involved on our projects. Given the current Global health crisis we are in ...even more reason to skip over/ or miss a couple of threads. All good + you and Dan will meet #40 when the Planet gets happy again !
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 26 2020, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 26 2020, 02:50 PM) *

^ So is the car on 15x7 R wheels all around in this pic? It's also a great shot to see the tire widths, which looks pretty generous and possibly "square," a setup that other flared 914 racers came to like over the years.

Also amazing how little "structure" there is in the greenhouse. An acquaintance saw #40 and was questioning its lack of a roll cage, saying there was no way it ran at Le Mans that way. Uh… bye1.gif

Pete,
How times have changed with FIA scrutinering at the LM24hr.
Just look at how the Wynn's Ford GT was dq'd last year, at the end of its flawless P1 position at the end. DQ' d as the scrutineers found that (pre-inspected + pre-sealed by FIA) their pit lane fueling rig allowed the flow of fuel to move at a Milliseconds pace faster than regulations. The Keating/ Wynns team took the hard decision of DQ and moved on.
In 1970 small discrepancies like "Where's your roll-bar ?" the Sonauto guys could have persuaded the scrutineers with " Porsche built it... It's right there in the targa structure" ; and the factory cleverly braced the ceiling area under the f'glass roof with criss-crossing bars + hid them with grey felt headliner. The team could have also told the inspectors to Tap on the headliner so they could locate and hear the metallic thuds of the "Roll bars" above. BTW these bars are all still in place on #40.
Different time of racing, and fortunately the drivers Claude and Guy kept a safe pace and luck was with them in that crazy mix of the Real Quick cars that weekend.
Mike did have me build a removable 1/2 cage for the car in 1987.
He said that he might need it at a Parade event if he was to autocross the car.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...meanwhile in the wayback machine circa 1974, I was visiting with my Cousins in Paris, France. My Uncle and I are having breakfast in their apartment on Blvd Richard Le'Noir and he asks where we should visit today. I tell him about the Sonauto Porsche dealership as I was trying to buy several sets of the French spec 914 tail light lenses, and maybe tour their showroom. So he makes the call to Sonauto, gets to the parts dept and they inform of Not Available on the lenses. Then he asks if they had a race dept and/ or race cars on dislpay there, and they asked him who wants to know ¿ Uncle replies " A Porsche conessuer from America" would like to visit the showroom biggrin.gif
So the conversation ended about 3 seconds later...and no trip to Sonauto.
I did purchase several sets of lenses while on my Germany leg of the trip from a dealership near the Audi factory; and in 2020 we acquired the Sonauto #40 ...so you can say that it all worked out driving.gif
johnhora
Sorry for the post but I just wanted to keep up with #40's amazing continuing story...thanks
Schellmufsky_2
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 29 2020, 01:03 PM) *

Sorry for the post but I just wanted to keep up with #40's amazing continuing story...thanks

.. do you recognize the car?
I bought it in Touluose in october 1979

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

1020 greetings
Wolfram
Maltese Falcon
Drivetrain is out for teardown, inspection, aesthetic coatings, platings and rebuild...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...nice news for this weekend; cylinder leakage is at 2% ...I would have lost that bet ! Not so nice news is the oil coming out of the transaxle was silver and a bunch of metal shavings on the magnet. Total rebuild right there blink.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Thank you for those Period pics Wolfram ! thumb3d.gif
gms
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 5 2020, 04:50 PM) *

...nice news for this weekend; cylinder leakage is at 2% ...I would have lost that bet ! Not so nice news is the oil coming out of the transaxle was silver and a bunch of metal shavings on the magnet. Total rebuild right there blink.gif
Click to view attachment

I would be very interested to see what gear ratios are in that gearbox
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 6 2020, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 5 2020, 04:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I would be very interested to see what gear ratios are in that gearbox

I've got your back on that Glenn...I'm next in line for transaxle work in the shop & will post up here crest.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.