Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
gereed75
The holy grail of 914dom is in the best possible hands.

Look forward to your post and maybe seeing the car in person one day.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 16 2022, 06:37 AM) *

Marty don't forget that missing hinge bolt ! smile.gif
As usual your work is impeccable.

Will do Rory & thank you the kind words...one of my fave projects is working on #40 welder.gif
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
Seats, we're happy with the reupholstery & cushion o'haul; SO much more comfortable than the old condition of the Scheels that came with the car !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Driver's side; sliding the Scheel into position
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
These quick-remove style air screens are great for test + tune, I'll still run the custom rain hats above these.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Some go juice for test runs
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
You're at the test and tune stage? Must make some great music in the shop. Have you driven it yet or do you just sit in those new seats and go vroom, vroom? driving.gif
930cabman
I am sure many of us would love to see a video of this baby in action on the track
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 1 2022, 09:31 AM) *

You're at the test and tune stage? Must make some great music in the shop. Have you driven it yet or do you just sit in those new seats and go vroom, vroom? driving.gif

Stealthy* motoring it around the shop (with French Lic #s) to check all systems; So far So good !
* I do have a mechanics Repair-Order form with me*
Maltese Falcon
These two guys made the magic happen on the #40 complete overhaul of drivetrain, suspension, electrics; so I had them sign the interior-engine bay access hatch. With just enough light Jeff and Allan's sig can be seen down in there in the engine compartment number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 1 2022, 06:25 PM) *

These two guys made the magic happen on the #40 complete overhaul of drivetrain, suspension, electrics; so I had them sign the interior-engine bay access hatch. With just enough light Jeff and Allan's sig can be seen down in there in the engine compartment number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment

Nice touch Marty. Super cool to do that. Keep 'em coming! number40_914.jpg
driving.gif white914.jpg
BillJ
How can one get their hands on thise trumpet covers? I just ordered the rsr rain hats from germany and would like these as well...
BillJ
How can one get their hands on thise trumpet covers? I just ordered the rsr rain hats from germany and would like these as well...
Maltese Falcon
@BillJ here's the scoop:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BillJ
Do you plan to run with them on? Do they end up impacting performance?
Maltese Falcon
Decal is still on the driver's side turn signal lens, Monterey Ca. 1990, PCA Parade where prev #40 owner Mike exhibited the car. Then in the early '90s he exhibited at a local OC, CA. Dunkel Brothers Porsche meet up. Mid 90's he showed it at Pomona Raceway for a PCA meet up featuring Vasek Polak's panzers ! Going forward, as far as I know #40 has been kept out of sight for the most part .
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(BillJ @ Oct 2 2022, 06:26 PM) *

Do you plan to run with them on? Do they end up impacting performance?

Yes Bill these will remain on the carbs, no loss of performance that we can detect. You can also see these in use on (example) the GT driven by Randy Pobst in the Leno Youtube...somewhere here on World.
number40_914.jpg
BillJ
Ha! Just talked with Randy a bit during a lucky dog race here in the Carolinas last weekend. His hot pits were right next to the team i plan to join next year that is running boxsters.

I will pick these up as i like the idea of keeping things out of my engine. Thanks as always and the headers you sent me are magnificent.

Oh and ARE you running Rennsportin 2023? I just got my tickets...
Maltese Falcon
An old friend + Porsche aficionado emailed me the other day and sent me a pic of his SCCA- C production 9146, said it's been accepted* to the Lüft 8 meet up on Oct 9, 22. Then he says that he mentioned #40 to the team over there and I got an email from Lüft.
Looks like the Sonauto 914 will represent in San Pedro next Sunday.
*There were 2 exhibit spots left: c/prod in the # 1 spot, Sonauto in the #2 spot !!
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
#40 at Pomona (Vasek Polak meet) in the mid 90's, my black flat fan 6 is just out of frame here...but I'll dig up the pic and post up
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Sure the 914 passed the P1 917 #23...but only in pit lane!
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
^

mechanic on board in white overalls for observation lap with race driver?
Maltese Falcon
dunno...But the red lamp on the Targa Top seems to be absent in this pic, Sonauto and Porsche livery as well >> MIA idea.gif
number40_914.jpg
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 3 2022, 07:15 AM) *

dunno...But the red lamp on the Targa Top seems to be absent in this pic, Sonauto and Porsche livery as well >> MIA idea.gif
number40_914.jpg

Is that a French gendarme in the lower right corner of the pic?
Dion
Maybe it was scrutineer day or qualifying day?
Yes that is a Gendarme.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 3 2022, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 3 2022, 07:15 AM) *

number40_914.jpg

Is that a French gendarme in the lower right corner of the pic?

Mais oui ! he's checking out the Plaque de Licence, perhaps pondering the Provence from where it's from idea.gif
Maltese Falcon
She's Alive
number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Love it... beerchug.gif
Dion
Fantastic Marty! piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
Incredible!! aktion035.gif driving.gif
930cabman
can't wait to see her in action wub.gif
campbellcj
Super cool Marty, congrats and beautiful work on #40 ! Hope to see ya Sunday!
Maltese Falcon
Thx guys ...def will be fun to hang out with y'all.
Near future I'll find a cool spot to hang with all of you Local members and have some cold ones around Sonauto beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Got to be the coolest car at the show….bar none.
wonkipop
one hell of a trailer you got there @Maltese Falcon
what do you haul it with. a FORD?

---
#40 = great.
old mate - gone to the 914 junkyard in the sky.
the late brian clerihan. who started the 914 register in australia and was 914 nerd #1
here
would be grinning up there with his harp thrashing out some lobby lloyd chords.
he loved that number plate. BC.

a photo of him from some time in the 60s after he lost his surfboard off the roof of his beetle. great guy. every time i see a pic of#40 i think of him.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 6 2022, 03:27 AM) *

one hell of a trailer you got there @Maltese Falcon
what do you haul it with. a FORD?

---
#40 = great.
old mate - gone to the 914 junkyard in the sky.
the late brian clerihan. who started the 914 register in australia and was 914 nerd #1
here
would be grinning up there with his harp thrashing out some lobby lloyd chords.
he loved that number plate. BC.

a photo of him from some time in the 60s after he lost his surfboard off the roof of his beetle. great guy. every time i see a pic of#40 i think of him.

Click to view attachment

Yessir...big Ford that's been "SuperRoo'd" from the land of Oz. May Brian rest easy .

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Wow, like new. Nice work Marty, she is a beaut.
Maltese Falcon
Lights on
Click to view attachment
eric9144
cheer.gif
Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow! drooley.gif
Maltese Falcon
Load-in day at Lüft8
Click to view attachment
scottsilvertt
For #40, which is a super car.
Has anyone ever listed the unique features and parts of this car in a single list?

And has anyone ever listed an hour by hour diary/journal of the things that happened to the car, in 1970 at Le Mans?

Like, did it spend time in the pits getting something fixed? Or they had to run into the parking lot to find a windshield?
914 Ranch
Nice Marty, if I was closer I'd there. You put a smile on my face.
Congratulations first.gif
Dion
QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 11 2022, 08:39 PM) *

Has anyone ever listed the unique features and parts of this car in a single list?

And has anyone ever listed an hour by hour diary/journal of the things that happened to the car, in 1970 at Le Mans?

Like, did it spend time in the pits getting something fixed? Or they had to run into the parking lot to find a windshield?

I like your line of thinking.
These are good points. Maybe when Marty has some “down time” :-) He could enlighten us!
mlmgm
#40 at Porsche Parade 1990 Monterey, CA

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@Mlmgm that very cool "3 language" sign was in the prior owner's stash until the car went to a SoCal independent Porsche shop; where it was swiped.
Easy enough for my graphic artist friend to repro ! The sign was with the #40 while on display in the Technik Museum Sinsheim as well. Here's a pic from the mid '90s, (taken by my friend Scott) at Pomona during a PCA tribute to Vasek Polak. My black six parked adjacent to #40...and Mike (prior owner #40) walking by the front of it.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Engine/ intercooler pic of the black "Flat fan" six parked next to #40 (at Pomona event) which we would acquire some 25 years in the future !
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 28 2020, 08:53 PM) *

A couple of World members dropped in to check our progress on #40 today...Eric (Left) from PMB and Glenn Stazak (Right). Good meeting up with you guys , thank you for sharing your GT knowledge with us !¡
Click to view attachment

Marty, you spell Wierd wrong. It’s not World. Especially that guy on the left. biggrin.gif
KSCarrera
QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 12 2022, 04:39 AM) *

Not quite a full hour by hour account, but this is from a feature of mine a couple of years ago telling the story at Le Mans in 1970...

"By this stage in the race (8.00am Sunday morning - KS), the Sonauto 914/6GT was lying in 10th position, and leading its GT 2.0 class, ahead of the Ecurie Luxembourg 911S of Koob and Kremer and the Corvette of Greder and Rouget. The Sonauto team effort nearly came to an end with two hours to go when the 914/6GT hit standing water at the end of the pit straight, veering perilously close to the pit wall before the driver was able to gather it all back up and continue to the finish.
However, with less than an hour to go, the Greder/Rouget Corvette moved ahead of the 914/6GT, which had previously been promoted to sixth thanks to the retirement of yet more front runners. And that was the way the race finished. Attwood and Herrmann secured Porsche’s first outright victory at Le Mans, with Larrousse and Kauhsen’s 917 in second place followed by the 908 of Lins and Marko in third. Two Ferraris finished in fourth and fifth.
That was thought to be that – the 914/6GT had performed beyond expectations and a seventh overall was an excellent result…but there was more excitement to come. The race organisers decided, in it has to be said typically Gallic style, that the sixth-placed Corvette had not covered sufficient laps to be classified as a finisher, the number of laps required being determined according to the class and vehicle specification. As a result, the Sonauto entry was promoted to sixth overall, winning also the 2.0-litre GT class and the corresponding Indexes of Performance and Thermal Efficiency."
wonkipop
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Oct 14 2022, 03:19 AM) *

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 12 2022, 04:39 AM) *

Not quite a full hour by hour account, but this is from a feature of mine a couple of years ago telling the story at Le Mans in 1970...

"By this stage in the race (8.00am Sunday morning - KS), the Sonauto 914/6GT was lying in 10th position, and leading its GT 2.0 class, ahead of the Ecurie Luxembourg 911S of Koob and Kremer and the Corvette of Greder and Rouget. The Sonauto team effort nearly came to an end with two hours to go when the 914/6GT hit standing water at the end of the pit straight, veering perilously close to the pit wall before the driver was able to gather it all back up and continue to the finish.
However, with less than an hour to go, the Greder/Rouget Corvette moved ahead of the 914/6GT, which had previously been promoted to sixth thanks to the retirement of yet more front runners. And that was the way the race finished. Attwood and Herrmann secured Porsche’s first outright victory at Le Mans, with Larrousse and Kauhsen’s 917 in second place followed by the 908 of Lins and Marko in third. Two Ferraris finished in fourth and fifth.
That was thought to be that – the 914/6GT had performed beyond expectations and a seventh overall was an excellent result…but there was more excitement to come. The race organisers decided, in it has to be said typically Gallic style, that the sixth-placed Corvette had not covered sufficient laps to be classified as a finisher, the number of laps required being determined according to the class and vehicle specification. As a result, the Sonauto entry was promoted to sixth overall, winning also the 2.0-litre GT class and the corresponding Indexes of Performance and Thermal Efficiency."

great story @KSCarrera
must have got the drivers full attention hitting that puddle.

i remember reading somewhere that #40 did the whole race on the set of tyres and brake pads it started on. if my memory of reading that is not unreliable that is pretty remarkable. given it was both dry and very very wet at times in the 70 race i wonder what type of tyres #40 was running?

basically the car never stopped except to fill up and change drivers. just kept going around and round like a ticking clock. nice.
Lucky9146
Great seeing Marty again and witness the very first public showing I believe of #40 at Luft 8 since he acquired it!

What a cool car! Why I didn't take interior pics, I just don't know confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.