Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 18 2021, 05:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 17 2021, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 11 2021, 04:55 PM) *

Several months ago Marty took some measurements and made a drawing for me of the lower hood plates. Is there a chance he could make me a drawing for the upper plates too? @Maltese Falcon @MATTYLITE

Thanks! You guys are the best!!

Perry @IronHillRestorations , the upper plates just use the OE corner-pieces (where the rubber adjusters fit). The pin centers are 1.5" center-to-edge (weather-strip) channel...in red.
Hope this helps !
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@ Maltese Falcon Thanks Marty, but I was asking about the plate on the hood. You made a nice drawing of the lower hood plate, but I need the upper too.

Sorry for the confusion Perry...but the car only uses these 4 front hood pin locations. The (upper towards cowl ¿¿) pin locations do not exist, as this hood still uses the OE hinges.
Marty
IronHillRestorations
Thanks again for the reply Marty. I'm looking for the dimensions on this one in the center of the pic.
Maltese Falcon
OK, plate dimensions are:
Yellow, Red, Violet = 3.125"
Blue (above headlight) = 2.875"
Flip this outline for the R /passenger side
The edges of the plates also have a beveled contour.
Click to view attachment
wonkipop

@Maltese Falcon

Dunpy made it to oz.
he looks fantastic.
thanks mate. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Twin fuel pumps, new wiring, relays, SS fuel lines, brackets, supply + return lines and clamps all in place.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@wonkipop glad your Dunpy made it through ours & yours postal services biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Finalizing the exhaust, our newly manufactured 1.625" od merge collector headers are slightly larger than the original LeMans (1.5" od) headers...but there are -0- clearance issues on surrounding components.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...couple more
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Shivers
So tough. Looks incredible.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 6 2022, 02:09 AM) *

So tough. Looks incredible.

Thank you for the kind words smile.gif
rhodyguy
I find it interesting the rear anti-sway is still installed. So many people delete them.
rgalla9146

Marty will you add a support when running the megaphones ?
Dion
Marty it’s looking so incredible.
That’s a great shot of the business end. How much more width are those flares.
I remember reading that the Marathon de la Route cars(3 of them) all had different width flares. Just curious.
beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 7 2022, 08:52 AM) *

Marty will you add a support when running the megaphones ?

Rory, the megs that you see in the pics will not be floating around as these will push into the rear muffler (id / od fit), then tightened with a pair of band-clamps.
The main support bracket which bolts to 901 nose-cone and uses a pair of large band clamps (911 style) to support the GT muffler/ with the megs clamped down and along for the ride.
GT nose-cone bracket (blue dot) in the picture.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@Dion , I'll throw a straight edge into the rear wheel well next chance I get !
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 7 2022, 07:22 AM) *

I find it interesting the rear anti-sway is still installed. So many people delete them.

Good question...but my guess is that at this early stage of 914 motorsport , and entering a 24 enduro; the factory brain trust used what "Worked" on their rear engined 911 racecars. 914 was their entry level car, no downforce, flat bottom, non aero car ...does appear to have a decent coefficient of drag to it with the headlights down ! It seems to have cornered well from watching it through the LeMans movie.
We use a rear bar on our 2L T4 914, but not on my six, or eight.
number40_914.jpg
HaraldD
Hi,
please take a look at what I get from Wolfram (the last owner here in Germany) some years ago...
It might be an original sticker. smile.gif

Harald

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Wow, just wow...!

What a fantastic - beyond words - acquisition. If I missed this, sorry, what are your plans for it? Vintage? Art display?

Happy for you guys!

Cracker
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 7 2022, 08:36 PM) *

Good question...but my guess is that at this early stage of 914 motorsport , and entering a 24 enduro; the factory brain trust used what "Worked" on their rear engined 911 racecars. 914 was their entry level car, no downforce, flat bottom, non aero car ...does appear to have a decent coefficient of drag to it with the headlights down ! It seems to have cornered well from watching it through the LeMans movie.
number40_914.jpg

Since 1982 I've been hearing that about my car, low power, poor aerodynamics. So there is only one answer in my mind why these car do so well against cars with more power and aerodynamics...Superior handling and braking. Well, that and devastatingly good looks. I'll take it.
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 8 2022, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 7 2022, 08:36 PM) *

number40_914.jpg

Since 1982 I've been hearing that about my car, low power, poor aerodynamics. So there is only one answer in my mind why these car do so well against cars with more power and aerodynamics...Superior handling and braking. Well, that and devastatingly good looks. I'll take it.

I have been a "car guy" for 50+ years. These days when friends here of my recent endeavor's into the world of 914's, I generally get a frown. It's easy to remind them of #40 and the 1970 Lemans race. Usually I get a dumb look, but it's real. Porsche had something in the late '60's with this mid engine racer.
Maltese Falcon
@HaraldD that was very cool to receive the banner ! When I was traveling in France (1974) I was visiting the Sonauto dealership in Paris, and thought that I would see a cool collection of racecars, maybe some Swag + 914 gt parts to purchase...but not much to see (or buy) except showroom cars for sale. I'm thinking that Mssr. Auguste Vueillet owns the dealership, this might be a place similar to SoCal's Vasek Polak dealership...a candy store of racecars + race parts for sale (see Carl smile.gif) in their Parts Dept.
Auguste was a co-driver in the 1951 LeMans 24 hour in the werks 356sl (1,100 CC class) which brought Porsche its first LM24 victories first.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 25 2020, 05:15 PM) *

Some race pix for you

1970 Tour de France
Click to view attachment

1970 Critérium des Cévennes
Click to view attachment

I got all excited when I saw these photos. boldblue.gif I thought that I owned a tiny piece of #40's history. icon22_2.gif
Turns out, my Tour de France rally plate is a year to early. hissyfit.gif

Click to view attachment

I have other TdF plates, but they are all much older.
Click to view attachment

No luck with the Criterium des Cevennes either. sad.gif My examples are more modern.
Click to view attachment

Was the car campaigned in any other Rallys ? ? confused24.gif
I really hope I have something in my plate collection with #40 dust, oil or DNA on it.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 9 2022, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Feb 25 2020, 05:15 PM) *

Some race pix for you

1970 Tour de France
Click to view attachment

1970 Critérium des Cévennes
Click to view attachment

I got all excited when I saw these photos. boldblue.gif I thought that I owned a tiny piece of #40's history. icon22_2.gif
Turns out, my Tour de France rally plate is a year to early. hissyfit.gif

Click to view attachment

I have other TdF plates, but they are all much older.
Click to view attachment

No luck with the Criterium des Cevennes either. sad.gif My examples are more modern.
Click to view attachment

Was the car campaigned in any other Rallys ? ? confused24.gif
I really hope I have something in my plate collection with #40 dust, oil or DNA on it.

I'm sure I can find Some part that is "Nfg" and bring over to you at the Pepper Mill, one of these weekends smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Stretchy Stretchy cloth or fiberglass weave has seen better days; probably the reason I sink to the floorboard while seated in the Scheel. Taking a trip to the upholstery shop , passenger seat will get some TLC as well.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A bit of adjustment to the sport-muffler support bracket (on 901 nosecone) and I finally like the muffler position
Maltese Falcon
Going to carefully TiG this tired fuel filter cap back together, as the 50+ year old epoxy-glue let go and the top piece left the building blink.gif The glue is adhered pretty good (could have held the canopy on an ME-109 !)...using a sharp razor to demo it.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...also straightening out the "Fin" on top of the gt gas filler cap. Through the years it has tweaked + twisted.
A simple persuasion with 2 wood blocks in the vise did wonders. Off to the heliarc for a better attachment than the previous epoxy
number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
From the 1st page of this thread shows the 2nd car that came in the "Package". It was sold and back in Europe now, the new owners (they have overhauled the gtr) said that they are entering into the '22 Historic LeMans. Here's a pic of the #86 rolling out of the transport at the '82 LeMans forty years ago. The guy kneeling on the bottom right looks like Doc Bundy, and the guy just above him looks like Jim Busby...both co-drove the sister entry #87 (class winner) but slower lap times than the #86.
#86 DNF'd with a centerlock wheel that came loose and fell off (Manfred Schurti driver).
Click to view attachment

wonkipop
mean looking car. i think its the headlights change the whole persona (ignoring the swollen mudgards (translation = fenders) ).
that and the giant air sucking grille.

photo says they are having a bit of trouble getting it down the ramps? smile.gif
wonder why.
rgalla9146

The 924 was sponsored by Paul Miller Porsche a north New Jersey dealership.
Looks like they're trying to avoid tearing the nose off with those steep ramps.
Maltese Falcon
Always bring extra Lumber, it is real low smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Drivers; Paul Miller, Patrick Bedard, Manfred Schurti
Those are some BIG BFG radial T/A's ...both #86 and #87 did not run the LM24 on slicks !
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
do you know who designed the livery.

its simple but very beautiful (brutal).
those two stripes from the head lights up the bonnet.

there was a porsche ran at bathurst 12 hour 3 or 4 years ago that was fantastic.
came in from germany and was associated more directly with the factory.
it was fluorescent light green yellow.
easily the best looking car in the whole 12 hour.
the livery did not screw up the form.

that silver beast has got un-form-mucking up livery.
the best kind.

wonkipop
911 at bathurst i saw.

can't find a photo of the back of it.
which looked great.
99% of the time that was what i saw.
i hang out at bathurst on the down hill section when i go.
porsches ace it there.
take the dipper outrageously fast up the backsides of the more powerful mercs.

thought the livery was the first modern livery i had seen in the flesh i really liked.
it was un-nostalgic and was not a throwback, but it avoided being a big bad advertisement gone wrong like a lot of stuff these days.
some kind of weird hexagonal pattern up close.

looked good pre dawn at the start - it was glow in the dark stuff.
be perfect for le mans in the night time.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...almost there
Click to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 5 2022, 11:58 PM) *

Did you make the cap grip? It's probably a silly question but I had to ask...
Maltese Falcon
@mgp4591 I received a pretty tired looking/ GT gas cap on #40...so only repairs being made here. The prev owner spent days trying to remove it from the tank...as gas fumes (during extended storage) probably varnished it to the tank, and would not spin off.
The various ways that he tried to remove it caused the top Grip (2 "Fins") to tweak + bend, and lift off of the epoxy holding agent.
He did manage to modify an oil-filter removal (band type) tool to do the trick.
I'm just repairing here and making a longer lasting cap !
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon

slightly off topic, but only slightly. one of 40's sisters.
found this in my files poking around.
my old mechanic gave it to me.
its him when he was much younger.
he used to work on my 914 back in the 90s.
one of the few guys who never poo poo-ed my humble 1.8.
always used to say, "ze 914 is ze best porsche out of ze box."

think he has retired to NZ.
he used to look after rusty french''s 935.
went down to phillip island historics once about 20 years back.
and thanks to him he called us into the pit garage while he was doing the warm up.
"nasty" car.
one of the few times my humble 1.8 got me a ticket inside when all the guys with "real" porsches had to look from a distance. sad.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@wonkipop could be the green Kremer prepared m471 that came to the States in the late '70s. Went into the ownership of Harold von K...who turned it into a yellow fire breathing wide body turbo Club Racer.
After that stint, it was sold off to a restorer who put it all back to Kremer specs; which is how it remains today.
I'll get into the Maltese library and see if it's the #58 !
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
This could be the car, as it links it to Harold's (von K) ownership at a point in time @wonkipop
Click to view attachment
number40_914.jpg
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon

thanks for info.

i am aware of that von K car.
from reading this website.
sounded pretty wild.

next time i see mr figguret i'll ask him all about the car.
he worked for the kremers. and on that car too he said.
i believe he trained at porsche as a very young man.

i have not seen him for a while.
due to covid.
i am not even sure the crazy new zealanders have opened up yet!?
which means he is probably still trapped in his retirement zone.
on mountain roads hopefully endlessly driving around.
he owns a 911 S he had rebuilt beautifully which he took there with him.

he might be able to fill me in with some more info.

gms
You are correct Marty

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 21 2022, 04:50 PM) *

@Maltese Falcon

thanks for info.

i am aware of that von K car.
from reading this website.
sounded pretty wild.

next time i see mr figguret i'll ask him all about the car.
he worked for the kremers. and on that car too he said.
i believe he trained at porsche as a very young man.

i have not seen him for a while.
due to covid.
i am not even sure the crazy new zealanders have opened up yet!?
which means he is probably still trapped in his retirement zone.
on mountain roads hopefully endlessly driving around.
he owns a 911 S he had rebuilt beautifully which he took there with him.

he might be able to fill me in with some more info.

wonkipop
you guys sent me off on a google search to see if i could figure out what event my old mechanic was at there at the nurburgring in 71. going off the 58 # on car.

i couldn't turn up anything where there was a GT running 58 on it.

but i did find this image on an image search.
from kremer racing facebook page.

Click to view attachment

its got 58 #.
but looking close the stickers on the front bonnet are in different places than mechanics photo. but bumper is painted the same way, which is the opposite of old photos of von K car before he got hold of it.

interesting how its running dirty big mini lites on the back too instead of fuchs.

will have to remember to ask him what race he was at the n ring for when i finally get to see him again.
Shivers
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 21 2022, 06:47 PM) *

you guys sent me off on a google search to see if i could figure out what event my old mechanic was at there at the nurburgring in 71. going off the 58 # on car.

i couldn't turn up anything where there was a GT running 58 on it.

but i did find this image on an image search.
from kremer racing facebook page.

Click to view attachment

its got 58 #.
but looking close the stickers on the front bonnet are in different places than mechanics photo. but bumper is painted the same way, which is the opposite of old photos of von K car before he got hold of it.

interesting how its running dirty big mini lites on the back too instead of fuchs.

will have to remember to ask him what race he was at the n ring for when i finally get to see him again.

I used to peel the stickers off my drag bike before the beginning of the season. New stickers from different places, or just new stickers...My last year I put a big sticker on that said "Turn The Gas On Dummy". Maybe it was something like that, with out the "Dummy" part. I'm finding this very interesting, keep up the good work Clouseau wink.gif
beech4rd
"interesting how its running dirty big mini lites on the back too instead of Fuchs."

There was a limit as to how wide a Fuchs was available back in the day. If wider rims were needed, Minilites were the go-to rim

Chris
Maltese Falcon
Taking the Scheels in for overhaul + same style reupholstery. Some needed repairs to the floorboard seat rails today.
Couldn't resist staging the seats next to the 1974 Samson RSR #41 for the pic drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Mar 22 2022, 11:03 AM) *

"interesting how its running dirty big mini lites on the back too instead of Fuchs."

There was a limit as to how wide a Fuchs was available back in the day. If wider rims were needed, Minilites were the go-to rim

Chris

its a good look.

-------

had a closer look at photos comparing the one i found on facebook to one with my old mechanic. stickers on the front hood are in the same place - was mistaken.
they must have swapped out the numbers on the car before the race.
might have been wearing 58 in practice. then 65 in the race. all the other period photos of the car before von K got it are with 65.

photo i found of it on track looks like its taken in the carousel (or the other concrete banked corner).

my old mechanic is standing in front of the old pit garages which are still there and look the same.

the car only got raced by kremer twice for one year in 1971.
once at salzburgring and once at the nurburgring.
so the photo of my mechanic must have taken at the n-ring 500 in sept 71.
(unless they were at the ring for some other test session or something).

i think the r. meaney car listed at the top of events in 71 is a different car?

end of sleuthing.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Passenger seat is a non-adjustable affair, with decent forward bracketing that's attached to the floor crossbar.
The Rears were just free floating on .125" gauge metal strips, that are welded to the floor >>with the OE seat rail hinges just there for the ride.
Now making a pair of T6 alum adapter brackets which will secure the rear seats in place.
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
those seats are great.

blue thing behind them a bit distracting when trying to appreciate smile.gif smile.gif

you have some handy backgrounds lying around for photo ops.

--

puts a new twist on passenger as sitting in the death seat. blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
A lot of "Things" that were just laying around loose in the #40, including this breather catch-tank.
Thanks to a bit of research and confirming with Glenn @gms , I have the correct spot in the rear trunk for mounting number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.