Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
gms
Perfect Marty!
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 30 2022, 06:49 PM) *

A lot of "Things" that were just laying around loose in the #40, including this breather catch-tank.
Thanks to a bit of research and confirming with Glenn @gms , I have the correct spot in the rear trunk for mounting number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment

Too cool. Was just playing around with a NOS tank…found in a NOS Sportkit, in the box… wacko.gif
Maltese Falcon
Fuel cap gasket restoration, an easy repair to a small issue on the cork.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Alum breather tank bracket-plate fabrication.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Getting the bracketing just right...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Fuel cap / now restored sitting pretty...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Spins on and off with ease !
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Lookin good Marty! It is the little things that count.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 20 2022, 08:16 PM) *

Lookin good Marty! It is the little things that count.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Thank you Jim >>You know this First Hand; and the results came out great ! Short vid coming your way (text)...
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
Smooth in either direction + looking forward to that First 100L fill-up blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypakZKACjmo?feature
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 21 2022, 08:46 PM) *

Smooth in either direction + looking forward to that First 100L fill-up blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypakZKACjmo?feature

good thing you were not at a BP service station down here 2 weeks ago thinking of doing that!
Maltese Falcon
So...who knows which of the 2 drivers took #40 over the finish line, Claude or Guy idea.gif ¿
just wondering out loud number40_914.jpg
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 24 2022, 04:26 PM) *

So...who knows which of the 2 drivers took #40 over the finish line, Claude or Guy idea.gif ¿
just wondering out loud number40_914.jpg

you must know mr s!

i don't.

but i know claude ballot-lena always drove with a red helmet.
the other driver, guy chasseuil had a light colored or white helmet in photos.

there is a shot of the car just after race coming into winners paddock.
looks like a white helmet on driver - maybe - very hard to tell.
one other photo with both drivers in it after finish.
looks like guy c is driving.
and claude b-l has his girl friend (?) on his lap in the passenger seat.

wild guess - was guy chasseuil at the wheel at finish.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
film stills.

last lap. he is coming around behind the yellow vette.
think its a white helmet but its black and white so.....?

Click to view attachment

driving into finishers paddock.
the yellow vette has just driven in before him.
has taken his helmet off.

Click to view attachment

thats as close as i can get.

there is a photo right at finish line.
but can't see through the windscreen to see the helmet. sad.gif

claude

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Ready to mount...since there was no vent tube/vent hole drilled into the trunk floor, I'm not going that route. A simple piece of foam rubber= the breather ; better than the breather tank just flopping around in there biggrin.gif
The black rubber strap is a 356/ 912 parts bin item !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The jury is still out, but getting closer regarding the pilot of #40 accross the finish line. This description assembled here by photographer/racer/author Michael Keyser shows the post-moment where the race finished. Guy in the driver's seat, Claude passenger and his girlfriend on his lap.
So far @wonkipop has a good clue!!
Michael tells me that he still has contact with Guy over in France and will be in touch with him. Can't get better than that...the #40's co-driver report ! driving.gif
Click to view attachment
BillJ
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 3 2022, 10:08 PM) *

Ready to mount...since there was no vent tube/vent hole drilled into the trunk floor, I'm not going that route. A simple piece of foam rubber= the breather ; better than the breather tank just flopping around in there biggrin.gif
The black rubber strap is a 356/ 912 parts bin item !
Click to view attachment

Just picked up one of these. What specifically is the strap part number? And specific brackets for it? And how are you routing hoses?
Maltese Falcon
@BillJ the rubber hold-down strap is a 912 battery holder, Factory pn# 90161102521.
It comes with attachment fasteners already in place at both ends.
After you shape the alum base plate (I use .125" ga.), you will need to make a small flat "Hook" style receiver* to place on the backside of the plate...this catches the steel "Loop" on the rubber strap.
*You can either tig weld the Hook/ or set with JB weld. For the other end of the Strap>the end that you pull and lock in place, I simply shaped the inside of a steel washer to match the shape of the hook and welded on to the flat bracket. Then it's bent to a 45° angle...easy to mate the hook into place.
The venting (clear vinyl tube) connects to a push-on fitting located on the GT oil-filler neck.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Scheels are ready; the original "Skins" will be preserved in a large glass-framed display, #40 Wall Art aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
BillJ
Thanks for the details on the puke tank. The lines seem smaller than the ones i use. Where do rthey oute?
Maltese Falcon
@BillJ yes the vent line nipple on the gt filler neck seems a bit smaller in dia than the one on my normal 9146 oil tank, just get the correct size vent tube / and a suitable grommet. Red cap on top is where the waste oil is emptied; grey foam (prev post) on the Right is a simple breather, engine is not making much blowby at all. I've seen some GT's that have a road-tube that will go into ( in place of the grey foam) a hole cut in the trunk floor and aim down by the trans.
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 24 2022, 03:19 PM) *

The jury is still out, but getting closer regarding the pilot of #40 accross the finish line. This description assembled here by photographer/racer/author Michael Keyser shows the post-moment where the race finished. Guy in the driver's seat, Claude passenger and his girlfriend on his lap.
Michael tells me that he still has contact with Guy over in France and will be in touch with him. Can't get better than that...the #40's co-driver report ! driving.gif
Click to view attachment

they were both stylish blokes driving a stylish car to a stylish victory.
(right down to the girlfriend with the french short hair-cut sitting on a lap)
so it kind of doesn't matter marty.
but its nice for you to know the details.
i hope you get the answer.

by the way.
i love my dunpy sticker.
so do all the ford guys here i show it to.
i'm trying to score you a super-roo repro from rare spares.
they have to do another run of them.
i'll get you one when they get some stock from the printer in the right size.
have you got a ford to stick it on?

beerchug.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 24 2022, 02:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Too bad this picture is not larger. I'd think the most recent driver would have helmet hair.
BillJ
Mention of the Dunpy sticker reminded me to add a pic of the ones on my humble tribute. Thanks again.

Click to view attachment 98.30
Maltese Falcon
@Shivers biggrin.gif
@BillJ the tribute is looking first.gif have you sorted the engine troubles¿¿
@wonkipop...yes an F150, F250 and Explorer flag.gif
Marty
BillJ
Yes was just a leaking line. Car is otherwise great!
Maltese Falcon
Punching out the upholstery for the bolt holes in the seats. Didn't trust the shop to do this, as they were about to follow every hole in the seat rails/ which would not be necessary.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Test fitting the Passenger side aluminum adapter blocks with the lower (fixed position) seat rails.
Good snug fit !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Driver side 16 ga. metal bracket adapter to secure the seat rail to the floor. It was not attached in any fashion when we got the car, which caused the seat to sit tilted and rocked and could not adjust forward or rearward. Works well now !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Adapter on the driver side seat rail
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
I may have missed it before, was #40 carpeted in it's racing days?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 5 2022, 06:07 PM) *

Not exactly sure on the use/ or style of carpet used in the year it ran the 24, and the following BP rallys in France; but when we got her the black "Carpet" in the cabin is a thin-pile > almost like felt material.
number40_914.jpg
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 5 2022, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 5 2022, 06:07 PM) *

Not exactly sure on the use/ or style of carpet used in the year it ran the 24, and the following BP rallys in France; but when we got her the black "Carpet" in the cabin is a thin-pile > almost like felt material.
number40_914.jpg

Thanks Marty. Love the updates.
Maltese Falcon
beerchug.gif @KELTY360
KSCarrera
Excellent work, Marty! Hope I get to see the car again one day. smile.gif

On the subject of what we know over here as the Dunlop Groundhog decals, I'm sure you know of the UK company isaydingdong.co.uk - they do a huge range of quality repro decals covering all makes and years, including these:

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/cat_...933-Dunlop.html

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Jun 7 2022, 01:54 AM) *

Excellent work, Marty! Hope I get to see the car again one day. smile.gif

On the subject of what we know over here as the Dunlop Groundhog decals, I'm sure you know of the UK company isaydingdong.co.uk - they do a huge range of quality repro decals covering all makes and years, including these:

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/cat_...933-Dunlop.html

Click to view attachment

I actually never knew of this very Cool decal supplier ! Thank you Keith for the knowledge biggrin.gif
KSCarrera
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 7 2022, 11:48 PM) *
I actually never knew of this very Cool decal supplier ! Thank you Keith for the knowledge biggrin.gif

My pleasure - this company is the go-to source over here of repro vintage race decals. You name it, you can probably get it. And they'll do special orders, too... smile.gif
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon

super roo finally showed up in my letterbox.
i'll get him out to you via airmail.
think auspost/us post are functioning again.

s. roo is a wheel spinning "hoon" compared to cute dunpy.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 20 2022, 08:17 PM) *

@Maltese Falcon

super roo finally showed up in my letterbox.
i'll get him out to you via airmail.
think auspost/us post are functioning again.

s. roo is a wheel spinning "hoon" compared to cute dunpy.

Click to view attachment

That's awesome + Thx ! I will place S/R on the Ford Super Crew biggrin.gif
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon

south african export falcon gt made in australia got its own creature.
super rhino. a scary idea?

never seen one and only recently learned they existed.
seems there was also super dog.
but i don't know which market the super dog was for.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Lights, Camera...soon to be Action !
Besides having a bunch of days (probably weeks) of hunting down frayed, burnt, missing ,and ghost Wiring; not to mention getting the tach rebuilt...it's all back to fully operational ! My good friend Rich that I've known since the Westwood Porsche days worked his magic on #40
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Night track light !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This pic taken a few years ago by Mike (prior owner) and it has a pretty good idea of lighting for Night track work
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Snug fit and ready to breathe
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Cool stuff Marty! Love seeing the progress. Looking forward to seeing #40 one day!

Great seeing you last month! beerchug.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg
Dion
That’s awesome Marty! Nice to see the period lights functioning again. The trunk number lite is quite bright! The red “beacon” lite certainly would not be confused with another at LeMans. Keep going! beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Air Filter work in progress; the 906 tall magnesium intakes will not allow the PMO/ k+n filter assemblies to fit under a 914 engine lid...so the car came with these stylish rain hats (reminiscent of 908 style), but no filters. I've sourced some nice SS mesh with a screen size of the k+n filters. I'll fit the mesh first, then hit up my friends at S+B filters for a short run of their surgical-cotton style filters elements...which I will slide over the mesh.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Stainless Steel mesh from McFadden Dale hardware in the OC
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
never noticed those lamps that illuminate the racing numbers before.

cool.

must have looked good at night being tracked by helicopters filming.
rgalla9146
Marty don't forget that missing hinge bolt ! smile.gif
As usual your work is impeccable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.