Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
pete000
Was #40 at one of the early Dunkle Brothers shows around 2003 ish? I think I saw it there...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 6 2020, 06:02 PM) *

Was #40 at one of the early Dunkle Brothers shows around 2003 ish? I think I saw it there...

Yes it was, at the orig location of Dunkle Bros. on Katella with the 356 outlaw strung up + hangin' from the tree biggrin.gif
gereed75
What was the configuration (bore, stroke, cams) of the motor on the car when it ran at Leman? Was it a short stroke 2.4?

What is it now?

Thanks MARTY. So glad you have the car and are sharing it with the members in this way.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 7 2020, 05:48 AM) *

Yes it was, at the orig location of Dunkle Bros. on Katella with the 356 outlaw strung up + hangin' from the tree biggrin.gif

It was way back in 2000! How time flies... I remember because it was there that I shot the car for 911 & Porsche World magazine the next day.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 7 2020, 05:15 AM) *

What was the configuration (bore, stroke, cams) of the motor on the car when it ran at Leman? Was it a short stroke 2.4?

What is it now?

Thanks MARTY. So glad you have the car and are sharing it with the members in this way.

It ran the LM24hr in the 2L gt class...so I would suspect it was a 2L engine. FIA scrutineers can use whatever means to check an entrant's vehicle (including engines), and that would have been a big blow to Porsche to have a cheater engine discovered. The spec is basically a 906 style engine, minus the titanium rods. What is the spec of this engine Today ¿ Stay tuned as we discover...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Apr 7 2020, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 7 2020, 05:48 AM) *

It was way back in 2000! How time flies... I remember because it was there that I shot the car for 911 & Porsche World magazine the next day.

Dunkle Bros. Porsche exhibit + swap ; our motley Crew at your service . We all rolled up in the 3.2 4wd Syncro and set up shop with all sorts of parts and cold Coors Banquet brewskies beerchug.gif MattyLite was not of drinking age then ! My friend Mike (former #40 owner) and I had some great conversations that day.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I have a request. I'm doing a GT look resto-mod on a 6, and we are using a GT style fiberglass hood.

I'm working on the hood pins and brackets now. The upper two brackets are pretty straight forward, as the brackets already in place with a hole.

I need a measurement on the front hood pin brackets from the center of the pin to the inside corner of the weatherstrip channel, so I can get the pins in the correct location

Armando has the plates illustrated but no location for the front pins.
Maltese Falcon
Yes sir Perry...made a mental note on this for you thumb3d.gif
pete000
I thought I remember seeing it at the Dunkle show, I was not into 914's then and just walked buy it thinking it looked familiar...lol
IronHillRestorations
Mike Hagen brought it to one of the west coast Renegade Festivals, maybe 96? What a treat to see that car, and so awesome that it's in your stable Marty!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 7 2020, 11:17 AM) *

I have a request. I'm doing a GT look resto-mod on a 6, and we are using a GT style fiberglass hood.

I'm working on the hood pins and brackets now. The upper two brackets are pretty straight forward, as the brackets already in place with a hole.

I need a measurement on the front hood pin brackets from the center of the pin to the inside corner of the weatherstrip channel, so I can get the pins in the correct location

Armando has the plates illustrated but no location for the front pins.

Did a little bit of measuring for you today. These are pics and diagrams of the Driver (L) front corner area of front trunk.
" I " is the inside mounting plate, which is welded to the lower edge of the weather-strip channel. " II " is the outer plate that mounts to the exterior of the trunk (L) corner. Use the center -punch hole that I've indicated , and simply transfer down onto the inside mount plate. For Passenger ( R ) side...simply flip the patterns 180°

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
® corner detail, viewing the fasteners holding the plate above, on exterior of the fiberglass hood.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Handy measurements for you. The hood-pin-plate basicially mounts down to the corner of hood= flush to the 2 leading edges.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Very awesome Sir! I really appreciate your help Marty.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 10 2020, 10:44 PM) *

Very awesome Sir! I really appreciate your help Marty.

thumb3d.gif
Maltese Falcon
Lightweight
Click to view attachment
Schellmufsky_2
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 10 2020, 07:58 PM) *

® corner detail, viewing the fasteners holding the plate above, on exterior of the fiberglass hood.
Click to view attachment

.. if you are wondering about the green paint residue on the hood, the hood comes from this 914-6 which drove in 1971 in LM. I changed the hood because
the original hood was damaged, a hinge was broken. During this time I was looking for a replacement and found it from this Max Moritz car.

Click to view attachment
davep
I'm guessing the original fibreglass pieces have been NLA for a long time. I do have a NOS rear bumper though. What are the best replacement parts?
KSCarrera
This just came up on Facebook...

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Building the new Left and Right 9146gt header fabrication & mandrel-bending / welding fixtures for an upcoming small production run.
We will also mfg the L + R megaphone " Transitions " into the GT muffler; and also build a Locating Fixture for this style gt muffler (not building mufflers tho). Eventually I'll replicate the tail housing muffler-hanger as well.
The 2 muffler inlets are "Flangeless"...and rely on the Transition megaphones with an id / od slip-fit and gear-clamps to seal.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Got the old tattered poster up to snuff and into it's new glass framed home
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
New permanent home
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Found a small cardboard box in a corner of the 924gtr interior ( other car in this deal) ... this center-lock lug socket. It does fit the BBS wheels on the car, that's a good thing ! Our bud Mike informs me that the C/L lug socket was part of another car that he acquired with #40...the Kremer 935 K4- 01 driving.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Mike's 935 Kremer K4, I snapped this pic at the old RIR track.
This appears in Al Holbert's #14 Lowenbrau livery here.
935 K4 also ran in these other liveries; Jagermeister, Fitzpatrick, JDavid. It's currently in different ownership and for sale at Canepa.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
We have completed the mfg fixtures for the Left and Right 914-6gt racing headers, built directly from the originals (which are in xlnt shape), mandrel bending for the first 12 sets starting this week.
Interfacing Left and Right megaphone-extensions coming up next .
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
You are an amazing person, Marty....!!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 2 2020, 06:32 PM) *

You are an amazing person, Marty....!!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Lawrence...I must admit my small staff of guys (been with me for decades) are all a talent- extraordinaire; teamwork is dreamwork !
Cairo94507
Amazing stuff. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
In the 1980's when #40 was displayed at the Sinsheim Auto + Technik Museum, Deutschland. This was when our friend (and broker) Kerry Morse arranged the sale and transportation to the USA . Some other badA$$ cars in view; MBZ silver gullwing, Lancia (Stratos ¿) WEC car , a white 935'ish car ?
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A little time to squeeze in the GT header bending fabrication prototypes. Mandrel bending vid to post soon ¡
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
My kind of weekend therapy; Pines #2 rotary- hydraulic mandrel bending
Click to view attachment
pete000
How much different are the Factory GT headers vs the stock six exchangers?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ May 10 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Very different, they are donor headers borrowed from the 906. Shorter primaries, Long transitional secondaries (via megaphones).
Seems the Zuffenhausen tuners deemed these "Correct" for the duties of a very high compression , big cammed, twin plug, 46 ida webers, 220bhp, 2L , running mostly W-O-T for race circuit; totally too wild for daily street use. 916's on the other hand did use heater boxes, which also included a tap-in-duct (and flex tubing) for heating the aneroid (spl ¿) sensor on the mfi pump. Most m471's (as you know) ran with standard (long primary tube) 9146 HB's.
KELTY360
Marty, you must pinch yourself every time you walk in the shop and see the car. You've probably already mentioned it, but I'm old and forgetful; are you planning on running it at any of the historics?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 10 2020, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ May 10 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Very different, they are donor headers borrowed from the 906. Shorter primaries, Long transitional secondaries (via megaphones).
Seems the Zuffenhausen tuners deemed these "Correct" for the duties of a very high compression , big cammed, twin plug, 46 ida webers, 220bhp, 2L , running mostly W-O-T for race circuit; totally too wild for daily street use. 916's on the other hand did use heater boxes, which also included a tap-in-duct (and flex tubing) for heating the aneroid (spl ¿) sensor on the mfi pump. Most m471's (as you know) ran with standard (long primary tube) 9146 HB's.

I actually have a set of the Heat Exchangers for MFI. I used it too.

gms
groundhog decal and location on your car

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(gms @ May 11 2020, 10:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thx Glenn ¡
I've been told that depending on the time/ day / lap/ sponsor-op with this sticker; it was on the car...then off of the car. So run it OR not ??
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 10 2020, 08:03 PM) *

Marty, you must pinch yourself every time you walk in the shop and see the car. You've probably already mentioned it, but I'm old and forgetful; are you planning on running it at any of the historics?

Marc, we will eventually place the car at various themed 914 & Porsche happenings, tracks, Rennsport, etc. which will include demonstration laps. Don't know quite now if We're up for trading paint in full on Historic Racing .
The car is eligible for Worldwide FIA events, which may allow it into SCCA historic racing as well.
Marty
gms
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 11 2020, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ May 11 2020, 10:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thx Glenn ¡
I've been told that depending on the time/ day / lap/ sponsor-op with this sticker; it was on the car...then off of the car. So run it OR not ??

I think it is a cool touch
Maltese Falcon
My good bud Lane Skelton of DWA (Santa Cruz) "Driving While Awesome", just surprised me with one of his custom prints of #40 !
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 11 2020, 10:31 PM) *

My good bud Lane Skelton of DWA (Santa Cruz) "Driving While Awesome", just surprised me with one of his custom prints of #40 !
Click to view attachment

That is awesome!
Maltese Falcon
Very early style of 6-bolt magnesium valve covers; uppers are absent of the Porsche name, and lowers have some extra ribbing for strength. Engine type 901/25
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
GT muffler bracket attached to the trans nose cone, that allows the 2 band-clamps (911 style) to support the muffler
Click to view attachment
pete000
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2020, 06:24 PM) *

GT muffler bracket attached to the trans nose cone, that allows the 2 band-clamps (911 style) to support the muffler
Click to view attachment

Reproduction time, please ! welder.gif
pete000
Are those Mag covers warped, most are including the ones off my car, they now live in a bin on the shelf. Using Modified Turbo Covers...Keeps the garage floor a bit cleaner lol
SO.O.C914er
Marty I got a close look at #40 at Jeff’s shop last week. I promise I didn’t touch it! Haha. Looks great......Drive on Paul. driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 15 2020, 06:35 PM) *

Are those Mag covers warped, most are including the ones off my car, they now live in a bin on the shelf. Using Modified Turbo Covers...Keeps the garage floor a bit cleaner lol

Yes I do recall my old 2.7 lower covers, used to constantly put them across a lapping stone to get flat. On these covers (906, 911R style) it looks like these were cast with the additional 1/4" ribs , in order to keep them flat when the engine ran higher temps in competition. These will be restored, then coated with black ceramic...looking to keep the #40 pure to its bones as possible.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 15 2020, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2020, 06:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Reproduction time, please ! welder.gif

Seems simple enough to mfg a short run of these...I'll put it on the list !
sixnotfour
Pretty interesting rocker covers, that muffler mount is unique also, I have this one , and have made a bunch, slightly simpler..
https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/25983784
burton73
The one that PMB built for my 6

Bob BClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.