Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Maltese Falcon
Getting closer, a few pics of our newly manufactured gt style headers; these are 1.625" od and ceramic coated in satin silver
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
o2 ports for a/F sampling; installed in the left and right collectors.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Drivers side
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 29 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wont the o2 bung be to low in the clock position and cause o2 sensor failure?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 29 2021, 10:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Can you put heater boxes on them? I need a set of short heat exchangers like these headers so I can put mufflers on my car and get rid of the supertrapps.

Clay
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2021, 04:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Can you put heater boxes on them? I need a set of short heat exchangers like these headers so I can put mufflers on my car and get rid of the supertrapps.

Clay

Clay, just find a local sheet metal shop to form the 18 or 20 gauge "Clam-shells" on the break, and that's 75% of fabbing' the custom HB's. You can easily make the cardboard samples for the shop. There's a good section towards the rear of these headers that are on a flat plane.
There's a set here in large tube 1.75" od (4.0L) with Clay & Betty's name on them; RuF recently took 2 sets for their vintage GT builds number40_914.jpg

Not a problem @mb911 on the lambda probes, as we only insert them on test + tune days, then replace with the threaded port-plugs. Clearance is the issue, so hence the placement of the ports.
Shivers
When you post up new stuff, it's like the Christmas Sears catalog has arrived again... smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 30 2021, 09:33 AM) *

When you post up new stuff, it's like the Christmas Sears catalog has arrived again... smile.gif

You are slits.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2021, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 30 2021, 09:33 AM) *

You are slits.gif

Hahaha, yes I am, feeling really old right now. Lol
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 30 2021, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 29 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wont the o2 bung be to low in the clock position and cause o2 sensor failure?

I was curious of the same, from my understanding they should be installed between 10 and 2 O clock for moisture reasons?

BTW: thanks being a good steward for #40. An amazing piece of history, I often tell of the 1970 Lemans endurance race finishing 6th behind a couple 917's and a couple 512's. Simply amazing, and many of us have an example in our own garages.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2021, 05:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Clay

No Supertraps.. beerchug.gif will sound So much Better driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
We have even kept the o2 ports on the lambda year (approx 1981-up) 911s just "Off of horizontal" angle @930cabman , again for purposes of clearence and allowing the Tech free removal space for the valve cover; without the need to (usually) unscrew a thermal-seized o2 probe .
Never had a client complaint about failed o2 probe(s) due to placement ; and my client experience with Bosch or Denso o2 probes = 50k to 80k miles of good use.
On the FIA style gt (#40) headers, there's probably slim chance of moisture buildup due to the amount of fresh air that immediately enters (upon engine shut off) those twin thermos sized straight through muffler tips/ megaphones , and at approx 24" you're right at the collectors.
Side Note; the Sonauto #40 had lady luck with her all 24 hours. Just Imagine that the $2.50 part that fails at hour 23 ½ just cost you the race...didn't happen to #40 !

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Whenever an acquaintance questions my new 914's in the collection, I chime in with a short story of the 1970 Lemans 24 hour race. Generally that will quiet most naysayers.
Only the mighty 917 and a couple 512's could keep this baby at bay

Curious: I know you never ask a girls weight, but could you make an exception?

Thanks again for posting and being a great steward of #40
Maltese Falcon
Quick Vic Elford makes his getaway; I spy Sonauto back there !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This week's shop action
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Pipes
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another look at our 1.625" od gt style headers, 1,750° f ceramic coated /satin silver.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
A thing of beauty. beerchug.gif
emerygt350
Wow. why does that engine bay look so much more spacious than mine! I don't have 2 of those cylinders!
Dion
Thanks for the updates Marty. Love seeing this historic beast. So glad
Your the custodian.
wonkipop
whens dumpy getting stuck on smile.gif ?
Maltese Falcon
@MATTYLITE putting in the long hours & elbow grease on #40. Rumor has it that the next ('22 ) Historics at WeatherTech Laguna Seca "Featured Marque" will be LeMans cars !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 16 2021, 06:11 PM) *

whens dumpy getting stuck on smile.gif ?

Any Day now ¡!
Thank you for your comments ! @Cairo94507 @emerygt350 welcome.png and @Dion
Marty number40_914.jpg
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2021, 08:28 PM) *

Marty number40_914.jpg

I am glad you seem to like Betty's smilie for #40.
Shivers
Sure is looking fine, thinking about getting one of my own. wink.gif first.gif

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2021, 06:18 PM) *

Rumor has it that the next ('22 ) Historics at WeatherTech Laguna Seca "Featured Marque" will be LeMans cars !

Now, that would be an inspired choice on their part. Let's hope, let's hope—and, either way, I cannot wait to see #40 back on track.
horizontally-opposed
Obviously two very different setups. Marty, what's your take on each?
horizontally-opposed
Obviously one is part of the GT "rally muffler" setup below.

Which has me wondering if those intermediary pipes between the headers and the mufflers could be utilized for catalysts or even cats with heater boxes for those who need or want catalysts in a street car. Suspect cats would supercharge a very small heater box, too. idea.gif

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 17 2021, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2021, 08:28 PM) *

Marty number40_914.jpg

I am glad you seem to like Betty's smilie for #40.

We love it Clay & nice surprise from Betty...it's like being Knighted here; almost like Sir Andy ! andy914.jpg

@Shivers how's it handle as a Daily ? biggrin.gif
gereed75
Pete, That is a really interesting thought. I have always thought about the application of an aviation style heat muff for our cars as a more simple alternative to the stock heat shrouds. The problem with that is they need an un-obstructed section of straight pipe to fit onto, and that does just not exist on the stock headers or on most other headers. See this

http://www.velocedge.com/Starduster/Projec...ter/Default.asp

But this configuration does provide that straight section. The issue would be getting the blown air routed back to this section and then returning it to the heat pipes.

I think maybe this deserves some further thought and its own thread so as not to detract from #40 worship.

Gotta say that #40 is the holy grail and Marty and crew are the perfect custodians. Sometimes life and karma do produce the perfect match!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 19 2021, 06:16 AM) *

Pete, That is a really interesting thought. I have always thought about the application of an aviation style heat muff for our cars as a more simple alternative to the stock heat shrouds. The problem with that is they need an un-obstructed section of straight pipe to fit onto, and that does just not exist on the stock headers or on most other headers. See this

http://www.velocedge.com/Starduster/Projec...ter/Default.asp

But this configuration does provide that straight section. The issue would be getting the blown air routed back to this section and then returning it to the heat pipes.

I think maybe this deserves some further thought and its own thread so as not to detract from #40 worship.

Gotta say that #40 is the holy grail and Marty and crew are the perfect custodians. Sometimes life and karma do produce the perfect match!

Agree with all your points—particularly that last one.

Those straight pipes really do provide for some interesting options, and small HEs would be one of the best of them. I would be interested in cats with HEs as I would love to have a cleaner 914—though I'd want to weigh that against the implications for engine oil temps and transaxle oil temps. The heat muffler you linked is very, very interesting—as is the flapper box in the pics, particularly if it seals better than the Porsche flappers. The new ones I bought years ago still bled heat from my SSIs, which was super annoying on hot days. sad.gif

Agree about the question on how to get the heat forward again, to the flapper boxes, but suspect fairly elegant heat return tubes could be made to work. One begins to wonder if the GT headers could also provide an easier way to do valve adjustments, if the straight pipes and muffler could be left in place? How cool would that be? Looking at some of those GT hangars/mounts with increased interest now, as I am wondering if they support the front of the straight pipes? Or if that is even necessary for a valve adjust?

Yes, a separate thread is probably warranted to avoid polluting this one—but this fantastic thread on #40, a 914 that has been inspiring me for more than 30 years and is prominently displayed in the 000 office, prompted the crazy thought. Which gets me back to your last point… beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Engine/ transaxle installed, and Dunpy has landed on the rear flares...been MIA for about 50 years !
I've had the Dunpy stickers professionally printed , and have a small stock on hand/ Dm me if you're interested number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
dunpy!!!! beerchug.gif
rgalla9146

So cool to see.
Thanks for sharing and not turning it into jewelry.
Rennsport..... Laguna......mmmmmm
Great job Marty.
Dion
Sweet! cheer.gif first.gif
Shivers
I wonder if Lord Carnarvon felt like this peering at Tut's ride. Very cool Marty
IronHillRestorations
Several months ago Marty took some measurements and made a drawing for me of the lower hood plates. Is there a chance he could make me a drawing for the upper plates too? @Maltese Falcon @MATTYLITE

Thanks! You guys are the best!!
KELTY360
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 6 2021, 09:52 PM) *

dunpy!!!! beerchug.gif

How soon before those wheel wells get filled up?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 11 2021, 05:55 PM) *

Several months ago Marty took some measurements and made a drawing for me of the lower hood plates. Is there a chance he could make me a drawing for the upper plates too? @Maltese Falcon @MATTYLITE

Def will pit this on the to-do list for you...sharpening up the #2 pencil !
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 11 2021, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 6 2021, 09:52 PM) *

dunpy!!!! beerchug.gif

How soon before those wheel wells get filled up?

Bouncing around on several projs' Marc, almost there.
Don't you just love cookies ¿ shades.gif
Martin Baker
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 6 2021, 09:39 PM) *

Engine/ transaxle installed, and Dunpy has landed on the rear flares...been MIA for about 50 years !
I've had the Dunpy stickers professionally printed , and have a small stock on hand/ Dm me if you're interested number40_914.jpg

Your Welcome.

MB
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 13 2021, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 6 2021, 09:39 PM) *

Your Welcome.

MB

And thank you Martin (in his #40) for your research into the long lost Dunpy, then forwarding us the graphics to get over to print. This 914World calender has not moved from March 2016, and we get an eyeful of it everytime we're in this room aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Very special Marty! Can't believe I missed this whole thread.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 17 2021, 04:21 AM) *

Never enough projects Rick ! Are you finishing up the R-Gruppe 914 ? smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 17 2021, 07:13 PM) *

It's on the Celette. I thought I had the perfect pats car but it may turn out to be too nice to be a donor.

I have been thinking a lot about your 928 headers though. Specially after reading through this thread. aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 17 2021, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 17 2021, 07:13 PM) *

It's on the Celette. I thought I had the perfect pats car but it may turn out to be too nice to be a donor.

I have been thinking a lot about your 928 headers though. Specially after reading through this thread. aktion035.gif

... 928 headers now upgraded to newer Gen2 Merged Collector design / hand built and decent power bump smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 11 2021, 04:55 PM) *

Perry @IronHillRestorations , the upper plates just use the OE corner-pieces (where the rubber adjusters fit). The pin centers are 1.5" center-to-edge (weather-strip) channel...in red.
Hope this helps !
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Cleaned up the neglected Lamp wiring for the rear trunk "40" night illumination. It picks up its power from the (former) engine compartment light.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 17 2021, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 11 2021, 04:55 PM) *

Perry @IronHillRestorations , the upper plates just use the OE corner-pieces (where the rubber adjusters fit). The pin centers are 1.5" center-to-edge (weather-strip) channel...in red.
Hope this helps !
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@ Maltese Falcon Thanks Marty, but I was asking about the plate on the hood. You made a nice drawing of the lower hood plate, but I need the upper too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.