Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
tygaboy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 11 2020, 07:25 PM) *

Interesting find in the mfi-drive cover plate; 3 French 1/2 Francs used as shim spacers biggrin.gif

Exactly what I'd expect in a Le Mans car! lol-2.gif
AZBanks
27 cents profit right there.

The engine looks amazing.
pete000
Well that just proves she is legit ! you must keep it in there!
Maltese Falcon
Engine builder says that the Drive on the cam-tower is not ribbed as in an MFI pump; but has a specific slot machined into the face. He says that an hour-meter could have been driven off of it via cable-drive.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Something to this example , small 2 1/16" dia. gauge
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
906. 911R , 910 Tach drive..
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 14 2020, 02:14 PM) *

906. 911R , 910 Tach drive..

Tach drive makes sense , various components on this 2L are 906
Maltese Falcon
A bunch of straightening out on these pieces, but finally off to the powder coater
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
The right rear engine tin in the picture is modified so that it can be installed or removed
on a dressed engine.
The MFI pump drive can be installed and adjusted at build
time rather than at the track.
Neat idea.
No evidence of Carrera chain tensioners.

BTW the car appears briefly in the thread 'Old 914 Footage'

Fantastic ! Marty keep the pics coming. You lucky dog.
Maltese Falcon
In good company...parked, but still in front of the 911's
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
another view of the 2L
Click to view attachment
pete000
Dig the way mechanical tachometers read !
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 20 2020, 10:35 AM) *

another view of the 2L
Click to view attachment

Looks serious Marty even in this state! Very nice! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 20 2020, 06:58 PM) *

Dig the way mechanical tachometers read !

First saw one in action while sitting in Chandler's 917/30 under way at RIR; reminded me of the clicking hands of a clock smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Few more engine build pics
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...2.0L
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Getting there !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
After the engine is buttoned up, the tail-shift transaxle goes into surgery
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
drooley.gif

What kind of redline does #40 have?
mepstein
Is there any major difference from #40 trans and a stock one?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 1 2020, 06:11 PM) *

drooley.gif

The 2L (1,991 cc) is a type #901/25 with 10.3:1 c/r 220 bhp @ 8,000 rpm, 152 lb/ft @ 6,200 rpm . Better endurance mods that were upgraded in this o'haul were case-squirters, and Aasco high perf valve springs/ retainers.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2020, 06:43 PM) *

Is there any major difference from #40 trans and a stock one?

We will discover what is in there on "Opening day" and report back !
I'm interested in the gearing sets chosen in this gearbox as well smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 1 2020, 08:01 PM) *

drooley.gif

The 2L (1,991 cc) is a type #901/25 with 10.3:1 c/r 220 bhp @ 8,000 rpm, 152 lb/ft @ 6,200 rpm . Better endurance mods that were upgraded in this o'haul were case-squirters, and Aasco high perf valve springs/ retainers.

Educate me, isn't 1800 rpm a pretty wide range between peak hp and tq?
krazykonrad
Is that a Magneti Marelli distributor or a Bosch?
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 2 2020, 07:23 AM) *

Is that a Magneti Marelli distributor or a Bosch?

Marelli equipped with (as far as I can see) : 4 sets of ign points, no-mech advance. Makes sense that it will be cruel to street drive...but was not its intended purpose smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 1 2020, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 1 2020, 08:01 PM) *

drooley.gif

Educate me, isn't 1800 rpm a pretty wide range between peak hp and tq?

Just specs out of our Porsche tech's publication; final verdict comes
with the engine dyno report/ charts coming up before the mill gets planted back into the 'teener. We will post up then thumb3d.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 2 2020, 08:46 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Love that light, great idea!!!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 2 2020, 08:46 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Allan F. (head eng/trans tech) is a genius, he also suspends his small bag of Chips from a long ceiling wire with an alligator clip. During ant season...the little buggers can't breech the skinny-wire road to the snacks !
@JmuRiz
Maltese Falcon
Continuing with the 9146 GT exhaust muffler + megaphone assembly-fixtures; repro parts for the future of Historic Racing FIA/SCCA/ HSA.
There's a handful of different metric dia's / and cone angles all going on here !
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
You're a master of metal. Trying to wrap my head around how it bolts up to the headers. Too early in AM. Lots of 90* angles for the gases? What goes in the center gap? The exhaust note at 8k must be exquisite.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 19 2020, 10:05 AM) *

You're a master of metal. Trying to wrap my head around how it bolts up to the headers. Too early in AM. Lots of 90* angles for the gases? What goes in the center gap? The exhaust note at 8k must be exquisite.

I think it’s a welding jig. It holds the flanges and pipes to get welded but not in the orientation for the car.
sixnotfour
The exhaust note at 8k must be exquisite.

kevin, same setup as my GT, you forgot what it sounds like ??
rhodyguy
Just from the passes across the Columbia at Hood River. Too far away and I was a bit drunk at the time. Feeble memory IYCMMIYGMD.
Shivers
Hey dude, wow...Congratulations! A quick question on the body work. Are those rear flares the original ones? And is it my imagination, or are those wider than the m471 supplied flares? Thanks and dang, congrats again.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 19 2020, 07:05 AM) *

Just an assmbley fixture that holds 3 components of the final exhaust/ not how they fit or appear on the GT.
I do have a couple of great fabricators in the workshop, sometimes I just feel like " Mongo just a pawn with a hand-grinder in the game of Life " biggrin.gif
maj75
What is the gauge set-up on the left? Is it a 911 gauge with separate gas gauge?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(maj75 @ Dec 19 2020, 12:03 PM) *

What is the gauge set-up on the left? Is it a 911 gauge with separate gas gauge?

Appears to be something from the Zuffenhausen parts bin, in that 1969-70 911 period. Fuel gauge is a stand-alone VDO unit.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 19 2020, 10:08 AM) *

Hey dude, wow...Congratulations! A quick question on the body work. Are those rear flares the original ones? And is it my imagination, or are those wider than the m471 supplied flares? Thanks and dang, congrats again.

Paul...your eyes are not mistaken as these fenders were prototypes, hammered over bucks by hand. Slightly wider than the oe m471 stampings , and the lower contours a bit different as well.
I checked these against my black six , converted to GT tribute in late '80s, with Factory sourced panels; Fender flare profiles + width have slight differences. Thank you for your interest ¡
Larmo63
Marty's new nickname is M O N G O !!!!

Merry Christmas, Marty & family!

See you some time in the new year.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 19 2020, 05:49 PM) *

Marty's new nickname is M O N G O !!!!

Merry Christmas, Marty & family!

See you some time in the new year.

Hey Lawrence...how did I not see that coming ¿! but you know I'm kind to animals and would never slug a horse smile.gif
Have a great Holiday season, keep safe & strong...will def see you in '21 driving.gif
Shivers
Thanks Marty, they look so cool and being original they give me permission to look closer at the pics and make my own copy. Fronts look close to the m471 flare.
Maltese Falcon
Going into the transaxle overhaul this week, the gear sets that we discovered are; A,F,O,S,X ...perhaps factory set for the LeMans course (1970's). Also in there is factory limited slip. There will be several upgrades made, but keeping the tail shifter in place for its period correctness...it actually shifts pretty good !
Maltese Falcon
I was setting up the 2 megaphones for marking L and R (letter punch) just before sending off for ceramic coating, and revealed these small center punch marks.
2 = R side , 1 = L side...who didn't know that ¿ smile.gif Click to view attachment
davep
Gears A,F,O,S,X are a very interesting set. Almost like A&F are used to get out on to the track, and the rest are selected for the important sections. X seems a little short for the Mulsanne straight though.
Maltese Falcon
Gear sets now utilized wil be A,F,M,S,X as the transitions are better. Our trans guru thinks along your same understanding, previous "O" gears set up for the certain areas of the track layout. Mulsanne Staight speeds ("X" gears) using almost all of the engine's 8k redline seemed reliable (on paper) for the 24 hour stretch. The recipe worked smile.gif
@davep
Maltese Falcon
For engine-dyno day I'll be using our 38mm i.d. GT merge collector style headers. The tube size matches the cyl exhaust ports, which are 38 mm as well...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The dyno shop will run the final muffler as well during tests.
We will ceramic coat all exhaust components afterwards; then make the final install after the drive train goes back into #40.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Cool stuff Marty - happy '21!

I agree an X top gear at 8K is about as fast or faster than you'd wanna be going in a non-aero 914 ... My current 5th is a V and that's ~135mph which is pucker time
slivel
My short gear box is AFMSX and long box is AFNSY. With 275-45/16 Hoosiers the car would top out at 150 and this was needed at Miller Motorsports (now UMC). My car never felt nervous or light at that speed. A little downward rake helps, I think. My crank fired ignition was set to 7500 cut off but I tried to keep my shifting to 7000 whenever I could.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.