Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Xbox Gamers? 914/6 Spec Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Richard Casto
I tend to agree that the car needs to be spec or at least have some required mods. I understand the comment about not being able to enforce this, but at a minimum if someone cheats they will have to keep it below a specific PI value. Another option is that we build up a totally spec car and someone locks that design and sells it to each of us for free in the marketplace. My understanding is that you can’t tweak locked cars? Anyhow, this is for fun and we have to have some level of trust.

Here is spec car proposal…

1. Set a rough target HP and target weight
2. Specify a spec wheel, wheel size and rubber type and width front and rear
3. Racing brakes (full adjustability)
4. Racing suspension (full adjustability)
5. Racing front and rear sway bars (full adjustability)
6. Whatever transmission allows adjustment of the final drive
7. No diff changes, or maybe allow a non-adjustable diff (sport?)
8. No wings

This basically locks in the suspension, brakes, transmission. Then we play with specific engine and weight reduction tweaks to get our target HP and weight. We let the PI fall wherever it ends up. Whatever the combo we decide upon the engine and weight reduction mods become standard. This leaves everyone free to make whatever suspension setup changes they want (camber, toe, ride height, shocks, springs, front rear bars), some minor brake adjustments and some minor transmissions adjustments.

I don’t think we need to build a monster car and should go with the spirit of a 914 which is low weight and relatively low HP. So I am proposing a weight that is just below 2000 lbs and 200 HP +/-.
underthetire
I chose pretty much "sport" everything other than air filter. Although I didn't win, I stuck in pretty good. The biggest thing I see with the car is handling. I set sway bars to a pretty soft setting, only 16" wheels with sticky tires. Do about a ten minute tuning run, you can stop in the middle and adjust stuff. Found lower tire pressure made a big difference, as well as a softer suspention. I was well under 200HP and can hit 125 flat and straight. I set my gearing "final drive" to a very short setting, allowing 5th gear to actually be of use. Just my .02. Oh, and only the 205/50 upgrade on tire width.
Richard Casto
I will try to publish exactly what I did later, but I will have to go from memory. I picked the full suspension upgrade. I lowered the car, but not all the way. I did a slight amount of toe out in front, no change to rear. About 1 deg front camber and about .8 degree rear camber. I lowered tire pressure to help tires warm up faster (since we ran such short races). I didn't have time to tweak brakes at all. I think I did sport weight reduction. My personal opinion is that people go crazy with weight reduction and this results in not much left to do with respect to motor upgrades. I used the transmission upgrade that allowed final drive tweak. I picked a random semi-light weight wheel. I then spent the rest of my "PI budget" on HP. I was a few PI short of 275, so I picked a few weight reductions to hit 275. I didn't change spring settings, didn't even buy roll bars. In short my tweaks consisted of some alignment tweaks and one gearing tweak.
6freak
Click to view attachmentI wanted #24 hissyfit.gif but I`ll take #6.....sorry ive not been on ...I was in eastern Oregon on a snowmobile trip
poorsche914
Hey all... Last night I gifted a spec E275 tuning setup to EVERYBODY on my Friends List.
Has most suspension mods, brakes, 16" rims, etc The set up is NOT locked which will allow you to TUNE it by adjusting brake bias, suspension settings, gearing, etc.

With this setup, every car will have the same upgrades, same HP, same torque, same weight.
One variation is the rim style - there are several from which to choose that are all the same weight.

Is there any way to check to be sure a driver has applied this exact spec setup? busted_cop.gif
No, not really. Just gonna have to go on the honor system.

Realize, however, that both driving style and assists used can make a BIG difference in how a car performs. MDB2.gif driving.gif

Haven't decided on the track for next Sunday's race so I have added a poll on the Teener Simracing League forum. Please go vote.
underthetire
Oh crap. I have to re-paint. Is there a way to copy the paint from a whole car over ?
poorsche914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 12 2010, 11:47 AM) *

I will try to publish exactly what I did later, but I will have to go from memory. I picked the full suspension upgrade. I lowered the car, but not all the way. I did a slight amount of toe out in front, no change to rear. About 1 deg front camber and about .8 degree rear camber. I lowered tire pressure to help tires warm up faster (since we ran such short races). I didn't have time to tweak brakes at all. I think I did sport weight reduction. My personal opinion is that people go crazy with weight reduction and this results in not much left to do with respect to motor upgrades. I used the transmission upgrade that allowed final drive tweak. I picked a random semi-light weight wheel. I then spent the rest of my "PI budget" on HP. I was a few PI short of 275, so I picked a few weight reductions to hit 275. I didn't change spring settings, didn't even buy roll bars. In short my tweaks consisted of some alignment tweaks and one gearing tweak.

Whatever you did sure worked well. Plus, I think driver skill is an important factor there as well. There were times when you and I were running pretty close and then I would run wide or brake too much and next thing I knew you were 2000 meters ahead of me!!!

I like full weight reduction vs adding engine mods since the net HP:weight ratio is better. I haven't fully investigated it, but sometimes you can choose a "sport" version rather than a "race" version without losing too much performance. I have been trying less tire with more HP and though the handling is pushing to the limits, a lot of it can be tuned via suspension settings.
Richard Casto
Thanks for providing a spec setup. In addition to gifting that setup, I think we should publish exactly what it consists of, so there will be no doubt.

As you say, even with the exact same setup, you are going to see a big difference based upon driving style and assists. With these cars being relatively low powered, if you are able to not scrub off speed and get a good flow going you can carry more speed through one turn after another. Sunday we raced Road Atlanta and I managed to do a magic lap that was 2-3 seconds faster than anyone else, but I was not able to get within a second of that one lap later on in the race. It was all about maintaining flow over an entire lap.

With everyone driving a spec car it WILL tighten things up a lot in my opinion.

Regarding Sunday nights race, I don't know if I can attend as I will be in OH at Dr. Evil's transmission clinic. sad.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 12 2010, 01:41 PM) *

Oh crap. I have to re-paint. Is there a way to copy the paint from a whole car over ?

YES... while in the paint booth with the car you want to copy, press the START button and then SAVE TO CATALOG.
Then, go back out to your garage and select your new car, go back to main paint page and then LOAD DESIGN or however it is worded.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 12 2010, 01:48 PM) *

Thanks for providing a spec setup. In addition to gifting that setup, I think we should publish exactly what it consists of, so there will be no doubt.

As you say, even with the exact same setup, you are going to see a big difference based upon driving style and assists. With these cars being relatively low powered, if you are able to not scrub off speed and get a good flow going you can carry more speed through one turn after another. Sunday we raced Road Atlanta and I managed to do a magic lap that was 2-3 seconds faster than anyone else, but I was not able to get within a second of that one lap later on in the race. It was all about maintaining flow over an entire lap.

With everyone driving a spec car it WILL tighten things up a lot in my opinion.

Regarding Sunday nights race, I don't know if I can attend as I will be in OH at Dr. Evil's transmission clinic. sad.gif

I have posted the exact upgrade items on the Teener Simracing League forum.
Trying to get everyone to move this conversation to that forum but guess it will take time. smile.gif

Yeah, that lap you mention was FAST! Nice job.

We'll miss you next Sunday but there will be plenty of races in the future. Have fun in OH. I really wanted to go to one of the Doc's clinics but had to work a car show so I missed the ATL session sad.gif
underthetire
Where are the hole shot vintage wheels in that class? I want my wheels !
poorsche914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 12 2010, 02:02 PM) *

Where are the hole shot vintage wheels in that class? I want my wheels !

Those are some cool wheels... probably heavier than the selected weight. I chose the wheel weight that had the largest number of rims available. Sorry if yours weren't included. sad.gif

EDIT: I just checked... the Hole Shot rims are 17# LIGHTER than the weight selected. Wow!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 12 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Click to view attachmentI wanted #24 hissyfit.gif but I`ll take #6.....sorry ive not been on ...I was in eastern Oregon on a snowmobile trip

Sorry................. NOT!!!! poke.gif

Click to view attachment

racerx9146
I would suggest that we turn crash damage on full next week. Might get some drivers to exercise a little care if there are consequences to aggresive driving.
underthetire
blush.gif

Sorry. I did practice that Nurmboring track.
underthetire
Hey, that new page layout on the sim site is MUCH better ! Thank you, and thank you for all the work you have put in to it. beer.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 12 2010, 04:14 PM) *

Hey, that new page layout on the sim site is MUCH better ! Thank you, and thank you for all the work you have put in to it. beer.gif

Thanks, I appreciate your input. The black looked cool but was very difficult to navigate. beerchug.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jan 12 2010, 02:58 PM) *

I would suggest that we turn crash damage on full next week. Might get some drivers to exercise a little care if there are consequences to aggresive driving.

Might give that a try since we will be able to pit if necessary and at least get mechanical damage fixed. The cosmetic will still be there and if bad enough will cause loss in performance!
mojorisen914
Just bought my copy of the game. Now if I only had my console here I could race, I mean crash some cars....lmao. The console should be here sometime next week. Looking forward to some online racing with you guys!
poorsche914
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 13 2010, 03:12 PM) *

Just bought my copy of the game. Now if I only had my console here I could race, I mean crash some cars....lmao. The console should be here sometime next week. Looking forward to some online racing with you guys!

Hope you can join us with such a time difference... you are 8 hours ahead of me (eastern) and 5 hours ahead of the west coast guys. Gonna be some late night/early mornings!
mojorisen914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 14 2010, 01:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 13 2010, 03:12 PM) *

Hope you can join us with such a time difference... you are 8 hours ahead of me (eastern) and 5 hours ahead of the west coast guys. Gonna be some late night/early mornings!

That's what my weekends are for! LOL. I'm holding the game right now....just itching to open it!!
Game on!
6freak
I will be on tonite ....around 5pm PST...practice pratice pratice
stepuptotheMike
I got my spec 275 car setup. I will try and get on this evening for a little bit of practice.

Mike
poorsche914
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jan 16 2010, 11:30 AM) *

I got my spec 275 car setup. I will try and get on this evening for a little bit of practice.

Mike

NEXT RACE: Sunday at Maple Valley. 30 laps on the long course. Prerace chat lobby opens 9:00pmET/6:00pmPT
Limited to FIRST 7 players to join stemisch in the chat lobby.

More info HERE IPB Image
Brent
my number request has been submitted.
6freak
QUOTE(Brent @ Jan 16 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Request a # ????? Ive got 6 Cause Clay`s got 24
poorsche914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 16 2010, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Brent @ Jan 16 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Request a # ????? Ive got 6 Cause Clay`s got 24

Yep, all number requests have been recorded. List is HERE.
6freak
Cool got the # i second most wanted ...works for me ...Thanks
poorsche914
Just got done running 30 laps at Maple Valley. Took just under an hour. Cool thing is... the fuel gauge works!!! driving.gif
Zimms
Just requested number 23.
underthetire
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 16 2010, 06:55 PM) *

Just got done running 30 laps at Maple Valley. Took just under an hour. Cool thing is... the fuel gauge works!!! driving.gif

Thats the one thing they missed on the game, everything works on every car !
poorsche914
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 16 2010, 10:38 PM) *

You have been added to the list.
Zimms
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 16 2010, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 16 2010, 10:38 PM) *

You have been added to the list.

Thanks!
Brent
For the others who don't get in for the 8, can they still watch / spectator mode? Is there a limit on spectators?
poorsche914
QUOTE(Brent @ Jan 16 2010, 11:11 PM) *

For the others who don't get in for the 8, can they still watch / spectator mode? Is there a limit on spectators?

Unfortunately, the limit is 8 whether participating or spectating.
I guess we could run 2 lobbies if it came down to that. But it is so much fun with a full room!
Would have to run some qualifying laps and divide up by lap times.
Guess we will wait and see how many show up to race.
6freak
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 16 2010, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Brent @ Jan 16 2010, 11:11 PM) *

Unfortunately, the limit is 8 whether participating or spectating.
I guess we could run 2 lobbies if it came down to that. But it is so much fun with a full room!
Would have to run some qualifying laps and divide up by lap times.
Guess we will wait and see how many show up to race.

Qualifying ...now your talk`n
stepuptotheMike
Really looking forward to tonights race. BTW, I made a post on the club board directing folks to the simracing forum. I hadn't seen any posts over there on the topic, so figured the more the merrier.

Mike
stepuptotheMike
Side note. If there are any of you out there that are sitting on the fence about joining us because your XBOX Live membership is expired or you don't have one...... Walmart has 12 month Gold membership cards for only $30.

http://www.walmart.com/Xbox-12-Month-Gold-Card/ip/11070919

Mike
poorsche914
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jan 17 2010, 07:45 AM) *

Side note. If there are any of you out there that are sitting on the fence about joining us because your XBOX Live membership is expired or you don't have one...... Walmart has 12 month Gold membership cards for only $30.

http://www.walmart.com/Xbox-12-Month-Gold-Card/ip/11070919

Mike

Wow, that is a great price. I recently got my 12 month subscription off ebay for just under $40 and thought I got a deal.

And thanks for posting on the club site. I had thought about it but never got around to it.
Brent
Wow, that is a great deal! I have mine at recurring 39.99. But I would love to save 10 bucks these days.
Brent
sorry I missed it guys. Been working on my Wheel table. Finish is drying now, then reassembly tonight.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Brent @ Jan 17 2010, 10:49 PM) *

sorry I missed it guys. Been working on my Wheel table. Finish is drying now, then reassembly tonight.

It was a good, long race. Hope to see you next time.

See the Teener Simracing Forum for photos and video.
mojorisen914
Just got my Xbox in the mail and all setup!!!! I'm stoked! I'll put it online later tonight or tomorrow and send out my FR's. Hopefully there will be some of you guys racing this weekend.
My gamertag is BADJUJU70.
6freak
gonna have to come up with more then one race cause there quit a few guys running now ...but cool one of those smart guys will figure it out and set it up ..points are already adding up so dont mess around .....P.S whats the next track ...I need to test and tune
poorsche914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 21 2010, 02:56 PM) *

gonna have to come up with more then one race cause there quit a few guys running now ...but cool one of those smart guys will figure it out and set it up ..points are already adding up so dont mess around .....P.S whats the next track ...I need to test and tune

Only one vote so far for next track.
You can vote HERE

I will post track(s) Friday afternoon so you guys can practice. Be sure to have the correct tuning setup installed. Upgrades are listed HERE

Seems no more than 8 show up to race so we are good so far. If we end up with more then we can set up two rooms no problem.

Mojorisen - will send an FR to you a GT list of all the 914 racers.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 21 2010, 10:40 AM) *

Just got my Xbox in the mail and all setup!!!! I'm stoked! I'll put it online later tonight or tomorrow and send out my FR's. Hopefully there will be some of you guys racing this weekend.
My gamertag is BADJUJU70.

send an FR to stemisch
when I try to add BADJUJU70 it says there is no such user.
mojorisen914
Need help guys.

The internet I have in my apartment is run my an individual. I need to be able to put my Xbox online without telling him. I know he might eventually find out but not for awhile.
I have a login page that appears everytime I get on the internet. After I log on; I don't have to keep logging on (if that makes sense). My current config is: ethernet cable from wall to switch. From switch to computer and xbox. The computer is working fine but can't get the xbox to connect.
If anyone can help me out; I would appreciate it.

As far as my gamertag; my account expired last month and once I connect the xbox; I'll buy a new membership to xbox live.

Try BAD JUJU70

Thanks.
6freak
went to the page and could`nt figure out how to vote ??? confused24.gif ....Road Atlanta ..3 ten lap races .....or 3 ten lap races at each track would be cool also ..but if were gonna be on one track make it Road Atlanta...with at least one pit stop mandatory maybe even two ....seeya all Sunday at 6pm driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 22 2010, 02:48 PM) *

went to the page and could`nt figure out how to vote ??? confused24.gif ....Road Atlanta ..3 ten lap races .....or 3 ten lap races at each track would be cool also ..but if were gonna be on one track make it Road Atlanta...with at least one pit stop mandatory maybe even two ....seeya all Sunday at 6pm driving.gif

You probably got there after I closed voting.

We will be racing 10 laps each on 4 different tracks from mini track to long track. All the info is now posted on the forum page Race #2 - Spain 10 Lap Challenge (for non members, you will have to join the forum to view)

I will be on later tonight if you want to run some practice laps at these tracks and also to be sure your setup is the correct one.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 22 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Need help guys.

The internet I have in my apartment is run my an individual. I need to be able to put my Xbox online without telling him. I know he might eventually find out but not for awhile.
I have a login page that appears everytime I get on the internet. After I log on; I don't have to keep logging on (if that makes sense). My current config is: ethernet cable from wall to switch. From switch to computer and xbox. The computer is working fine but can't get the xbox to connect.
If anyone can help me out; I would appreciate it.

As far as my gamertag; my account expired last month and once I connect the xbox; I'll buy a new membership to xbox live.

Try BAD JUJU70

Thanks.

That will be tough to troubleshoot without being there.
What is the login page for? Is that for the internet connection account?
Not all routers/switch boxes are compatible with the Xbox. My Netgear router did not work but my Linksys hub does. That would be the first thing to check. Do a search for Xbox router compatibility.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.