Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Xbox Gamers? 914/6 Spec Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
mojorisen914
Not sure what happened to my connection last night towards the end. I got kicked out of the lobby and Xbox live completely.
I'm still trying figure out how I even got the 15000 credits from last night seeing how bad I did. But I'll take them...lol.
I'm hoping I'm able to build my steering wheel setup with a 914 seat this week.
Looking forward to the next race.
poorsche914
The credits were awarded for overall series points winners. You came in 3rd place in the novice lobby. Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 28 2011, 11:11 AM) *

The next series - Racing Across America - will begin April 3rd. All information can be found on the Teener Simracing League forum. There will be some changes so please check it out.

driving.gif

Just wanted to let you know that the link above ( http://914.volksbraggin.com ) is broke, but the link in your signature ( http://www.volksbraggin.com/914/ ) works.

Looking forward to the next series! I may try to build out my steering wheel/seat setup if I can find the time.

Richard

poorsche914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Mar 28 2011, 03:23 PM) *
Just wanted to let you know that the link above ( http://914.volksbraggin.com ) is broke, but the link in your signature ( http://www.volksbraggin.com/914/ ) works.

Thanks for the notice. The first link does work in some browsers but not others confused24.gif Works for me in Chrome but not Firefox.
Guess I just need to put the 2nd link out there and forget about the first.

I am looking forward to the upcoming series as well. Lots of track time smile.gif

driving.gif
Justinp71
Sorry guys I wasn't able to make the last race. When is the next one? I didn't see any dates on the spec racing forum.
poorsche914
Races are every Sunday at 9:00pm Eastern - rain or shine smile.gif

driving.gif
mojorisen914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 28 2011, 12:12 PM) *

The credits were awarded for overall series points winners. You came in 3rd place in the novice lobby. Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif

LMAO...Who'd athunk it!
poorsche914
Anyone playing tonight?
Logged in and waiting to race Road Atlanta in 914s and then American muscle.

driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 10 2011, 08:07 PM) *

Anyone playing tonight?
Logged in and waiting to race Road Atlanta in 914s and then American muscle.

driving.gif

I won't be playing to night. Got stuff the wife wants me to help her with around the house since I have been working on my 914 all day. dry.gif
poorsche914
Gearhead, MethodX and I raced a bit tonight in random cars and moving from D class up to A Class. Fun time racing but more fun with a lobby full of 914s piratenanner.gif

Series racing will take two weeks off since Palm Sunday and Easter are coming up.
We will return to the "Racing Across America" series on May 1st. Hope everyone can make it.

driving.gif
Brent
Was in San Francisco for the Giants game and presentation of the Rookie of the Year award. Will be back in May, if I can pay my bills.
jcambo7
Forza's web page is working now and I can get to my forza page now! piratenanner.gif
poorsche914
It's about time they got around to fixing that. Now we can post pics of our races.

Getting ready to fire up the Xbox now to continue the series after two weeks off due to holidays.
Running Atlanta tonight - first with 914s and then with muscle cars.

driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 1 2011, 07:57 PM) *

It's about time they got around to fixing that. Now we can post pics of our races.

Getting ready to fire up the Xbox now to continue the series after two weeks off due to holidays.
Running Atlanta tonight - first with 914s and then with muscle cars.

driving.gif

Dang...I missed it tonight. I have been in Seattle all day with the wife.
Richard Casto
We had a few people race Sunday. We did the NY street circuit and Road America with both D spec 914 and the Muscle Car. (Stemish, I will get the results to you).

I wish we had more regular participation. I think I have figured out that part of the problem is frustration from novices with respect to getting a good setup on their car. So in an effort to get people over that hump, I am going to publish the setup for my D spec 914. I will try to publish that within a next day or so.

I think we need to have some more "for fun, non-points" racing. For example I think some of the better drivers can follow some of the novice drivers and give them tips. Many people may not know this, but when you save a replay from a race, you can go back and both view from in-car any other driver as well as examine per car telemetry. The in-game telemetry tells you a lot, but in general, the racing line, throttle, brake and gear selection values will show you everything you need to know to see how someone else is turning faster laps than you. And as you start to get better you can stay close enough to follow a faster car and follow their line.

Also, judicial selection of driving aids can help. As I don't have the time to practice for races much anymore, you can use the braking aid to really help you get up to speed. I don't treat the braking and racing line guides to be gospel, but the get you close. I also go back and forth regarding the use of the ABS driver aid. It is a crutch, but as you don't get any feedback it's difficult to determine when your brakes are about to lock up. You can go faster with ABS turned off, but it's easier to get up to speed with it on. I leave traction control and stability control off.

Regarding the setup, I also think one thing people are miss is proper gearing. The D spec 914 uses the six speed transmission. So you can adjust the ratio for the final drive and all six forward gears. Based upon what people say it sounds like they only use five gears and I think that is causing them to miss out on some performance. It's not unusual for people to askme how I can pull away, or gain on them. It's a combination of ensuring high exit speed on a turn and good gearing (as we all are running the same spec engine). For most tracks, fast laps times in these cars is about maintaining momentum.

While you can tweak gearing for individual tracks, for simplicity purposes, I have settled on a specific set of ratios that I use on all tracks. My current set of ratios were determined by trail and error testing over a year or so ago. I plan to plot those out and look at them from a more scientific perspective, so they may get tweaked.

Recently I was curious to see what actual 901/914 transmission ratios these currently map to. They roughly are (values don't match exactly)... A, F, J, O, T, Y. This is not a set you would see in a real 914 as this is a set of six instead of five gears. But its not radically different than the frequently used A, F, M, S, X (J and O split M, T is slightly taller than S and Y is slightly taller than X). In short, the Y (six gear) was selected to give me absolute top speed (determined by testing) and the rest fell in between.

Anyhow, as I say I will publish all of the details soon. Also, I am using a regular controller, but other than some brake tweaks, I think my setup should work fine if you have a wheel.

Richard
poorsche914
Richard - good write up. As far as gears, I have been using the stock 914/6 ratios (not sure what the 6th gear ratio is). Works pretty good for most of the tracks. I got tired of trying to tune just right for each track.

Sorry I missed this past Sunday's races. In the process of moving and didn't have internet. Thanks for running things in my absence. BTW, my new street address number is "914" biggrin.gif

If people would rather just get together and race and not worry about points, that is fine by me. We could even throw in some Cat & Mouse games, Tag, etc Would another night work better for more people? Different time? Sunday thru Wednesday evenings work best for me.

driving.gif
Richard Casto
My Spec D Class 914 setup (see notes at bottom)...

Tires

F: 29.5
R: 29.5

Gearing

Final Drive: 4.43
1st: 2.91
2nd: 1.92
3rd: 1.51
4th: 1.22
5th: 1.00
6th: 0.83

Alignment

Camber
F: -0.9
R: -0.9

Toe
F: 0.2
R: -0.1

Caster: 4.7

Anti-roll Bar

Bar
F: 15.30
R: 22.70

Spring

Spring
F: 459.2
R: 466.9

Ride Height
F: 4.3
R: 4.4

Damping

Rebound
F: 7.8
R: 8.1

Bump
F: 5.7
R: 5.8

Aero

N/A (spec does not allow aero tweaks)

Braking

Balance: 49
Force: 90

Differential

Acceleration: 50
Deceleration: 40

Notes

* I think I may tweak my gearing a bit more. After looking at them I wonder if 2nd should be a tiny bit lower (such as 1.98 instead of 1.92), but this is what I have been using on every track for about a year or more.
* Set brake force to feel. I think it will be different for different controllers (such as wheel/pedal setup)
* Rear toe out is to help rotate. If you feel you have too much rotation, set that to zero.
* Ride height is very low. On bumpy tracks (Sebring) it can get a bit exciting.
* Tire pressure is set low to help them warm up faster. They settle in at around 30 psi when warm.
* These values work for me. If you want to tweak, that is OK. But this is a known good setup. If you do tweak, make small changes and test. Drastic (big) changes is where people go wrong.
* Lastly, remember that these are values for the Forza game engine. While real world setup concepts absolutely work in the game, expect some values to just not be the same as they would be with a real 914.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Smitty911
Richard,

Thanks for the posting your setup. I know when I first started racing last year with you all. My car was for the most part uncontrollable and I'd be the cause of alot of crashes, fall into last place and finish hours behind everyone else. Not fun by any measure.

After one set of racers, poorsche914 sent me his setup and thing got alot better instantly. It was alot more fun to drive and I was able to hold my line, instead of drifting into other peoples cars.

I knew I didn't have the time to figure it all out. So a HUGE thank you to Poorsche914 for that. You both still beat me, but it's my issue not the setup. I have to work on braking, and picking good lines.

I'm having alot of fun and less frustration now.

A couple weeks of FUN Racing/Tuning/Training and we can start racing for points again as everyone should be up to speed and have "good rust free cars" tp hurl around the track.

Now I have to tune my driving fingers. LOL

Smitty

Edited for some spelling not English.
Richard Casto
Results for 5/8 and 5/15. Sorry for not getting 5/8 results up earlier. These are shown in the same style that poorsche914 has been been using. All races have been three heat races. I didn't always keep track of the resulting position for each combined three heat series, but I think that can be calculated if needed. I also am not sure I am 100% accurate as to which race generated the fast lap for 5/8, but the fast lap values are correct.

Race #3

(1) NY Full with chicanes
(2) NY Full without chicanes (Muscle Car)
(3) Road America
(4) Road America (Muscle Car)

CODE
Method X       1,1,3*   1,1,1**  1,1,1*** 1,1,1****
JCambo7        2,3,1    4,2,3    3,3,DNF  DNS
NO FALSE G0DS  3,2,2    3,3,2    2,2,2    2,2,2
hydeandseek79  4,4,4    2,4,4    4,4,DNF  DNS

** 1:07.967
*** 2:35.321
**** 2:28.773

Note: JCambo7 and hydeandseek79 had to drop out at the end, so they have DNF and DNS values.

Race #4

(1) Maple Valley Short
(2) Maple Valuey Short Reverse
(3) Maple Valley Full
(4) Maple Valley Full Reverse

CODE
Method X       1,2,1*   1,1**,1  1,1***,1 1,1****,1
NO FALSE G0DS  2,1,2    3,3,3    2,2,3    2,2,2
Stemisch       3,3,DNF  2,2,1    3,3,2    3,3,3

*** 1:44.958
**** 1:45.922

Note: Stemish had to drop out of one race to fix his display. He also had the handicap of using a controller when he has been using a wheel/pedal setup. I am not sure if I remember if we finished the Maple Valley Full Reverse in the same order each race, but that is what I wrote down last night
Richard Casto
Ok, I think we have finished up our recently series. Participation has dropped off and I think we are open to opinions as to why and suggestions on how to get people back. It's much more fun when the lobby is full.

Richard
70_914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ May 16 2011, 07:59 AM) *

Ok, I think we have finished up our recently series. Participation has dropped off and I think we are open to opinions as to why and suggestions on how to get people back. It's much more fun when the lobby is full.

Richard

I missed a bunch in the very beginning, didn't want to jump in at the end. The couple times I did try to race I had issues getting into the lobby. Suggestions?? Maybe Microsoft could try to make a more stable gaming system... ar15.gif
poorsche914
Richard - thanks for the results postings for races 3&4. I will compile those with the first two races and then post the final results. Looks like MethodX continues as the Series Champion smilie_pokal.gif

For future races, here are some ideas:
1. race different cars besides 914s - no more spec cars; race whatever you want in a given class
2. race a variety of classes - I used to race with a group that would start at F class and run thru all the classes up to A and then back down. Made for some fun times.
3. play Tag, Cat & Mouse, and other "games"
4. races moved to different day and/or time - I find Sunday evening a good time to play. Other nights I could possibly run scheduled races are Monday thru Wednesday evenings.
5. no more points series - if you miss a race, no big deal. Join any time during the racing session. If you have to leave early, that's cool. Come race to have FUN!

Comments? Ideas? Let's fill the lobby.
driving.gif
Richard Casto
Random ideas...

* If we continue to have a points series, you can drop your worst week. So in effect, if we run four events, you can screw up, or even miss a week and it doesn't impact you.

* Reverse grid with start delays. So first car off, wait 5 seconds, second car off, wait 5 seconds, third car off, etc. So fastest driver in back gets a 5 second penalty for every driver in front of him. Slowest driver gets no penalty. Grid is based upon prior race results.

* Find a way to balance the field similar to what the SCCA does with the "World Challenge" series. They have what they call the "REWARDS" system in which winning cars get extra ballast to try to slow them down. Yes it does suck if you win, but hopefully it will keep the racing close. However, I have no idea how to implement this within Forza as I don't think there is an easy way to handicap a particular driver.

* As said above, race on a different night or time?

* As said above, more stuff like Tag, Cat & Mouse, etc.?

* Personally I still like racing the spec cars. If we expand into other cars, I would personally prefer they remain stock as I don't have the time to tweak a bunch of new cars. But I have also had fun racing other cars with the group.

Richard
Richard Casto
I believe this has died out for now. Maybe we need a summer break and get back at it in the fall? I have been looking forward to Forza 4 (due out in October) and then I heard a rumor today that really has me down. sad.gif

There is speculation that there will be no Porsche's in Forza 4. RUF has been signed as a manufacture for the game and that is a common sign of a driving game that has not reached a license agreement with Porsche. Apparently Electronics Arts signed an exclusive licensing agreement with Porsche awhile back. Microsoft on the other hand apparently has an exclusive licensing agreement with Ferrari. Apparently both MS and EA can sub-license, but the word is that they are not playing well with each other and are refusing to cross license Porsche and Ferrari.

I hope they have things ready to go (car models, etc.) and are just working out the details. I would hate for Forza to loose Porsche as they have been part of the series since the start. And as far as I know, is the only game series that includes the 914.

Richard
THE STIG
NFS SHIFT 2 Unleased added this in the Legends Pack, including several Vintage tracks, complete with period correct scenery. It is not as cool as FORZA in some ways (painting cars is there but it is terrible), but the inside view is great, complete with correct guages.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/04/25...gt-legends.aspx
poorsche914
agree.gif EDIT: looks like we responded at the same time

Yeah, been busy the past few months and haven't been on Xbox for quite a while. My son has been playing under my tag so it looks like I have been playing Call of Duty or something blink.gif

Got an email from a fellow teener showing me a screenshot of a 914/6 GT complete with flares in the game NFS Unleashed 2. The Porsche is part of a Legends download pack along with some "legendary" tracks. He said in expert mode it is like driving his real car. Maybe we should look into that game?

steve
driving.gif
THE STIG
I added a link for all to see...Capri was my first car....
poorsche914
Those graphics are quite impressive drooley.gif
THE STIG
Did you notice no update today on the Thursday Roundup at the FORZA 4 page? Maybe it'll be tomorrow. I have the Collectors Editon on Preorder, only because of the KINECT aspect (Head Tracking). I am starting to believe the NO PORSCHE rumors. There is a 70 page thread about it on the F4 forum page, and not a word from the Turn 10 folks...

They just put it up, still no PORSCHE cars...but they added the NISSAN Leaf! AWESOME!

•2008 Acura #15 Lowe’s Fernandez ARX-01b
•2008 Acura #26 Andretti-Green Racing ARX-01b
•2008 Acura #66 de Ferran Motorsports ARX-01b
•2011 Aston Martin #6 Muscle Milk Aston Martin Lola
•2001 BMW #6 Prototype Technology Group M3 GTR
•2009 BMW #92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3 GT2
•2009 Ford #40 Robertson Racing Ford GT Mk7
•1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409
•2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
•1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
•2011 Nissan Leaf
•1998 Nissan R390
•1970 Nissan Datsun 510
Richard Casto
Playing devils advocate...

Turn10 has been very quiet about this. Its not that they are saying "no Porsches", but rather they are not saying anything one way or another. The EA/MS licensing thing has been in place for a long time. Porsche was in FM3 because MS licensed it from EA. So its not like this situation is new. But some are saying that part of the previous (maybe current?) deal prevented any pre-release advertising or promotional material to mention the inclusion of Porsche. And that in fact this was in place for FM3 as well, but MS/Turn 10 slipped up a few times and EA wasn't happy. So the counter theory is that Porsche is in fact in FM4, but that MS/Turn 10 are keeping a really tight lip on it (unlike they did with FM3).

Regarding NFS Shift 2: Unleashed...

I had no idea as to the number of real world tracks it supports. With it having Spa-Francorchamps and the 914/6 GT it is an instant buy for me. I will probably try to pick up a copy of that this weekend. smile.gif

Richard
Richard Casto
Picked up Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed (could they have made the name any longer? I will just call is S2U for short) earlier today.

Still to early to pass judgement. It doesn't drive like Forza 3. So far I tend to think Forza 3 feels more like a real car. S2U has a bit of a "rubber band" feel when steering (using a controller), but I am getting used to it.

I tried Eau Rouge (Spa) flat in the 914/6 GT and didn't make it! Maybe until FM4 comes out we can play this? The topic probably deserves its own thread.

Richard
Haudiosolutions
I could possibly get it today but I do find it hard to justify. I'm sure there are other fun aspects to the game.

Richard Casto
It is official. No Porsche content in FM4. Per the rumors, EA would not sub license Porsche to MS for FM4. I think we didn't get any word from Turn 10 until just recently as I suspect they had the cars ready to go and tried until the last minute to get things to work out with EA. They submitted the game to MS for certification the same day they broke the news about Porsche/EA.

News is directly from Turn 10 (look at very bottom on article)...

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood1/

As much as I would like to say I will never buy another EA product again, that is not true. But I do think I will not buy anymore of the "Need for Speed" series and I can say without hesitation... "EA you suck!"

Sometime over the next 30 days or so, we need to get together and do some 914 racing one last time. I still am going to buy FM4 as there is a lot of new stuff that interests me in the new game. Maybe we can pick a new FM4 car for spec racing? Preferably, something light, mid-engine and without gobs of power stock. Maybe an Lotus Elise series?

Richard
poorsche914
I am truly bummed about the "no Porsches" in FM4 but will still buy the game (still undecided on if I should go for the collectors edition)

Lobbies of 16 cars and some of the other new features look pretty cool. Looking forward to driving the new Bernese track and Hockenheim.
I am sure we can find a suitable car to do some spec racing. Lotus is always good. driving.gif
Plus, we can always pop in the FM3 disk and race 914s aktion035.gif
Brent
Very cool FM4 / Top Gear. Tanner racing the real Infineon track, the others FM4. Sweet! Bet Tanner wins! The two other goof balls are even more useless than I am in Forza!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.