Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Matchbox lineup to include a 1971 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
carr914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 8 2010, 08:06 AM) *

I finally scored 3 light green ones...now I have to keep checking to find dark green and yellow....but the yellow ones seem to go faster. biggrin.gif

I hope some one has a Hot Wheels dragstrip track so we can finally get a scientific answer on which color 914 is faster! lol-2.gif

It's up in the attic, now you're going to make dig through stuff
Kansas 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 8 2010, 08:40 AM) *

It's up in the attic, now you're going to make dig through stuff

We need to settle this once and for all - and it needs to be videotaped and put up on YouTube for future reference! Sorry T. C. I don't know any other way... confused24.gif

Perhaps you could invite owners of "painted" versions to send you a sample of their cars just to validate the process and cover all bases. Of course you should be able to keep those models for your time and trouble!

Make sure you weigh them all - we don't want any lead sleds - whcih in a gravity race - heavy is better!! Not that anyone would do that of course!
carr914
I've got a bunch of painted ones, but I don't know if the bigger wheels have a higher drag coefficient

And will my cut-off roof Ginther style car do well?

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I've got a bunch of painted ones, but I don't know if the bigger wheels have a higher drag coefficient

And will my cut-off roof Ginther style car do well?

The way I see it - you have the most diverse collection - so you are perfect for this task!
AndyB
Ok how many colors are really out there? Not counting the ones that people painted to match their cars. I have only managed to find both light and dark green dry.gif My family thinks I am both crazy and an addict. Obviously they are mistaken. At least thats what the voices are telling me
Kansas 914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Ok how many colors are really out there? Not counting the ones that people painted to match their cars. I have only managed to find both light and dark green dry.gif My family thinks I am both crazy and an addict. Obviously they are mistaken. At least thats what the voices are telling me

Hi Andy,

That is a topic of debate.

I know of:
1. Light Green
2. Light Green - slightly darker (might really be the same released color just a different run)
3. Dark Green
4. Mustard Yellow

I think it is 3 colors with the light green having a different variation
jt914-6
I'm not convinced that the yellow one is real untill I buy one.... dry.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 8 2010, 10:48 AM) *

agree.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 8 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 8 2010, 10:48 AM) *

agree.gif

I will go on record that I think it is real. I mean - who would go to the trouble to re-paint one Mustard Yellow? What's next Poop Brown stromberg.gif ? Oh sorry - just saw your signature... av-943.gif
jt914-6
A yellow teener in a VW labeled container??? Both yellow ones posted were NOT in a packing labeled Porsche 914.... dry.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 8 2010, 11:46 AM) *

A yellow teener in a VW labeled container??? Both yellow ones posted were NOT in a packing labeled Porsche 914.... dry.gif

I think he said he switched the VW out and put it in the 5 pack and returned the 5 pack.

But we have had our leg pulled before!!
AndyB
We need some research done on this. I have to agree with seeing the yellow one in its package before beliving it. Kind of like the jackelope biggrin.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 8 2010, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 8 2010, 02:59 AM) *

Went 914 hunting tonight and found myself a yellow one biggrin.gif There was another one as well, but it also came in the $10 pack. So i bought another car to fit in the missing slot and returned the $10 pack. happy11.gif

dry.gif packaged as a VW Golf??? Something is up here...."won't get fooled again" mad.gif Me thinks the Golf went back in the ten pack and returned.....

That's what i did, i wasn't gonna pay $10 for just 1 car. Here's a picture of the 914 in the $10 pack:
AndyB
idea.gif hmmmmm there is a bit of proof. However noone else has produced one. I did my rounds today to the typical big name stores and only saw the dark green one so I am still on the fence about the yellow one.
carr914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 8 2010, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Hi Andy,

That is a topic of debate.

I know of:
1. Light Green
2. Light Green - slightly darker (might really be the same released color just a different run)
3. Dark Green
4. Mustard Yellow

I think it is 3 colors with the light green having a different variation

Don't forget the Dark Blue one that was at the Matchbox Convention

Kansas 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 8 2010, 06:58 PM) *

Don't forget the Dark Blue one that was at the Matchbox Convention

Good catch T.C. - I forgot about that one and it should be counted as a "factory" color. I have 3 of them...
AndyB
So in order to get the blue one you had to go to the convention???? hissyfit.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 08:09 PM) *

So in order to get the blue one you had to go to the convention???? hissyfit.gif

Or spend way more than they are worth on GreedBay/EvilBay (eBay) like I did.
AndyB
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 8 2010, 05:14 PM) *

then I will go to the evilbay must have.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 08:16 PM) *

Good Luck - they can still be found there.

Here is one with a Buy It Now: http://cgi.ebay.com/MCCH-Matchbox-2010-VW-...=item20b3aa02b2
AndyB
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 8 2010, 05:21 PM) *

Here is one with a Buy It Now: http://cgi.ebay.com/MCCH-Matchbox-2010-VW-...=item20b3aa02b2

idea.gif hmmmm she accepted me ordering the pedal board and euro tail lens. This might not be a wise move on my part. That price may be noticed for a toy car. Think evilbay can KMA.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 08:26 PM) *

idea.gif hmmmm she accepted me ordering the pedal board and euro tail lens. This might not be a wise move on my part. That price may be noticed for a toy car. Think evilbay can KMA.gif

Tell her it is an investment - like Gold in 10 years it will double....
AndyB
That line was already used on the 2 teeners on jackstands in my garage biggrin.gif
championgt1
Wife just brought me home a dark green version from the grocery store of all places!
carr914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:26 PM) *

I wanted a Blue one, but I have a serious problem paying $50+ for a $.99 Toy

Plus I think the side (chrome) trim and the tramp stamp on the rear decklid just look dumb
AndyB
Yep no blue one for this guy. 50 bones gets something for the real car beer.gif
Dr Evil
I got a blue one for $35. Had to have it. I hate the tramp stamp, but it is part of a collection.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 9 2010, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:26 PM) *

I wanted a Blue one, but I have a serious problem paying $50+ for a $.99 Toy

Plus I think the side (chrome) trim and the tramp stamp on the rear decklid just look dumb

Yes, your right, but serious collectors will pay this and even more and unfortunately people make a living off this stuff who buy all them up and sell them at huge profits.....too bad

I bid on one of the blue cars and gave up after 35 dollars...
nsr-jamie
So how about the mustard yellow cars....are these only available in the box sets? The guy on ebay is selling his as a LOOSE car so I am thinking he bought the box set and is selling the lonely 914 to make back his money.....so this would seem to be an authentic car from Matchbox, has anybody found or seen one in a single package like the green ones?
AndyB
dry.gif I still think the Mustard yellow is like the elusive Jackelope. I am waiting to see if its available in a package by itsself. I dont know if anyone has gotten one yet.Hopefully if they do they will post pictures.
dlo914
Found this interesting clip relating to these cars on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je836-hp3dM

But other than that here's a view of the bottom of the yellow "mustard" 914.
Nürburg Nomad
Hey fellow Teeners! I just spotted the new Mustard Yellow variant of the 914 as well... I bet all of you it's about one month before we see it on the pegs in the typical single pack.

Why do I say this... I've noticed all sorts of other Mattel cars; (i.e. Hotwheels) can show up 1-2 months before they're supposed to in the 10 pack and more often 2-pack assortments. Such as the 2011 Hot Wheels metallic green Tesla Roadster I picked up well before it came out on a single card... which is just now starting to trickle into stores.

I'm just excited the 914 is being produced in 4 full line colors versus the 2 they originally forecasted!

I'm on the same page as many of you with the blue convention exclusive 914; it's no doubt collectable but the big painted logo on the trunk isn't very factory 914... and if Matchbox keeps up at this rate we'll all have a full assortment of factory colored 914s within 3 years! biggrin.gif
Van914

Bought a green on last weekend for $1.29 at a grocery store on Tybee Island.
flipb
QUOTE(Van914 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:07 AM) *

Bought a green on last weekend for $1.29 at a grocery store on Tybee Island.

Wasn't T.S. Chu's, was it? biggrin.gif
poorsche914
I found 3 dark green 914s at Walmart yesterday. Had them in hand and then... put them back blink.gif
balljoint
I found 6 more at the local grocery store on an end cap. I had never noticed toys for sale at a grocery store before. On top of that some little jerk had put all six together so I didn't have to spend 7 minutes, as a 35 year-old, standing in front of kids toys and knocking down the cars in front to get to the 914s in the back. Oh and when you see one in the back that is the right colour and you push your hand to the back, knock 5 packages on the floor and it turns out to be a different car altogether...
type47
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 14 2010, 07:33 AM) *

I found 3 dark green 914s at Walmart yesterday. Had them in hand and then... put them back blink.gif

Yea, sometimes you've got to stop the madness biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 14 2010, 07:33 AM) *

Yea, sometimes you've got to stop the madness biggrin.gif

True.

And if you have a 3 yr old like I do, all of them will end up rusted out in the back yard with weeds growing up around them... like your personal AA lot. lol-2.gif (j/k)
Dr Evil
No way, I buy them all. Some day they will be worth something wink.gif I plan to customize some, give away others at events over the next few years when they are NLA, etc.
type47
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2010, 09:14 AM) *

... I buy them all. ...

Yea, I hesitated yesterday when I found 4 at WalMart and thought, I really don't need to buy these but said screw it and bought them then went to Toys R Us and bought 2 more. screwy.gif It's not like I already have 100 at home wacko.gif
tod914
A new TR6 just came out too. Also in yellow. So far 3 colors for them; green, red & the new yellow. Hotwheels though.. Grabbed a couple of metalic blue 308's and a varitey of early Mustangs. You guys have me hooked on this too! The series I think are really cool are the Hotwheel classics. $3.00 a pop, but neet neon colors and very cool cars. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the yellow 914. Still need one of those blue ones too. The P1800 volvo is out in red. Starting to see more and more of them.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Oct 12 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Hey fellow Teeners! I just spotted the new Mustard Yellow variant of the 914 as well... I bet all of you it's about one month before we see it on the pegs in the typical single pack.

Why do I say this... I've noticed all sorts of other Mattel cars; (i.e. Hotwheels) can show up 1-2 months before they're supposed to in the 10 pack and more often 2-pack assortments. Such as the 2011 Hot Wheels metallic green Tesla Roadster I picked up well before it came out on a single card... which is just now starting to trickle into stores.

I'm just excited the 914 is being produced in 4 full line colors versus the 2 they originally forecasted!

I'm on the same page as many of you with the blue convention exclusive 914; it's no doubt collectable but the big painted logo on the trunk isn't very factory 914... and if Matchbox keeps up at this rate we'll all have a full assortment of factory colored 914s within 3 years! biggrin.gif

smash.gif

Wow so I take back what I said about the 10-pack; it turns out THE MUSTARD YELLOW 914 IS EXCLUSIVE TO THE 10-PACK! I found two 10-packs with the yellow 914 yesterday and took one home. I figured two would be excessive; but... having not seen a full photo of the box before, I didn't realize until I got home that it says "EXCLUSIVE EDITIONS" in large lettering at the bottom of the box. So... now that I'm fully educated on the 914 status; I'll probably purchase 2-3 more 10 packs, rescue the 914, and sell the remainder of the exclusive paint job vehicles on eBay!

A photo of what I acquired will soon follow!
Kansas 914
They are even uglier in person.........

Click to view attachment

But then I own a Willow Green 914 and like it....
Mark Henry
Scored 2 dark green last night, so far I've only found 5.
Root_Werks
I've scored 3 of them, two dark green ones and one really wierd floresent green looking one.

One of the dark green ones I left in the package so I can trade for a white one maybe?

The other two I opened and play with often at work while sitting at my desk:

Vroom! Vroom! Screeeeeeeeeee, vrooom! driving.gif
Cupomeat
I just found my first one. After many trip to the NJ walmarts and K-Marts, I happen to be walking through Rite-Aid and I saw a bobcat (matchbox) and one other behind it (two in the store). Lo and BEHOLD, a dark green 914~!

YAHOOOO!

The funny part is that I had told my Kids that they were NOT getting any toys that trip and look what I go an do... (BAD PARENT AWARD GOES TO???)
first.gif
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 25 2010, 04:46 PM) *

They are even uglier in person.........

Click to view attachment

But then I own a Willow Green 914 and like it....

Nice! piratenanner.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 26 2010, 04:22 AM) *

Scored 2 dark green last night, so far I've only found 5.

Come to the Watertown Wally world they are in abundance smile.gif
tracks914
And now a white Racing version? Not original Matchbox but cool just the same.
White 914
poorsche914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Oct 26 2010, 10:27 PM) *

And now a white Racing version? Not original Matchbox but cool just the same.
White 914

One of those I saw went for something like $50 blink.gif
The box is a nice touch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.