Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
It's finally coming back together ................

Click to view attachment

It's been a long road ...............
But this puts a biggrin.gif on my place.

Door alignment is holding perfect.

cary
Finished welding in the left rocker.
Nice .....................

Then moved on to installing the right long inner box.
Pre-drilled the holes.
Sprayed with weld thru primer, again.

Click to view attachment

Stayed away from the long seam weld. Rosette welds only. No seam welds.
Finished the night with seam sealing over all the welds and the two edges laying on the bottom of the longs.

Today's lesson. Don't spray on TOO much weld thru primer.
Spitter, sputter .............

Today was the last shop day of vacation. Didn't meet my goal of getting the car off the lift. But I'm close.

saigon71
Looking good! beerchug.gif

I had to learn the same lesson on weld-thru primer during my restoration. Two light coats and go.

Which weld-thru primer are you using? I had problems with the Eastwood Copper, the can kept clogging.
cary
I had been using U-Pol. Which I liked. Their labeling on the spray cans isn't real user friendly. You need to know the product # to what know the product is.

Went to using a can of NAPA zinc enhanced that I'd bought. I'll need to rework my spraying technique. I put it on too thick. Lesson learned ....
cary
I'll add a couple notes :

The upper long did end up coming together fine. Had to do a little reshaping on the upper to get it to align with the lower.

Click to view attachment

Final result ...............

Click to view attachment

cary
Next lesson learned. Make sure you take more time to align the door hinges. Not only was I off 1mm in vertical. I was probably off 1mm in spacing. If I was too do this for a living I'd build a jig to hold the hinges in place while I welded.

Probably not 1 mm. Just Googled credit card thickness. They are .75mm. So probably more like .5 mm.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
NEVER, NEVER............NEVER
Take the car out of door alignment to tinker with a fit. headbang.gif headbang.gif

I'll let you in on my biggest mistake ...................

First, on both the inner fender corners we created, the bottom edge wasn't perfectly horizontal. This is where the Celette would be nice. Something to measure against.
I'll figure out something for next time........

Second, I was thinking because I didn't have the outer rocker attached I could tweek the long to tidy up the fit. NOT

Here's what I did ........................
Doesn't it look beautiful.

Click to view attachment

After I cut out the welds ........... That little bit kept me from aligning the doors.

Click to view attachment
cary
Time to prep the right long for closure ..................

Decided to use the Eastwood HD Anti Rust that I'd bought.
So we'll do the test in 40 more years.
Left side is done with Rustoluem.
Right side with Eastwood HD Anti-Rust.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Then I started installing the base of the left door hinge post.

Click to view attachment

Won't be long before I get this thing of the lift.
Then on to the new floor, tunnel repairs and the new pedal box.

saigon71
Great progress.

Keep smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif away!
cary
Coming together ..............

Wheelhouse trimmed. Took quite a bit fiddling to get the upper edge bent to match.
The next time I'll anchor it to the upper long and do a double cut like you'd cut wall paper.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ready to stitch weld on the next trip to the shop.

cary
New tool cart .................
Tired of chasing around looking for clamps and Vice-Grips.

Click to view attachment

Super - In - Law project ...................
Just need a divider on the second shelf to separate the small C-clamps and Vice-grips.
injunmort
I love this thread, great work. you make sorry I cut up a car that was about in the same shape. keep it coming
cary
I keep telling myself the next 4 will be easier. LOL.

Start another vacation on Thursday. Hopefully we'll get it back on the rotisserie by the following Thursday.
cary
Great Day ....................

Finished up welding in the wheelhouse. That's gives me a warm fuzzy.

Click to view attachment

Need to finish tidying up the engine bay side.

Here's where I ended the day ............. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Slid the inner rocker in to warm my heart. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

cary
Tinkered with the door gaps and body dimensions a bit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229264

With Rick's help I'm pretty close.
cary
Finally got the car off the lift .............

Click to view attachment

Bought some leveling jacks

Click to view attachment

Here's where we started .............

Click to view attachment

cary
Finally off the lift ........................ now I can get back to work.

Click to view attachment

Here's where we start tomorrow ............
Screwed in and ready to weld.

Click to view attachment

welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif

cary
Adding a new set of door braces.
Kind of a low budget set like Hontek built.

Click to view attachment

That way I can take the doors off after I weld in the right inner rocker and recheck the door fit.
boogie_man
Wow, that's some great work right there, keep it going, looking great !!!!
cary
While Super In Law is building our new door braces I decided to do some housekeeping. I needed to cut out a few parts from the sheet metal that will be scraped.

Click to view attachment

Here's the new door braces. I want to be able to flip it upside down and not have to worry about everything staying in place.

Click to view attachment

cary
Tried some thing a little different. I pulled the puddle up while I was stitch welding the rocker seam.

Click to view attachment
cary
Finally putting her back on the rotisserie.

cary
Heading home ....................

Click to view attachment

cary
Spent Wednesday finishing up welding in the inner rockers and grinding down the rosettes.

Click to view attachment

Then I went after the hinge post bases.
Finished up welding in the left side.

Click to view attachment

cary
Then I went after a bad spot on the bottom of the left wheelhouse that I didn't like.
It was just too thin.
So I welded in a patch.

Click to view attachment

Before grinder .............

Then I attacked cleaning up my crappy overhead welds from being on the 2 post lift. I haven't figured out overhead welding yet ........
Looks like my farmer welds back in Montana.

Click to view attachment

Tidied up ..........

Click to view attachment

cary
While I'm doing that. Super In Law is working on the right hinge post base.
Bought a new one from RD. Came off the stiffener.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded in. Before grinder

Click to view attachment

Finally we're working on two projects at the same time.

cary
I ended the day seam sealing the long to inner rocker flanges.

Click to view attachment

Plus Super in Law fabricated a new fender rocker end cap.

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
Who is your friend ??? I need everything behind this, I will send you the leftovers....
sawzall-smiley.gif
Kraftwerk
Congrats! you saved another one! Whew.. that was a lot of work, just to read the whole 17 pages wore the heck out of me...
Its intimidating and impressive how much work it takes to fix typical rust issues, & how complicated the uni-body design is, doesn't make it easy.
cary
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 3 2014, 08:35 PM) *

Who is your friend ??? I need everything behind this, I will send you the leftovers....
sawzall-smiley.gif

That would be great ...............
cary
Been a couple weeks.

Installed the motor mount that was given to me by worn.

Click to view attachment

Having the jig made installing it pretty simple.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tidied up the inside of the wheelhouse and installed the hinge pivot.

saigon71
"Then I attacked cleaning up my crappy overhead welds from being on the 2 post lift. I haven't figured out overhead welding yet ........
Looks like my farmer welds back in Montana."

Overhead welding sucks...you figured it out when you put the car on the rotisserie. biggrin.gif

Great work! beerchug.gif Keep the pics coming.
cary
Back to it ..............
Had to put brakes on the Fusion last week.

Finished up the welding on the right motor mount.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Then I finished welding the upper long to the suspension tower.

Click to view attachment

Finished welding .........................

Click to view attachment

Was a good boy and didn't over grind the welds and metal.

Click to view attachment

Seamed sealed ..............

cary
Then I get to removing whats left of the floor plan.
Finally I get the tunnel opened up .... piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Don't miss the two spot welds under the corner/foot brace.

Click to view attachment

cary
I finished up welding the long to the front wheel well.
This is some of my best welds. Practice, practice ..........practice.

Click to view attachment

Now we'll move onto the back of the floor pan. This is going to be tricky.
We really over welded when we built up the car 12 years ago.

Click to view attachment

cary
Time fly's. Its been 90 since I've touched the project. sad.gif sad.gif

Changed stores again, so I've been busy bringing it up to my liking.
And I dropped the engine in my 911 to put in aluminum clutch parts.
Used flywheel from Rothsport and a Kennedy pressure plate. smile.gif smile.gif

Hopefully today I'll get to weld up the clutch tube on my 73. Then I can restart the rustoration project.
cary
Hope to get back to it on Monday....................... Its been along time.
Been working on my other 914 and my 911. 911 is up and running. My white 914 is coming together. Rear brakes are at Eric's getting platted.
cary
I'm finally back. We started working on the clobbered up seam we created years ago on the floor pan to outside firewall. It's going to be a tedious process. I'm going to take it off about an inch at a time. A couple cross cuts got too deep. mad.gif Today I'll set up more light for the delicate surgery. Or maybe the Dremel if I can't get it right.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the yellow tint. That's what I get if I don't turn off the halogen lamps before I shoot the pictures.

worn
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 28 2014, 07:31 AM) *

I'm finally back. We started working on the clobbered up seam we created years ago on the floor pan to outside firewall. It's going to be a tedious process. I'm going to take it off about an inch at a time. A couple cross cuts got too deep. mad.gif Today I'll set up more light for the delicate surgery. Or maybe the Dremel if I can't get it right.

Sorry for the yellow tint. That's what I get if I don't turn off the halogen lamps before I shoot the pictures.

Cary,

It's great to see your photos again. This is magic! bye1.gif welder.gif
FourBlades

Nice work as always. piratenanner.gif

It can be hard to make the time to do these projects...

John
trojanhorsepower
Keep after it.
You guys are doing great!
cary
The day went well. Decided to cut out the previous hack job clutch tube repair access panel.

Click to view attachment

Super In Law making the pattern.

Click to view attachment

New panel welded in ...............

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next we'll attack the engine firewall. I'm going to cut out the bottom 1.5 inches that contain the fuel lines and clutch cable tube. We'll also need to fabricate a new flange for almost the entire panel.
cary
The dreaded WYIT (while your in there) bug has hit again. I think I'm going to change out the heater wire and accelerator tubes. The rust barnacles are so big I don't even what to touch them. I figure we're going to recreate the bottom inch and half of the engine firewall so we might as well change them out.
Plus it will give me a chance to use my new to my torch set up. (Craigslist)

Floor pan install looks to be pretty simple. Putting in the inside firewall looks like its going to be a bitch. I assume floor pan first, then firewall?

I'm going to try out my Preval sprayer to start laying down U-Pol primer. Hopefully it will begin show we're making some progress.
FourBlades

I have seen people do the pans first then the firewall and I have seen people do the firewall first, especially if they are using the replacement firewall panels.

I think doing the pans first is easier, I did both my cars that way.

John
cary
Super In Law went to reading the instruction book on the torch. He said it's been 40 years since he's used a torch. Then we had to run to AirGas to get the gas tanks filled.

Click to view attachment

So away we went. Out came the clutch tube. Ran it over the lie detector (Scotty B).
Looks to be still usable. Gave it an Ospho spray down. I'm thinking it will get Ford Blue Rustoleum. So 40 years from now someone will open it up again and go, What the Hell.

Click to view attachment

So here is the barnacles I was talking about.
So out came the accelerator and heater tubes.

Click to view attachment

Now we have an emptied out center console. Getting it ready for Rustoluem paint job.
Need to recreate the tube attachment bracket.

Click to view attachment

Ospohed .............

Click to view attachment

Firewall emptied out ...........
Trying to decide whether to recreate or buy the panel and cut out what I need.

Click to view attachment

Make sure you use protection for the wiring harness. The heat and brazing dripping could cause a serious issues.

Click to view attachment
cary
As Super In Law was reading I went to getting ready to install the right side suspension console. Super In Law had his measurements on the white car from when we changed it out 7 or 8 years ago. Got the triangle measurement from the World info. Found a piece of all thread and nuts needed to create the measurement.

Click to view attachment
cary
We decided that we'll make our own patch. We'll see how that goes. I have a lead on a new panel for $100.

Click to view attachment

Spent most of the day measuring over and over. Then tweaking the suspension console over and over. If I had to do it over again, I should have bought a new one. Too many Rosette holes in taking off the old one off. Need to find the MPS plate

I haven't been welding the old Rosettes closed before I put the old parts back on. I might start doing that too. Welds are too big. Don't look tidy enough. After seam sealer and paint they'll disappear, LOL,

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

When it is all said and done I'm dead on the 33 5/16 from the shifter hole to bolt and suspension console (Factory, 914 info). From the firewall to center of the hole I'm off just shy of an 1/8". I'm going to use Jeff Hail's numbers this am to double check again. Kind of late now, just being anal

Spent last night reading all 20 pages of a "suspension console" search to see what I could have done different to maybe not have the 1/8". Maybe I should have tacked the suspension console on the upper long when I installed it. It's the angle of the engine compartment long that caused the 1/8".

cary
I had to walk away from the console after measuring it again about 10 times.

Decided to cut and prep the pedal box that I bought from Bruce. Both the pedal box and the area around the fuel line rubber mount/holder are pretty tore up. The pedal box was rusted. The fuel line hole was just hacked up.

Had to remove the pedal support and decided to save the suspension mounting point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The cut portion is sitting overnight in the parts washer. Then I'll dip it in my bucket of muratic acid and water left over from the gas tank cleaning. Should come out gooder and new.

Then I'll brew a pot of coffee and start the suspension console surgery. hissyfit.gif
Maybe I'll sell the 2 frame stiffeners that I bought from RD and I'm not going to use to ease the pain.

Shot of the harness tab locations in the tunnel. They're coming out so I get all the POR15 off.

Click to view attachment

Last day of vacation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.