Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
On to installing the left side window frame patch. I started with giving the patch and frame a shot of weld thru primer. Then punched the rosette holes on the frame side.
Click to view attachment

Gave it one tack so I could start the final fittings.
Click to view attachment

After cutting the patch to cowl seam again with Dremel. I tacked it in another couple spots.
Click to view attachment

Here it is all welded in.
Click to view attachment

After grinding.
Click to view attachment

After a shot of self etching primer.
Click to view attachment

It's going to take a little All Metal filler in a couple low spots (arrows). I refrained from over grinding, over working the metal and using the MIG as a glue gun to fill in the low spots.
Click to view attachment
cary
Had the torch out so I needed to reinstall the guide tube for the front trunk cable.
The tube is steel, not brass or copper. So I had to stop at NAPA and pick up six inches of 5/16 brake line.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I'll add a shot of final brazing.

cary
We'll take a time out for a while to do some work on Mark Whitesell's (914Rubber) project car.
Click to view attachment
veekry9
Nice work,a common corrosion area,the why of pulling the glass.
76-914
I'm going to Hate it when you go back to work. hissyfit.gif You should "rent-out Super-in-law"! lol-2.gif
cary
The job posting that I've been waiting for was posted today .............
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 25 2016, 01:18 AM) *

The job posting that I've been waiting for was posted today .............

If they have any doubt about your ability to focus on a task, just show them this thread. beerchug.gif
cary
I found out yesterday that the position had to be approved by the CEO before it could be posted.

Got that covered. The gentlemen that I'll be working for has seen me in action many times. Now its just politics .............
cary
Paint for the frame bench was on sale at the horsey supply store.
Click to view attachment
$20 ............... cracks me up. I used many gallons in Montana restoring balers, bale wagons, hay rakes and my much missed/loved International tractors.

Bench will be Kubota Orange
Fixturing Ford Blue.

cary
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 25 2016, 06:59 AM) *

I found out yesterday that the position had to be approved by the CEO before it could be posted.

Got that covered. The gentlemen that I'll be working for has seen me in action many times. Now its just politics .............

Interview on Thursday AM.
Cairo94507
Best of luck. smilie_pokal.gif
cary
While I'm working on Mark's car Super In Law has been busy.
Starting the restoration of the pinch weld frame for the frame bench.
Click to view attachment

Today he built an extension for the welding cart that has the plasma cutter on it.
That way its tall enough to be used on the parts car that's on stilts.
Which gave us room to put the torch on the same cart.
Click to view attachment

cary
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 7 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Best of luck. smilie_pokal.gif

Interview went great. Only issue was, it was for the second job that I applied for. Applied on Saturday, called for interview on Monday, interviewed on Thursday. Whoa ...
Pretty certain I could have that job if I wanted. Didn't pay enough
The other jobs interview was brought up by them 3 times at the end of the interview.

Two positives that came out of it. 1. The person that will be my new boss walked by 3 times in the 12 minutes I was sitting in the lobby. I'm sure the place was a buss after I left. 2. Had a good hour interview that included the HR director. She now as a handle on who I am and what I'm all about.

I think I'm caught up in a due diligence exercise. For one, the Director that thru my hat in the ring is a long time friend. The person that will be new boss has become a friend. I'm also thinking the delay might be a budget balancing issue.
raynekat
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 10 2016, 12:36 PM) *

She now as a handle on who I am and what I'm all about.

Sorry it didn't work out for you man....
w00t.gif

5555555 (hahahahaha)
cary
While I'm working on Mark's car, Super In Law stripped the front and rear suspension off the parts car. Now we'll decide what we'll cut it and keep and what will get shredded and melted.
Click to view attachment
cary
Weather broke so we took a break from Mark's car and got after prepping and painting my frame bench.

Super In Law has been refurbishing the pinch weld frame and its now ready for some paint. We start with another once over with the wire cup brush.
Click to view attachment

Tape off all the decals ........
Click to view attachment

Finished product ...............
Click to view attachment

While I had the Ford blue in the gun I painted the templates that will be saved. I paint them to save myself from myself. I'd forget why I cut them out and they'd end up in the scrap barrel.
Click to view attachment
cary
Then on to the bench itself .......... We start with wire brushing the cross members.
Click to view attachment

Then I shoot some of the bright Kubota orange. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Then we convert the open trailer into a paint station. Super In Law got busy with the wire cup brush. Then I jumped in with the DA with 40 grit. The DA made short work of it.
Click to view attachment

Turned out great. Gave me some good painting practice. Distance from the surface and speed of my fan movement.
Click to view attachment
76-914
icon_bump.gif
cary
Took the day off, but we went and got a refill for our #2 Argon/Co tank. While at Newberg Steel Super In Law bought me an early and expensive birthday present.
Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment
This should make the precision cuts we'll need when we create the fixtures for the frame bench.

My 18" welding clamps that I bought for future trunk installs arrived from ZORO.
Click to view attachment

Then we rolled the frame bench off the trailer.
Click to view attachment
Tomorrow morning will start with some shop clean up and reorganization before I start on Mark's wheelhouse rust ..............
cary
Between the shop clean up and the landlords 4 wheeler coming to a dead stop I didn't get to get back to Mark's car.

Here's a few shots after I got everything tidied up. The rotisserie will slide 1/2 way over the frame bench when it's up against the wall when not in use.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We decided that we'd paint up three of the channel irons that came with the bench. We'll use two of them to hold up the pinch weld frame.
Click to view attachment
cary
For those that have been reading along it looks like the job that I'd thought I'd be taking has been cancelled. Best I can tell Albertsons buying Haggen was the final straw. Worst part is, two of the folks that work there are my friends. They're really embarrassed.

So time to move on. The plan was to restore 2-3 cars a year after I retire. Now maybe we'll reverse that. Find a job that will work around restoring cars.
cary
Next week will be spent building 3 or 4 fixture pieces for the frame bench.
I moved Mark's car to the frame bench this afternoon. My pinch weld fixture won't work for most of the work I'll be doing. i.e. Right long and hell hole.The fixture is in the way. So we'll be building the transmission mount and right suspension mount fixtures. Perhaps the pinch weld stands also.

On the employment front. Next week will be busy. Two automotive related interviews. Both of these deal with Porsche and restoration. The other is a job shadowing day. Then the company mentioned above will have another opening in the near future. One of the salesman died in motorcycle accident last weekend. Kind of sad. I've known him for 25 years.
Luke M
Hi,

Would you happen to have any info on your pinch fixture ( manufacture, model # )?
I need to purchase or make one for my car.

Thanks,
cary
Here you go ..............
Blackhawk Quadri-Clamp 97150
Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 9 2016, 04:01 PM) *

Here you go ..............
Blackhawk Quadri-Clamp 97150
Click to view attachment

Thank you sir.. beerchug.gif
cary
Here's the first fixture piece we're building. The long jack stands.
Click to view attachment

Our first version will be solid. We'll always set the car on the stands with the lift.
Version #2 will be more like the Celette. Tube in a tube.
I'm leaving them a bit tall so they can be cut down when the time comes to create the tube in tube.

Not really a pinch weld clamp. You pinch the entire car between 3/8" rails on top of the stands. We'll add gussets as we progress. Car is pretty light with no engine and transmission.
Click to view attachment

Today's design work .............
Click to view attachment

cary
My brain hurts. I haven't done that much measuring and geometry in a long time.
With the girders not being perfectly formed. It took a few hours to get things squared up. Now on to the suspension and tranny mount supports.

Click to view attachment
cary
Here's the design I came up with after I cut the tubes an inch too short. sad.gif
I couldn't get a 10mm bolt long enough to replicate the Celette. Going from the bottom thru the spacer and the two plates.

Click to view attachment

Here's the finished product all painted up.

Click to view attachment

Super In Law started the left side. We figured we might as well get it done while it was fresh in our mind. It will be created in the Version 2 style.
As soon as he gets finished I'll flip around the right side fixture and get back to work.
Like this picture of the Celette.

Click to view attachment

cary
Super In Law jumped on the left side.

Locating .............
Click to view attachment

He comes up with some of the damnedest contraptions.
Click to view attachment
So he could weld the pipes to the base plate.

Finished the paint job just as we were leaving ...........
Click to view attachment

raynekat
Definitely....a couple of mad scientists hard at work.
ps Back in PDX now.
cary
Here they are in the locked down position ..............

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now moved into the wheelhouse/long repair position ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Tool Whore Note:

I've used the same Norsemen 1/8" jobber length drill bit for a week.

Placed my first order with MSC for some Rotacut spot weld cutters. Got here in one day from their Nevada warehouse. I think this will be my go to supplier for consumables. Looks like they carry metric hardware. I'll have to compare pricing with McMasterCarr
mb911
Great work.. I enjoy the updates. I don't get near as much time in my shop but I am off for the next month so hopefully I can get some updates like you.. Great fixtures as well..
cary
Looks like the 8-5 job that I'd been waiting for has been postponed. If and when it does come up it will probably be located in Seattle. Wasn't meant to be ........ time to move on.

I guess I'll be playing with Porsche's. The preferred shop is about 2 miles from the house. 7 minutes by car, 10-12 by bike. We've already discussed three ten hour days at his shop and 2-3 days at my shop getting and putting 914's on the road. This a Porsche only operation.

The other shop has 2 early 911's and a 356 coming back from paint that need to be assembled.

I hope to put something together so I can start the Monday after WCR.

Short Tool Whore note :
Taking delivery of a Challenger Low Rise lift tonight. Cheap.
Needs a hose and a new oil tank. Kind of rolling the dice. But we've had pretty good luck fixing stuff.
cary
Low rise lift was delivered ............

Click to view attachment

Basically the same as putting the car up on jackstands. But a lot faster.

cary
Super In Law got the low rise lift up and running .............
$560 after parts and fluid.

Click to view attachment

JoeDees
Many pages/posts ago you mentioned using the undercoating gun with tube to spray the heavy duty anti rust paint stuff way up into the targa bar... if you don't mind me asking, how'd you access the area to get it waaaay up in there?
cary
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 28 2016, 06:57 AM) *

I guess I'll be playing with Porsche's. The preferred shop is about 2 miles from the house. 7 minutes by car, 10-12 by bike. We've already discussed three ten hour days at his shop and 2-3 days at my shop getting and putting 914's on the road. This a Porsche only operation.

Sabbatical will be over in two weeks.
I'll be going to work at the above described facility in two weeks. I'll give it a name after I actually start working.

Life is about to get real busy .............

I'll be picking up Doug's (raynekat) 914-6 conversion in two weeks. Time to put the pedal to the metal.

mbseto
I'm starting to suspect you only married your wife because of her dad.
cary
It would seem that way. But no. He was a Federal Highway project engineer and I really didn't get to know him the first 10 years we were married. He was always working out of town. But thru the years we've become best friends. I'm kind of dreading every year that passes by.
mbseto
It sounds like you guys are enjoying every year that passes by. Finding a good shop buddy is a rare thing, I'm a little jealous.

And by the way, I really appreciate the time you take to document your builds. I refer to your threads all the time.
altitude411
agree.gif Thanks for taking the time Cary. Making Montanan's proud smilie_pokal.gif
cary
Your both Welcome.

I've always believed a picture is worth a 1000 words.
As for my writing skills, my brain moves a little too fast for my poor typing skills.
Mentally I've finished a paragraph, but I've only typed half a sentence. sad.gif

Like I've said before. My primary goal is getting as many of our cars on the road as possible.
There just too much fun to drive ...............

Today will be some me time. 1. Walk thru my tool needs at my new job. Meeting at 10am. 2. Oil change on 914 DD. Finally installing tuna can. 3. Start designing computer monitor hanger for my new to me 55 inch computer monitor in the shop. Mom and step dad are getting a new one. Only expense will be building hanger and the HDMI cord. 4. Maybe a little grinder and cold galvanizing in my DD trunk.
cary
Operational Note :
The rotisserie slides easily over the low rise lift. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
DD onto the new to me low rise lift.
Click to view attachment

I was out running around working on my new job tool box. Super In Law dug the summer range forge out of the chicken house. He had it all refurbished by the time I made it to the shop.
This will be used to heat up the suspension tie together plates. Making then easier to form.
Click to view attachment

Comments from last year ..........
Click to view attachment
JoeDees
Damn. I've been sweating making those for a while...
cary
I'm starting the day with delivering my new tool box to my new place of employment.

My first big boy tool box.

Click to view attachment
cary
Picked up Doug's 914-6 project this am. We'll need to do some construction/redecorating. Super In Law is going to build a wooden super structure to store/house body parts as they come off cars.

Front Hood
Trunk
Engine Lid
Bumpers
Valances
Doors
Rocker panels
etc.

Click to view attachment

Here's Doug's car upon arrival today.

Click to view attachment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2356501
cary
Week #1 of the new job.

Day #1. Stripped a 80 SC Targa of all usable/sell-able parts.
Day #2. Begin conversion of a forward dated 69 911 caged race car that will become a 73 RS clone.
Day #3. Help with the preparation of 2 Cup cars that will be raced at Infineon this weekend. Then back to my conversion project.

Don't pinch me, I don't what to wake up from this dream.
cary
Today was basically a shop tidy up day .....................
Got my new shop PC set up and running.
Click to view attachment
Now I can order parts from the shop. Windows 7 on the old clunker wasn't getting it done.

Then went back to hole that needed to be patched in my DD rear trunk.
Click to view attachment

Time to try out my birthday present. Miller MIG welding goggles. I bought them primarily for wheelhouse and floor pan welding. But I thought I'd give them a try.
Click to view attachment
Very impressive .....................

While I was working on the car. Super In Law started measuring up the flat work we'd like to do in front of the shop door.
Click to view attachment

Self Etching Primer ............................
Click to view attachment

First layer of seam sealer ........................... Evercoat brushable
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.