Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
I thought I'd catch up on the stuff Super In Law has created in the last month.

1. Rack for bagged blasting media. Old compressor location.
Click to view attachment

2. Overhead shelf for all the specialty tools I (we) forget we have. Having them behind a cabinet door didn't help too much.
Click to view attachment

3. Wall unit behind the press to store all the pressing and pulling gadgets that I just bought. Won't be long and the 12 ton press will be replaced with a 20.
Click to view attachment

4. Then this week he built me some brakes for the rotisserie. After we changed to 360 steel wheels I can move it without much effort. Out of the scrap pile and simple. They work like a champ.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This week Porsche Parade and Emory Campout. piratenanner.gif

cary
Catch up things at MiddleMotors.

The parts washer is down again at MiddleMotors. Lost the main component. The combined motor/pump. First one they built and sent was the wrong one. $1000:( . I need to now have them build the right one. $1500. mad.gif Well, the thing will be almost new now.
raynekat
Better raise your rates Dude. tongue.gif. Not
warpig
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 9 2017, 07:21 AM) *

I thought I'd catch up on the stuff Super In Law has created in the last month.

1. Rack for bagged blasting media. Old compressor location.
Click to view attachment

2. Overhead shelf for all the specialty tools I (we) forget we have. Having them behind a cabinet door didn't help too much.
Click to view attachment

3. Wall unit behind the press to store all the pressing and pulling gadgets that I just bought. Won't be long and the 12 ton press will be replaced with a 20.
Click to view attachment

4. Then this week he built me some brakes for the rotisserie. After we changed to 360 steel wheels I can move it without much effort. Out of the scrap pile and simple. They work like a champ.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This week Porsche Parade and Emory Campout. piratenanner.gif

That is one handy Super-In-Law!!!! cheer.gif
cary
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 23 2017, 04:40 PM) *

Better raise your rates Dude. tongue.gif. Not

I'll stay where I'm at for a while. But everyone is telling me to raise my rate.
With the 1/2 time gig with Rothsport I'm definitely not getting rich, but life is good.
I'm kind of in a weird spot. Not really a body shop. I don't plan on spreading mud on any clients cars, just mine. I'm more of a welder and mechanical chassis guy. Body shops charge about H, welders charge about N, mechanics charge about T and blasters charge about X.

I'll figure it out. I know about where I need to be. Plus I feel I should pass my low rent on to the clients ...............

Heading off to San Francisco for another vacation ..................
Julie and I have been married 35 years today ...............

No plan, staying at sister in law house in South SF.
mbseto
Happy anniversary, and congratulations.
cary
Couldn't help myself. I was making good time in the Jetta so we stopped to see Freddie at Vintage Sportscar Restorations.
https://www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations/
https://www.vsrestorations.com/

Click to view attachment
74 IROC backdate getting a Rothsport 3.8. The paint is stunning ..............
Rektor project on the second lift.

Click to view attachment
While I was picking Freddie's brain on the less than finer points on the fender cowl area on the 914. Julie had a good conversation with Jeremy.
All she could talk about the next 1/2 hour was how nice and family oriented they were.

Click to view attachment
Under the cover white 67s.
Topless in the right corner, Freddie's own 59/60 cab project.
Upfront 356. Ricardo was long boarding the nose when we drove up.

cary
I have a sickness.....
Going High Performance House and a look at Rich's 914 sheet metal inventory. Maybe I'll find a beautiful cowl for Doug's car.
The girls will be going to one of the sister in laws volunteer deals functions.

Looks like I'll sneak a trip the Chris's (tygaboy) on Thursday or Friday.
cary
Trip to High Performance House was an eye opening experience. I had no idea that anyone had amassed that much 914 inventory. The yard out front is full of covered cars and inventory. The building has 3 layers and every layer is full and organized.

Rich started the tour with a walk thru the 914 racing trophy cases. biggrin.gif
Then it was aisle by aisle. Frank and Mike from American Pickers would call this a honey hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rich has a presence on eBay for a lot of his sales, but not on 914 World.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/hphporschesales/m....=p2047675.l2562

I think an email containing a photo and a Porsche part number would get you just about anything you need. Maybe NOS, maybe used.

Click to view attachment

FIY. He has a rebuilder for both the 3 port fuel pump and the AAR. biggrin.gif
I saw NOS front turn signal buckets too. The list goes on and on.
76-914
Like a kid in the Candy Shop, huh?
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 2 2017, 11:23 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2502260

Side note : The 2 new cans of U-Pol weld thru primer are the copper based instead of zinc. Error : Either them or me ? Man it's a alot nicer to weld onto. I just laid that washer on the primer and blipped away. No spitter spatter like the zinc.

That's the only stuff our metal guy will use if he uses weld through.
cary
Last day of vacation before driving home. Julie and I drove up to Petaluma to see tygaboy and his project/shop. My wife Julie and his wife Lori (sp ?) hit it off and disappeared into the house.
I'm not an LS guy, but the conversion is stunning. Workman/craftsmanship is at the next level. If you've followed his thread, it's a creative work in progress. Heavy on the creative .............
Was only going to stop for a few minutes, ended up being around 3 hours. smile.gif
From the Tool Whore himself, does he have some tools ............ Lots of them on my wish list. But too many cars in the shop to actually set them up and use.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mb911
Chris is a really good guy.. I would love to visit him some day.
cary
Doing a little work on Matt's melted harness. I harvested the wires out of my spare harness bits. Extracted some complete units, column switches, ignition, etc.
We'll have them extracted color by color for future repairs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Like Matt's harness, the solid gray wire had a melt down. Best I can tell it's the luggage lamp feed that ties to the license plate bulbs. It's fused to #7. Hmm.

cary
Stopped at the plumbing supply store and picked up the hole cutting saw for the floor plugs.

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 26 2017, 07:12 AM) *

I just noticed the cardboard box - for a case of 12 Dungeness Crabs. Oh, for a fresh northwest crab! Here we get "snow crab". Frozen and stringy. Years ago we returned to the PNW, chartered a sailboat and caught all of the crab we could eat. Lucky devils!
cary
With the population increase from when I was a kid. Its get pretty tough getting too and from the coast on the weekend.
cary
Another episode of Tool Whore. Added a HF headlamp to my face shield. Works pretty good.
Click to view attachment

Saturday at MiddleMotors.
BIG DAY ON TAYLOR'S PROJECT
He finished the harvesting of the front fire wall. With the amount of welding that will need to be done I'll probably refurbish quite a bit of the flange. That will keep the edge from blowing out.
Click to view attachment

Taylor and his trophy.

Matt continues with his harness rebuilding/repairing.
Click to view attachment

cary
Tuesday 8/8/17.
Spent half the day welding on Doug's car. Then started to assemble (dis-assemble) the suspension and brakes on Matt's car.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
New 914 Rubber sway bar bushings

Click to view attachment
Dis-assemble : we removed the URO front control arm bushing from the refurbished control arms. No torch. smile.gif Shop press and bearing separators. And some McGyvering on/in the press to make space for parts travel. Press will need to be upgraded to a 20 ton to make the project faster.
Trailing arms will get the new 914 Rubber control arm bushings.

Since harvesting Chris's firewall patch Super In Law has continued to saw up the yellow parts car. Because it was a V8 attempt car not a lot of parts. saving odd things.

center section of rear taillight panel
remainder of firewall for 6 cylinder cover
front portion of engine tray
cable/tube section of rear lower firewall
entire right long, stem to stern
mount section of upper right long
late engine fan mount
both hinge posts, including long portion

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Patrick Motorsports, Flatbrick Bloatershorts!

Super In-Law helped with my build! aktion035.gif

(and I still say we need t-shirts with his pic on them...)
Matty900
Super-in-law has been busy.
cary
Did another visual on Taylor's project before heading to the Eagle Cap Wilderness for a 6 day backpacking trip.

Matt and I discovered that Taylor's clutch tube is totally disconnected in all three locations. That's first. Nice that's it's on a rotisserie for the floor pan entry.

Plus one of the right seat hinges needs to be relocated. Seat frame wouldn't go into place. If would waller out the holes it would be crooked.
worn
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 9 2017, 06:11 AM) *

Super In-Law helped with my build! aktion035.gif

(and I still say we need t-shirts with his pic on them...)

agree.gif

If we have to pre-order I am signing up now. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

You lucky devil. I also have a super-in-law, my mother in law. They oughta meet cause she pulled 2x10 stock out from the planer for Weyerhaeuser until the mill closed when she was 65.
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 11 2017, 08:32 AM) *

Did another visual on Taylor's project before heading to the Eagle Cap Wilderness for a 6 day backpacking trip.

You shame me! My car has kept me from sleeping in a tent since April, and I haven't gotten my canoe wet once this summer. May have to take some time off from the car before the summer is gone.
cary
I'm back ................
Man I forget how much I love being above the timberline. First day was pretty tough. 3500 ft of vertical in 4 miles at 61 years old.

My RV. Gregory Palisades.
Click to view attachment
Above the timberline I carry 2 sleeping pads. Egg crate and foam.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Today is shop clean up day. The 2 parts cars going to the squisher. Used oil being given to independent shop that has an oil burning shop heater.

cary
With coming back a day early I spent yesterday taking the remains of two of the parts cars to their final resting place. Far West Metal Recycling.
I was surprised that I was paid $95 per ton. I thought it was down to $30 per ton.
cary
After harvesting all the hardware off the parts cars I figured it was time for a plating run.
Working with Matt and Doug has spoiled me.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Super In Law is wearing out the nozzles on the bead blaster. LOL.
We'll remove all the spring we can get at off the latches.
Next issue is where will I put all the shiny stuff when it gets back. dry.gif

cary
While I'm welding on Doug's car Super In Law is also breaking all the harvested parts and getting them ready to be put up into storage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Kind of odd. Most of these parts cars have new disks on them. So they get put into storage to be blasted and turned down in the future.

Click to view attachment

As we were leaving last night I found 4 more totes of parts off the POS parts car that will need to sorted and prepared for storage, or tossed out. He'll be busy today. LOL.
Plus we'll be cutting down some pallets to 3 ft deep to put the totes on. Too big of a PIA up on the rolling stairs.
cary
Randy Wells video from last years Mexican 1000.

https://www.pca.org/news/mexican-1000
cary
In Super In Laws full time work at the shop while Matt assembles his car he totally cut up my 3 donor cars. Pallettized all the spare parts totes so they can now be downloaded with Big Joe. Oh yeah, he jacked up Big Joe and rebuilt the casters. Welded up a new caddy for the scrap steel stuff for building jigs. Welded up the 914 Rubber jig for testing brake master cylinders.

Upgrading my 12 ton HF press to a 20 ton unit. Got my 25% off coupon in an email yesterday. The 12 ton unit has served us well. It will be coming home to be installed in the carport after we enclose it and add on a 4th bay home work shop.

Here's his scrap caddy .................
Click to view attachment

Yesterday is the first time I've sent him home. We were at Subway for lunch and the gal asked him how he was doing. Answer : a little tired. RED FLAG ............
The girls were out and about so I had them head out to Forest Grove to pick him up. But he couldn't leave till we/he extracted Matt's long block from the back of the truck. sad.gif
trojanhorsepower
Wasn't this thread about your car? poke.gif
cary
Hopefully we'll back to it this winter ..............
The plan is to get back to frame bench fixtures after Doug and Taylor's cars are on the way home.
cary
New Episode of Tool Whore.

Upgraded my shop press to a 20 ton unit. Added a bench mounted arbor press for the smaller stuff.
The 12 ton unit served us well. We really stressed it a couple times in Montana working on the farm equipment. Cross bar had a little bow in it.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Super In Law and Jordan laying in the winter wood supply. While I'm welding rosettes on Doug's car. Matt showed up around 7:30 to tinker for a couple hours.
Click to view attachment

Correct new motor/pump combo arrived for jet washer. Big $$$.
Click to view attachment
It will get installed on Thursday. piratenanner.gif
cary
Starting rally car number 3 at Rothsport.
93 964 Carrera 2. BAT that Jeff bought last winter.
Click to view attachment

Job #1, removing all the messy liquids. fuel, oil and the worst, power steering fluids. This time I'm cleaning all the parts as I go.

Still pinching myself. Life is good ..................
Matty900
The boys got the sign hung today. Pretty cool!! piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif
tygaboy
Great to see the sign in action! smile.gif
jmitro
looks like another reality show for velocity biggrin.gif
raynekat
The dynamic duo if there ever was one....
cary
Got my first run of hardware back from the plater. I'm rich ..........
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Taking the time the clean really paid dividends. Won't be too many rejects.
It's a little too much for the CW crowd. But I'm all about protecting the metal and the what will the car be like in 40 years when they're freshened up again. How did my work hold up?

raynekat
Nice....I recognize a lot of those parts. wink.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice. That is definitely the way to do that. I like all nice clean, plated parts where they belong.
Matty900
w00t.gif
Matty900
w00t.gif
cary
Next project will be the design of my Durham cabinets and shelving to store all my excess parts. Having all the inventory is of no value if you can't put your hands on it.

This is a shot of our hardware supplies in the chassis room at Rothsport.
Click to view attachment
Zoro price about $170 per box with 4 removal drawers. I imagine I'll have 12-16 boxes when I'm finished. $$$

The bottom rows will be some of these guys for larger parts and supplies.
Click to view attachment

76-914
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 7 2017, 07:50 AM) *

. Having all the inventory is of no value if you can't put your hands on it.

How true. Check the "tools for Sale" in Craigslist close you every week or so. Quite ofter I see machinist's that list some really nice "old school" cabinets when they retire.
cary
Short Episode of Tool Whore :

Finally found a Snap On PTS500 on Ebay ............ biggrin.gif
A little shorter than my PTS1000 Dual Chuck.
Click to view attachment

Then I added wheel hanging pins to my tool box. This allows you to hang the wheel on our studless 914's.
Click to view attachment

I'd never seen one of these before. At the last autocross I helped a guy with a 996. It's in their tool kit.

cary
Another Super In Law project I thought I'd share.

I was doing some housecleaning yesterday and pulled the old POS pallet jack out to add to the next scrap run. Jack decides we'll cut off the forks to build an extension for the Big Joe pallet stacker. When Mike's parts car arrives I'm going to hang it on the wall, rather than cut it up. 88 years old and his back been bugging him for a while.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm going to have to start paying more attention. And start saying no.
cary
Saturday 10/14/17

Super In Law finished up his re-purposing of the POS pallet jack.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Why are doing this ? Plan is to build a platfrom type hanger to store the incoming parts car from Mike Godly (Warpig) on the wall. Only after it's totally stripped down to a tub.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.