Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
Second coat of seam sealer.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Covered up the primer on the tail panel with Glacier White. sad.gif . I'll get a couple spray cans loaded when I re paint my car.
Click to view attachment

Weekend starts with a session a Dad's Garage.
1. Diagnosis failed MASS airflow sensor on the A6. Changed out 4 year old fuel filter.
2. Cut in new terminal for left headlight.
3. But on the drive home I find that both electric fans aren't working. barf.gif I wouldn't have caught it except for we got stopped for 20 minutes for paving work.
4. Today will be spent pulling and testing parts .............
Click to view attachment
cary
Parts testing :
Both fans run fine when tested with 12 volts. Both Maxi fuses are good so we ordered a Fan Control Module. Super In Law is going to dig into the A/C fan and give the motor a couple drops of 3n1 oil. Rock Auto'd everything but the hardware. Ordered them from ECS.

Feels kind of weird not posting the days work every night. Should be back on Mark's car on Thursday.
cary
After 3 weeks I feel comfortable enough to post where new new place of employment is.

Click to view attachment

Being the new guy I get all the dirty work. I'm tearing down an 89 C4 that will become a Bastos SCRS rally car replica.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dropping the 964 C4 drive train is just a bit more complicated than a 914. LOL.
914, 40 t0 50 minutes depending on the CV bolts. I've probably done it 30 times.

964 C4, about 6 1/2 hours the first time. I have another to do after I finish this one. We'll see how long the second one takes.

The team was laughing at my expense at lunch. Let's let Cary do the 993 Twin Turbo engine drop when it comes in. biggrin.gif

If you thought I was tool poor before. Holy crap you haven't seen anything .............
mepstein
Cary - Cool job Congrats! You'll get the 911's down quickly. They are a little different from 914's but pretty similar to each other. At least up to the 3.6's.

Tool poor - well, that's why snap on takes payments. biggrin.gif
cary
All my work on 911's has all been on G bodies. Did a couple small projects on a couple F bodies. The 964 is all new to me. Pretty much the same. Just a lot more stuff.
Nice thing about this car is that its a complete strip. Including wiring harness. So I get to touch just about every thing. Some of the crap in the front trunk I don't even know what it is. LOL.

Biggest issue is we sell all the take off stuff on Ebay. So I have to bag it and label it.
And not break any connectors. biggrin.gif This car is only 25 years old and the connectors are starting to harden.

But it's all fun. So much different than 30 years of managing people.
Start at 8. Take a complete hour lunch. Then all of us in the chassis shop are usually out of there by 10 after 5. Weird .............
Oh yeah, home in 8-10 minutes. Life is Good ................
saigon71
Congrats on the career change Cary. I'm happy things are going well for you. beerchug.gif

cary
Short Episode of Tool Whore .....................

If your in the market for a magnetic work light this is the one you want.
Snap On. $79 and its rechargeable. No batteries. 3 times the light of anything I've had in the past.
Bought two for working at Rothsport. I'll buy a couple more for my shop.

Click to view attachment

cary
Super In Law project. We're heading to Home Depot for lumber.
He unloaded two bays so we can build dividers and shelves. This will allow us to dismantle 3 cars and have the major body parts stored without stacking them on each other. Then 3 sets of shelves for the trim pieces. Should be kind of cool.

Matt (Mark's bother) wants me to do a dismantle. Then send out for paint. Then reassemble after paint.
cary
Start the day at Home Depot. $100 worth of material.

Click to view attachment

All cleaned out and ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Making progress. I'm thinking each car will need 3 totes too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The upper shelf will have a 3 shelf section for trim pieces. Here's my extra pile.

Click to view attachment

Mark's pile won't quite fit ................... lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

Needless to say I started the day labeling parts ...................
cary
Body panel jail is just about finished.

Click to view attachment

I picked up the freshly painted bumpers for my 911.

Click to view attachment

cary
Short episode of Tool Whore

Picked up couple more tool boxes at a pawn shop this am.

Right one will become the primary shop tool box. Totally organized like my box at Rothsport.

Left one is an old Matco that will become a small parts storage box. Engine parts: seals, gaskets, etc. Tubes of adhesives, etc. $200 for both.

Click to view attachment

Super In Law is building a new wooden body dolly like Doug built for his car. Starting with re-purposing the inflatable rubber tires that we bought for the rotisserie that didn't work. Bought 4 new solid rubber tires and he is switching them out. Swivels on all 4 corners for ease of movement around the shop.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Super In Law finished the redesigned car dolly. I reshaped it into a trapezoid for ease of loading and unloading off the 2 post lift.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
We did add a 2*4 to the top so we would have more clearance for the 2 post lift arms.

Click to view attachment

On a side note. The 10" wheel frames from HF, suck. To much lateral give in the frames themselves. The 8" ones on Doug's dolly are much easier to drive.

raynekat
Mine were from HF too.....just a lucky pick I guess.
cary
Minor setback today.
Motor on the compressor stopped working. Not good. I'm almost dead in the water. I was about 1/2 way thru the stripping of paint off the engine tins on Mark's engine swap project when it gave up.

I'll do a quick test on the start and run capacitors in the am. Then run it to the irrigation pump repair shop. Wish me luck .............. A new 24-25cfm compressor is my next major purchase. But I need to make sure my youngest son gets his apartment in NYC set up first.
cary
Must have been a heat related issue. Fired right up this afternoon. Blasted parts for 4 hours.
raynekat
Time to work on your car....
raynekat
And then time to work on mine....
cary
Here's a show and tell from my lift at Rothsport. I'm turning a 1989 C4 into a C2 that will get some back dated bodywork to create an SCRS.
Dropped the entire front drive unit onto jack stands to remove all the 4WD parts.

Click to view attachment

Here's an action shot of the SCRS on tarmac.

Click to view attachment

Off to work ................ piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

cary
Dang cars you have to move out of the way to get your work done ...............

Click to view attachment

cary
Super In Law is heading north to pick up another parts car today.
Hopefully I'll get enough out of it pay for the tank of fuel.
76-914
No more Daily updates since you began you new career. sad.gif
marksGTV
I tip my cap to your skill and perseverance. Great work.
cary
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 22 2016, 07:46 AM) *

No more Daily updates since you began you new career. sad.gif

Seems like the 2 -3 days that we are working out at the shop the time has been spent getting reorganized so we can be working on 2-3 cars at one time.

Super In Law is heading north this AM to pick up another parts car. He's picking up one of his Federal Highway retirement buddies in Vancouver for company. I got a feeling it will be a Bondomoblie. But all I'm hoping for is door posts, center tunnel and pedal box. That will pay for the fuel.

Sitting here this am, its 56 degrees. I may have to come back to my car and get the epoxy sprayed. Hmmm. The SPI need 65 degrees for 24 hours.

But when I'm not on this thread I'm on one of these two threads. Plan now is to get Mark's For Sale car done, then go back to Doug's car for a month.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7160&st=320

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...49327&st=80

On a side note. I'll will shoot a couple shots of one of our members getting a new FAT motor installed in his 914 race car here at Rothsport. The engine is a piece of artwork. It's a 22xx. Big 911 fan. Dry sump. It's Bitchn. Then it gets all the Gamroth little tweaks.
Pictures added 8/24/16

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Oh yeah, the 2056 D-Jet that came out might be for sale. I'll keep you posted.
cary
We had kind of a scare with Super In Law yesterday in Tumwater picking up the POS parts car. He got dizzy (again) when they were finishing up the loading of the car. This is the second incident in the last week. Luckily he had his buddy George to drive home. I left early and drove to Vancouver to pick him up. This is an 86 year that has only spent one day in the hospital his entire life. I think it scared him enough to let us take him to the hospital. They found a couple things they want to watch so he spent the night for a heart monitor recording.
I'll keep you posted. But this POS car just might have saved his life, or at least quality of life. We had a little chat about having a stroke and how that would change the quality of the rest of his life. That ended his push pack on staying for observation.
jd74914
Wow, that sucks Best of luck Cary; hopefully they can find and fix whatever is wrong. smile.gif
cary
Now for the POS 72.

I should have been paid to take it away. Or at least got a couple packages of Sawsall blades.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I guess this was a flood damaged car from Centralia, Wa.

Here's what I see at first glance.

Both bottom rears of the front fenders.
Maybe a steel left rocker panel.
The center section of the front trunk panel. I'll cut it out whole.
Maybe the center tunnel and pedal cluster mount.
Drivers long will come out whole. From rear trunk to the door post.
Right door post.
Then the little bits and chrome will be inspected for value.

I think I can get my tank of fuel back. LOL
76-914
I wish Super in Law a speedy recovery. The monitors are small nowadays so he shouldn't be put off by it. At this stage in life he will probably be looking at a pace maker. sad.gif I hope I'm still producing in 21 years. If he's anything like me, your going to have to put a lock on the garage. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(cary @ May 26 2016, 06:27 AM) *

But thru the years we've become best friends. I'm kind of dreading every year that passes by.

Hi Cary, I've always admired your posts and your work. But the best part has been the running story about Superinlaw. Reminds me of my Dad who passed away at 91, living in the home he built to the end. Living far from home I dreaded the days passing without my being there. Take care of yourselves and damn if you aren't living the good life! On a sadder note, groceries will never be the same without you. I used to love shopping Albertsons. Maybe not anymore. My nephew just left QFC after 15 years to get a PhD in history.
cary
He's been released from prison and will be home in a bit.
Going in tomorrow to get a 48 hour recorder put on.
The wife and I's doctor will take him as a new patient(closed practice), and he has an appointment for Tuesday.

I'm thinking at 86, the heart is getting worn out. Congestive heart failure.
But there not going there yet. Unchecked high blood pressure, 180/20, dehydration and the heat.

Don't need any prayers tonight. At one time there were 3 pastors in his room today. LOL. He's got connections.
raynekat
Cary, sorry to hear about the "pops" in law's health scare.
Hope it all turns out for the better.
Maybe some high blood pressure meds, etc.
Need to keep that good team of you and him together for many more years.
Thoughts to all....
worn
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 24 2016, 05:58 PM) *

I'm thinking at 86, the heart is getting worn out. Congestive heart failure.
But there not going there yet.

Yeah, they often avoid that term these days, even though it can be exactly the problem. But if he is having arrhythmia spells, an indwelling pacemaker might buy some quality years. Glad to hear he is well connected with the vicars. So he has that going for him, which is good.
914werke
Ha, I saw that ad when it 1st popped up, but it looked too rough to bother even in the couple of pics posted. LMK if the front panel is salvageable id be interested.
If you were hoping to score a tunnel and cant harvest one, I have one.
Good luck with Pops health Im sure you know it gets rocky from here out.
mbseto
Best wishes for the Super in Law.
cary
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 25 2016, 09:43 AM) *

LMK if the front panel is salvageable id be interested.
Good luck with Pops health Im sure you know it gets rocky from here out.

The right front corner has an owe .................

Click to view attachment

cary
Click to view attachment
cary
He seems to be doing fine.
Hopefully I can talk him into getting new hearing aids in his time of weakness.
100% paid for by the government. Anti aircraft in Korea and dynamite blasting with the Federal Highway. But he doesn't like the hassle. Lots of red tape.

Thanks for all the well wishes ....................

He's on another 48 hour recording. But I'm not going to take him to the shop tomorrow.
Forecast 96 degrees. I'll work at Rothsport instead. I just pulled the Dynamat out of rally car #3, what a frikking messy job. Mat is out. Now I'm trying to figure what will remove the left over tar the fastest. Paint thinner is working, kinda. Acetone drys too quick.
Might look at an asphalt/tar remover at the masonry supply store. Or aircraft paint stripper.
Cairo94507
Best wises to superinlaw - a truly talented man.
altitude411
agree.gif I'm glad he is on the mend... seems like a great person to be around. he reminds me of Wayne Carrini mechanic, Rodger. biggrin.gif Thanks for the thread! beerchug.gif
cary
Let's say a blending of Rodger and MacGyver.
BillC
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 25 2016, 10:10 PM) *

Now I'm trying to figure what will remove the left over tar the fastest. Paint thinner is working, kinda. Acetone drys too quick.
Might look at an asphalt/tar remover at the masonry supply store. Or aircraft paint stripper.

Try a penetrating oil, like PB Blaster or Kroil. Spray it on the asphalt, let it sit for a bit, then wipe it out. It'll dissolve the asphalt without hurting the paint underneath. You'll go through plenty of paper towels, though. And, the oil residue will evaporate overnight.

Wish SuperInLaw good luck for me.
76-914
Your giving me flashbacks Cary. In the late 50's my Dad had the bright idea of putting a layer of brush on Tar over the rivets in his aluminum boat to stop the leaks. Did not work worth a stromberg.gif . So he invested in the more expensive approach, fiberglass. Guess who got to remove that Tar crap during the prep work? first.gif
cary
Ended up going with Xylene from Home Depot. Worked well, but still messy.

Busy day today at Dad's Garage.
Two new electric fans in the Audi A6. New intercooler tubes on my Powerstroke.
Oil change on the 210k 99 Explorer. Then maybe I'll get the cone screw put back in my 914.
cary
Update on Super In Law :

Get this, BP was 116/60 at his new primary physician appointment on Tuesday. Dandy, 180 (emergency room) to 116. So he's pleading his case for the heat and dehydration. I'm not buying in.

Monitor recording shows no arrhythmia.
But it did show something called CTMT. (?) So he has a cardiologist appointment on the 24th. I think one of his upper valves is weak, or out of sink.

Heading out to the shop this am. We'll see how he does. Like I mentioned on Mark's thread. He's chomping at the bit to get back to work.

His project list :

Cutting the wheels off the second pawn shop tool box that will become the engine and small parts storage box. Locate under clean shop /office work bench.

Design the frame for the 55" computer monitor. Then create out of conduit.

Read instructions and get our powder coating oven up and running.

Measure and design metal girder installation over big door. That will allow us to install electric chain hoist at a later date.
ben*james
Hey, you guys take care over there. Best.
altitude411
So Super In Law might have a sticking valve and need timing adjust? Sounds like something that could easily be handled right in the shop?
Glad he's feeling better Cary. Wish my BP was that good... popcorn[1].gif
blackmoon
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 2 2016, 06:49 AM) *

Update on Super In Law :

Get this, BP was 116/60 at his new primary physician appointment on Tuesday. Dandy, 180 (emergency room) to 116. So he's pleading his case for the heat and dehydration. I'm not buying in.

Monitor recording shows no arrhythmia.
But it did show something called CTMT. (?) So he has a cardiologist appointment on the 24th. I think one of his upper valves is weak, or out of sink.

Heading out to the shop this am. We'll see how he does. Like I mentioned on Mark's thread. He's chomping at the bit to get back to work.

His project list :

Cutting the wheels off the second pawn shop tool box that will become the engine and small parts storage box. Locate under clean shop /office work bench.

Design the frame for the 55" computer monitor. Then create out of conduit.

Read instructions and get our powder coating oven up and running.

Measure and design metal girder installation over big door. That will allow us to install electric chain hoist at a later date.

Slave driver, keep him busy active life is a good life. The Cardio may recommend a pacemaker, however that will end any welding for him.Can't use the welder with one, speaking from experience of my own
cary
Friday he seemed a little cautious. That brought a tear to my eye when I was talking to the wife............. I'm hoping it is the fear of the unknown.
Saturday he slept in till 8am. In his words, half the day is over. LOL. But he had the old spring in his step. Spent from 10:30 till 4:30 at the shop. I don't think he ever sat down. Had a great day.

Blackmoon : I'm not going to be the one to tell him he has to stop welding.

Proud Papa moment. I have to share. Here is the view out of my middle son's office window in Manhattan. Just graduated JD at U of O.
He'll never see a court room. Contracts, tax law, venture capital & start ups is his passion.
Was interviewed and hired by the CEO. MY HERO.

Click to view attachment
cary
Can't keep a good man down. Super In Law had a work day at the church.
1. Setting up for the twice yearly garage sale. 2. A work day for 20 female students from George Fox.

I came home to my flat bed trailer 1/2 full of firewood for the shop. We have 30" wooden sides. piratenanner.gif

Stopping by 914 Rubber this am to pick up some tidbits for Mark's car.
Steuspeed is dropping by this afternoon to trade a seat.
cary
Super In Law Update :

Had his first cardiologist visit yesterday. No congestive failure issues.
Primary issue is one of the valves leaks. Which drops the pressure.
Then the neurological system goes crazy trying to compensate. Which causes the dizziness and racing heat rate.

Another set of tests next month to dial in the diagnosis.

He's all jacked. Next week he'll splitting the 2 cords of wood for the shop.
No maul swinging. We have a wood splitter .........
raynekat
Go Pops go....

Can't keep a good man down for long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.