Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
Here's the donor/parts car. I could have picked a better day, traffic wise. Took two hours to make the one hour trip.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It will have some good parts. Has all the rust in the usual places. Looks like someone started a V-8 conversion. We'll cut out the harness for color matching repair pieces.

Surprisingly it has some really good weather striping channel in the front trunk.

worn
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 3 2015, 07:02 AM) *

Here's the donor/parts car. I could have picked a better day, traffic wise. Took two hours to make the one hour trip.

Surprisingly it has some really good weather striping channel in the front trunk.

OMG Cary! This is the beginning of, no never mind, you are already sliding down that slope regardless of it being slippery or not.
cary
Don't even go there ............... I'm sick.

My Lottery dream would be a 10,000 square ft. shop lined with racks like this filled with 914 tubs.

Click to view attachment

Luke M
Hey Cary,

Great job on the car. I have a question for you.
I see that you grafted the door jam on the drivers side.
I did the same to my brothers car but the new piece vs the factory part seams to be different. The outside edge is sharp vs curved on the new piece. I can't tell by the pic you posted but it's in the area that's circled in this pic.

Thanks,
cary
Yes you are correct. It had to be reshaped to match up.
Luke M
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 3 2015, 07:29 PM) *

Yes you are correct. It had to be reshaped to match up.

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that and the route I'm taking too.
cary
Scroll up to post #426. It shows all the different shapes I use.go
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Cary!
Might be able to get those welded in this weekend.
cary
Go verrrrry slow with your stich welding.
Mine got too hot.
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Cary. Is that part sitting on the floor pan? or up a little. If so, how much?
cary
Well, life takes another twist. I'm getting transferred again. For the first time in my life I'll be able to walk to work. I don't think its really even sunk in yet. piratenanner.gif
I'll be at the Haggen in Sherwood, Oregon. I believe this will be the toughest challenge of my long career
The life math : $5000 gain in cash flow and 7-8 hours per week of my life back not sitting traffic

Today is my 4th of July holiday day off. So we'll be heading out to the shop to tidy up the door jam.
cary
Side Note : Took the family out to dinner at the Original Taco House in SE Portland after completing the Seattle to Portland bike ride/tour.

So I was thinking this might be my last trip to that side of town for a while. I'd seen a couple MORE 914 bodies out of the corner of my eye a couple weeks ago.
So we did drive by. Both look pretty good. Too bad they've been sitting outside in the PDX rain. They're inside of a locked fence so we couldn't get up close. I'm going to have to plan to make a trip back over there and strike up a conversation.
cary
Trojanhorsepower I'll get you the answer when I get to the shop. I think they're sitting on the pan.
cary
The seat adjuster bracket is sitting on the floor pan.
One car has it welded to the floor itself. The other doesn't.
cary
Todays work ..................

Here's were we started.

Click to view attachment

Here's were I ended.

Click to view attachment

Not my finest work. Nothing a little finishing putty wont fix.
Way toooooooooooo much grinder action. Material got to thin. mad.gif mad.gif

No butt clamps on the other side. We'll try the Cleco's fasteners.

cary
Donor in its temporary home. Super In Law spent the day with pencil and paper engineering his car stacker design.

Click to view attachment
cary
I decided that I will MIG weld the jam to sill joint. Then we'll tidy it up with All Metal body filler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
After getting the jam seams welded I moved on to installing the rocker end cap we fabricated some time ago. This car had quite a bit of rust repair in the inner fender/hinge post area when we made the car road worthy many years ago. Some good, some bad.
I'm just working on it being functional. If I run into this on another car. The fender will have to come off and be refitted.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now that I look at the bottom of that left front fender I may decide to cut that out and recreate it. But I need to keep reminding myself this is going to be a daily driver.
As these cars continue to go up in value and the front fender is welded on. Maybe RD will look at making a patch panel for this area. I think there's one for both the 911 and the 356. I'll look and see what the one looks like on the donor on Monday.

We cut the rocker cover channel off because it was so rotten when we took apart the car. Either way it will have to be recreated. Looks like in our first go around we did some welding and took correct shape out of the bottom edge of the fender. It kind nof rolls down and it isn't attached to the inner support.

Click to view attachment

When the time comes both sides will get some VERY detailed seam sealing, both tube and spray on. Then they'll get undercoated. Then on top of that they get Mark's inner fender liners to keep the debri from getting up there in the first place.

I did test fit the rocker cover.

Click to view attachment

cary
Then I moved on to installing the right door sill. Pretty uneventful.

Click to view attachment

I have some welding to do around the bottom of the hinge post where I recreated the layers. Right at the bottom radius.

cary
Onto to fitting, fiddling, cutting and installing the right door jam.
Here's where we start. Not exactly a high quality recreation. The the odd thing with both of these pieces, they seem to be made of a softer metal.

Click to view attachment

Then on to matching up the edges. sad.gif sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I used the fine wheel on the bench grinder to cut down and square up the edges.
Now we start lining things up .................

Click to view attachment

cary
After lining things up. I scribed the back and cut it off with the cut off wheel. When I made the cut I left the line on. It was too tight. But I'll do the same thing again.

Once again I cut it back with the bench grinder. That gave me a nice tight fit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Took it back off and brushed on the weld thru primer before we went to lunch.

Click to view attachment

cary
This time I took my time. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

I just wish the metal was a little bit harder and a little thicker.
You do need to turn up the heat just a smidgeon when you tie the welds together.

Knowing that I'll be using All Metal on the sill seam I didn't over grind it.

Click to view attachment

Much better. I still don't think I'll be able to weld the fender back on like Jeff ail did.
But it will be pretty close. Its more about being able to keep the two pieces level.

Click to view attachment

At the end of the day. She's covered with SE primer and ready for next time.

Click to view attachment

cary
While I'm working in the big shop. Super In Law is working on the new 12,000 lb winch he bought. A little over kill for pulling cars onto the trailer. He's fabricating it to mount into the 2*2 trailer hitch. Plus we'll add a tube to the floor of the open car trailer.

Click to view attachment

cary
Another installment of the Tool Whore show.
I bought 4 of these when we stopped at the steel/welding supply shop.
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Roloc-2-Inch-Z...0F91PWYM27TTSGG
Very impressive. I'll have to had them to my arsenal. But bad news, don't drop your die grinder, they snap right off.
cary
Added the sill supports to the right side. This time I decided to pre drill the top holes first.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

All tidied up and primered.

Click to view attachment

cary
Now on to the BIG task. I will begin to prep the entire bottom of the car for epoxy primer.
I still have a little work to do with the e-brake. But I'm getting antsy to start shooting primer to make it look like we've made some progress. I've been reluctant, because every time you do some grinder work everything gets filthy.

Here's the starting point.

Click to view attachment

Yesterday I took a trip out to KleenBlast the blasting material supplier out in North Portland and bought 5 bags of the Fine GlassBlast. The equivalent of walnut shells.
I thought I'd roll the dice ..............................
cary
Wow, this stuff was impressive.
Even with my cheezy HF sand blaster with the upgraded deadman valve.
http://abrasive-equipment.kleenindustrials...c=100|1189|1226

Doing the work was actually fun. I only had to wear a face shield and and a welding cap. In hindsight I should have wore ear plugs. I still have glass beads in my ears.
Blasting using sand puts out so much dust you have wear a hood and face mask.

In 2 hours I have the entire front pan ready to go. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dangerranger01
Looking good! What are the specs on your air compressor?
JoeDees
My favorite thread did not let me down today! Love it.
cary
QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Aug 4 2015, 07:44 PM) *

I don't know right off the top of my head. It was working pretty hard.
The first thing I'll do on Thursday is check the oil and drain the water. I did seem to slow down a couple times. So I hung up the gun and let it catch up. I will get you the numbers on Thursday night. I'm pretty sure it was largest one that Home Depot sold 10 years ago.

I forgot to say that I cleaned up the front fenders too............... with the little blaster it didn't seem to heat up the flat panels.

It was a good day !!!

We'll go back out there on Thursday AM and get 10 bags this time.
cary
Here is the info on the compressor
7hp 220v.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I probably drained a quart of water out of the pit-cock. It took probably 3 oz of compressor oil.

What I learned today is I'm going to add a pressure gauge to the blaster pot so I can see when the compressor isn't keeping up. At a full head of steam it cuts like raped ape. As it drops below 80 psi it slows the cutting down a bit. Cheap work around

Knowing what I know now. I'd buy an 80 gallon, 5 hp, two stage. That's on my pre retirement equipment upgrade list. But they start at $1600.
cary
Another Episode of Tool Whore:

Stopped at HF to pick up some replacement nozzles for the dead-man valve.

Click to view attachment

This is my 20# HF blaster. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the 50# unit.
We put the legs on it so I can wiggle it to get the material into the siphon when your getting to the end of the pot fill.

Click to view attachment

Here is Super In Law shortening the legs on the blaster. The glass beads don't have the clogging issue that sand does.

Click to view attachment

Then I picked up some new stuff for my tumbler. I got the recipe from a couple guys doing some restoration work here in PDX. Basically I was looking for a simple prep for hardware prior to going out for cad plating.

Only issue with the first batch was the wing nut backing out and the slurry being flung all over the cabinets. mad.gif mad.gif
So a word to the wise. Double nut the top before you start your batch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm going to stop at the hardware store and get a barrel nut for the bottom one.
cary
This is only issue that I found after the first day of blasting.

Click to view attachment

The bottom of the right head light bucket. I haven't taken a good enough look at it to determine my plan of attack. Probably just a small patch piece
cary
Now back to the task at hand ................

Here's our load of beads from this morning. 10 bags.

Click to view attachment

Then I get right to work. Off she comes, slick as a whistle.

Click to view attachment

The back half of the trunk came off real easy. Then I decide to do it right, the muffler heat shield needs to come off. There's no way to get things cleaned up right with it in the way.

First thing to do is locate the spot welds.

Click to view attachment

Came off pretty easy. Next time I would use 3/8" spot weld cutter. The 1/4" I usually use was too small.

Click to view attachment

On a side note. The first 3 pot fills were done with reclaimed material. Super In Law collected it out of the pool and with a broom and dust pan. Then ran it thru a screen.
Seemed to work the same. Maybe a little dustier.
cary
Just realized that I didn't shoot a picture of under the heat shield after it was stripped. I'll shoot a couple today.

On the last trip I pulled it out and continued to work on the inside of the rear fenders. Its little harder to blast, theres no where for the blast to exit. It makes it kind of hard to see. But it continues to do a great job. I'm going to buy a replacement dead man valve, an inline water collector and a pressure gauge on the way home. The closure plate on the valve has worn out.

I decided that I'll blast off the POR 15 that I applied in the trunk rather than purchase the tie in primer. I'd kind of been leaning toward just cleaning and scuffing the good paint in the trunk. But going to come off too.

Here's a shot of the beginning of the POR 15 removal before it started to rain.

Click to view attachment

After the thunderstorm started I decided to weld in the e-brake pieces. Pretty easy to locate when I still have the donor car still sitting in the room. The front end of the guide lines up with the front of the hole in the long. The wall mount is basically centered between the end of the guide and the center support.

Click to view attachment

Then I grabbed the new suspension ear and began to ponder its installation. Really pretty simple. It just needs to be 3/16" out farther from the firewall than my first install. Which means it slides up the long. The problem is, that might put it in the indentation on the new upper long piece. We'll see.

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 4 2015, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Aug 4 2015, 07:44 PM) *

I don't know right off the top of my head. It was working pretty hard.
The first thing I'll do on Thursday is check the oil and drain the water. I did seem to slow down a couple times. So I hung up the gun and let it catch up. I will get you the numbers on Thursday night. I'm pretty sure it was largest one that Home Depot sold 10 years ago.

I forgot to say that I cleaned up the front fenders too............... with the little blaster it didn't seem to heat up the flat panels.

It was a good day !!!

We'll go back out there on Thursday AM and get 10 bags this time.

Great work as always. A warning: I got one of the glass beads under my eyelid a few years ago. Rolled in and didn't want to roll back out. Even after it was gone it felt like it was there for a few hours. So, keep covered up some. Nice weather out there this time of year, so good working conditions. Here sunny equals humid most of the time and you get rust.
cary
I wear a complete face shield. Wraps around my big head pretty good.

My only issue is the moisture build up in the compressor running it so long. Today I'll add a filter at the blaster pot and see what I catch. Looks like I need to pony up and add a drier right after the compressor lines come thru the wall to catch the majority of it. The filter I'll use today will get mounted inline right before my primary 100ft. hose reel eventually.
cary
Today's forecast. 91 degrees, 75% humidity. We've been about 50% most of the summer. So rust hasn't been an issue.
Time to get things covered up.

I'm off all week, so I hope to make some progress this week.

Now that the e-brake guide is in I might spray the bottom of the floor pan this morning. I'd like to see how this SPI epoxy preforms. Getting antsy ....
cary
Here's the rear after the heat shield was removed and the area was blasted.

Click to view attachment

cary
Here's the additions to my blaster set up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After watching the gauge. It works like a raped ape at 130 PSI. Continues to cut pretty good until it drops below 100 PSI. By then you need to pause and let the dust settle.

cary
Here's where we started the day.

Click to view attachment

Here's where we ended.

Click to view attachment

Let's just say it was hot. 90 degrees in the shade. Started the day with overalls and my welding coat. Ended shorts and a t-shirt.

Didn't get to shoot any primer. sad.gif Way to hot. But I rolled it back inside and wiped it down so it would be ready on the next trip.
cary
My vacation cabana. Complete with a pool and a beach.

Click to view attachment

cary
Nice start to a hot day ..............

Click to view attachment

It's been a long time since I've a had a spray gun in my hand. By the time I get done primering the car I should have adjusting the gun down.

Adjust air pressure for runs
Adjust gun for orange peel

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/#!...-your-gun/c1lfc

cary
Then we went on to installing the right suspension mount for the second time. When it was all said and done. It moved out from the firewall 5/16 of an inch. It is now dead on.
From Jeff Hail's yellow pad notes : 33 1/2 outside to outside of the ear holes biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Left and right are exactly the same distance from center hole on the fire wall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Hi Sir, Can I hijack on your build thread? I just installed my passenger rear suspension console also a few months ago on my 71 1.7 but haven't finish it yet since then.
Are you planning to install or weld back the small pieces of metal underneath? (shown on my picture which I still have to add more metal to cover those spaces).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cary
By 3pm it was a little too hot to paint.

Click to view attachment

Just shy of 100 in the shade.

But we're all prepped to primer both the front and rear first thing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Wire cup brush took off the `flash rust.

cary
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 19 2015, 11:13 PM) *

Are you planning to install or weld back the small pieces of metal underneath? (shown on my picture which I still have to add more metal to cover those spaces).

Yes you need more. It needs to tie both halves together.
Here's a link to a guy who recreated the ties. Hope this helps.

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91.../rd-9-1-08.html

That's what we're going to work on while I'm letting the epoxy dry.
Spoke
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 7 2015, 12:48 AM) *

The back half of the trunk came off real easy. Then I decide to do it right, the muffler heat shield needs to come off. There's no way to get things cleaned up right with it in the way.

First thing to do is locate the spot welds.

Click to view attachment

Nice job on the clean up and rustoration.

I had to remove the heat shield as well for my car. Decided to make it an item which I can easily remove so I added welded nuts to the hangers and can now bolt and unbolt the shield.
cary
Good idea. I bought the tool when I lowered the seats in my 911.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 20 2015, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 19 2015, 11:13 PM) *

Yes you need more. It needs to tie both halves together.
Here's a link to a guy who recreated the ties. Hope this helps.

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91.../rd-9-1-08.html

That's what we're going to work on while I'm letting the epoxy dry.

Thanks for your response sir! And nice restoration you are doing sir, I have been watching your restoration since you started it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.