Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
sixnotfour
scooper
cary
Nice to be finally back at my shop (MiddleMotors). biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Cutting out the center section from my last incoming parts car for Taylor Whitesell's project. After doing a that Subaru timing belt at home I decided to haul the parts car to the shop.

Click to view attachment

First, off came the nose.

Click to view attachment

Decided that we'll be keeping both the complete longs. From front inner fender to the rear trunk fire wall. So I cut around the front end of the long.

Click to view attachment

So far. One good right metal rocker panel. One aluminum sill plate. Complete front end. Both bottom rear front fenders.
cary
Well, the right long didn't pass inspection once I got the fenders cut off. It's been repaired before and its a twisted mess, but the left still looks good. I will try and save the front end of the right long, the stiffener box under the door hinge post and the inside corner of the fender.

Super In Law will head out tomorrow to harvest the rear suspension and tear down the front. So they can be added to the inventory.

Click to view attachment
After we harvest the left long there won't be much left.

Harvested the rear fender skins. I also decided to keep the cracked dash. I'm thinking I'll fill the cracks and have the dash refinished in Alcantara for my project car.

Click to view attachment
cary
Another cool shot from Rothsport today ......................

Click to view attachment

Gauges should be back from North Hollywood by the end of the week.
Co Driver gets two foot switches. Horn and dimmer.
Anodized panel coming to cover the fresh air vent.

cary
New Episode of Tool Whore.

Picking up a used twice paint gun washer
for $200. I don't usually low ball, he was asking $350.
It will come in handy on Doug's freshly primered
car. Seal it back up after every project area is finished up.
cary
You guys missed it today. We did an engine R & R on a 993 race car at 5pm. Needed to replace the pressure plate socket head bolts before it was loaded into the trailer heading to Thunderhill in the am. 42 minutes.

Pretty easy to tell why Jeff was a Le Mans winning crew chief. Liv'n the Dream

Friday is going to be a throw down day at MiddleMotors. Start with picking up Doug's car at the paint shop, deliver it to Forest Grove. Get Taylor's center section cleaned and ready for delivery. Trip to metal recycling yard with remainder of the parts car and the barrels of scrap. Then back to the shop setting things up for working on Doug's car. Get the 911 prepped for next weekends 2 day autocross. Then make room for Matt's project.
Maybe a couple beers at the end of the day.

Click to view attachment

raynekat
Nice business card Mate!

Glad to get the major blasting completed and the car in primer.
Back at your shop soon.
Mikey914
Nice.

Also looks lime ill be moving closer to your shop too!
jmitro
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 6 2017, 01:27 AM) *

I'm thinking I'll fill the cracks and have the dash refinished in Alcantara for my project car.

do you have a product and/or source for filling dash cracks as well as obtaining alcantara? I'm going to do the same on my restoration project
cary
I'm going to check Jeff to make I can use the guy Rothsport uses.

cary
She's finally back to a roller. Rolling on Braid Dakar wheels and BF Goodrich K02's.
Heading off for a weekends worth of welding at ProFab. Kangaroo bars front and back and the enclosure for the custom made fuel cell.
When it returns I'll go to on the work fender liners and mud flaps. This thing is bitch'n.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Making the final cuts on the parts car. The only thing I really kept was the full length left long. When I have time to trim it up we'll see if its worth keeping, might end up being just the mounts. The right does look like it will have a usable motor mount for Mark. Hacked that section out before it went into the scrap pile.

Click to view attachment
cary
Got Matt all set up and going last night ...............
Starting with detailing the engine compartment and rear suspension. I'll let him detail. He's taking lots of pictures.

Strangest thing on this low mile car. All the fasteners remove without much trouble.
cary
While I'm working on Doug's car and helping Matt, Super In Law is building a jig and tooling to break down all the trailing arms I've amassed over the years.
One to pop out the hub. Both with and without bearing removal. Another to drive out he pivot shaft.
Matt left last night with a pair of unburnt (LOL) trailing arm bushings.
Pictures to follow.
cary
The rally cars builds are finally over. Next week, building tool chests and packing spare parts. We're taking the cars out for testing tomorrow. Hopefully, if we have any issues they'll pop up. But I should be able to get back to 3 days a week on Doug's car when we get back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is going to be great event. Jeff Zwart is driving car #2, the white one. Randy Wells in coming along to shoot photos and write a couple articles.

I'd like to say thanks for those that kind of prodded me along to make a career change.
cary
Here's a couple shots of Super In Laws jig/tooling for doing trailing arm break downs.

Jig to hold the arm in place while pressing out the hub and or bearing.
Click to view attachment

Three piece rod to press out the pivot shaft.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

sad.gif On a sad note, we lost the electric motor on the parts washer. We bought it used and the unit had been sitting out in the rain. Got a price quote from Better Engineering. $900, plus shipping for motor and pump. Motor not available by itself.

cary
Let's go racing ...............................

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We're taking them to Portland's Wilsonville Cars & Coffee this am.

cary
I'm back from Mexico.
I opened an Instagram account. As soon as all the photos get synced to the computer I'll do a day by day story.

Here's a Randy Wells shot from the roof of our hotel in La Paz.
I'm under the yellow car installing rebooted 1/2 shafts.

Click to view attachment

cary
While I was working on Doug's jack points Super In Law is creating plates and plugs for the rear trailing arms so I can take them outside and blast the paint off them.
Click to view attachment

Matt stopped by and I got after blasting his heat exchangers and fan housings.
Mark will stop by tomorrow afternoon for a project review on his For Sale Car.
PlantMan
I work with a guy who was down in Mexico last week too.
Just saw your cars on the Norro 1000 website.

Norro 1000

Scroll down half way.

Cool stuff Cary.
cary
I'm in the booney hat behind Cameron's helmet. This was our first service without a need to do any repairs. piratenanner.gif

Here's a few shots I've collected that won't be in my Instagram shots.

Team #1. Jeff, Cameron, Josh and Cary.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Silt ..................
Click to view attachment

1st nights service at San Felipe. Rebuilding shocks and resetting the suspension.
Click to view attachment

2nd nights service at the Bay of LA. Engine swap on Car #2. Rubber hose let go. sad.gif
They'll be a You Tube video. We swapped the engine in a dust storm.
Click to view attachment

4th nights service at the Hotel Blue in La Paz.
Click to view attachment
I'm under the yellow car installing rebooted half shafts

cary
Instagram account is MiddleMotors.
falcor75
Following (914RS is me) smile.gif
cary
Thursday 5/4/17
Spent the last bit of the day glass blasting Matt's (914 Rubber's Barnfind) trailing arms and other heat exchanger.
Click to view attachment

Matt's Plan

Trailing arms : Powder coated
Fan Housing : Flame Proof paint
Heat Exchangers : Ceramic coated
cary
With the Mexican 1000 and and Luftgekuhlt over its time to get the Powerstroke ready for the trip to WCR. 190k it's time for a turbo rebuild. Bearings and seals.
cary
No rebuild, it's dead. Both lateral and vertical play in the shaft. To me no noticeable reduction in power. Just oil smoke when braking. sad.gif
So we're moving on up.

LATE 99 00 01 02 03 FORD 7.3 TURBO POWERSTROKE TURBOCHARGER 2 YEAR WARRANTY
NEW BANKS WHEEL NEW UPGRADE ACTUATOR NEW TURBINE WHEEL
Click to view attachment
Plus EBPV delete pedestal and high flow outlet.
cary
Short episode of Tool Whore :
Added multiple weapons for the shop press.
Click to view attachment

Rally cars returned Thursday am safe and sound. I believe I'll be starting on the Desert Flyer first so it can be sent home to Cameron's shop.
Click to view attachment

Off to Forest Grove to get back to work on Doug's car ...................
Full day today and tomorrow.

raynekat
QUOTE(cary @ May 12 2017, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Plus EBPV delete pedestal and high flow outlet.

Dude....you a rocket scientist or something?
cary
Super In Law finished up breaking down the pile of front end parts . All boxed up in heavier Home Depot black & yellow totes.
Click to view attachment

Matt dropped off the suspension tie plates that 914 Rubber had laser cut. Matt is going to record a welding and shaping video with Super In Law.
Click to view attachment
cary
Getting ready for WCR here at home. My new whizzbang turbo showed up last night. Just made it back to Sherwood a minute before he Post Office closed. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Shot of new and old compressor wheel.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Enough nerd stuff .............. time to go to work.
cary
Powerstroke turbo install.

Click to view attachment
Tidy up the area.

Click to view attachment
Reverse the CCV dog house in preparation for mod.

Click to view attachment
New EPBV deleted pedestal installed. Not a blank. This version eliminates the possibility of the delete throwing a CEL.

Click to view attachment
38 lbs. and a very tight fit/work area. I'm told Ford's book time includes lifting the cab for work space.

Click to view attachment
Just about wrapped up. It was my day for having the dropsy's.

Click to view attachment
Test drive went well. I was told the turbo would be louder. I didn't notice anything obnoxious. AKA Hillbilly.
Nice to have that out of the way.

Remaining WCR Checklist.

1. Rotate and re-balanced truck tires
2. Get trailer tires re-balanced
3. Inspect trailer brake magnets
4. Steam clean trailer
5. PlasticDip 914 studded tires
6. Install E-Track in trailer to stand up spare tire.
7. Maybe cut in/install roof vent
cary
Short Episode of Tool Whore ............. Thursday 5/25/17

On my shop equipment equipment list was added a pallet stacker. The totes of parts are getting filled up. Which means they can't be brought down complete, which is a PIA.
I've been watching this Big Joe pallet stacker on Craigslist for about 6 months. It started out at $1400. It's finally down to $700. This is nothing real fancy. No power walk. #2000 capacity. Needs a paint job, switch and new battery. Perfect for what little I'll use it. Compact, won't take up too much room and it lifts 11 ft. from the floor.

So I finally get the address. $600 later its loaded into the truck.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tucked into its new home. We'll stop and pickup a new switch on the way out to the shop this am.

Here's the equipment list I wrote last winter .............. chipping away at it.

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(cary @ May 26 2017, 06:56 AM) *

Short Episode of Tool Whore ............. Thursday 5/25/17

On my shop equipment equipment list was added a pallet stacker. The totes of parts are getting filled up. Which means they can't be brought down complete, which is a PIA.
I've been watching this Big Joe pallet stacker on Craigslist for about 6 months. It started out at $1400. It's finally down to $700. This is nothing real fancy. No power walk. #2000 capacity. Needs a paint job, switch and new battery. Perfect for what little I'll use it. Compact, won't take up too much room and it lifts 11 ft. from the floor.

So I finally get the address. $600 later its loaded into the truck.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tucked into its new home. We'll stop and pickup a new switch on the way out to the shop this am.

Here's the equipment list I wrote last winter .............. chipping away at it.

Click to view attachment

What a deal. Speaking of deals (I know you already have one but) Tractor Supply has an IR, 2 stage, 80gal, 5hp, 150psi for $800 something. That is only $200 more than I paid for my Lowe's, Campbell Hausfield, single stage 135psi 80 gal. headbang.gif
cary
Spent $40 on Big Joe and she works like a dream .........................
$5 switch and a $35 Junior Battery Tender.
cary
We made it back from WCR late last night with our amazing gift from Tgaboy (Steve).
I'm still in awe .................
Click to view attachment

The trip home started to get pretty exciting between Susanville and Mt.Shasta. Lots of roller coaster type hills. Which meant shifting in and out of Overdrive. That switch function stopped working all together. sad.gif But then after a while things smoothed out and the shifting came back and we made it home. Assume transmission cooled down ............
This am my daughter and her boyfriend were using the truck to go bike riding. After it got warmed up it stopped shifting from 1st. to 2nd. sad.gif Game over. I've been nursing it along for a couple years.

Most have been divine intervention. To get Jack home safe and sound.

I have a rebuild appointment on the 19th at EIS here in Sherwood. Super razu HD rebuild. 2 1/2 times larger tranny cooler, yada, yada, yada. Not for the faint of wallet. But I plan to keep the truck for another 300k miles.
raynekat
Cool sign Man.....you must of done something right. tongue.gif
cary
For those that have been following my crazy life. Today is Super In Law's (Jack) Birthday. 87 years old. That is a good life ....................
Yes he's slowed down quite a bit. After his heart scare he's way more cautious.

birthday3.gif birthday3.gif

Today is the post WCR shop restart.
1. Finish Mark's for sale car. Finish brakes, hoses and bleeding. Then pull the fuel and send off to 914 World for the team to install the interior.
2. That will make room for Taylor's car. It need some R & R of the front tub sheet metal do to rodent nests.
Click to view attachment
3. Than on to Doug's 6 cylinder motor mount. welder.gif
tygaboy
birthday3.gif to Jack!!! aktion035.gif
cary
For Chris :

Super In Law giving Big Joes front wheels a tune up at 87. piratenanner.gif
After the tune up he used Big Joe to lift an engine off a table. Then up onto the rack.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While I'm working I'm catching up on my WRC action.

Click to view attachment
cary
Today Mark's and Taylor's cars are swapping places so I can give Taylor a hand with the firewall R & R.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=298851&hl=
cary
New Episode Of Tool Whore ...................

Well my PowerBall ticket didn't win on Saturday. But when this came up on Craigslist this morning I felt like I'd won the lottery. It's a vibrating/agitating small parts washer, at Rothsport we call it the rattler. It uses the good stuff, carburetor cleaner. I didn't think one would ever come up for sale.
Air powered and I'll snag a shiny new Mobil 1 15 gal oil can from Rothsport.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif $50 ................... and $125 worth of carb cleaner. I have 4-5 5 gal buckets of hardware and small parts ready and waiting. piratenanner.gif
76-914
Nice score, Cary. Say hi to Jack for me. beerchug.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 13 2017, 08:27 AM) *

Nice score, Cary. Say hi to Jack for me. beerchug.gif

Jack pumping the breaks on Marks car.
cary
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 11 2017, 09:39 AM) *

Today Mark's and Taylor's cars are swapping places so I can give Taylor a hand with the firewall R & R.

cary
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 16 2017, 06:39 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jun 11 2017, 09:39 AM) *

Logistics didn't work out on Sunday. In the works for today.
Had to tinker with the right rear brakes to get the venting adjustment to come to life on Mark's For Sale Car. Then I removed the half shafts so the car can roll down the road with no engine. In went a pair of outer subs to keep the bearings in place. 2 ugha dughas on the impact gun. She's ready roll...................

With truck waiting for its new transmission, the 914 is my daily driver. Super In Law is pretty used to the car. He doesn't even hold onto the door anymore. LOL.

Matt thanks for the picture. I forget the people shots. dry.gif
cary
Busy Saturday at MiddleMotors.

Click to view attachment

Taylor : Cut out dash/firewall

Super In Law : Cleaning out parts car getting ready for the next series of parts cut out.

Matt : Putting Barn Find together and shooting shots of 914 Rubber parts installs.
cary
When Richard was over visiting us at Rothsport he mentioned he was building a 914-6.
Looks like he built one and took it to Sweden to his Ice Driving School (playground).
I think he's having a good time .................
Let me know if the video fires up if you don't have Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPyXKmigrin/?ta...rsche&hl=en
cary
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2502260

Side note : The 2 new cans of U-Pol weld thru primer are the copper based instead of zinc. Error : Either them or me ? Man it's a alot nicer to weld onto. I just laid that washer on the primer and blipped away. No spitter spatter like the zinc.
76-914
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 2 2017, 08:23 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2502260

Side note : The 2 new cans of U-Pol weld thru primer are the copper based instead of zinc. Error : Either them or me ? Man it's a alot nicer to weld onto. I just laid that washer on the primer and blipped away. No spitter spatter like the zinc.

I guess I'll give it another try then. The can I purchased on line was mushroomed on the bottom and wouldn't spit a drop out the sprayer nozzle. Ended up getting my shorts in a wad and threw the can in the trash. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.