Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary's 73 1.7 Rustoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
cary
Cut off the suspension console. It ended up being 3/16's too close to the firewall. And the car would have been 3/16's higher on that side. The 3/16's out from the wall will move it up the long there by lowering the car.
More of that conversation located here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=189224

Click to view attachment Removed suspension console

Click to view attachment Ready for new suspension console

New part ordered from RD 11/3/2014
cary
On a positive note. We're back to work.

Super In Law is working on the buggered up fuel line grommet hole hole on the right side of the tunnel to front firewall. Can't really figure what some one did, so we cut it out. It's like they used a big screwdriver to lever the grommet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The floor pan section you see on the left will come out with the new to me pedal box and the new floor pan.

Click to view attachment

He did I nice job of getting it fitted. He built the lip with the press, vise and a pipe.
Its a little rough, but it will work. The line points to the only spot that we're having a tough time grinding down the welds.
Might try this weapon next time. But like always I don't know if theres enough room for the tool and the hose.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-extended...tool-67996.html
I like them smooth enough so they look tidy and tight (no holes) after I seam seal them.
cary
Then I went about creating the pattern to patch the bottom of the engine compartment fire wall, the rusty spot where the tubes and cables come thru. Like just about everything on this car.That area was way over welded when we put it on the road 12 years ago. sad.gif

I used the new back floor pan as the pattern. Then used the white car, which is still on the lift to take top to bottom measurements from.

Click to view attachment

Remember when you go about making your pattern you have to compensate for the width of the cutting disk you used to cut out the part.

Click to view attachment

Here's the two removed pieces that I started with. The yellow arrow points to the shifter rod bushing console. The blue box is the section that will need the most test fitting and fiddling. I'm just now getting a handle on the pattern cutting. Do you cut it with the marker line or marker line out? Kind of like making wood cabinets. One blade width makes a HUGE difference. biggrin.gif
cary
Here's were I ended the day. Left patch is in. I like it.
Right patch I'm still fitting. Next trip I'll flip the car on its lid so the floor pan will be laying flat for fitting.

Click to view attachment

That's with a portion of the new flange installed. Yellow Arrow
This was real handy for welding on the flange. Used the 90 degree plate.
http://www.eastwood.com/welders-helper-3x3...cop-plates.html
And not being a dumbass and taking the finger off the trigger. Stitch welded. This was new metal to new metal. So it was weld, cool with air hose, and weld again. No blow thru.
My biggest problem is seeing the weld location while I'm welding. Not enough light. I wish AirGas had loaner helmets.

Click to view attachment

Here's were I ended. Might have to make a new one, the hole under the speedo tube is a bit too wide. Got impatient with the bench grinder. Plus I'll have issues with the brass brazing so I won't want to be in that spot too long or too hot.

Heading home ....................... Then beer3.gif beer3.gif
cary
When we got home my package from RD had arrived.
Left Ontario on Tuesday, arrived in Sherwood on Saturday.

As always , great service and great packaging.

Click to view attachment

I've decided I'll wait until the floor, tunnel and inside fire wall are installed before I get after this part again. I'm going ask RD for some close ups of the outriggers they built onto the 914 jig. I want mine to be removable. So that when I finish with either the left or right console I can get them out of the way. I'm always banging my head on the jig with either the welding helmet or the face shield flipped up.
cary
As I was sitting here writing these 3 or 4 posts I think I'll have my son come out and shoot some short video of us using the shear, shrinker/stretcher and the brake as we build these patch pieces. Plus some of the different pieces of steel that we pound on.

All my metal working tools are DIY or Harbor Freight not JET (winning the Powerball wish list).

Until Thursday my next day off.
cary
Another good day. Super In Law cut out and tacked in the the new pedal cluster pan. Pretty easy fit. Just laid the new one right inside the old one. Bolted them together right thru the master cylinder holes. Then cut right thru both layers with the cutting disk.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Haven't decided where we'll cut

cary
While he was working on that. I went back to fabricating the engine compartment lower firewall patch.
I started with aligning the new rear portion of the floor pan to find the final shape. Held it in place with multiple clamps. That worked perfect.

Click to view attachment

New patch piece created with flange welded on. Holes drilled in it with a HF step drill bit. It worked like champ.

Click to view attachment

Patch welded in. Need to touch up a couple pin holes that I saw. I'll tidy them up tomorrow.

Click to view attachment
cary
Back to work ............

I start with filling the gap between the shift bushing console and the firewall flange.

Click to view attachment

So I start with tacking it together. Then I start the stitch welding. I use 4 different shapes and sizes of brass to back the weld. Key is patience. No more than four pulses at one time without stopping and cooling with an air hose. Did I say be patient?
This was actually easier than it looks. New 18 gauge for the flange. And the firewall and shifter console are heavy enough to absorb the heat.
I am starting to do a better job of wire brushing between welds. It seems to be helping.

Click to view attachment

All done and tidied up .......... piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

This was actually the welding that I feared the most. I thought it was going to be tougher than it was. Or maybe I'm just learning what to do and not to do. Practice, practice and practice. Entire flange is installed side to side.

Click to view attachment

Here's the back. Without touching it up or grinding.

Click to view attachment
cary
Finally opened up my Christmas present.
TP Tools.

Click to view attachment

I used it to remove the seam sealer around the bottom of the firewall. Easy deal. That way the welding magnets could stick to hold up the new flange.
Then I tinkered with removing the undercoating in the front fender.

cary
Then I bought some power tool cord repair sleeves to use as fuel line firewall bushing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll trim them down after I see if they'll work.
cary
No pictures from yesterday.
Welded in a cover over the left front suspension point next to the pedal/master cylinder mounting. Hole had been punched in it. Cant imagine why? Threads are good.
Then we went about building some patches on the upper rear firewall right above the seam to the lower portion. These are caused by moisture getting behind the engine sound pad.
The new Christmas tool made short work of that glue/hair left from the firewall pad on the engine compartment side.

All I can add from yesterday is. Make sure you make the patch big enough to make sure your welding the new patch to good metal. You'll spend more time stitching the big hole you blew in the material than you will welding in the whole piece.
Dammit that pisses me off.................

Flashed my eyes tinkering with my helmet on my first weld. Made for a tough start to the day. I was tinkering with grind setting. Turns off the auto darkening. Probably wont use that again ................... When I started burning rust it made it a little tough to see. Plus like a dumbass I laid down too much weld thru primer, again, Which causes another good flash. By the end of the day all was good. All fine this am.
arkitect
Cary,
Amazing work you've done on this teener. Keep it up, like to see it when it's done.

Dave first.gif
worn
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 29 2014, 10:50 PM) *

As Super In Law was reading I went to getting ready to install the right side suspension console. Super In Law had his measurements on the white car from when we changed it out 7 or 8 years ago. Got the triangle measurement from the World info. Found a piece of all thread and nuts needed to create the measurement.

Click to view attachment

Hi Cary,
This is one of my favorite threads. With the console have you considered mounting the outer ear and spacing with that? I would think that would be a critical dimension. You and super in law are hereby inducted into "L'order du fer grinding dust and fire". Glad to see you both side by side.
worn
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 22 2014, 06:11 AM) *

Flashed my eyes tinkering with my helmet on my first weld. Made for a tough start to the day. I was tinkering with grind setting. Turns off the auto darkening. Probably wont use that again ................... When I started burning rust it made it a little tough to see. Plus like a dumbass I laid down too much weld thru primer, again, Which causes another good flash. By the end of the day all was good. All fine this am.

Yeah, I got a brand name helmet with auto darkening that you had to turn on every time you use it! So of course I learned if the first flash is too bright to close my eyes, stop, take off the helmet, and push the button inside. That helmet is no longer in use.
cary
Next time ....................

We're going to build a jig that bolts to the ear, BEFORE we take off the old one.
Kinda of like what RD did. That way it will line back up EXACTLY.
Plus if we hadn't had to replace the upper long it would have been a little easier to align back in the exact spot.

I know everyone says all it has to be is within 3-4mm. But I like zero if it can be done.

The other dimension that I will take next time is the distance between the upper longs right where they go into the rear trunk. I think I was off just a smidgeon in that spot. Which caused a top to bottom minute twist in the upper long. Which I believe is what caused my 3/16 issue with the console. Lesson learned. That's why I started with my worst car first .............

Click to view attachment
cary
Well, here's where we started today. Upper firewall patches.

Click to view attachment

Left patch welded in.

Click to view attachment

Left all sealed up.

Click to view attachment

cary
I was hoping to use my new spray seam sealer tool. But it's still a bit too cold. Plus I found that tube of seam sealer that I bought with the gun was outdated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Then I move to the middle patch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Trying to be a good boy and not over grind. I'll take it down just a bit more before
I seam seal it.
cary
Then I move to the right patch. Super In Law is making the patches right ahead of me.

Click to view attachment

A couple spots got a little too rusty on the backside. Therefore blew out a big hole. But it was exacerbated by the fact that Super In Law turned up the wire speed to 40 and I missed it. Too Hot.

Click to view attachment

Elected to put the flange on the inside. It will make for a better sealed joint in the bottom of the hell hole.

Click to view attachment

While I'm welding in the last patch, Super In Law is designing a rolling car stacker.
We went and looked at a couple more tubs yesterday. A 74 and a 75. Both with titles.
Both with engines and transmissions. One needs a back half floor pan. The other car might need a patch on the bottom side of the right long. Both hell holes are solid.
He wants to build a wooden 4 * 4 gadget that we tow would around with the 4 wheeler.
I'm thinking we put up the next two sections of pallet racking. Then I rent a fork lift and put them in the racking. Minus engine, transmission and interiors
saigon71
Great progress! Keep on sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
cary
Been busy with the brakes on the other 914. Just finished them up
Super In Law is fabricating a locking ring on the rotisserie. Currently we have four pin holes. This will give us infinite locking locations.

Click to view attachment

So I decided to teach myself to braze. Kind of got it figured out. I do a beautiful with copper pipe and solder. I'll work on when to pull away the torch.

Click to view attachment

cary
Back to work ............

On to rebuilding the tubes in the tunnel. All new except for the clutch tube.
First shot at brazing the torch wasn't hot enough. Spent my morning coffee time watching brazing videos on YouTube. Now I've got it figured out. Easy Deal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Building a new center tunnel brake line. To do so I had to put a new bubble flare on one end. Took 4-5 test runs to get it dialed in.

Click to view attachment

cary
Click to view attachment

Started the day by pulling all the hardware bags out of the parts totes. I'm working on a plan to hang them on the wall so I can find them as needed. I'm getting tired of digging thru the totes to the find pieces I'm looking for. After I get them hung on the wall then I'll start preparing them for plating.
cary
Ended the day finishing the plumbing in the center tunnel. Added a conduit for the fuel pump wires. It always bugged me that the wire was just flopping around in there.

Click to view attachment

cary
Haven't stopped working.
1. Prepping the inside of the lower engine bay firewall so it can be sealed up for another 40 years. Nothing exciting to take pictures of.
2. I've been tinkering with the other car so it can get back on the road. DONE.
3. Mark came over and we tinkered with his new fender liners. They're installed on the white car.
4. Super In Law collected all of our drill bits and taught himself how to sharpen them with our Drill Doctor. When the dust cleared we have three good sets. Just need to buy some more 1/8s.
cary
Back at it.

I'm working on filling the spot weld cutter holes left over from the inner lower fire wall removal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Super In Law is working at prepping the lips and floorpan. Getting ready to install the floorpan. Feels like it will be a big leap.

Click to view attachment

Plus I sold the seats in my 911. Just ordered Corbeau Clubman seats.
One piece, and lighter.

cary
Been busy selling the seats in my 911 and removing factory mounts. Now I'm going to fabricate some mounts to install my new Corbeau Clubman seats. Lowering the seat about 2"s I hope.

But we did make the money cut yesterday on the front edge of the front floor pan.
Its starting to feel like its coming back together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It will take some fiddling and dolly work to get it finessed the way I want it.
Nice and Sanitary
It's going to be a joy welding on good solid steel. LOL.

cary
Took a time out .............
I've been working on my 911. Lowered the seat rails. Bought new seats. Now I'm tackling one of the hardest (needs LOTS of patience) 911 DIY projects. Installing RS carpet kit.
Portland PCA season starts Saturday. Hopefully I'll get the carpet finished on Friday.

But while we're at it Super In Law (Grandpa Jack) is installing some new to us pallet racking.

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
Damn, Granpa Jack is a handy man to have around!

Good meeting you in Corona Del Mar and The swap a few weeks ago.
cary
Well we're finally back to working on the 914 rustoration. 911 is all set to go for the AX season. Seems likes its been a loooonnnggg time. For the PNW folks, I've been involved in the transition from Albertsons to Haggen. Its been a long couple of months.

Started the day by tidying up the shop.

Click to view attachment

Ended the day with the front edge of the front floor pan welded and tidied up. Quite a bit of fiddling to get it to line up perfectly. Next time suggestion, I would make the cut/seam to the tub be all up on the top/flat surface. Passenger side looks tidy, Drivers side I was down in a dip and couldn't really tidy to the weld as much as I like. As for the fiddling. It was relatively easy work. I never welded more than an inch after I had all my tacks in place.

Click to view attachment

As you can see I have the rest of the pan all screwed into place. Ready to go for tomorrow. I finally feel like we're making progress, man what a feeling. I left the shop with huge smile on my face. Oh yeah, it's really fun welding on NEW RD metal. I only ran into a couple thin spots when mating up to the tub. All it takes is a little bump down in heat, I mean a little. My MillerMatic 180 has settings for metal gauge. So lets say I'm operating at 17.25 on the dial. I'll bump it up to 17.50 -17.65 and puddle the hole closed. But for that front seam I've been running in the mid 17's. But that's not seam welding, its stitch welding. Maybe three puddles max. Man do you want to keep going. But your putting way to much heat in one spot. Take your finger off the trigger.

Clarification on the Caryism ........... Down in heat means up in metal gauge on the dial. I'll shoot a picture on the dial tomorrow.

I didn't weld in the pedal support yet. I wanted to get the seam welded first. You can see on Adam's RD floor install video you'll need to elongate the hole in the pedal support just a smidgen to get the pedal support to align correctly. Mine was exactly the same. A word of wisdom, when you lay the pedal support on the pan to draw where to drill the holes. Draw the hole about 1/2 the width of the stud towards the fire wall. That compensates for the angle. A Habor Freight step drill bit was real handy for drilling the holes.

If you've keep up with the entire thread you can kind of figure out that I'm kind of fixture/tool/gadget whore. We built a jig to hold up the floor because the inner bottom firewall has yet to be installed. Tunnel is still loose. Seems to have worked great. Built two. One for the front, one for the back. It was made out of an old bed frame.

Click to view attachment

Might stop at the paint store and buy some spray on seam sealer for the other new toy that I've never used.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
cary
Another Tool Whore segment. In Adam's RD video he mentions that he drills the rosette weld holes. That's way too much work. I use my air punch wherever I can. I does have thickness and depth limitations. But it works in most places.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-punch-flange-tool-1110.html

Another Tool Whore word of advice. Don't buy HF air fittings, they SUCK. I use NAPA or Home Depot with nice leak free results.

cary
I had to re-cut the center seam again. Had a little too much hanging off the back. mad.gif
All it takes is time. So by the middle of the day I was ready to start welding.
Here's the promised shot to the welder dials.

Click to view attachment

Then I started stitching ............

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Another lesson today. After watching Adam's RD floor install video. I was thinking it was a waste of time putting a screw into rosette hole. So I did every other hole.
Come to find out there is a method to his madness.
The holes punched out without a screw ran though them are a pain in the ass. Your fighting the flash off of the weld thru primer in every weld.
The screw holes created a much nicer weld. All you need to do is start the wire on the bottom layer and circle your way out.

Click to view attachment

cary
Already to finish up next week. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I have more Vise Grips than flashlights .............. LOL

Click to view attachment

cary
Landlord blew up the lawn mower.

Super In Law spent the day working his magic. I've had the mower for 23 years
Mowed 2 acres twice a week in Montana.

Click to view attachment

76-914
Fun! beerchug.gif
cary
As soon as I finish the floor and all its extra parts I'm going to start epoxy primering.
That will make it look and feel like we're getting somewhere.

I'm thinking i might stop after that and paint my white car, I have 3 or 4 rust spots to cut and patch. It will need to be stripped first. The car runs like a new car. Its a shame the paint doesn't look as nice as the car runs.
cary
Back to work ................

Prepped the tunnel before lunch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded the engine firewall lip after lunch. Some of the punched holes were in a
a bad location

Click to view attachment

All tidied up. Prepped the jack point.
Tomorrow I'll get after the tunnel. Maybe we'll get the Panel Spotter fired up.
cheer.gif cheer.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
Another Great Day .......................
Started the day by making sure the pedal cluster goes back in without issues before I spot weld in the pedal box stiffener. It's little tight. Elongated the holes a bit. Good too go.

Click to view attachment

Panel Spotter ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Super In Law gives it a go .................

Click to view attachment

cary
Got the rest of the floor pan parts out and ready to go.

Click to view attachment

With the Panel Spotter hooked up and ready to I decide to install the seat stiffeners.

Click to view attachment

Inside look at the backside of spot welds. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

cary
Come back from lunch and I get after the tunnel rosette welds.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got some grinder work to do. But man, what a great feeling. beer3.gif beer3.gif
Kind of looks like a car again.

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(cary @ May 14 2015, 09:02 PM) *

Come back from lunch and I get after the tunnel rosette welds.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got some grinder work to do. But man, what a great feeling. beer3.gif beer3.gif
Kind of looks like a car again.

Click to view attachment

Seasons greetings. The welding sanding and priming season. Nice, very nice work.
-warren
FourBlades

I think a new floor on is the most satisfying panel to weld on a 914.

I have done 2 and they both felt so good to get on.

It is easy to do and makes such a big difference.

You are on a roll now!

John
Cairo94507
Terrific work. I enjoy seeing the progress as the 914 begins to take shape again. Full steam ahead!
cary
Looks like there won't be a time out on the rustoration. Middle son is coming up to Portland to intern at a law firm this summer.
He called last night and asked if the white car was drive able? He knows I like tinkering. New squeegees and fuzzy s came from Mark yesterday.

He s going to be living downtown and riding a bike to work. (It's a Portland thing,. The other son is riding to work everyday this month and getting 3 extra days of vacation). I guess he and I will fight over it on the weekends.

I just wish the shop was closer and I could put a couple hours in every night. It's a 35 minute drive from home.

Super In Law built a couple 4*2*1 wooden crates to put the usable/removable metal that came off the car. One for old. One for unused or trimmed off RD panels.
He's going to build another to put all the things I've removed off my 77 Carrera 3.0. Values are starting to escalate. Just in case the kids want to restore it after I'm long gone. I've built it into a 3.0 RS clone.
cary
Click to view attachment

Still needs turbo flares and a single black mirror. That will happen when it gets a total restoration. It's next.
That will include $10k in suspension and oiling cooling. Plus a Rothsport engine rebuild. $$$$ ITB's, 964 cams, etc ......... go faster stuff.

AXing this weekend. The new A7' s I just put on it are bitching. Moved up about 15 spots in the pecking order.
peteyd
Cary,

Nice work! keep up the good pace. Your rosette welds are looking great too

Pete
worn
QUOTE(cary @ May 15 2015, 06:14 AM) *

aster stuff.

AXing this weekend. The new A7' s I just put on it are bitching. Moved up about 15 spots in the pecking order.

Super in law, super sons, super cars, and super work, and I bet super driving. Have fun with the autocross. Reminds us that there is driving to be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.