Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Chris H.
OK got it all back together...hope to report back good news (and videos, pics, etc) soon. STand by....
76-914
popcorn[1].gif Have you guessed what happens that makes those roll pins "directional? poke.gif After all this teasing you better have some gooood video. biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Well, I figured out which way NOT to pound out my pedal cluster roll pin if you recall that.

The 944 CVs were the wrong spline count (must be 33, not 25...roughly pre-1987 is what you need) so I just slapped another 914 CV in and it works fine. I think one of the bearings popped out during the multitude of times I took the inner one on and off the trans stub. Ran it around the block...and now it's RAINING headbang.gif ! Video is coming though...2nd gear is good!
76-914
av-943.gif lol-2.gif I knew you'd like it. Bob had warned me but was still surprised. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
What does rain look like? confused24.gif
Chris H.
Really need to do some updating here, but just thought I'd post the best cut of a VERY SHORT video I made for a friend who's recovering from surgery. It's a wobbly cell phone video but the sound is worth it. Had to keep it hands-free. The car isn't done, but at least I can drive it now. Need to finish the interior and button up the wiring better. Then once I get it done I will take it all apart and get it painted.

Anyway, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDn43wU498E

Pretty familiar noise eh? Bob made the exhaust for his EG33, which of course sounds great. He kept saying it was "gonna be loud", but I like it just how it is. Any softer and it'd be too quiet. Wish I would have shut up entirely during the vid but the adrenaline takes over.

Thanks to all who offered advice, help, posted pics, fixed stuff I broke, sent me free parts, etc. I'll try to return the favor any time I can.

Next up is the interior and a little work on the wiring harness to pretty it up.

76-914
piratenanner.gif You da man. Sounds great, Fun as Hell, huh? It was worth it, right? Congrats.
Chris H.
Definitely worth it. Wouldn't be driving it without that clutch plate you made. Holding up nicely and the clutch is very light... beerchug.gif

ThePaintedMan
So cool!!! Congrats Chris! piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 4 2014, 08:00 AM) *

I'd rather put the effort into new lettering for the engine grill that says PORSCHARU.

biggrin.gif

You can get individual auto style letters on ebay. Ran across them looking for certain numbers...
76-914
Hey Chris, I forgot to ask, how's the cooling system performing?
Chris H.
Well the weather has been a lot cooler around here so it's been cooling fine. Haven't taken it on a ride longer than about 15 minutes but the temp hasn't spiked at all. TBM is confirmed for cooling. Finally got the Renegade Hybrids front valance (they had to make some more), need to install that this weekend and it should direct the air in a little better.

Also noticed that the brakes are really good. Those porterfield R4-S pads make quite a difference.
DBCooper
Sure does sound good. If it goes even half as well as it sounds then you got yourself a winner.

Chris H.
Goes pretty good DB. It won't beat the turbocharged red monster I've seen videos of but it's fun. If you're ever in town let me know.
BIGKAT_83
Does this mean I get a ride Sunday?
Chris H.
Sure, but I want you to drive it as well if you want to.
Chris H.
Man is it gonna be a great 914 day. BIGKAT_83 is on his way to my house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFFxllJEhQ

scotty b
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 2 2014, 08:08 AM) *

Man is it gonna be a great 914 day. BIGKAT_83 is on his way to my house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFFxllJEhQ

confused24.gif
76-914
poke.gif Yea Chris, I want an update on that controller. That is as soon as you finish shoveling snow. happy11.gif When you gonna start one Scoot? It'd be easy for a man of your skills.
scotty b
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 17 2014, 06:19 PM) *

poke.gif Yea Chris, I want an update on that controller. That is as soon as you finish shoveling snow. happy11.gif When you gonna start one Scoot? It'd be easy for a man of your skills.

got a car
got a plan
got the engine ( SVX )
got 90% of the parts
don't have the time right now sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2014, 08:05 AM) *

got a car
got a plan
got the engine ( SVX )
got 90% of the parts

Scatty's svx build wil be practice for when he builds mine biggrin.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2014, 06:05 AM) *

got a car
got a plan
got the engine ( SVX )
got 90% of the parts

Speaking of your plan, are you using Ians cradle or building one of your own?
scotty b
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 18 2014, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2014, 06:05 AM) *

got a car
got a plan
got the engine ( SVX )
got 90% of the parts

Speaking of your plan, are you using Ians cradle or building one of your own?

Probably make my own. I've not been able to get hold of him. Tried 2-3 times to buy one from him as I don't need to try and find the time to fab one myself confused24.gif
Chris H.
It was fun.

Ah just playin'

Bob was really helpful as usual. The car still needs some work for sure, it still runs a tad hot after a while and my trans is still whining a bit on decel. Unfortunately the weather has dropped to 20 degrees around here so no further work has been done headbang.gif. I think we have it all figured out though.

On the cooling thing I just need a bigger opening up front and it'll be good. Pretty much EXACTLY what Kent did in his thread. As Kent mentioned we also decided to switch over to a universal fan controller which is much simpler. I think Mike Bellis uses one. You just jam a sensor into the rad fin and the fans come on at the preset temp. The ECU was not flipping over from low speed to high which is probably a sensor...not spending $200ish on that when I can get a more reliable complete setup that has a built in relay and provision for A/C switching as well as an override wire you can hook up to a switch to turn on the fans any time you want for ~$40. I'll post pics when I install it.

Scotty, PM me....you probably should fab a mount for the EG33. The engine is a little long for Ian's cradle in my opinion. Mine was almost touching the firewall so I switched to Bob's custom fabbed mount. I'll be happy to shoot some pics of the mount for you. It's very simple. You could make it in a day (or less) out of a early 914 mount. Have to take the engine out this winter anyway...
76-914
Make your own Scoot. Ian is busy starting life. Or at least he was last year. That's what prompted me to make my own mount. <$150 in materials. You've got an Aircraft Spruce on the East Coast. Order the 4130 .090" Chromoloy. You'll need a bender. HF has them for $99 on sale. You might look at some EZ30's, also. Lighter and much shorter. beerchug.gif
Mike1981
Hello Chris

Conversion looks great

May I ask what did you use for the grommets for the coolant lines running through the front firewall to the radiator?

I currently have a conversion and am looking to improve the grommet protection I currently have

Thanks

Mike
Chris H.
Hi Mike,

Thank you. Still working out a few kinks but I learned a lot. Also made some good friends which I actually like better than the car.

What I did for the grommets was to take a couple of pieces of extra rubber vacuum hose and cut them length-wise so that they can be pushed onto the metal lip like a grommet. They are about the same diameter and type as windshield washer sprayer hose. Then I trimmed them to size width-wise and glued them in place using a very small amount of rubber cement.

mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2014, 02:39 PM) *

Make your own Scoot. Ian is busy starting life. Or at least he was last year. That's what prompted me to make my own mount. <$150 in materials. You've got an Aircraft Spruce on the East Coast. Order the 4130 .090" Chromoloy. You'll need a bender. HF has them for $99 on sale. You might look at some EZ30's, also. Lighter and much shorter. beerchug.gif

I've heard (and read) that they're not the ideal setup for an EG33 so I was planning on making my own also. If you've got ideas let's throw them around until we've got a plan. I've got ideas of my own but then I tend to overengineer things a bit... they work tho! idea.gif
EZ30s work great but I've already got a complete SVX with everything that's needed for cheap- I don't really want to get into a different setup with more expense at this time...
Mike1981
Very Clever Chris

Thanks for sharing this tip

Mike

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 18 2014, 06:56 PM) *

Hi Mike,

Thank you. Still working out a few kinks but I learned a lot. Also made some good friends which I actually like better than the car.

What I did for the grommets was to take a couple of pieces of extra rubber vacuum hose and cut them length-wise so that they can be pushed onto the metal lip like a grommet. They are about the same diameter and type as windshield washer sprayer hose. Then I trimmed them to size width-wise and glued them in place using a very small amount of rubber cement.

scotty b
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 18 2014, 10:04 AM) *

Scotty, PM me....you probably should fab a mount for the EG33. The engine is a little long for Ian's cradle in my opinion. Mine was almost touching the firewall so I switched to Bob's custom fabbed mount. I'll be happy to shoot some pics of the mount for you. It's very simple. You could make it in a day (or less) out of a early 914 mount. Have to take the engine out this winter anyway...

Glad you told me this. shades.gif
Chris H.
Yeah it still works, but very close quarters. I actually changed mine because the exhaust setup I had didn't work with the cradle style mount. The EG shorty manifolds I got from Bob interfered with the cross-braces so I cut them and planned to relocate them, but it still hit the rear mounts a bit. With this particular engine it's just easier to use a mount similar to amenson's. Literally a couple of pieces of very strong iron bolted and welded to an early mount up front and some trans hangers out back.

Not knocking Ian's cradle at all BTW, it's very high quality at half the cost of other ones out there. Very hard to design one that fits every single engine Subaru makes. It should fit every other motor quite well.

Based on the ad (or what I remember of it...) that's a good engine you have Scotty and should last a long time. I'd stick with it. You'll love the power and sound. Use a long magnaflow muffler turned sideways like speed metal army's or 911 exhaust and it'll sound pretty 911ish. Same firing order and everything. Once you're ready to get it going I'll be glad to talk to you about the process and what I messed up along the way so you can avoid the same issues biggrin.gif ... Anyone attempting an EG33 can ping me really.
Chris H.
Here's the BIGKAT mount when it arrived this summer:

Click to view attachment

The trans hangers are attached for shipping but you should be able to get the idea for now. Is that easy (looking) or what? The geometry will take some thought but there are reference points at the holes on the mount I can measure. Pretty much just need to get it level and straight side to side. If you're not a welder it would be worth paying someone to do the final welds. Only hits two of the three engine mount holes but keep in mind you really only use one bolt per side when using stock mounts (which are not used in this scenario). Plenty strong and you have more room for exhaust options.
BIGKAT_83
If I only had the money$$$$ I'd pay this guy to build a mount and headers.
By far the best out there.

Precision Chassis Works..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Yeah that is a tasty setup Bob. I look at that thing all the time now that you pointed it out. Boxster 5 speed trans? Love how they pushed the exhaust forward and then back.

Sounds pretty good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_vWc87e1c

Were those magnaflow mufflers or some exotic expensive things?
914forme
Click to view attachment

Looks like Magnaflow rounds to me, and Burns SS pieces where use to fab the collectors. Pretty easy when you get right down to it. Easy of me to say, now me getting it done, thats another matter. Oh Santa, please bring me a plasma Cutter and Tig Welder. santa_smiley.gif
Chris H.
Pretty easy when you get right down to it. Easy of me to say, now me getting it done, thats another matter. Oh Santa, please bring me a plasma Cutter and Tig Welder. santa_smiley.gif

EASY? If that's easy for you Stephen I can't wait for your build thread!

FYI all I MIGHT be getting a close look at Bob's car in a few weeks. I'll post videos and pics if so. It'll be great to see a really nice well-known car that's done, sorted, and has some miles on it. I might even DRIVE it aktion035.gif driving.gif piratenanner.gif chowtime.gif . He's just about got the LS car done too. Here's a couple of pics I snagged from his blog:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

How 'bout that paint?
Chris H.
Bob,

That thing looks amazing. So it's an LS Corvette engine mated to a Boxster trans... Can't wait to see it in person.

Those two teeners look like caged animals behind the fence (other one is a V8 conversion too) biggrin.gif .
euro911
NICE drooley.gif
914forme
Chris, Uh yeah, we will see if my skills keep up with my mind. Luckily I have a pro welder that can do some work for me. Welds tanks all night for his job. Guy lays perfect dimes. So when are you going to see Bob's cars? Man we all need detailed shots of those cars. I think Bob has the marketing savvy of Hugh Hefner. Just give us enough of a picture that we want to see more and more. I would love for him to write up detailed threads of the builds, I know they guy is supper busy, and you have to respect the fact, his cars get done.
76-914
Dang. Saw this pop up and thought you had begun work on your car again. Obviously, there are no Eskimo's or none of Admiral Byrd's DNA in your clan. lol-2.gif . I guess it will be March before you get back into it again? sad.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 20 2015, 07:27 AM) *

Chris, Uh yeah, we will see if my skills keep up with my mind. Luckily I have a pro welder that can do some work for me. Welds tanks all night for his job. Guy lays perfect dimes. So when are you going to see Bob's cars? Man we all need detailed shots of those cars. I think Bob has the marketing savvy of Hugh Hefner. Just give us enough of a picture that we want to see more and more. I would love for him to write up detailed threads of the builds, I know they guy is supper busy, and you have to respect the fact, his cars get done.

I have been working in Toledo off and on for the last 2 couple of months. I drive down I-75 thru Dayton.
I've been thinking about giving you a call and stop by and check out your car.

Talk about being all over the place I'm working in Chile now. They run the DAKAR rally in South America now and it came within 6 miles of where I'm working. Got to see some of the trucks and bikes.

sawzall-smiley.gif Bob sawzall-smiley.gif
DBCooper
Chile? Cool. You at least come and go through Santiago, I'm sure. You know that huge TV/Radio tower downtown that you can see from everywhere? I've been to the top of it.

Oops. Hijack, sorry, I won't do that again.

BIGKAT_83
Spent last weekend in Santiago.............Damn nice place(where I was at) Saw a few new Porsches.
biggrin.gif Bob biggrin.gifI
Chris H.
Yeah I really need to update the thread on my trip to Bob's. Unfortunately there are no pics. It was a really weird, very cold, frozen-fog-in-the-air kind of day so pics were darn near impossible. I was able to spend a couple of hours there and will be going back soon to get some parts.

First, DB, no need to worry about hijacking. The thread is for interesting comments at this point, random or not!

So about the cars...

The blue EZ30 car is a “finished” conversion. It was cold when I got there, he cranked it up and then we looked around his shop for about 20 minutes. The thing just sat there idling, never even heated up all the way. You could hardly hear it running. We took it out and drove it for quite a while “spiritedly” (not crazy). It never got above 180 degrees and the needle didn't move at all, just like a stock Subie. Seemed like you could cruise along all day in it. Just felt solid. The exhaust system has an extra center muffler in it (look in his blog) which makes it sound really nice. Porsche-ish. It has power windows also. His shifter is like butter, a little longer throw than the MR2 and you hardly have to touch it to move it. Might have to reattach my extension. Also noticed than my shifter needs adjustment. 1st and 2nd gears are way too far left on mine. The suspension was tight too. I think it's all 911. It's a NICE driver, not a show car, and man does it run, stop, and turn well.

Bob's selling it for what sounded like a very fair price, so if anyone is thinking about a conversion but hasn't done much yet, you should take a look at this car. Skip the headaches. If I hadn't owned my car for 13 years I'd be all over it.

He also has an EZ30R engine and a trans already set up with a locking spool he's about to sell. The EZ30R is rated at 250hp. If anyone wants a cool engine for a conversion jump on it before he puts it on NASIOC.

The gray LS car is going to be a show quality car. He was working on getting the trans connected to the engine properly when I saw it. The adapter plate wasn't cooperating but he'll figure it out. Anyway it has Wilwood brakes, needle bearing suspension, Fikse wheels, the paint is very nice, he has deleted the vent grill up front and the fender seams, the hood will have a Mustang GT350 vent in it for radiator exhaust (looks really cool). The interior is super nice as well with all new inserts and seats. Looks like he used the Boxster center console too. The gauge console is all digital. There are a lot of cool little details; like he zinc plated the hood hinges, stuff like that. The suspension is set up to handle the engine power, which is key. Should be a very well balanced beast. And it WILL be a beast.

Did you get that Camaro yet Bob? Let's see that thing.

And Hi Kent bye1.gif . It warmed up a little around here. I'm hoping to get that new radiator fan switch installed this weekend if I can stand it in the garage. Also got new fans for my rad. The SVX ones pull air in weird directions. Picked up the ones for the Celica GTS rad.
euro911
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 20 2015, 11:34 AM) *
... You know that huge TV/Radio tower downtown that you can see from everywhere? I've been to thetop of it. ...

Now I understand what prompted you to parachute out of the back of that 727 over Oregon laugh.gif
DBCooper
Yeah. About that. I just want to point out that all the speculation was correct and I didn't survive the fall, I swear. Plus the statue of limitations has expired. Long, long expired.

914forme
Chris, I have been working on my car, its just been under cover like the Manhattan Project. shades.gif biggrin.gif

Pondering engine and transmission mounting currently. Had a design i my head, bringing the engine and trans under the car just did not make it work for me. So back to the drawing board.

And I still have not brought myself to cut the car, confused24.gif I have a cut it up before not thinking about the future value, when the cars where cheap it was easy. Need a huge front sway bar, put it in. Build the mounts weld it up. Need to stiffen the frame, weld the parts in. So why ca't I cut a trunk, or an engine shelf. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

To that end I did flip the manifold which brings up a huge set of other issues, but it does fit better.

Click to view attachment

Not sure if I am going to do it this way or not.
76-914
Steve, if you have a chance; weigh the complete drive train. I'd like to know the difference.
Chris H.
Stephen,

Interesting...I'm seriously thinking about flipping mine and welding up the hole I cut for the intake. How hard was it? I hate that hole too!

EDIT: and did you flip JUST the top portion of the intake or both sections (it has 2 pieces)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.