Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
76-914
I think he made a number of changes so anything is possible. dry.gif Whatever it is he'll work it out. I just want for him to feel "the power" for once.
DBCooper
Actually this is the fun/exciting part, isn't it? No matter what happens.

914forme
wanting to hear vroom vrooom hissyfit.gif
76-914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 7 2016, 05:15 PM) *

Actually this is the fun/exciting part, isn't it? No matter what happens.

Well, yes and no. I'm sure Chris is ready for some "fun & exciting" moments before he has to do more work. Kinda like the carrot/Donkey formula. biggrin.gif
wingnut86
Careful guys...

Fun can also mean:

F-ire
U-nder
N-eath

Let him complete a self-paced shakedown cruise...

DBCooper
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jul 7 2016, 06:28 PM) *

Fun can also mean:

F-ire
U-nder
N-eath

OMG, PLEASE don't say that out loud. Ouch. Think it, fine, but not out loud, no.

Chris H.
Wow what a long walk ! What day is it! biggrin.gif ?

Nah not really it rained most of the afternoon. Had to head out early this morning and couldn't even drive it. Streets just dried out.

Video is uploading! 20 minutes and it should be ready. It's not very exciting but it's a video.
DBCooper
So until the video, how did it go? You a happy guy?

Chris H.
Overall yes definitely. It runs a lot better. Way more responsive. The engine fits a lot better in the car. Still have a minor issue with low idle but I think I just need a new MAF. Meant to order one anyway.
Chris H.
Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAJjwLiMmU

You'll notice the temps edged up to 190 near the end. there was an air pocket in the system that eventually worked its way out. Added almost a half gallon of coolant when it cooled down. Once it's air-free it stays around 180 or so.
flmont
Great video Chris,...could U remember the MPH as U go thru the gears,..and yea,.man sounds great too,...!!!
914forme
Sounds great piratenanner.gif BTW wasn't that Bob's complaint about his EG, he would forget it was running at idle. Nice to see it go, all that hard work paid off, and glad to see you got the intake flip worked out.
mgp4591
So when you get your new MAF, have you given thought to the Z32 unit from Nissan? It's a larger diameter piece for more airflow and it's supposed to be fairly easy to wire up even though you may be tired of conversion projects by now...
Also, do you think the torque increase is from the added intake runner length? It makes sense that it would but I thought the whole object of this exercise was the fitment issues without cutting into the trunk space.
Great job and thanks for the video - I think that's going to be a project for me also when the time comes. Thanks for the inspiration and the intensive documentation!
A&P Mech
Congratulations! You guys are making think I need to pull the 2.5L 4 cylinder out and replace it with a six! headbang.gif
76-914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Super fantastic results and you deserve it. beerchug.gif I'm proud of you for sticking with it. None of us talk about it but when things go awry, as the often do, it is disheartening at best. Not to mention the effect it has upon your attitude. Ya did good Bud. I'm glad that you finally can "feel the power". sheeplove.gif awesome, isn't it? It's as if the car thanks you for the transplant and repays you with the feel of force and a six cylinder symphony. Your probably going to find any excuse you can in order to drive it for the next several months. And you will, so have you updated your insurance to reflect your cars value? Did you take your wife and daughter for a ride yet? My wife starts screaming and punching me whenever I floor it. happy11.gif What video recorder did you use? It picks up the sound very well. At what point did you realize that this wasn't "Your Father's 914" and would need some time to learn how to harness the new found power.
Again, congratulations. I'm happy for you. beerchug.gif kent
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jul 8 2016, 05:53 AM) *

Congratulations! You guys are making think I need to pull the 2.5L 4 cylinder out and replace it with a six! headbang.gif

That 2.5 is nothing to sneeze at. Besides, we all have the same Speed Limit signs to deal with. beerchug.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2016, 06:54 AM) *
Did you take your wife and daughter for a ride yet? My wife starts screaming and punching me whenever I floor it. happy11.gif

That's funny. My sister lives in France, thirty years of tiny Fiats and other tin econo boxes. When she was over visiting for a summer I gave her a ride, top off, cute little red car, same size as what she's used to. As soon as we were out of the neighborhood I hit it hard and she stuck her arms and legs straight out, bracing for whatever was exploding and about to hit. Straight out, rigid, terror. I laughed like a fool, got her just like when we were kids. Later I let her take her husband out and she did the same thing to him.

My granddaughter used to laugh like crazy, too, but now that she's bigger and more responsible, she says "Grandpa, too fast!!"

Chris H.
Thanks everyone for all the support. Really appreciate it. Thanks for all the parts Bob and Steve! The flip was very successful and I got several small issues resolved I didn't know I had! The oil leak is fixed too. Funny thing is that one of the main problems is still there (idle issue) but since I pretty much changed everything else out or tested it I am nearly 100% sure it's the MAF (which rolled off the trunk...). No one was home when I took it out but I'm sure they will all want rides. Works for me!

The MAF is a known issue with the SVX. They get old and are extremely sensitive to vibration. Some people re-solder them (might try that). You can use a Legacy MAF from the same era. $35 vs $150. I don't know how a Nissan Z32 MAF would react with stock injectors. Anyone have an opinion on that? I know there would be no performance improvement. Just need a different connector to use that I would assume.

The performance improvement is just due to the fact that I replaced the sensor (s) and fixed the MAF wiring. The old intake was actually much longer. Now you can be going 20 in 3rd and step on it and it picks right up. Bob liked the fact that you could literally drive the Subaru 6s around in 5th gear all the time if you wanted. And yes he sometimes couldn't hear his at idle and he did my exhaust. I painted it with ceramic paint. Will post pics right after this.

Frank, I don't know the speeds but I shifted around 5k RPM. Can't really get past 2nd that way in town. Then on to 3rd if you want to keep the revs up...

Ray, if you knew how many times I said "if this doesn't go well I'll buy a late model 2.5 and BE DONE WITH IT" you'd feel great about your engine. I like the EG33 a lot but my next motor will probably be a 4. Maybe the BRZ when it gets cheaper or an EJ25.

Realcarfreak
Thanks very much for posting the test drive video! smilie_pokal.gif
It is really inspiring to see them and helps keep me motivated to work on my project.

Thanks again for sharing the progress of your build.

A&P Mech
Hey Chris, it looks like you are running SpeedHut gauges. How big of a job was it to install them? It looks like your running the GPS speedometer. Can you give me some feedback. I am getting ready to order a set.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Realcarfreak @ Jul 8 2016, 12:58 PM) *

It is really inspiring to see them and helps keep me motivated to work on my project.

Hey you bought your stuff from the right guy. Bob is very knowledgeable. I'm pretty familiar with the parts you bought. Good stuff. Did you buy the R motor or the D motor?

Hey Ray, the Speedhut gauges are very easy to install.

The few very minor challenges are:

- The gauges are just slightly smaller than the openings for the stock 914 cluster. You can wrap them a but with tape and then use the rubber rings, or add a little filler inner ring piece, or make your own face plate. They are BARELY smaller. And you need the 4 1/2 tach and 4" speedo and quad. They measure the faces, not the barrels like VDO.

- The senders for the quad gauge for water temp and oil pressure are 1/8 NTP. Not the same as Subaru at all. For oil pressure I found a nice adapter. Let me look it up and post it here later tonight. For water temp I just got an aluminum 1.25 hose adapter with a 1/8 NPT in it that is made for water temp.

- The oil pressure and water temp wires are too short because they are made for a car with the engine up front so you have to extend them. You COULD put the water temp up front but it really should be very close to the engine. You CANNOT replace your Subaru temp sensor with it. That one has to stay where it is.

The GPS speedo is so easy it's ridiculous. Power it, plug the antenna in. You could also get one that hooks to your trans VSS but I like the GPS better.

914forme
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jul 8 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Hey Chris, it looks like you are running SpeedHut gauges. How big of a job was it to install them? It looks like your running the GPS speedometer. Can you give me some feedback. I am getting ready to order a set.

agree.gif review would be nicesee we must have pushed the post button at close to the same time. In reality I am sure your typing faster than me, I am two key fingers down. Still thinking I am going to roll my own, but as the car gets closer and closer screwy.gif (I live in my own reality)I think Speed Huts would be a great solution. E-mailed them today and asked if they could put a boast gauge into the speedo or quad gauge. happy11.gif

On the MAF to read the Z MAF you need a ROM Flash, if you can find a stage 2 tune chi,p I say go for it, but you also need bigger injectors. I see a slippery slope ahead sign there to your right.

Grab a 35 dollar MAF, or let me see if I still have mine, and I will ship it up. I sure as hell don't plan on using it.
CptTripps
Awesome job man!
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 8 2016, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Realcarfreak @ Jul 8 2016, 12:58 PM) *

Hey you bought your stuff from the right guy. Bob is very knowledgeable. I'm pretty familiar with the parts you bought. Good stuff. Did you buy the R motor or the D motor?

Hey Ray, the Speedhut gauges are very easy to install.

The few very minor challenges are:

- The gauges are just slightly smaller than the openings for the stock 914 cluster. You can wrap them a but with tape and then use the rubber rings, or add a little filler inner ring piece, or make your own face plate. They are BARELY smaller. And you need the 4 1/2 tach and 4" speedo and quad. They measure the faces, not the barrels like VDO.

- The senders for the quad gauge for water temp and oil pressure are 1/8 NTP. Not the same as Subaru at all. For oil pressure I found a nice adapter. Let me look it up and post it here later tonight. For water temp I just got an aluminum 1.25 hose adapter with a 1/8 NPT in it that is made for water temp.

- The oil pressure and water temp wires are too short because they are made for a car with the engine up front so you have to extend them. You COULD put the water temp up front but it really should be very close to the engine. You CANNOT replace your Subaru temp sensor with it. That one has to stay where it is.

The GPS speedo is so easy it's ridiculous. Power it, plug the antenna in. You could also get one that hooks to your trans VSS but I like the GPS better.

Bob has a "30D" for sale?
Chris H.
Thanks Doug! Nice to see you!

You can look at my gauges at Garold's and see what you think Steve. I might try soldering my MAF but if you have one that's awesome.

Kent I think Bob just had an EZ30R left come to think of it. That one was fairly low mileage too. Now the aftermarket systems have finally caught up with the OEM technology so you can run the variable valve timing and stuff.

914forme
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 8 2016, 03:31 PM) *

I think Speed Huts would be a great solution. E-mailed them today and asked if they could put a boast gauge into the speedo or quad gauge. happy11.gif

Got my response back from Speed Hut, they can not or will not do it. Bummer
mgp4591
[quote name='Chris H.' post='2369171' date='Jul 8 2016, 03:28 PM']

You can look at my gauges at Garold's and see what you think Steve. I might try soldering my MAF but if you have one that's awesome.

Aw, c'mon Chris... Looking at posts on the SVX says that the Z32 plus 370 injectors with an chipped ECU will give you over 300 hp. Wouldn't you like that??
On the other hand if I were you, I'd probably be satisfied (for awhile!) with your current upgrades and just wanna drive the damn thing!
And was your previous setup functioning so poorly that you weren't getting all of the engine to the ground? I never saw that in your posts so now you have me wondering... idea.gif
mepstein
[quote name='mgp4591' date='Jul 8 2016, 08:20 PM' post='2369224']
[quote name='Chris H.' post='2369171' date='Jul 8 2016, 03:28 PM']

Aw, c'mon Chris... Looking at posts on the SVX says that the Z32 plus 370 injectors with an chipped ECU will give you over 300 hp. Wouldn't you like that??
On the other hand if I were you, I'd probably be satisfied (for awhile!) with your current upgrades and just wanna drive the damn thing!
And was your previous setup functioning so poorly that you weren't getting all of the engine to the ground? I never saw that in your posts so now you have me wondering... idea.gif
[/quote]
Who does the upgrade on the eg33 to get to 300hp? I remember seeing a website at one time but didn't save the info. Thanks.
flmont
mepstein,... it may be Subiechips LLc,.. he said a couple months back he no longer builds SVX motors,.but his website offers those upgrades,But he has no phone number listed ,..So Iam not sure how safe it is to order from that site,..?? plus when I asked about HP and Torque numbers he said he didn't have that info,..??,..But delta cams ,will do cams for SVX engines....
Chris H.

Yeah we'll see. It's plenty fast for me really. The MAF sensor plug was not grounded and I had a bad crank angle sensor so the timing was way off before. Suddenly had a lot of backfiring and loss of power after I hooked up the VSS. Maybe a coincidence but the VSS does provide input that can affect the performance. That's why the power was way down. Initially it was good so the sensor must have gone bad gradually.

Mark, here is some info on the upgrade to Nissan MAF/Injectors/rechip

Subiechips Site

On the Subaru-SVX site the guy who makes these offers group buys (same guy). It's $13 off for every person who orders one, up to a certain number. They can be the standard rechip that just remaps the ECU or the modified one. So if we had say, 5 people buy one the price for each would go down $65 per.

Group Buy Info
DBCooper
Sounds like fun and would get you into pretty fast company. When did Porsche sixes get to 300 hp, do you know?

Andyrew
Sounds fan tastic!!!!!

Congrats on the accomplishment!
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 8 2016, 10:22 PM) *

Yeah we'll see. It's plenty fast for me really. The MAF sensor plug was not grounded and I had a bad crank angle sensor so the timing was way off before. Suddenly had a lot of backfiring and loss of power after I hooked up the VSS. Maybe a coincidence but the VSS does provide input that can affect the performance. That's why the power was way down. Initially it was good so the sensor must have gone bad gradually.

Subiechips Site

On the Subaru-SVX site the guy who makes these offers group buys (same guy). It's $13 off for every person who orders one, up to a certain number. They can be the standard rechip that just remaps the ECU or the modified one. So if we had say, 5 people buy one the price for each would go down $65 per.

Group Buy Info

That sounds like the site - I didn't save it either but the group buy info has me thinking hard on it! Using the Outfront headers that they build will help alot also... The idea for cams I'm not too hip on considering the cost involved vs. the performance gains. A turbo or two would be nice also but that's a huge step cost wise - the power out of those engines is pretty crazy, even without really going into the engine for upgrades and keeping that high compression setup. Over 400hp without going into internals for a stock block EG is pretty tempting.
Okay... I'll concentrate on my project and stop dreaming.
mepstein
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 9 2016, 12:31 AM) *

Sounds like fun. That would get you into pretty fast company. When did Porsche sixes get to 300 hp, do you know?

Later version of the 3.6.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 9 2016, 12:22 AM) *

Subiechips Site

Group Buy Info

I see the site and the info. Thanks!
Version 1 will have a stock eg33 to get car running.
Version 2 - a 300 hp NA engine would be a fun ride. The suby trans and running gear is all being built to handle that kind of power.
914forme
400HP on an EG is a pretty easy make to hit. They are a very stout engine. Run E85 and I see no reason to touch the internals to hit the 400HP mark. You have to add some positive pressure to get there though.

This is a Bugeye running internally stock EG33 with a turbo. Puts out 447HP on 7 PSI of boost.

Seems like a great idea to me confused24.gif

Chris H.
Thanks Andrew!

I finally found that sensor tee. Here's what I used for the oil pressure sensor:

Pressure sensor adapter

This isn't quite the cheapest one but it gives the best explanation. Most Japanese cars have 1/8 BSPT sender threads, while the more common one speed hut comes with is 1/8 NPT. This one allows you to use both. The Subaru sender is pretty big so it sits on top.

I used this for water temp.

water temp 1.25 pipe

Don't think I bought it from Taiwan but who knows... Just added a small section of hose and put it it right by the outlet. You could also tap the pipe itself on the engine, I just wasn't quite confident enough to do that with aluminum.
flmont
where did U get those headers,.??? Thanks
914forme
Bob Bigkat_83, but I do believe they are from outfront motorsports items.
flmont
I hope to be all over the Z32 plus injectors,with re-ground cams, if the cams are worth the trouble, the subie chips guy said he would only do the intake cams....But, I assume that you need to go duel Z32's and duel MAF's ??
914forme
I am so confused.

Z32 you only need one, as it is a MAF. Will require an ECU reprogram or PROM

Cams yes intake, you have two of them on the EG33

Header, they are short tube non equal length from outfront. I did calculate the proper length of header, and am still trying to figure out how to cram ~36" from port to collector into the back of a 914.

BTW, one way around the cams is forced induction. The EG is not a bad breathing engine, it is just not great.

Chris H.
Side note: last time I visited Bob (BIGKAT_83) he had a nice pair of EG33 cams. If he still has them he'd probably sell them reasonably. Always wise to have a second set reground so you have the originals in case there is a problem at the machine shop.
flmont
914forme,...Ha ha,..well I didn't know the Z32 was a MAF,..I thought it was a throttle body,..and since the 3.3 had 2 intake's that it would take 2,So MAF is a airflow sensor,..?? the subiechips site talks about installing 2 ea,..IDK,SO ,.good ,.I only need one.....
914forme
EG33 uses one MAF.

You need one Z32 MAF, these are from Nissan Products, can be found as the day is long on eBay. It is a 300zx MAF.

You will need one ECUTune Stage 2 upgrade chip. NLA as far as I can tell. Or use SubieChips.com stuff.

You will need larger injectors 370cc is what it is setup for, they can also do others. Nissan skyline injectors stock units.

Unless you are turning the engine, you do not need twin MAFs just complicates the build, that would then be twin turbos, air cleaners, mucho bigger injectors and then rough transitions that can come from mucho bigger injectors.

Other way around is an aftermarket ECU, then you can do all sorts of crazy things, like staged injectors, etc...

It would take all the above mods, and then performance cams, and headers to get close to 280HP, maybe E85. After that your looking at forcing more air into the engine and E85, and aftermarket ECU, and intercoolers..... list goes on and on, don't forget oiling system modifications.

Did that make it clearer than mud?

Now back to Chris' thread hijacked.gif sorry Chris
Chris H.
Nah, I like this kind of discussion. Go for it. It's VERY HARD to tune a car with 2 MAFs. Leave that for the youngsters. 300 HP in a 914 will scare you pretty good. If you want more than that you need an LS1 or a turbo.

Yes I got my headers from Bob who got them from Outfront. They are very compact.

BTW I painted them up real nice.

Before:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This ceramic paint is really good:

Click to view attachment

Stinks and smokes a little while it's curing for a couple minutes, then it's on there for good. Was pretty sure the wires were melting until I figured out where it was coming from. Then it stopped and no smell at all since.

FYI I think ECUTune and Subiechips might be the same thing.
914forme
one thing of note about the out front header, the collectors are un-finished, meaning no flange provided.

Turbo EG33 is still cheaper than an LS swap, unless you dry sump it with an aftermarket kit. I have a spreadsheet, lol, to much time to think on my hands, as fingers are still down and out for the count.

And I see it is listed as Miami Fl, so could be the same guy
flmont
No,..I would be happy with a EG33,..Stk but just built a little,..injectors, EZ32 and maybe cam's ,..are aftermarket ECU's for that engine crazy expensive,..??
flmont
Oh,..Chris,..I wanted to ask about the oil pan,is it stk,or cut down or a small car version,..?? Thanks...Frank
Chris H.
Stock. It's fine, no need for a cut down version. Although the smallcar one is very nice looking. The stock ECUs are expensive. About $150-$200 aftermarket. $400 OEM.
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 12 2016, 08:21 PM) *

No,..I would be happy with a EG33,..Stk but just built a little,..injectors, EZ32 and maybe cam's ,..are aftermarket ECU's for that engine crazy expensive,..??

That's cheap for a reworked ECU vs. an aftermarket like AEM or the others out there. Cams would be a pain in the butt - welding and regrinding just doesn't feel right to the metallurgist in me... The 4 cam setup and chamber design isn't too bad so throw a larger turbo on it to keep a cooler charge and have it come on later. Those headers keep your ground clearance up and would really work well to pipe up for a turbo. There's a lot of discussion on the SVX threads about proper tuning for a turbo, so investigate thoroughly.
I'm still jazzed about Chris' intake flip and how well everything fits! It sounds great and kicks him in the seat down the road - that's what it's all about!! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.