Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
76-914
Ha ha. I was just thinking to myself that he addressed that. Looking for more from you! beerchug.gif
flmont
Hey Chris H,....is this a new belt and re-seal or did u do any performance work,..like cams,and injector's,...??? Iam trying to decide 3.3 or 3.6 install ,..I have the 3.6 ,but not alot of info for that install,..I'am thinking 3.3 if you can get the pwr from them...??? Thanks Frank
Chris H.
Mine is stock, so it should be about 230 hp. That's quite a bit for a 914 really. If you already have the 3.6 I'd run it stock rather than spending big $$$ on massaging an EG33.
flmont
Yea,..I know , its about another 4500.00 to get the 3.6 on the road,..but I like the EG33 looks,..and they do sound good,...I have no idea what the 3.6 will sound like,..Good luck man,..!!! and Thanks
mgp4591
A 3.3 can be modified without much cash really - the Z32 throttle body from a Nissan Z and the 370 cc injectors with a chip should get you over 300hp. You'd want to team that up with a free breathing intake and exhaust system to fully realize that but the 3.3 is a very restricted engine from the factory by their own admission. A tweak here, a tweak there and you'll have plenty of power. Not Tony power of course but much better than stock!
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 30 2016, 02:24 PM) *

Ha ha. I was just thinking to myself that he addressed that. Looking for more from you! beerchug.gif

So, with the valve disabled and fixed in position, would this would get by the issue people are running into when they turbocharge?
flmont
Yea,..I didnt know it could get to 300,...any piston work needed,..?? what do u think a 3.6 can do on a Extreme link ECU,...???
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ May 30 2016, 08:21 PM) *

Yea,..I didnt know it could get to 300,...any piston work needed,..?? what do u think a 3.6 can do on a Extreme link ECU,...???

It's overbuilt and will easily stand that type of stress - there's folks who've put 10lbs of boost on a stock engine and run it 200k miles. Pretty much bulletproof especially when naturally aspirated.
Like you were saying, it could cost a bunch to install a 3.6. The 3.0 six is the engine a lot here have gone with because of the lighter weight and smaller size. Not too expensive but more so than the 3.3.
flmont
I have indeed been thinking of going EG33,...and dumping the 3.6,..??,...sorry Chris H,..for hi-jacking...FM
Chris H.
I think you'd find the sound to be pretty comparable. Mine sounds a lot like the EZ30. Depends quite a bit on the exhaust you use. Why would the EZ36 cost so much more to get running? $4500?
flmont
Well I need the ecu,..and adapter kit ,.plus,...misc..items exhaust ,fuel pump..etc...
DBCooper
QUOTE(flmont @ May 31 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Well I need the ecu,..and adapter kit ,.plus,...misc..items exhaust ,fuel pump..etc...

Don't you need all those same things no matter which engine you choose?

Chris H.
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 31 2016, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(flmont @ May 31 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Don't you need all those same things no matter which engine you choose?

That's what I was thinking...

The 3.6 is a solid engine Frank. There are a few differences...it has advancements like variable valve timing, drive by wire, etc. Why not run what you got? I would run the hell out of that thing. It's an oversized EZ30. There's a guy with a 911 on NASIOC working on a 3.6 conversion running Megasquirt 3.

911 EZ36

Do you have the wiring harness? Start a thread with what you have and get some comments. Lot of experienced guys here who can help.
mepstein
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 30 2016, 10:13 PM) *

A 3.3 can be modified without much cash really - the Z32 throttle body from a Nissan Z and the 370 cc injectors with a chip should get you over 300hp. You'd want to team that up with a free breathing intake and exhaust system to fully realize that but the 3.3 is a very restricted engine from the factory by their own admission. A tweak here, a tweak there and you'll have plenty of power. Not Tony power of course but much better than stock!

Once I get mine running I'd like to get a second engine to do the mods and see 300hp. With flares, suby trans and 911 running gear it should have no problem keeping it all together.
flmont
Yes,..DB...I do,..But the 3.6 is also so new right now now much is being done with it ,.and, its just cheaper to do SVX stuff and get on the road much sooner ,..its a tried and true set-up from what I see,..and there is just more support for SVX..so it seems,..??
Chris H.
Here's a few updates...fuel injectors checked out fine and will be back tomorrow.

Some modifications I did to simplify things:

First I eliminated some coolant lines. There is a set of lines that run to the heater core on the SVX which I ran a loop of 5/8 " hose as a temp solution initially but realized I just don't need it. If/when I install a heater I'll pipe it from up front rather than running lines all the way up from the engine. I also eliminated the smaller lines that pass through the throttle body. These heat up the throttle body to help the engine run better out of the gate when it's cold, but I don't think it's necessary since I won't be driving my car during the winter and I'm flipping the intake anyway. MANY SVX guys disconnect and do a pass-through on this line because they don't like the fact that it keeps the throttle body hot all the time. They also claim small hp gains rolleyes.gif . It's just cleaner for me. You can see the lines arrowed here, plus there is another one coming out of the silver crossover pipe on the other side.

Click to view attachment

The one on the driver's side runs all the way down to the water pump so it really freed up some space when I took it out. I don't have a good picture of the one connected to the crossover pipe on the passenger side, but here it is cut down to the nub.

Click to view attachment

This is where it gets a little JB Weld crazy...I filled the "nub"with a special JB Marine Weld that has the properties of JB Weld but also can be submerged in water/mildly corrosive liquids indefinitely. It's hard as a rock now and about an inch thick. Not going anywhere. I also filled the smaller port that connected to the throttle body. (The nub is not fully installed yet. I have to paint some stuff.)

Click to view attachment

But did I stop there? Nooooo....I have eliminated my EGR system, but never cut these suckers off...they are in the way.

Click to view attachment

So...I cut them off, taped the underside and...you guessed it...JB Weld!!! If you do this make sure to leave little extra on top and grind it off later. It will settle a bit as it dries over several hours or a day. Then shine a flashlight through to make sure you filled it completely. The holes at the TB underside are VERY small.

Glop on top:

Click to view attachment

30 seconds with the sandpaper dremel attachment

Click to view attachment

And since I eliminated the throttle body coolant line...why not cut these off and save some room since the manifold flip jams a bunch of stuff together?

Click to view attachment

Now what could I stuff in the empty hole... idea.gif ...is there some kind of JB Weld putty? YES.

Click to view attachment

Next I have to slightly reposition my intake valve so I can complete the manifold flip, install the injectors, and get this thing ready to reinstall. I think the alternator positioning is going to cause me problems. We'll see.
ThePaintedMan
Really nice job Chris. You'll also notice two other things -

1) The oil dipstick is now occluded by the intake hose unfortunately. I am thinking of a way to bend mine. For you, not a big deal. For us, checking the oil quickly during a pit stop is important, so I need to figure out how to relocate it without changing the dimensions.

2) The oil filler is occluded too. Again, all you need to do is unclamp the intake and move it out of the way. But for me, I'm having to machine an adapter that allows me to move the filler neck out of the way so we can add oil during pit stops.

Question - do you have a link to the place where you got the blue silicone emissions hoses? I haven't gotten that far yet, but it would be nice to have a known place to shop at.

Great job man, can't wait to see it back in action.

-G
Chris H.
Thanks George. Yikes I had not noticed the oil filler thing yet. Will have to think about that one too. The blue silicone hose I have is from e-bay, BMW 3.5MM. Here's a place that has it for pretty much exactly what I paid 3 years ago:

BMW Blue Hose

Sold by the meter. I think I bought 3M and had a lot left.

Chris H.
Hey George what about turning the air intake (black snorkel piece) the other way so the tube is on the passenger side? Some of the hoses connected to it would need to be longer but it should work the same.
Chris H.
Got the injectors back! They look brand new. I'll leave them in the bag until I reinstall them on the rails. If yours haven't been cleaned in a while...take a look at this:

Click to view attachment

Not terrible, but all it takes is one not flowing well and you have a problem. I had two in the weak category. Should see a difference for sure. Bet the other set is worse since most of the pintle caps broke off in my hand. $17.50 each. Not bad at all.

***EDIT***: Hey BTW I read on the subaru-SVX site that Mr Injector will take the injectors off of the rail for you. I don't think he charges for it. You just send the whole thing. It was an old thread so you might want to confirm.
flmont
Outfront carries a modded Alt. Bracket for the intake flip,..and small car carries a flexable dip stick,..as I remember it,..??? FM
Chris H.
Thanks Frank, I think I got it figured out.

Whoa boys blink.gif ...I realized I was about to get into the DWD zone. I need to finish this and drive it! It's June!

So here are the pretty injectors...Who knew the tips were silver and not gold?? The other two were already on the rail by the time I remembered to take a pic!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A little oil and they snap back onto the rail easily

Click to view attachment

Moving fast now...

Click to view attachment

Figured out what I'm going with the fuel lines since they are routed to pop out the other side. This is pretty exciting since I HATED it that they were on the opposite side from stock 914.

Cut the intake line from the others and bent the line a bit (OK a lot) with a tubing bender ($7.99 at HF)

Click to view attachment

The return line comes off of the regulator.

Click to view attachment
I don't see why I can't just run it from here. I'll run the lines under the intake and secure them as stock SVX so it should be fine.

As for the alternator, I uses George's idea of redeploying the empty power steering holder (it's adjustable) and flipping my alternator using the stock holder to the other side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll secure it to the manifold and where the 5/8 return line used to attach. Looks like I can use a Miata belt (I'll post the part # when I get it, the pic is on my other phone). It's 940mm, or just over 37 inches. BTW I have a TON of WD40 on the adjuster so it will loosen up a bit. That's why it looks nasty biggrin.gif .

Almost ready to put her back in! beerchug.gif
76-914
Way to go Chris. Some righteous progress. Looking good now get off the computer and back in the garage. More pics pls, Senior. beerchug.gif
motoTrooper
Always wanting to see what your next progress post is all about.

One question that crept into my mind when I review your build, is when you switched from the Coldwater cradle to the one from bigkat you stated that the engine was moved back 4 inches so where were the transaxle axle stubs relative to the hubs? Were they 2 inches in front before and then 2 inches behind after the switch? I understand that, for lubrication purposes, you don't necessarily want them perfectly aligned with the hubs but you want them close(ish) yes?

I am going to pick up an engine this week for the Scorpion. So progress.
motoTrooper
Have you seen this semitransparent pic of the SVX? Quite the inclined assembly there!

IPB Image

I had read that positioning it more horizontal requires a lot more oil in the transaxle. Makes a lot more sense after seeing this.
Chris H.
Cool photo. Yes the trans does require a lot more oil when installing more level or even slightly tipped upward.

To answer your previous question, my axles are aligned pretty straight across at this point. As long as they aren't binding there can be an angle to them, in fact some angle is preferred. Stock 914 axles have a fairly pronounced downward pitch to them. Good news that you found an engine!
Chris H.
Hey look at that...it still fits!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

She's down on all four tires!!!

Click to view attachment

Time to reassemble and drive this thing. Mostly cleaned up the work area and removed the ECU and wiring in prep to attack it this weekend. I'll post pics of the flipped intake setup, etc as it goes in. Right out of the gate it was easier to install with the extra little stuff I removed. No getting caught on the old engine seal lip, etc. There were a lot of little hooks and metal o rings attached to the engine, plus the extra plumbing that really took up a lot of space.

76-914
Looks like it will be back on the road again in < 10 days. Way to go, Chris. I know you've got to be amped.
Chris H.
Yes I'm working like a dog to get it back on the road.

I continue to be amazed by the generosity of the people here. Bob took the time to strip an EG33 and give me a ton of parts from it, and now Stephen (914forme) just sent me another box of stuff. Even after I made it pretty clear that the SVX sensors and whatnot are pretty valuable he gave them to me. Also some injectors, etc. Wow. There was one sensor that I had to MacGuyver back together that Bob didn't have...and of course it was in Stephen's box.

Which one of these would you use? (yes, that's JB Weld SO WHAT? I HAVE A PROBLEM! I KNOW! biggrin.gif )

Click to view attachment

So I finished the intake. Realizing that most of you people are just a little smarter than I am. George pointed out that you have to swap the sensors around so the harness lines up correctly. Also you have to slightly rotate the valve mechanism by drilling the holes out a bit. Don't over-tighten it or it won't open/close well in it's new configuration.

Click to view attachment
914forme
Looking good, get this thing fired up.
motoTrooper
Getting very close! Also I like the 'Batman' camera angle shot of the engine/transaxle assembly.

You originally mentioned in your opening post that this was going to be your daughter's car? driving-girl.gif

With all the fine work you've done have you changed your mind? Is it 'dad's car' now? I imagine I'll have some reluctance to part with mine when I get my project finished.
Chris H.
Ha! Well the funny thing is I consider it her car due to the many times that she has stopped me from selling it over the past 14 years. I was planning to do an automatic trans but after discussing it with several members like Bob the options weren't that good. It would have severely hampered the performance if I chose one that was short enough to fit under the car. There are other better options now but I'm down the road. My daughter is going to learn to drive it. I think I MIGHT get it running this weekend. She is chomping at the bit to give it a shot. She will get it someday when she has a place to keep it I'm sure. She's off to college in the fall.

Now this is when you know you're getting old:

Click to view attachment

That's her waiting for a ride a FEW years ago.

mepstein
Mine's off to college in the fall. No interest in one of Dad's wierd 914's.
BIGKAT_83
Got a 13 year old grand daughter that thinks my gray car is for her.

Don't really think that's going to happen.

Bob
Chris H.
Ah no....not with that engine in it. You'll fix her up with something I'm sure Bob.
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 2 2016, 09:03 AM) *

Ha! Well the funny thing is I consider it her car due to the many times that she has stopped me from selling it over the past 14 years. I was planning to do an automatic trans but after discussing it with several members like Bob the options weren't that good. It would have severely hampered the performance if I chose one that was short enough to fit under the car. There are other better options now but I'm down the road. My daughter is going to learn to drive it. I think I MIGHT get it running this weekend. She is chomping at the bit to give it a shot. She will get it someday when she has a place to keep it I'm sure. She's off to college in the fall.

Now this is when you know you're getting old:

Click to view attachment

That's her waiting for a ride a FEW years ago.

What a cutie! Does she OWN Daddy? biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Well YEAH! Her car is 10 years newer than mine. Great kid though.
veekry9
RepeatOffender:
"Uh, that's a 2.2, not a 3.3.
I spent 20 yr's in the Homebuilt Aircraft Industry and never saw an auto conversion that merits the work required.
An exercise in WTF!
An adequate analogy would be, 'Would you put an A/C engine in a car and why?'"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0844&st=424

Click to view attachment
http://77e21.info/mstunedintake.htm
https://flycorvair.net/page/5/?s=cleanex

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure
Some flyers arrive with auto engined 'Experimental'aircraft and have done so since the '60s.
Perhaps you've visited the big show,it's in Wisconsin.Maybe not.
dry.gif
https://www.google.ca/search?q=composite+in...cyyA80Q_AUIBigB
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fabricated+i...oW-vWF_gAohM%3A
The point of the post was the composite manifold tech he used to fit the powerplant into the space limitation,which he did,successfully.
Later,he flew his aircraft with the composite manifold and oil tank,on his Subaru engine without failure.
Having milled,and welded,a billet manifold to reduce weight,the composite method appears to exhibit good advantage in both cost and weight.
I no longer have those pix of the induction system they built some 32+ yrs ago.Perhaps someone in the kitplane industry would have a few.
It was a well thought out and executed solution to the problem to be solved.Made his own manifold design,to fit,perfectly.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=aircraft+eng...Xe7CjAQ_AUIBigB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42w7z7GDmp4
Obviously,for mo' power.WTF.
Why would you put a different engine into a 914 when the original is sufficient?
The answer to that is,the freedom to do so,wanting to and knowing how.
Last year I read of the install and made the observation that a custom composite intake manifold would fit perfectly.
Now,making the female forms and vbagging a cfrp layup would allow one to perhaps market a manifold to others who like the idea of the 914-H6.
A potential sales of a dozen or so world wide,for those who can make the sum of rusted 914 + cheep boxer six.

"To the fundamentalist,the liberated imagination is a sinful taboo.
He not only enslaves his own imagination to his ideology,but wishes to enslave our imaginations too."
biggrin.gif
So,go ahead and build one yourself,for your custom 914-'x' engine install.
/
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/making-a-...ke-tube.257621/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=composite+in...intake+manifold
https://www.youtube.com/user/matthieutje65/videos
/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4a-KLS1AM
/
Chris H.
Today is the day....stand by!

- engine back in
- intake flipped - worked GREAT
- wiring is done
- battery connected, no magic smoke
- fuel in the tank
- cooling system full
- re-engineered alternator pulley/belt system done
- modified stock air intake snorkel complete

Just need to run the larger vacuum lines since they are pointed the other way and we're set. Taking my time so there are no mistakes. I'll post everything I did and the pics later today. I got on a roll so I just kept going. 5 day 914 bender when I wasn't working.

Here are the few "minor" things I found that were wrong...

1. The MAF sensor wire that was labeled "test mode" on several conversion docs was actually the GROUND WIRE. So...I don't need to be Mike Bellis to realize that if the plug is not grounded...the air flow meter is not working. Be VERY CAREFUL using conversion documents for wiring.

2. One of the crank angle sensors was bad as mentioned before

3. There were so many little metal hooks and hangers left on the engine that it did not "hang" straight in the engine bay. I took off all of the unneeded stuff and it is perfectly level now.

4. One of the large vacuum hoses (again it was advised I did NOT need this) was not hooked up. Yeah...it's required.

Don't know how it ran much at all, but have to think the crank sensor went bad gradually. I bet it's WAY faster now. It never idled quite right but it probably will now.

veekry9
Press on regardless,to the other side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyHO6fkvEGU
biggrin.gif
/
76-914
So did you start it? confused24.gif
914forme
agree.gif I'll be gripping a steering wheel tomorrow so 6 weeks will be nothing. driving.gif I am more worried about running my fingers into the console while shifting than gripping the wheel.
Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2016, 05:52 PM) *

I found a couple of small cracks in the plastic intake snorkel...probably not even all the way through but can't take a chance. Waiting for the epoxy to dry. It's killing me. Should be another hour or so.
76-914
Your killing us you know. Slowly but surely your killing us. av-943.gif
flmont
Yea,..I cant wait for the update,..on sound and how it drives,..!!!
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 6 2016, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2016, 05:52 PM) *

I found a couple of small cracks in the plastic intake snorkel...probably not even all the way through but can't take a chance. Waiting for the epoxy to dry. It's killing me. Should be another hour or so.

Is the glue dry yet? Is it running yet? Come on we need an update! biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Yep it started! I just got done with it 10 minutes ago and I started it...it ran like crap. Then I came inside and stewed and then remembered that I moved the wires around for the injectors so they would be more secure...and did not reconnect 2 of them headbang.gif . It seems to run better on all 6. Sorry I can't post a vid tonight (new neighbors with very young ones. Tomorrow morning driving vid!

76-914
It's afternoon and no video. lol wink.gif
Realcarfreak
driving.gif He must still be driving around in it. smile.gif
DBCooper
I sure hope you're right, and he's not walking home right now.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.